• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking Employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Evening,

I wonder if any of you are looking for new members of staff, or if you know of anybody who is recruiting.

I was made redundant from my previous job in April of last year, after they went into administration, I had been there for 21 years and have been working since 1977.

I worked in a small long haul tour operator dealing with individual tailor made travel to the Far East.

I know that I am not likley to get another job in the travel agent/tour opertor side of things now as that industry is rather in the doldrums and therefore I would consider most things so long as they are legal and operate PAYE.

I am looking for a full or part time salaried employment position, (Mondays to Fridays), perhaps in a “behind the scenes” / administration/ shop/general office / duties area, in the London/South West London region?

I am used to dealing with high quality products and clients whom I dealt with both face to face and on the telephone, taking into account their needs and requirements and handling cash/payment cards etc., plus performing all the general duties required within an office environment. Including, filing, post room & franking-distributing mail, faxing, copying, hospitality etc.

From October 2011, I have been doing some voluntary/charity shop work at the British Heart Foundation in Putney and the Queen Elizabeth Foundation, 2 days a week, operating the till/handling payments by cash & card from the customers, keeping the shops and displays neat & tidy, entering daily sales figures & other information into the computer. It is very interesting and good to be in a work environment again.

I have commuted daily from my home in Shepperton to my previous places of work in the City of London, Waterloo Road and Putney, via Kingston, Wimbledon etc. So these, or other locations such as Twickenham, Richmond, Sunbury, Hampton, Clapham Junction, or near by would be fine.

I do not drive.

I believe that I am honest, hardworking, a good time keeper and reliable, my faults are probably that I do tend to rush at things sometimes and my handwriting is on a par with most doctors! I do have one very aged parent that I have to ake into consideration.

I am 51, single, male, living in Shepperton, (Approx 20 miles south west from London Waterloo.

As you can see from this, I am able to use word processing and computers, but may not be as advanced as some of the younger people tend to be re I.T.

So far I have had a few interviews and have sent off around 500 job applications, most don't bother to reply or those that do don't have any jobs available.

As well as my travel background, I am interested in the rail & bus industry, (I have applied to some of the TOCs and bus firms but nothing there), I am also interested in history, social/history, I very much enjoy travelling within the UK & Parts of Europe. I also enjoy helping people and giving advice.

I thank you for taking the time to read this & hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Rgds Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Try having a look on the first group careers page there is actually a lot of vacancies on there including a few based close to London.

whhistle

On Moderation
*bites tongue* - that looks like a mish mash of a letter you have sent to prospective employers no?

Firstly, this is the wrong place to post such a thing.

Secondly, take a look at your paragraphs. They nearly all start with I - this isn't good.
Thirdly, sign up to an agency. They usually lead to permanent jobs.

Fourthly, just because you have spent twenty one years with one company, doesn't give you a free lunch. In fact, the average time a person stays with a company (certainly in the same position) is only about 6 years.

Fifthly, have you tried with other small tour operators, even travel agents? I bet there are jobs going... perhaps you are just not what they are looking for which there's no two ways about it... it's just hard luck.

I know lots of people who are recruiting. Many, many companies are recruiting. The problem lies in there are many un-employed people to choose from so the companies can choose the best.

Clip

Established Member
Is that a letter to prospective employers or just an outline to us? I dont mean to be rude but I really hope you have not sent that out to any employers.

If you are having trouble wiht a CV then get some professional help to complete it. Then have a covering letter for sending to employers 'cold'. And do not fill the covering letter with any bumph as you have above.

If I recieved that as a cold letter then im afraid it would be filed in the bin, its too messy and disjointed and therefore gives the impression that you yourself may not the organised employee that I may be looking for.

Get yourself to the job centre and ask if they have any local groups that will help you with your cv and covering letter.

LCC106

Established Member
I'm afraid it's early morning and my head is not in HR mode, but just from the above I've cobbled this together. Whilst not inspired, it will show you that a little reworking can make a real difference:

Dear Sir / Madam

I write to enquire about current (administrative / retail / insert other as relevant) job opportunities with (name of company). With (an extensive background in the travel industry, / a keen interest in social history, / insert other as relevant,) my ideal role would involve (insert something relevant to the company here…)

An experienced (insert relevant job title of a role you have undertaken), I am proficient at liaising with clients both face to face and on the telephone.

