• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second Hand Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A friend of mine is clearing a late relation's house and there is a load of model railway odds and ends there. Seems to be O gauge or a bit larger. He asked me where he could dispose of it. I know Rails of Sheffield and may be Hattons are worth a try. Does anyone know of anywhere else? Tks. Steve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would he consider selling on eBay? Second hand stuff fetches pretty good money on there.

Peter C

Established Member
From what I've heard, Rails of Sheffield are really quite good. They take in your stuff, give you the money for it, and then put it on their eBay store. Apparently the prices for the stuff you give them are good.

Hope this helps,

-Peter :)

Peter Kelford

Well if it's a collection of 'moveable' objects (e.g. locos, carriages etc.) Then there are several options, especially as the stuff you have might be rather rare (e.g. vintage, scratchbuilt etc.).

For members of the Gauge O Guild there is a sales service at your disposal.

You could try an auction house, a shop like Rails of Sheffield, Hattons or similar or you could sell direct. I would like to point out not to underestimate the sales offers that more local large-ish shops are able to offer, and if the models are very area-specific it could even be a plus. The sort of shop I'm talking about are places like Trains4U, Kernow, Cheltenham Model Centre etc.

A photo of the sort of stuff you're selling would be helpful as depending on style we may be able to suggest something specific.

If there's a layout, you may want to consider selling some of the stock with the layout. In order to so do I would recommend finding out if the layout has ever appeared in any magazines, been to any shows, featured in a DVD etcetera.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ok, thank you very much for the advice etc, I shall inform my friend. Steve.

Last edited:

Ianigsy

A complete O gauge layout might be particularly attractive to somebody looking to get started in O as it's only in the last 5-10 years that a wide variety of ready to run British outline O has been available.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A complete O gauge layout might be particularly attractive to somebody looking to get started in O as it's only in the last 5-10 years that a wide variety of ready to run British outline O has been available.
Thanks for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.