• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Services that have terminated short or diverted to a different destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
We've all had chaotic journeys where your train has terminated short of it's final destination or diverted to terminate at a different destination, sometimes leaving you with a longer journey home including road transport

Hoping to hear your stories

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a Monday morning in late October 2000 when widespread storm damage to the Southern rail network (trees on the line etc.) meant that the whole show was halted at around 8 a.m.

Was on a London bound service which, having negotiated the Balcombe tunnel, got slower and slower before everyone was unceremoniously turfed off at Three Bridges station.

Understandably, taxis from Three Bridges were at a premium, so walked the mile or so over to the County Mall shopping centre at Crawley to while away an hour or two and do some early Christmas shopping before eventually getting a service bus back for the ten miles or so to my origin station (the driver negotiating some fairly epic puddles along the way!)

Remember leaving an answerphone message for my boss at work to tell him that I would be no-showing that day before finding out the following day (Tuesday) that almost no-one else had made it in either.

lxfe_mxtterz

Was travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow via the North Clyde Line one time. After we made the stop at Uphall, it was apparent that some issues had arisen and we were struggling to get up to speed, so an announcement was made and after crawling along to Bathgate, we were made to get off and the train was sent back to the depot (presumably).

I think the situation was handled quite well. The announcements and instructions were all clear, and the staff at Bathgate were actively helping passengers continue their journeys and helping people with luggage onto the next train.

Just a shame that the following train was already packed. Add to that all of us from the previous train and it makes for a rather unpleasant remainder of the journey!

AverageTD

Managed to get the Overground into Battersea Park completely by accident when Clapham Junction platform 2 was down. We were the only train that went that way because the disruption didn't last long. Saved me having to get up at 5AM to do it another time though.

adc82140

Established Member
1993. Line closure at Woking, so the Salisbury to Waterloo train I was on got sent up to Reading, pick up a route conductor, then continued to Paddington.

Iskra

Established Member
One evening during storm Barney (?) I had:

- Arriva Trains Wales Premier Service 1716 off Cardiff terminated at Newport with a AWS failure on the DVT.
- Next ATW North was an already busy 3 car 175 which was then wedged. This hit a tree and stopped on the Marches for 45mins. We then limped to Shrewsbury where it terminated short.
- Chaos at Shrewsbury. A ATW 158 to Chester which hit a tree again but came off better and was only slightly delayed.
- A bus seated, cold Northern 142 on the Chester-Manchester stopper that gets in around midnight as the only way to complete my journey. This hit a branch on the line approaching Manchester
- Dewsbury station closed, so was stranded. Staff at Picc arranged a taxi to Dewsbury for me and one other bloke. Got home after 2am I think.

...but, I did get home and got a full refund.

Another time I got thown off the 0710 Leeds-Aberdeen at Edinburgh due to powercar failure. The train reversed at Newcastle to put the good power car at the front. Buses were provided to Aberdeen, but I went on a Scotrail 170 instead.

The final one that I remember off the top of my head was a 159 from Waterloo-Exeter that got stock at Honiton with flooding in both directions. No buses available, taxis all booked up so we all crammed onto service buses Dunkirk-style to Exeter that struggled to get through too. Got an XC diverted HST via Westbury to Leeds on the way home. Again I claimed delay repay although I don’t think SWT ever coughed up.

Whistler40145

Established Member
One evening during storm Barney (?) I had:

- Arriva Trains Wales Premier Service 1716 off Cardiff terminated at Newport with a AWS failure on the DVT.
- Next ATW North was an already busy 3 car 175 which was then wedged. This hit a tree and stopped on the Marches for 45mins. We then limped to Shrewsbury where it terminated short.
- Chaos at Shrewsbury. A ATW 158 to Chester which hit a tree again but came off better and was only slightly delayed.
- A bus seated, cold Northern 142 on the Chester-Manchester stopper that gets in around midnight as the only way to complete my journey. This hit a branch on the line approaching Manchester
- Dewsbury station closed, so was stranded. Staff at Picc arranged a taxi to Dewsbury for me and one other bloke. Got home after 2am I think.

...but, I did get home and got a full refund.

Another time I got thown off the 0710 Leeds-Aberdeen at Edinburgh due to powercar failure. The train reversed at Newcastle to put the good power car at the front. Buses were provided to Aberdeen, but I went on a Scotrail 170 instead.

