• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seating plans project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Following a request by forum staff, I have begun creating seating plans in greater detail than those typically available online. The priority will be reservable services, with non-reservable to follow. The plans will show the location of plug sockets, seats with window view, toilets, luggage areas, and so on.

Moreover, the plans will be consistent and all in one place.

Please note that, for the time being, you will need Excel on a computer to view the seating plans optimally. This is an ongoing project and further information will follow about units that require cross-checking.

Attachments

• 185.png
    185.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,671
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Looks good.

A suggestion for potential improvement, if feasible (probably not using Excel) - the actual window layouts? Some might want to choose more specifically, e.g. to be able to look forwards out of a window.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Looks good.

A suggestion for potential improvement, if feasible (probably not using Excel) - the actual window layouts? Some might want to choose more specifically, e.g. to be able to look forwards out of a window.
Thanks. :) That's a good suggestion and certainly something that can be looked at - it should be possible once the files are converted to JPEG.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks. :) That's a good suggestion and certainly something that can be looked at - it should be possible once the files are converted to JPEG.

Cool. Never understood why so many online seat selectors (e.g. airlines) miss that information. On a plane, once you've got past picking a seat at the front, exit row etc, the window positions are often the only thing differentiating the different rows beyond selecting window, middle or aisle.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Cool. Never understood why so many online seat selectors (e.g. airlines) miss that information. On a plane, once you've got past picking a seat at the front, exit row etc, the window positions are often the only thing differentiating the different rows beyond selecting window, middle or aisle.
Yep, I agree. More than once I've reserved a supposed window seat on VT only to find I get about an inch of glass and ten inches of white train interior <(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Looks good.

Could this be perhaps done by showing the window layout as a side on diagram laid against the vertical plan in much the same way as for a cardboard cut out model?

One could then see at a glance the exact relationship between the seats and the windows, including exactly where the seat back would be in relation to the pillar.

PS That file link won't open; I can read .xls but not .xlsx files...

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Wow, hands full then! I'm rather afraid you'll come unstuck with most of FGW/GWR's reservable services though; the formation of HST sets and 158/9 units is pretty erratic and changes frequently.

Cool project though!

westv

Established Member
This all sounds an excellent project. Maybe somone will come along with a seating plan for my VTEC Hull service.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This all sounds an excellent project. Maybe somone will come along with a seating plan for my VTEC Hull service.
VTEC units are a fairly high priority, after non-London EMTs (eg 158, for which only very basic seating plans are available online) and services local to me (which will be simple to cross-check).

Once I next get the chance to head over to the North East, possibly on a rover, VTEC, GC and HT plans will commence. :)

headshot119

Established Member
I'm sure we started a project like this a few years back, but it fizzled out quite quickly. Hopefully you can give it some momentum.

A little contribution from me.

ATW Class 175 seating plans.

Attachments

• Class 175 seating 2 Car.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Class 175 seating 3 Car.xlsx
    15.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Class 175 seating 2 Car.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 249
  • Class 175 seating 3 Car.pdf
    214.4 KB · Views: 248

acg5324

Back in the early 1990's I worked for BR Business Systems supporting CRS the seat reservation system. Using the technology of the time (paper and Multimate!) I produced for the travel trade a folder showing typical train formations and seating layouts such as Mk3 or Mk4 for WCML, ECML and HST sets plus we did Mk2,s for cross -country etc.
Be interesting to know if anyone out there has acquired one of these.

MancMetro

I will be interested to see the plans for a CrossCountry Voyager when they're done. Recently I booked a ticket on one from Manc-Oxford and was careful to select a seat that the seating plan said had a window view (Coach C Seat 05A). When I boarded the train however, I found that the only view was of a metal pillar. I complained to CrossCountry, but got a poor quality reply, meaning they're still displaying their seating plan with the wrong information.

Master29

Established Member
I will be interested to see the plans for a CrossCountry Voyager when they're done. Recently I booked a ticket on one from Manc-Oxford and was careful to select a seat that the seating plan said had a window view (Coach C Seat 05A). When I boarded the train however, I found that the only view was of a metal pillar. I complained to CrossCountry, but got a poor quality reply, meaning they're still displaying their seating plan with the wrong information.

I`ve noticed this before with XC. On some seats it says window view and there is virtually none and on others a good window viewing space but marked down as "limited or no view."

DenmarkRail

Does anyone think this entire project could be made into an app / separate website? It’s a genuinely good idea, and similar to Trip Advisors ‘seat guru’

skifans

Does anyone think this entire project could be made into an app / separate website? It’s a genuinely good idea, and similar to Trip Advisors ‘seat guru’
It's something I'd like to see happening, don't have much experience with development but I'd help collectunc data.

pt_mad

Established Member
Is anyone able to produce a seat plan for the LNR class 350/1 or /3s?

Can find a TPE 350/4 seat plan on their website. But there are some noticeable differences. First class is larger and priority seats are in different locations.

An amended version of the TPE plan would be good?

skifans

Any takers for making 350/1 or 350/3 plan please???:rolleyes::oops:
I've got a trip booked on a tpe Manchester to Scotland later today and was going to give it a go if it's a 350 - don't know exactly what type they operate though and no promises.

EDIT: Seating plan won't be happening

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
I've got a trip booked on a tpe Manchester to Scotland later today and was going to give it a go if it's a 350 - don't know exactly what type they operate though and no promises.

That's a 350/4 you see. And TPE have one online for theirs.

It's the LNR (2+2) seated version that's of interest. As it's different from the TPE 350s.

And LNR or LM havn't ever done one AFAIK:p

skifans

That's a 350/4 you see. And TPE have one online for theirs.

It's the LNR (2+2) seated version that's of interest. As it's different from the TPE 350s.

And LNR or LM havn't ever done one AFAIK:p
Ahh sorry it won't be from me - rarley venture that far south. Didn't know tpe had some online - doesn't really seem much point duplicating them. I'll see how busy the train is and how board I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.