My current voluntary position at the British Heart Foundation entails handling cash and credit card payments, answering customer enquiries, maintaining tidy displays and data input on the store computer.

An honest, hardworking and committed employee, I have a proven track record in excellent customer service and believe I could be an asset to (name of company).

I am available for an interview or informal discussion at short notice and can be contacted by telephone on (01234 567890) or email at (insert email address).

Thank you in anticipation of your response. I look forward to hearing of any suitable opportunities with (insert name of company) from you soon.

Yours faithfully

Keep any negatives out letters and interviews, no need to explain you have no transport, your age, 500 rejections etc. You could mention your dependant parent at interview if you feel relevant, but that leaves you open to discrimination at interview, sadly...

Ensure that letters and CVs are relevant to the role you are applying for. When I was looking for work HR, my cover letter focused on HR experience. When seeking employment in retail, I would have focused on my managerial experience in a high street store.

In terms of your CV, start with a personal profile paragraph, then qualifications, work experience (current first, then work backwards - I'd put your voluntary work here...), and finally any hobbies or interests. Try to keep to 2 pages. Your work experience should include company, job title, dates from and to and bullet points of key achievements (or, if you find this difficult, duties). E.g. "Reduced company sick pay by £58,000 in 1 year by implementing return to work interviews" rather than "Performing return to work interviews"

If you're currently on benefits, ask at your local job centre about any computer training courses or other relevant courses you are entitled to. Also ask if you're entitled to assistance with travel to interview / other practicalities.

Look at the First website and others as mentioned above. If you sign up with agencies, contact them on a weekly of fortnightly basis to ask about any opportunities. They'll have lots of people on their books so you'll have to chase them rather than vice versa. They'll soon get fed up of you chasing them and it may make them more proactive in finding you a job :)

It's hard work looking for a job, but treat it like a full time job in itself and you WILL get there!

As I say, not particularly inspired but the above may be a starting point. Hope it helps and good luck!

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm afraid it's early morning and my head is not in HR mode, but just from the above I've cobbled this together. Whilst not inspired, it will show you that a little reworking can make a real difference:

Dear Sir / Madam

I write to enquire about current (administrative / retail / insert other as relevant) job opportunities with (name of company). With (an extensive background in the travel industry, / a keen interest in social history, / insert other as relevant,) my ideal role would involve (insert something relevant to the company here…)

An experienced (insert relevant job title of a role you have undertaken), I am proficient at liaising with clients both face to face and on the telephone.

My current voluntary position at the British Heart Foundation entails handling cash and credit card payments, answering customer enquiries, maintaining tidy displays and data input on the store computer.

An honest, hardworking and committed employee, I have a proven track record in excellent customer service and believe I could be an asset to (name of company).

I am available for an interview or informal discussion at short notice and can be contacted by telephone on (01234 567890) or email at (insert email address).

Thank you in anticipation of your response. I look forward to hearing of any suitable opportunities with (insert name of company) from you soon.

Yours faithfully

Keep any negatives out letters and interviews, no need to explain you have no transport, your age, 500 rejections etc. You could mention your dependant parent at interview if you feel relevant, but that leaves you open to discrimination at interview, sadly...

Ensure that letters and CVs are relevant to the role you are applying for. When I was looking for work HR, my cover letter focused on HR experience. When seeking employment in retail, I would have focused on my managerial experience in a high street store.

In terms of your CV, start with a personal profile paragraph, then qualifications, work experience (current first, then work backwards - I'd put your voluntary work here...), and finally any hobbies or interests. Try to keep to 2 pages. Your work experience should include company, job title, dates from and to and bullet points of key achievements (or, if you find this difficult, duties). E.g. "Reduced company sick pay by £58,000 in 1 year by implementing return to work interviews" rather than "Performing return to work interviews"

If you're currently on benefits, ask at your local job centre about any computer training courses or other relevant courses you are entitled to. Also ask if you're entitled to assistance with travel to interview / other practicalities.