The final one that I remember off the top of my head was a 159 from Waterloo-Exeter that got stock at Honiton with flooding in both directions. No buses available, taxis all booked up so we all crammed onto service buses Dunkirk-style to Exeter that struggled to get through too. Got an XC diverted HST via Westbury to Leeds on the way home. Again I claimed delay repay although I don’t think SWT ever coughed up.
Sounded like a nightmare with falling trees

geoffk

Established Member
In July 2009 I was on a Derry/Londonderry bound train from Belfast, which had standing room only from Antrim, intending to change at Coleraine for Portrush. At some point along the journey it was announced that our train would now being going to Portrush, for no other reason than that it was a fine day and most of those on board wanted a day at the seaside. Those heading for Derry had to change at Coleraine and I assume they all got the message. NIR Control must have sanctioned this change. My notes say that the connecting service to Derry was a class 450 Thumper and that, despite the schedule change, arrival at Derry was only 6 minutes late.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sunday evening, awful weather, the bridge north of Carlisle washed out and my Euston-Edinburgh terminated at Preston to mass disorganised chaos (it was handled appallingly by staff, as a result of which more people were stranded than necessary). Ended up in a (railway provided) taxi the rest of the way - bet that cost. About 3 hours late on arrival.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Autumn 2002 - on the way back from a weekend in Newcastle, we got no further than Doncaster because a storm overnight - which we never even noticed in Newcastle - had stopped literally everything south of there. No alternative rail routes open, no road transport available and all the major roads were closed anyway, not even any light aircraft available as apparently all the airfields in the south were out of action as well.

The railway put everyone - which was quite a large number - off the train up in hotels and motels for the night and we made our way south the next morning when things were running again.

One of the other stranded travellers was the actress Penelope Keith; she was even billeted in the same motel that we were!

MotCO

Established Member
I was travelling from Norbiton to Waterloo one evening in 1997. We left on time, but stopped before we got to the next station, New Malden. There were no announcements. Eventually the driver walked through the train, so I asked him what the problem was - apparently there was a burst water main near the level crossing in Elm Road, so the level crossing was impassable. Being on a Waterloo to Waterloo loop train, the train reversed and went the other way round the loop!

galwhv69

Signalling fault at Brixton last month meant that every 2nd train on the Victoria - Bromley South/Orpington service was being diverted to Blackfriars
Also been on a 319 on a Sutton via Wimbledon service that decided it had enough at Tulse Hill on one of the hottest days of that year, everyone got kicked off and most got on a Southern service to Streatham Common as the next TL service behind was delayed

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too many journeys like this to remember! The two I'm remembering right now are years apart, but here we go.

First one was coming back from London Paddington to Hereford on a Sunday HST, back in FGW days (which has reminded me of more tales involving HSTs). All seemed to be going just fine, I had my earphones in and we'd been at Worcester Shrub Hill for a while. Eventually, by chance, some staff started coming through Coach A where I was, telling me I needed to alight as there was a lavatory further up the train which had, well, reverse engineered itself and the flow was coming my way. The first and only time I've been in the conductor's part of a TGS! Alighted the now out of service train and the Paddington to Hereford service 2 hours behind mine was my only option. It was a hugely different world travelling on a 165/166 instead of an HST!

So, another involving an HST that came to mind while remembering the above tale. I believe this was on the way home from a trip to Disneyland Paris, and all was fine with the HST until Didcot Parkway. The rear power car (which I still remember being 43029) had power issues, I think the engine would just keeping shutting down not long after being restarted. Eventually the driver had had enough, the train was terminated at Bristol Parkway instead of Swansea, and there was another HST not too far behind us by now so we joined that to Newport and changed for Hereford.

Another HST story, and another one where all was fine and good until somewhere before Moreton-in-Marsh. I think this was coming back from a day trip to Thorpe Park, in 'Fag Packet' livery days. Down to just one power car, with the service terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill instead of Hereford. That rail replacement bus was so slow and tedious...

Talking of, I was coming back from Liverpool to Hereford on a cheap Advance via Birmingham sometime last year. No issues to Birmingham, but I find there that my train is running quite late. Work wasn't until 5am at that time (we start at 3am these days, occasionally 2am) so it wasn't great but it is what it is. Eventually the train was cancelled, and a rail replacement coach was laid on. There was another train around 90 minutes later, but there was a strong possibility it wouldn't run. So on we all got, and it is a long way from Birmingham to Hereford by road, when having to divert to little stations. Thankfully we didn't do all of them, and I swear even now as we got off the later train arrived in Hereford...

