• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

DerekC

Established Member
You can walk or cycle the Killamarsh Greenway and then the Cuckoo Way, following the towpath of the Chesterfield Canal all the way to West Stockwith where it locks down into the River Trent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

West Stockwith was linked to East Stockwith -across the Trent in Lincolnshire - by a 'winch ferry', also known as a chain ferry. A similar ferry links Trowlock Island to the mainland in the SW London district of Teddington, albeit across a rather smaller waterway, an arm of the Thames.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bangor, Co. Down, is also twinned with a settlement on Lake Konstanz alias the Bodensee: Richmond's twin is Konstanz (Germany); Bangor's is Bregenz, Austria.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hastings also -- and quite a number of other settlements too, in this part of England nearest to France -- featured prominently on the smuggling scene a couple of centuries ago.

Calthrop

Established Member
The actress Miriam Margolyes (Professor Sprout in the Harry Potter films) owns a home in Dover. She studied at Newnham College, Cambridge.

Calthrop

Established Member
Saint Dunstan (c.909 -- 988) was born in Baltonsborough. At one stage of his career he was Bishop of Worcester.

Calthrop

Established Member
Taking one of my favourite "go-to" 's -- Castleton, Derbyshire, also has a namesake town in the U.S. state of Vermont. (I had long thought that the celebrated 1969 pop / rock happening took place at Woodstock, Vermont -- hence the name; but find that in fact its venue was instead, a relatively short way north of New York City -- not very far from, but also not very near, another settlement called Woodstock. Seems that with these rock-'n-roll types, nothing can ever be straightforward ...)

Calthrop

Established Member
Comrie (Perth and Kinross) also holds each New Year, a celebration involving fire. Comrie's, features torches; Allendale Town's, flaming tar barrels carried on people's heads. (The Allendale Town custom is in fact relatively new -- well under 200 years.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Harry Churchill Beet (1873 -- 1946) whom I like for his marvellous name (were his parents fans of Winston's dad?) -- Boer War hero and Victoria Cross recipient -- was born a little way outside Bingham; but for the majority of his life in England (he emigrated to Canada, relatively early), resided in Long Eaton, Derbyshire.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
Former Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman described Ludlow as "the loveliest town in England".
Another of his favourite locations, which featured in his poem An Edwardian Sunday.... is the Sheffield suburb of Broomhill.

341o2

Established Member
Llanhilleth has two mounds which are the site of a former castle, Buckland Rings, Lymington is the site of an iron age fort

Calthrop

Established Member
Brockenhurst in Hampshire was also once under the jurisdiction of the Lymington Poor Law Union.

Indian soldiers wounded in World War I were concentrated for treatment, at the above-bolded settlement; similarly, at Brighton (in the Royal Pavilion).

Calthrop

Established Member
Holmfirth in West Yorkshire is another settlement where very early-period British films were made.

I learn that the pioneering film-making firm referenced here, subsequently switched to the production of saucy seaside postcards. Ryde, Isle of Wight, has a museum dedicated to the works of Donald McGill, creator par excellence of s.s.p.'s. (I often visit the Island -- keep meaning to call in at this museum, but have yet actually to do so.)

341o2

Established Member
Phil Millar using the pseudonym Pedro also provided a range of saucy seaside postcards, 25 of his original paintings were found dumped in a skip in Calne