• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Calthrop

Established Member
Northallerton lies in the Vale of Mowbray. Melton Mowbray, far to the south, lies at any rate near to the Vale of Belvoir. (I suppose this makes some kind of sense to someone ...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Melton Mowbray lies on the River Eye, which is known below Melton as the Wreake. The river rises at the hamlet of Bescaby, about six miles north-east of Melton Mowbray.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The 14th Century parish church of St Bartholomew, Sproxton was extended and restored in 1882 by the architect Henry Woodyer and is a Grade II* listed building. Another religious building which was restored or rebuilt by him is St Lawrence parish church, Toot Baldon, Oxfordshire, which was done in 1865.

Calthrop

Established Member
Toot Baldon has a pub called the Seven Stars. Welshpool, Powys, had until 1901 a pub of that name; which pub ceased to be (but the name lasted) for reasons of interest to the likes of us -- especially those who are narrow-gauge fans ...

Calthrop

Established Member
Claudius Ptolemy mentions in his Geography, written around 150 A.D., a settlement in the general "mid-Wales" part of Britain, which he calls "Mediolanum among the Ordovices". There are assorted rival contenders for identification as the place rightfully holding that title. One is Meifod; another is Caersws, Powys.

Calthrop

Established Member
Toot Baldon has a pub called the Seven Stars. Welshpool, Powys, had until 1901 a pub of that name; which pub ceased to be (but the name lasted) for reasons of interest to the likes of us -- especially those who are narrow-gauge fans ...

Have just realised -- I put, bolded, "Toot"... above; but I meant "Marsh" -- it's Marsh Baldon that has the Seven Stars pub. Apologies !

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Claudius Ptolemy mentions in his Geography, written around 150 A.D., a settlement in the general "mid-Wales" part of Britain, which he calls "Mediolanum among the Ordovices". There are assorted rival contenders for identification as the place rightfully holding that title. One is Meifod; another is Caersws, Powys.
Atcham in Shropshire also lies on the line of the River Severn.

Calthrop

Established Member
Something of a link with an English site: Pontdolgoch's name means in Welsh, "bridge over the red meadow": per Wiki, derived from "an ancient, and bloody, battle". An also bloody, but less ancient one, was that of [Market] Bosworth, Leicestershire, in 1485. Its bearing that name: is due to Market Bosworth's being not the nearest, but the most significant, settlement. It has had over time, alternative names: "Dadlington Field", after the geographically nearest village; and Redmore Plain -- which name, I understand, had belonged to the location previously to the battle: the "bloodshed" association being coincidental.

DerekC

Established Member
Market Bosworth possesses a "Looking Glass Pond". I can't find another in the UK, although there are several in the USA. However Upton House near Ratley in Leicestershire has a "Mirror Pond" so I hope that will do.

Calthrop

Established Member
Market Bosworth possesses a "Looking Glass Pond". I can't find another in the UK, although there are several in the USA. However Upton House near Ratley in Leicestershire has a "Mirror Pond" so I hope that will do.

If I might be forgiven for playing the "pedant" card: by my reckoning, Upton House and Ratley are (just) in Warwickshire -- a bit north-west of Banbury. I can find no Leicestershire Ratley; though there's Ratby, just west of Leicester.

Assuming it's Ratley, Warwickshire, as above: that village has a pub with the very-often-met-with name of the Rose and Crown; parts of which are reckoned to be 900 years old. Otley, West Yorkshire, has a pub of the same name; but this one is a mere infant of some 300 years.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Designed by Nottingham-based architect William Herbert Higginbottom, Cross Street Baptist Church, Arnold was opened in 1909. It replaced a previous building which dated from 1825 on the same site. Much of the architect's work was in the local area; one such was the Village Hall at Ruddington, built between 1912 and 1913.

Calthrop

Established Member
I cannot resist the lagomorphic connection -- even though it's a spurious one: the Nottinghamshire settlement has a couple of suggested name derivations, neither anything to do with lovable but pest-status animals. Richard Adams -- the author who in his fiction, raised rabbit-kind to previously not-ventured-on heights: was born in Wash Common, Berkshire (near Newbury).

Calthrop

Established Member
Robert Noonan (1870 -- 1911) -- who wrote under the pseudonym Robert Tressell, the novel The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, about the hardships of the poorest and most ill-used among the working population around the turn of the 19th / 20th centuries -- is buried in Walton: his grave in what was, but is no longer, an "official" cemetery. He died in Liverpool: a few years previously he had -- while writing his novel -- worked as a painter and decorator in Hastings, East Sussex.

341o2

Established Member
Hastings once had a trolleybus system which became part of Maidstone & District, although it was nearly 20 years before the buses bore the name of their current owner. On abandonment, nearby Maidstone Corporation purchased some of the trolleybuses, and to the chagrin of other buyers, they got there first, and chose the ones in the best mechanical condition

Calthrop

Established Member
Broomfield is very close to the highly picturesque and historic Leeds Castle; which one suspects may have given trouble to the occasional not very well-informed foreign tourist in England -- viz. their setting off to Leeds, West Yorkshire, in quest of said castle.

Calthrop

Established Member
Malden Rushett; and Woolbeding, West Sussex (near Midhurst); have in common -- that on eminences in their near environs, were relay stations on the semaphore telegraph line between London and Portsmouth which operated from 1822 to 1847, chiefly for transmission of naval and military information.