Finally, all this talk of rail replacement coaches has reminded me of the epic adventure on what should have been an easy journey from Hereford to London Euston via Birmingham, ready to connect onto easyBus to Gatwick Airport for my flight to Toronto. This was early May 2018, and I'd just seen family before accepting a lift to the station. It sounded eerily quiet, considering a 170 was meant to be idling and filling the air with its noise pollution...Trepass on the line towards Worcester meant the train was cancelled, and thankfully a rail replacement coach was on hand to take us to Worcester.

Eventually we got there, and there was a debate over who could go on what train, so a Snow Hill Lines 172 left with me and 3 other people on cheap Advances via Birmingham. Control were eventually adament we'd make it in a taxi to Birmingham New Street for the 2254 to Northampton, where we'd continue again by road.

It was an incredible effort by the taxi driver, as we only missed the train by a few minutes. Eventually a taxi was sourced for us all to get to London, and it was 00:20 by now. Bear in mind we had left Hereford at something like 19:40...Arrival in London was I think around 02:30 and the driver kindly dropped us all at suitable locations, including a short walk from Victoria Coach Station for me.

Too many times for me to count for the amount of times I'd been dropped off at Ledbury by Central Trains due to late running. I *think* every time there was a following train after a while though.

Ooh, that also reminds me of a tale about the epic journey to Inverness one time! This was 2007 from memory, and a journey from Hereford to Inverness to position myself in a hostel (quick diversion back to 2021 for a moment, I must say that is one thing I don't miss, hostel stays...If I ever resume my World Frenzy series, hostels will *not* make a return. Nor will they on short-notice red pen fests!) for a trip to Kyle of Lochalsh the next morning, to return to Edinburgh (well, actually, Dalmeny, maybe I'll expand on that one in a bit...) with top and tail 47/8s.

Anyway, all was going well until Preston. This was the day of the shooting on a Virgin Voyager, which I saw at Oxenholme with the destroyed window. Not that I knew what was going on at the time of course. As a result, we'd been delayed waiting for a driver who was on a late train coming from the north. By the time I arrived at Glasgow Queen Street, the only way I'd make it to Inverness was on the next train to Perth where a taxi was put on for me. So far, the first and only time I've been on the A9. As it was pretty dark I couldn't enjoy the scenery sadly.

As for those 47s to Edinburgh, I can't remember what happened but the tour terminated early and a rail replacement coach took us the last few miles. The first and only time I've been on a tour where a coach was involved!

Goodness that was a lot of nostalgia there! I'd best stop thinking of more tales for this thread, we'll be here all night! I might have to return in the morning with the tale of how my journey home from a 2010 Mazey Day tour turned into a long all-night walk, and how a Trowbridge-Norwich journey involving a late night HST and a few hours hanging around at Liverpool Street turned into an adventure...I might even mention the HST once which made my fridges at work feel tropical!

greyman42

Established Member
It is not unusual for the London to Leeds services to terminate at York if the line is blocked between Doncaster and Leeds.

Gloster

Established Member
Coming back from London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour there was a long pause at Havant. We were then told that we were being diverted because of a trespass incident. Off we dashed to Fareham, where we sat for a long time before reversing and trundling back again. On the Farlington Curve we stopped to let the train that had left Waterloo an hour after us go ahead; the train half-an-hour behind had already gone past. At Fratton we stood for a while until it was announced that the train would not go any further. This announcement came just after a Southern train to the Harbour shut its doors. Arrival on the island was around 90 minutes later than planned.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I've been diverted from Stoke to Cheltenham via Nuneaton before. I think I arrived 59 late in the end and truthfully put in a DR claim for 30 to 59 minutes... my companion put in a claim for a full hour's delay and had the whole thing paid out in full! I felt a bit stupid after that; the extra minute doubles the value of compensation...

Another delayed journey after that, I was 29 late and claimed for 30-59, and the TOC, which shall remain nameless, downgraded my compensation to the 15-29 amount. That came across as rather penny-pinching to me, not least because the disruption resulted in me ending up on a platform further from the station exit than expected, which would easily have covered the extra minute. (Yes, I'm aware DR doesn't count these things, but still...)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
On the 18:18 Glasgow Central - Ardrossan Harbour service in 2016/2017. Unit was 380102.

We left Glasgow on time and everything was plain sailing until Johnstone. Shortly after departing Johnstone, we passed through Milliken Park at about 70-80mph, train brakes come into emergency, never a good sign.

After about 5 minutes of being stopped, the driver came over the PA announcing that we had struck something. Not good. After about another 25 minutes, the Driver did confirm it was a person. We were then sat for another 2 hours or so for the Police to do their thing. Quite eery to see police officers with torches walking down the track next to us.

