• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The now ruined St James' Church in Dover was once the meeting place of the official courts of the Barons of the Cinque Ports. The last such meeting took place in 1851 and was presided over by the Duke of Wellington, who was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. Born Arthur Wesley on 1st May 1769 in Dublin, he died, aged 83 on 14th September 1852 at his official residence, Walmer Castle in Kent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Every January, Hopton-on-Sea hosts the World Indoor Bowls Championship at Potters Resort. The event was first held in 1979 at Coatbridge in Scotland, although this was for men's singles only.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Llangefni's attractions include the Oriel Ynys Mon Museum. This houses the legacy collection of the naturalistic painter of British birds and other wildlife Charles Frederick Tunnicliffe OBE RA, who spent most of his working life on the Isle of Anglesey. He was born on 1st December 1901 in Langley, Macclesfield and died on 7th February 1979, at Malltraeth, Anglesey, aged 77.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Glasson Dock was linked to the Lancaster Canal in 1825, following plans originally drawn up by John Rennie the Elder from 1793. John Rennie was heavily involved with the Kennet and Avon Canal between 1794 and 1810, including the Crofton Pumping Station, near the village of Great Bedwyn in Wiltshire, which supplies the summit pound of the Canal with water.

Calthrop

Established Member
...near the village of Great Bedwyn in Wiltshire, which supplies the summit pound of the Canal with water.

Great Bedwyn seems to do a lot of featuring in this game ! There was a battle in the year 675 between Wessex and Mercia, which according to some, took place near Great Bedwyn (but its actual site is not known for sure). Another 7th-century battle between kingdoms (Northumbria versus Mercia + Gwynedd) was fought in 633 at Hatfield Chase near Doncaster.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
On 31st January 1953, the low-lying areas of Thurrock were inundated by the North Sea Floods. The village of Creekmouth on Barking Creek, the mouth of the River Roding, was wholly flooded by the sea surge and later demolished; residents were relocated elsewhere in Barking.

Calthrop

Established Member
St. Agnes, Cornwall, was also in times past a significant fishing port; as with Barking, that activity there is long-dead.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The journalist, newspaper owner and philanthropist, and briefly a Member of Parliament John Passmore Edwards MP (1823 – 1911) was born in Blackwater, a small village between Redruth and Truro in Cornwall. In 1893, he donated and had built the Miners and Mechanics Institute in the village of St Agnes.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hartley Wintney (Hampshire) also lies on the route of the A30 trunk road -- Blackwater was formerly right on said road, but is nowadays bypassed.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The present Elvetham Hall, located with in the parish of Hartley Witney was designed by Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812 – 1873), the 19th-century English Gothic Revival Architect. and built between 1859 and 1862. S S Teulon also designed Holy Trinity Parish Church, Oare, Wiltshire between 1857 and 1858; the writer Sir Nikolaus Pevsner considered it "the ugliest church in Wiltshire".

Calthrop

Established Member
The above-bolded Oare, has three namesake settlements elsewhere in England. The same applies to Chilton, County Durham (a little way east of Bishop Auckland) -- the other three "just plain" Chiltons are much further south in England.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I mentioned in my last post that the writer Sir Nikolaus Pevsner wasn't very impressed with Holy Trinity Parish Church, Oare. He wasn't very impressed with St Mary's Church, Billinge either, saying that the church has "an almost featureless barn of an interior". He was born in Leipzig, Saxony on 30th January 1902, and died at his home in Hampstead, London, on 18th August 1983. He is buried in the churchyard of St Peter, Clyffe Pypard, Wiltshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
I mentioned in my last post that the writer Sir Nikolaus Pevsner wasn't very impressed with Holy Trinity Parish Church, Oare. He wasn't very impressed with St Mary's Church, Billinge either, saying that the church has "an almost featureless barn of an interior". He was born in Leipzig, Saxony on 30th January 1902, and died at his home in Hampstead, London, on 18th August 1983.
Sniffy so-and-so, wasn't he? ...what does some wretched Kraut know about English church architecture anyway :E ?

He is buried in the churchyard of St Peter, Clyffe Pypard, Wiltshire.

The parish including Clyffe Pypard formerly comprised five tithings, involving nearby hamlets; one of them named Thornhill. Britain has various other settlements bearing that name; including Thornhill, Dumfries & Galloway.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The music festival referred to above is the Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival, held on the Belladrum Estate. In 2014, Wales' finest singer, Sir Thomas John Woodward OBE, known professionally as Tom Jones, was one of the headline acts on the Garden Stage. He was born on 7th June 1940 at 57 Kingsland Terrace, Treforest, Pontypridd.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Llanrumney Hall is a Grade II* Listed Building in Llanrumney. A common local belief is that the 17th Century pirate Sir Henry Morgan was born there in 1635, but there is little evidence to substantiate this. Another version is that he was born in Rhymney in the Caerphilly Borough area of South Wales.

Calthrop

Established Member
Llanrumney Hall is a Grade II* Listed Building in Llanrumney. A common local belief is that the 17th Century pirate Sir Henry Morgan was born there in 1635, but there is little evidence to substantiate this. Another version is that he was born in Rhymney in the Caerphilly Borough area of South Wales.

Rhymney's parish church is in neo-classical style; designed by the architect Philip Hardwick (1792 -- 1870), to whom many renowned buildings in that style are owed; including the Birmingham Curzon Street terminus of the London & Birmingham Railway (hoping I may be permitted this -- "architecture" rather than "railway" context).

Incidentally, I remember Pete Seeger singing a song about "Bells" of certain welsh towns in my very much younger days, one of which was your settlement.

I thought of this song too; had been looking at using it as a follow-on -- but, given your mention here, sought a different Rhymney association !

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I have now struck - through my posting.

Incidentally, I remember Pete Seeger singing a song about "Bells" of certain welsh towns in my very much younger days, one of which was your settlement.

Thanks - yes, he covered quite a few places in the song.

Rhymney's parish church is in neo-classical style; designed by the architect Philip Hardwick (1792 -- 1870), to whom many renowned buildings in that style are owed; including the Birmingham Curzon Street terminus of the London & Birmingham Railway (hoping I may be permitted this -- "architecture" rather than "railway" context).

I thought of this song too; had been looking at using it as a follow-on -- but, given your mention here, sought a different Rhymney association !

Distinctively, Birmingham only has small rivers flowing through it, mainly the River Tame and its tributaries River Rea and River Cole. The last named rises on the lower slopes of Forhill, one of the south-western ramparts of the Birmingham Plateau, at Red Hill and flows south before flowing largely north-east across the plateau to enter the River Blythe below Coleshill in North Warwickshire, shortly before the Blythe meets the Tame.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The British cinematographer, film & television director, and photographer Jack Cardiff OBE BSC was born in Great Yarmouth on 18th September 1914. After a career of more that 85 years, he died in Ely, Cambridgeshire, on 22nd April 2009.