• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Coed Gelli-fawr is the location of a Site of Special Scientific Interest, of importance in assorted biological fields; including being a habitat for dormice. Certain woods near Wootton Bridge, Isle of Wight, are also good for dormice.

Calthrop

Established Member
Honiton claims to be "the antiques capital of the South-West". The antiques business would seem also to be greatly to the fore in Hythe, Kent.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Royal St George's Golf Club, Sandwich has hosted The Open Championship on 15 occasions since 1894. This is the English course that has been used the most; second on the list is the Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Hoylake, Wirral, which has done so 12 times since 1897.

Calthrop

Established Member
The composer Benjamin Britten (1913 -- 1976) lived for many years in Aldeburgh, contributing much to the town's life and culture. He was born not far away, in Lowestoft.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Master ghost story writer M.R. James used Lowestoft as the model for the fictional settlement Burnstow in his story Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad.

Another real-life inspiration for one of his tales (A Vignette) is the rectory in the Suffolk village of Great Livermere.

Calthrop

Established Member
Master ghost story writer M.R. James used Lowestoft as the model for the fictional settlement Burnstow in his story Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad.

Another real-life inspiration for one of his tales (A Vignette) is the rectory in the Suffolk village of Great Livermere.

James's A Vignette is not the only "spooky" aspect of the above-bolded settlement: this village has been widely reckoned to be the venue of a number of hauntings -- "factual" as it were, as distinct from fictional. Another reputedly highly-haunted settlement is Beaminster, Dorset.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Mapperton is on an unmarked minor road leading from the B3163, which passes through the village of Beaminster Broadwindsor in a westerly direction.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Mapperton is on an unmarked minor road leading from the B3163, which passes through the village of Beaminster Broadwindsor in a westerly direction.

Yet more about Charlie Two and his escape after the Battle of Worcester -- one of the many places where that personage briefly stayed during his complicated flight to exile in France, was Broadwindsor. Another, toward the end of the episode: was Hambledon, Hampshire.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Hambledon in Hampshire is known as one of the early locations of major cricket matches. Lord's Cricket Ground in St John's Wood, London is a modern day major cricket ground.

The Abbey Road studios in St John's Wood are close to probably the most famous zebra crossing in the UK; these crossings were first trialled in Britain in 1949, Newcastle upon Tyne being the zebra guinea pig.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Abbey Road studios in St John's Wood are close to probably the most famous zebra crossing in the UK; these crossings were first trialled in Britain in 1949, Newcastle upon Tyne being the zebra guinea pig.

(My italics) -- initial slightly bewildering visions of a black-and-white-striped small cuddly rodent; but I get your meaning !

Birmingham is another English city with an officially recognised; and valued for tourist-attracting; Chinese quarter.

Springs Branch

Established Member
One unmissable feature of Aston is the A38(M) Aston Expressway cutting through the middle of the district.
The A38 is one of the longer English A-roads, running from Mansfield in Nottinghamshire south-west as far as Bodmin.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bristol was also notably hard-hit by the 14th-century "Black Death" pandemic.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Part of Bedminster is known as Windmill Hill, also the name of a village in East Sussex.

PS - I am determined to find a picture of the zebra guinea pig!

Calthrop

Established Member
Hellingley in East Sussex was also once administered by the Hundred of Dill.

Alfriston, East Sussex, is also located on the River Cuckmere, further down its course. (The H-village here boasted in the past, a railway curiosity which I'd have loved to mention; but of course, "not on the menu" in this game !)

Calthrop

Established Member
In Gautby parish church there is an incised-slab memorial recording the murder of Frederick G. Vyner, of the local family of gentry, by Greek brigands in 1870. A parallel such commemoration of violent death in foreign parts is a plaque in the parish church of Bishop's Stortford, a propos Private Ernest William Boyden: killed at Thaba N'chu, near Bloemfontein, in the Boer War.