The train limped at a reduced speed into Howwood station where we were dropped off to await the replacement coach. No staff were on hand at the time, but instead there was an Ayr service behind us that was making an additional stop at Howwood and Dalry. Got onto that and alighted at Kilwinning before crossing over to Platform 3 to find a Largs bound service on the approach. Arrival time back at my local was around 22:30.

Established Member
Similar tale to @Scotrail314209. Was on a TPE 68 coming back from Leeds (via Scarborough, naturally enough). Left Huddersfield and the brakes were applied a few minutes later. Heavier than most brake applications but nothing overly unusual. Looked on Traksy for a hint and saw we were following a 185, which seemed to suddenly accelerate ahead.

We then took power again and were going at a fair rate of knots before the brakes were slammed on, very obviously in full emergency. As was discovered by Caledonian Sleeper in the Midlands, those Mk5s can stop extremely quickly. But it wasn't quick enough and we had just struck someone. We were stuck for around 2 hours while the Police and Network Rail did their thing. We were told there was an incident that required the Fire and Rescue service to attend and that it could be a lengthy delay initially, then once a plan was being put in place we were told it was a fatality. We were half in the platform at Slaithwaite and were eventually detrained into minibuses to take us to Manchester. Mine got lost near Piccadilly then my taxi home from there also got lost, eventually got home at around 02:30.

A Challenge

Established Member
I can't imagine this is uncommon at least as far as Manchester - but July 2019 travelling Windermere to Crewe, via Manchester as there were no trains Wigan to Crewe direct, was on the Windermere to Manchester Airport service and got thrown off at short notice at Preston, having been told outside the station (where it continued empty towards Manchester), so me and the group I was travelling with ended up on a 319 from Blackpool North with large hiking rucksacks that wouldn't fit in the overhead racks, which given the large number of us meant we were taking up a lot of space. The rest of my group ended up on the train after the one their reservations were for for the leg to London and I ended up (with no plan as to the service I was getting to Crewe in the first place) on an Arriva Trains Wales service to somewhere down in Southwest Wales, which luckily had proper luggage racks. Only time I've been on ATW (or TFW), and it wasn't even in Wales! If there was any good thing to come out of the delay, it meant that my lift from the station was there before me after being delayed by an hour on the M6 and I wasn't waiting around at Crewe (better though that would have been really)

vlad

There's one that springs to mind.

After getting on an XC HST in Birmingham we were all thrown off in Bromsgrove as it had broken down (there can't be many people who've got off an HST there) - the following Voyager stopped to pick us up but as you'd expect it was absolutely rammed. It was only going as far as Bristol, so passengers for beyond there were advised to change at Cheltenham - but at least owing to the delay we didn't have long to wait.

On arrival in Bristol the platform was heaving - apparently GW were having issues and advising passengers to travel with XC which wasn't really an option. The guard gave several announcements pleading with people to get off before we did make a move.

On arrival in Exeter I wasn't surprised to find out I'd missed my connection to Barnstaple but GW put us all in taxis (which must have cost them quite a bit). Taxis are quicker than trains on that route, even if they dawdle along the A377, which meant I had caught up a bit of time by the time I got to Barnstaple; however, the delay was still enough that I got my money back for the journey.

It's a good job I bought sandwiches at Birmingham New Street as I'd have been starving otherwise. Given the chaos I couldn't get round to eating them till I was in Somerset, however!

Established Member
Forgot about another one. During the time that the XC HSTs were receiving PRM mods. I was on a modified set heading to Paignton. I'd boarded at Birmingham New Street and was already a bit annoyed as I was sat in the vicinity of someone who spent roughly Bourneville-Bristol Parkway talking loudly down a phone. I'd been on night shifts the night before so was partly hoping to get some sleep, though I'd already decided I was getting pissed instead. We got to Bristol Parkway and were sat there for a while. The TM announced a door fault was responsible. We ended up terminating at BPW with around half the train getting on a wedged Voyager to Temple Meads.

I managed to board the next Plymouth service, just. Plenty didn't. I ended up wedged in the vestibule beyond first class acting as a support for a visually impaired passenger for the next hour and a half to Exeter. I leapt off the still full+standing Voyager at Exeter to pick up my Paignton bound pacer there. Not one of the more pleasant journeys I've had.

Galvanize

Quite a few spring to mind...

