• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Cropwell Bishop has one of a select six creameries that produce Stilton Cheese; another is the village of Colston Bassett, also in the Vale of Belvoir.

Calthrop

Established Member
Rowsley also has a well-dressing event.

There was published in 1869, a work by John Joseph Briggs titled The Peacock [Inn] at Rowsley; charmingly described by Wiki as "a gossiping book about fishing and country life". Another writer on fishing matters, a couple of centuries previously -- Izaak Walton (1593 -- 1683), author of The Compleat Angler -- also did some of his fishing in the Peak District; he was born in Stafford.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Malmesbury Cricket Club are an ECB Clubmark accredited sports club who play at The Wortheys Sports Ground, with adult and junior teams playing in the Wiltshire Leagues. The club used to play in the Famous Grouse Western Cricket League, as did Midsomer Norton Cricket Club, who still play at Withies Lane, Midsomer Norton, Somerset.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Sir Alf Ramsey was Manager of Ipswich Town FC between 1955 and 1963; he was born on 22nd January 1920 in Dagenham, which was then an agrarian village in Essex

johnnychips

Established Member
Roger Whittaker had a hit with I’m Going to Leave Old Durham Town. Notwithstanding it’s a city, he also sang he was ‘sitting by the banks of the River Tyne’. As any fule kno, Durham is on the Wear. Newcastle is on the Tyne.

johnnychips

Established Member
Wolverhampton Wanderers play in yellow and black, the same colours as Stockport Grammar School, which is situated in Davenport.

Calthrop

Established Member
In the pleasingly daft local song Crawshay Bailey, another settlement named is, oddly, Norwich (the improbable given name of the eponymous Mr. Bailey's brother: one suspects that the song-maker was stuck for a rhyme for "porridge").

Calthrop

Established Member
Roger Whittaker had a hit with I’m Going to Leave Old Durham Town. Notwithstanding it’s a city, he also sang he was ‘sitting by the banks of the River Tyne’. As any fule kno, Durham is on the Wear. Newcastle is on the Tyne.
Just random thoughts, not a game entry -- that reference in the song has always intensely annoyed me, too (one can even, easily think of a variant which would rhyme with "Wear"). I'm not a music fan: tend to confuse the Rogers Whittaker, and Miller -- when I can get them straight, recall that the latter is a Yank, and quite witty; whereas the former is neither -- is for my money, totally wet and awful.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Sculthorpe is on the B1355 minor road, which joins the A148 just outside the village. The A148 runs between King's Lynn and Cromer in Norfolk.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Llandudno is the largest seaside resort in Wales, and as early as 1861 was being called 'the Queen of the Welsh Watering Places'. This is a phrase later also used in connection with Tenby and Aberystwyth; the word 'resort' came a little later.