• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
If I might be forgiven for playing the "pedant" card: by my reckoning, Upton House and Ratley are (just) in Warwickshire -- a bit north-west of Banbury. I can find no Leicestershire Ratley; though there's Ratby, just west of Leicester.
Apologies - I don't know why I typed Leicestershire. Upton House is indeed in Warwickshire, although close to the boundary with Oxfordshire.
Sookholme in Nottinghamshire was also once under the jurisdiction of the Mansfield Poor Law Union.
There is some evidence that Sookholme was the site of a Roman bath. A definite Roman bath complex alongside a temple has recently been discovered at Exton in Hampshire. The archaeologists are excited because of evidence of continuous use as a religious site from the pre-Roman Iron Age, with a horse and foal sacrifice buried beneath the base of the temple tower.

Calthrop

Established Member
Plaitford lies on the River Blackwater -- one of several of that name in the British Isles. Another -- considerably larger -- such, is Northern Ireland's Blackwater, which flows into Lough Neagh from the west. It rises near Fivemiletown, Co. Tyrone.

Calthrop

Established Member
Cronkbourne in the Isle of Man also has a noted creamery.

This game is very educational ! Thought I knew the Isle of Man quite well, but had never before heard of Cronkbourne. I learn that it's a suburban setting, between Douglas and Onchan.

Westhoughton in Greater Manchester also has a well-established cricket club.

Newbury, Berkshire, also saw varied action in the English Civil War / War of the Three Kingdoms.

341o2

Established Member
Scenes from the recent remake of Swallows and Amazons were shot at Heptonstall, the original, and many of Ransomes' books are based on the Lake District, especially Bowness upon Windermere

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Bowness on Windermere or Rio to the Swallows in the first novel

DerekC

Established Member
Bowness is home to the World of Beatrix Potter attraction. The lady herself lived on the other side of the lake, close to Esthwaite Water, in Near Sawrey.

Calthrop

Established Member
Sawtry has a pub called the Greystones (which the Cistercians presumably did not frequent). Sheffield has a pub with the same name.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Sheffield University has (or had - seems to have gone quiet of late) a Pork Pie Appreciation Society.

Another long-established Pork Pie Appreciation Society is based at The Old Bridge Inn in Ripponden, West Yorks.

D6130

Established Member
The Old Bridge Inn in Ripponden claims to be the oldest pub in Yorkshire, allegedly opened in 1307. However Ye Olde Fighting Cocks in St Albans, Hertfordshire, claims to be the oldest pub in England. (Other pubs have the same claim though).

341o2

Established Member
Brize Norton is another settlement associated with an RAF base

Calthrop

Established Member
There seems to be doubt as to the origin of the "Brize" in Brize Norton's name. Some see it as being derived from the name of the local lords of the manor in medieval times; others ascribe it to the parish church's being dedicated to St. Britius. At all events, this is the UK's only church dedicated to this saint -- the name being a variant of his more familiar name of St. Brice of Tours, in his native country Gaul / France. Another saint reckoned to have only one church in the UK dedicated to him, is St. Gluvias -- said church being that of the settlement of that name, in Cornwall (near Falmouth).

Calthrop

Established Member
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, is also twinned with a settlement in the German State of Hesse. Wirksworth's "twin" is Frankenau; Chesterfield's, Darmstadt.