July 2005 in the early days of this forum’s existence...a group of us travelled on a FGW (as was) HST from London Paddington with the intention of going to Cardiff to travel on the Class 37 hauled services on the Rhymney Line.
All was going well until just after we left Swindon I think...TM announced that there had been a Power Cut in Newport Powerbox, so we’d be unable to go through the Severn Tunnel to Cardiff or Swansea. At Bristol Parkway the TM announced again that we’d be diverted to Bristol Temple Meads to terminate there. Anyone for South Wales destinations, a Coach would be provided.

We all rushed off the train to try and make our way to the Coach...but I seem to recall we were confronted with a MASSIVE queue outside the station not appearing to move. We waited around in Bristol for at least an hour, possibly mulling over the idea of sacking off doing the 37s and formulating another plan, but eventually was announced that trains were back up and running! An announcement told us the next train to Cardiff would be a Wessex Trains (remember them?) 158...which we all managed to squeeze onto! So all was not at a loss, we still made it to Cardiff and managed to do a trip to Rhymney with a 37!

Last edited:

Galvanize

Another one...in July 2006, me and my Dad were on the way back from doing the East Lancs Diesel Gala, having stayed the night at my Dad’s friend’s place just down the road from Stockport. On the Sunday morning we were booked to travel on a Northern service along the hope Valley to Sheffield, then get a Midland MainLine (RIP) HST to St Pancras. So we were dropped off at Stockport about 10 minutes before our train...advertised as running.

All good, a 2 car 156 arrived. Got to Hazel Grove, and we were stopped there for ages...about 10 minutes later the Guard walked through the train and told us that there was overrunning engineering works in the Sheffield area...and they were waiting to hear back from Northern Control about what the options were. One suggestion would be go back to Manchester Piccadilly!! We eventually left Hazel Grove travelling Eastwards...and stopped for a little while somewhere else, and again a little bit further along.

Finally the Conductor announced that the line had been reopened as far as Dore (as it was then called)...but we definitely wouldn’t be going to Sheffield. We got to Dore, and got put on a coach to Sheffield. By this point our booked train had long gone, the information point said we’d fine on the next train. Eventually we got the next London bound service, a MML HST. As the line was still closed, we got diverted via “The old road” through Woodhouse and past Barrow Hill. Sadly due to the overrunning engineering works and displacement of staff...the train had no catering of any description.

Last edited:

FQTV

Early 1990, southbound East Coast Mainline HST service aiming for King’s Cross.

At York we were advised that the wires had come down in Cambridgeshire, and that the service may be terminated.

After a short wait, we proceeded forward to Doncaster, for an extended pause.

We then resumed once again, diverting across to Sheffield and then via the Midland Mainline to arrive at St. Pancras.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was once on a Sunday evening Watford Junction to Clapham Junction service (via Kensington Olympia) which, after a slight delay, was eventually terminated at platform 8... at London Victoria!

Not sure of the exact routeing after crossing Battersea Railway Bridge (it was dark!) but there must have been a short section of track involved that doesn't see too many passenger services.

CW2

Established Member
13th January 2010, a day of foul weather and winter gales. I set off from Rugby on my usual morning commute to Euston. 390 044 on the 0635 Manchester - Euston. All went well until we stopped unexpectedly at Milton Keynes Central, where we had to alight and change sets, as 390 014 on the 0730 Euston - Glasgow had suffered a cracked windscreen. So our set was commandeered to head north to Glasgow, and we were given 390 014 to continue south.
Next we stopped at Tring, to be told the storm had brought down the OLE at North Wembley, so we had to return north. (There was no option of a replacement bus service offered). That presented a bit of a problem for our train, because of the cracked windscreen, so 390 028 on the 0823 Euston - Wolverhampton was stopped at Tring to pick us all up and take us home. At Milton Keynes they announced this train would not be calling at Rugby, so anybody for Rugby should alight. I sat tight, being willing to get overcarried to Coventry and travel back to Rugby if necessary. Eventually common sense intervened and a Rugby stop was agreed. So Pendolino for Pendolino at Tring. Not an everyday move.

Galvanize

One from the late 1990s...I think it was early Summer 1998. Me, my Brother and our Mum went for a day trip by train to the Seaside. In this case, the destination of choice was Hastings due to the ease of getting there from South East London. Journey there was fine. We had a great day by the sea! I do recall it started to cloud over by mid afternoon, and by the time we started walking back to the station for the journey home, it started to rain. A 4VEP unit was forming the next service to London Charing Cross, so we got onboard, and headed on the way. The rain was getting heavier and heavier.

