• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Big Meadow at Bidford on Avon is a recreation area. Big Meadow at Loughborough, on the other hand, is a nature reserve comprised of ancient water meadows with lots of wildlife (including, no doubt, frogs).

The ancient Brittonic kingdom of Elmet included parts of West and South Yorkshire and north Derbyshire. It is remembered also in the name of Scholes in Elmet

(and there are probably lots of frogs there, too)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The village of Bidford-on-Avon grew up around an ancient ford, now replaced by a narrow stone bridge, on the Icknield Street or Ryknild Street Roman Road. This runs from the Fosse Way at Bourton on the Water in Gloucestershire to Templeborough in South Yorkshire.

Catterline is at the end of a network of unmarked but mostly named roads leading off the A92. This road joins the A90, and then (as the A90) passes the outskirts of Stonehaven.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Hmm - Gillybrands seems to be a farm and nothing more. However discovering that the owner is Mr A Shepherd and that the farm used to be a pub called the "Jeally Branns Inn" has made me less grumpy than usual so i won't register an official complaint! Gillybrands is on the Burn of Elsick which flows into the sea at nearby Newtonhill.

Calthrop

Established Member
Newtonhill used to have the more stirring / attention-grabbing name of Skateraw; in fact the older part of the settlement is still known at least semi-officially by that name. Another settlement with a name evocative of sea fish and their eating, is Gurnard, Isle of Wight -- just outside Cowes.

Calthrop

Established Member
Weird place, the Isle of Wight: -- it contains two rivers called the Yar. Yarmouth is at the mouth of the Westerm Yar; its eastern counterpart reaches the sea at St. Helens, I.O.W.

Calthrop

Established Member
There is a Broad -- name given to shallow lakes linked to the river system in this part of East Anglia -- which takes its name from Hickling. Just over the border in Suffolk, another such lake is called Oulton Broad; name originally from the village of Oulton a little to the north -- in more recent times, though, a newer settlement and parish has come into being, nearer to the body of water -- settlement in fact called Oulton Broad.

DerekC

Established Member
The Victorian travel writer George Borrow married a lady with property in Oulton Broad and lived there towards the end of his life. He was born in East Dereham.

DerekC

Established Member
From Burnham Norton you can follow the Norfolk Coastal Path to Holme next the Sea, then Peddar's Way, the Icknield Way, the Great Ridgeway and the Wessex Ridgeway all the way to Lyme Regis in Dorset. I wonder how long it would take?

341o2

Established Member
Moycullen is now regarded as a satellite town to Galway, London has several, one of the earliest being Letchworth

341o2

Established Member
Micheldever is on the route of the Roman road between Winchester and Manchester, the town's name inspired that of Michel Delving in the Lord of the Rings (along with an Anglo Saxon phrase)

Calthrop

Established Member
I can't resist Tolkien-related ones ! Another associated name: the hobbits' Shire has an "extension" of sorts, to the east of the Brandywine River -- this region called Buckland, the fief of the Brandybuck family. There are a fair number of villages in England bearing that name; I'm choosing Buckland, Buckinghamshire -- a little way east of Aylesbury.

341o2

Established Member
I once knew someone whose university thesis was the origins, the names, legends etc behind Tolkein's work

Calthrop

Established Member
I once knew someone whose university thesis was the origins, the names, legends etc behind Tolkein's work

What better subject for a thesis? (Not that I can claim to be a truly hard-core Tolkien fan: some while ago I acquired a copy of the Silmarillion, but have yet to nerve myself to open it.)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Buckland House is a large Georgian stately home and the manor house of the village. It is a masterpiece of Palladian architecture designed by John Wood the Younger and built for Sir Robert Throckmorton in 1757. Much of his work was in Bath, but as well as Buckland House, he also designed the General Infirmary in Salisbury.

Springs Branch

Established Member
During the Roman occupation of Britain, Colchester (known as Camulodunum at the time) was destroyed during a rebellion by the local Iceni tribe in AD 61, led by their queen Boadicea.

The capital of the Iceni tribe was Venta Icenorum (translates as "marketplace of the Iceni") located at the modern-day Norfolk village of Caistor St Edmund.