• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
As we know, "they pronounce things funny in Norfolk"; the above-bolded settlement is pronounced "Windum". I understand that the considerably smaller Wymondham in Leicestershire, a few miles east of Melton Mowbray, is pronounced approx. as spelt: "Wye-m'nd-um".

Calthrop

Established Member
Hastings also holds an annual commemoration, with medieval-battle re-enactors taking the central role, of the prominent historical battle which took place at / near the (respective) town.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hungerford, Berkshire, also has antique shops in profusion. (I liked the name of one in Hythe -- "Den of Antiquity".)

Shire horses of the Wadsworth brewery in Devizes still pull traditional drays to deliver beer to local pubs. This practice was also followed by Youngs brewery in Wandsworth, south London, until in 2006 they (very regrettably) upped sticks and moved production to Bedford.

Calthrop

Established Member
The composer Gustav Holst lived for a while in Barnes; also for a while, in Thaxted (Essex).

Calthrop

Established Member
Knaresborough also has a school -- long of the "grammar" variety -- initiated via a charter from King James I. (We also had "Mr. Slobber" only yesterday -- I seem to have got him rather on the brain at the moment.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Eugene Aram (1714 - 1759), of some notoriety as a philological scholar and also a murderer, was born in Ramsgill. After killing a friend in 1744 -- the crime initially undetected -- he left his native Yorkshire and worked in various parts further south: finally in King's Lynn, where justice at last caught up with him.

Calthrop

Established Member
William Byrd -- organist and composer "by appointment to" Queen Elizabeth I -- was earlier in his life, organist and master of the choristers of Lincoln Cathedral. He lived for the last years of his life at Stondon Massey, near Brentwood, Essex.

Calthrop

Established Member
Edward Smith, captain of the ill-fated Titanic, resided for a while in the above-bolded settlement. He was born in Hanley, Staffordshire.

DerekC

Established Member
Hanley Deep Pit, at approximately 500 yards, was the deepest in the North Staffordshire Coalfield. For comparison the deepest in South Wales was Nantgarw, at 856 yards

Calthrop

Established Member
Nantgarw is the location -- in an area developed on the site of the one-time colliery and coking works -- of the headquarters of Cadw, Wales's equivalent of English Heritage: the HQ of which is in Swindon, Wiltshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
Prominent figures in Scotland's part in the politico / religious "disagreements big-time" of the 17th century -- and who shared the same surname -- were John Graham of Claverhouse, 1st Viscount Dundee; and James Graham, 1st Marquis of Montrose.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Bervie Chipper in Inverbervie won the title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year in 1997. A lot further south: Trip Advisor speaks well of The Fish Dish fish-and-chips restaurant in Felixstowe.