Until, we got to Tunbridge Wells (where I think we were due to attach to another 4VEP to make 8 cars into London)...we hit a standstill. There was Thunder and Lightning right above us, and really really heavy rain! The Guard then announced that due to lightning wiping out the Signalling between there and Tonbridge, we’d be sitting there until further notice. We continued sitting there until another passenger who’d just spoken to the Guard had said
“It’s going back to Hastings!”

Shortly after, the Guard announced that we were indeed terminating at Tunbridge Wells, and the train would be returning to Hastings. Anyone for High Brooms and Tonbridge, our tickets would be accepted on Local Buses! So we left the train, and were directed by Station Staff to the bus stop, where a local bus (I think it was a Leyland Lynx, possibly operated by Arriva or whatever they were called back then!) arrived and took us to Tonbridge. Services from Ashford were unaffected, so when we got to Tonbridge, we were able to get another train back into London.

At the time I was absolutely terrified of Thunder, so to hear it pretty much above my head...well, you can only imagine!

DJS76

I think it was December 2009. I'd been in Manchester for a Xmas party on the Friday night unaware that a lot of heavy rain across the Midlands had caused disruption overnight. Got on a Virgin Train at Manchester Piccadilly (I think it was the 9.30am departure) and took my seat in 1st class looking forward to an easy ride home to London with a bad hangover. Made steady progress through Crewe before coming to a halt outside Stafford. Eventually crawled into Stafford after about 20 minutes to be told the train was terminating there. An announcement followed that a Cross Country train would soon be arriving in the adjacent platform which we could use to get to Birmingham New Street. This arrived within about 15 minutes and then there was a mad scramble to board the Voyager which was already busy (I was very lucky to find a spare seat in 1st class).

We crawled to New Street which seemed to take an age, when we finally arrived I found out there had been no trains to London for over 2 hours due to the weather. I waited around for a while for further news but eventually decided to find out how to walk to Moor Street in the hope I could catch a train to Marylebone. This was before everyone had smart phones and apps so it was a bit of "hope and pray". Upon arrival, it was clear I wasn't the only one with this idea but there was a London train due in around 10 minutes so joined the crowds on the platform. You can imagine the groans of frustration when a 3 car DMU (it may have been 4 car) pulled in but I couldn't believe my luck when the train came to a halt and the doors were right in front of me. Everyone eventually crammed into the carriage with many standing passengers as we began the slow journey south. There were several speed restrictions and I remember a particular large pool of water near Leamington Spa that saw us cross to the northbound track.
It probably took well over 2.5 hours to get to Marylebone but at least I was nearly home to South London. However, the tube was shut due to engineering on the Bakerloo Line so it wasn't as easy as it should have been.
I eventually walked through my front door just after 5pm, feeling exhausted!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I remember approximately 15 years ago being on a Virgin Voyager from Preston to Bristol, which got terminated at Birmingham New Street because of overrunning engineering work between Birmingham and Cheltenham.

I seem to remember leaving Preston about midday and arriving at Birmingham about 1400 ish, so the disruption had been happening for a while.

I was told to get a train to Birmingham International and catch a replacement bus from there to Cheltenham.

Before doing so, I asked Staff whether they thought I'd have any luck waiting at New Street for a couple of hours to avoid me having to get the bus and they insisted I should go to Birmingham International for the replacement bus.

Of course upon arrival at Cheltenham, the next train to Bristol was a wedged Voyager which had come through from Birmingham. Possibly from Newcastle. No chance of a seat, even with me having a (dirt cheap) First Class ticket.

I also remember more recently (around 4/5 years ago) having to get a replacement coach from Inverness to Perth due to flooding. Booked train had been the East Coast HST with breakfast included, so not quite the same.

Thankfully we managed to get to Perth in time for my connection to Dundee.

From Dundee I had booked a free First Class East Coast rewards ticket to London, which wasn't available on the direct train from Inverness.

I remember being extremely grateful as soon as I took my First Class seat on the HST from Dundee. Even more so when I was offered a bacon roll shortly after we departed, as I was starving by that point.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I seem to remember leaving Preston about midday and arriving at Birmingham about 1400 ish, so the disruption had been happening for a while.

I was told to get a train to Birmingham International and catch a replacement bus from there to Cheltenham.

Before doing so, I asked Staff whether they thought I'd have any luck waiting at New Street for a couple of hours to avoid me having to get the bus and they insisted I should go to Birmingham International for the replacement bus.
Loosely (mis)translated as... "Clear off from here; you can be someone else's problem at the next station!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.