Look at the First website and others as mentioned above. If you sign up with agencies, contact them on a weekly of fortnightly basis to ask about any opportunities. They'll have lots of people on their books so you'll have to chase them rather than vice versa. They'll soon get fed up of you chasing them and it may make them more proactive in finding you a job :)

It's hard work looking for a job, but treat it like a full time job in itself and you WILL get there!

As I say, not particularly inspired but the above may be a starting point. Hope it helps and good luck!

Many thanks you for this message.

Nym

Established Member
You do know that [INSERT FIELD HERE] letters are seen by HR staff every day and they can spot them at 50 paces right?

If there's somewhere you really want a job, write the CV and CL each time and make it one of the best pieces of writing you've ever done, it's not unusual to take three or four hours to apply for a job. I've been known to take about 10 hours over three days to apply for one.

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Nym, yes, we can see those letters a mile off when poorly crafted in basic form. I obviously didn't stress enough that this is purely a starting point for STEVIEBOY1 to work from and to tailor and personalise a letter / CV for each role. This will also change depending on whether it's a speculative letter or applying for a specific, advertised role.

Note that just by inserting the company's name, this is a MASSIVE step beyond the 95% of letters that say they want to work for "your company".

Oh, and another one is to make sure the job title in the covering letter is what you're actually applying for. Once had an application saying they were interested in the Finance Manager role we'd been advertising in a certain newspaper recently. The job was a Sales Manager role and the ad hadn't even been near a paper!

I agree - take your time - I spent numerous hours applying for my role on the railway and many more researching the TOC and practising for tests.

Glad you've found it a helpful starting point, STEVIEBOY1.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Good Evening,

I wonder if any of you are looking for new members of staff, or if you know of anybody who is recruiting.

I was made redundant from my previous job in April of last year, after they went into administration, I had been there for 21 years and have been working since 1977.

I worked in a small long haul tour operator dealing with individual tailor made travel to the Far East.

I know that I am not likley to get another job in the travel agent/tour opertor side of things now as that industry is rather in the doldrums and therefore I would consider most things so long as they are legal and operate PAYE.

I am looking for a full or part time salaried employment position, (Mondays to Fridays), perhaps in a “behind the scenes” / administration/ shop/general office / duties area, in the London/South West London region?

I am used to dealing with high quality products and clients whom I dealt with both face to face and on the telephone, taking into account their needs and requirements and handling cash/payment cards etc., plus performing all the general duties required within an office environment. Including, filing, post room & franking-distributing mail, faxing, copying, hospitality etc.

From October 2011, I have been doing some voluntary/charity shop work at the British Heart Foundation in Putney and the Queen Elizabeth Foundation, 2 days a week, operating the till/handling payments by cash & card from the customers, keeping the shops and displays neat & tidy, entering daily sales figures & other information into the computer. It is very interesting and good to be in a work environment again.

I have commuted daily from my home in Shepperton to my previous places of work in the City of London, Waterloo Road and Putney, via Kingston, Wimbledon etc. So these, or other locations such as Twickenham, Richmond, Sunbury, Hampton, Clapham Junction, or near by would be fine.

I do not drive.

I believe that I am honest, hardworking, a good time keeper and reliable, my faults are probably that I do tend to rush at things sometimes and my handwriting is on a par with most doctors! I do have one very aged parent that I have to ake into consideration.

I am 51, single, male, living in Shepperton, (Approx 20 miles south west from London Waterloo.

As you can see from this, I am able to use word processing and computers, but may not be as advanced as some of the younger people tend to be re I.T.

So far I have had a few interviews and have sent off around 500 job applications, most don't bother to reply or those that do don't have any jobs available.

As well as my travel background, I am interested in the rail & bus industry, (I have applied to some of the TOCs and bus firms but nothing there), I am also interested in history, social/history, I very much enjoy travelling within the UK & Parts of Europe. I also enjoy helping people and giving advice.

I thank you for taking the time to read this & hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Rgds Steve.

Have you considered applying to Network Rail? They're opening a new national centre in Milton Keynes later this year and are looking for new staff to replace existing ones who don't want to relocate.

www.networkrail.co.uk/careers

Status
Not open for further replies.