• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Bridge — Would It Have Remained Open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
A question that has crossed my mind is this. Had the Severn Bridge not been knocked down by an errant pair of barges in 1960, or if it had been repaired after the incident, would it have remained in service and survived the various rounds of railway closures since then? Would it have remained useful for goods or passenger services, or as a diversionary route when the Severn Tunnel was out of commission?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
A question that has crossed my mind is this. Had the Severn Bridge not been knocked down by an errant pair of barges in 1960, or if it had been repaired after the incident, would it have remained in service and survived the various rounds of railway closures since then? Would it have remained useful for goods or passenger services, or as a diversionary route when the Severn Tunnel was out of commission?
We had a thread about this earlier this month
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...dge-hadnt-been-destroyed.172166/#post-4240413

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I didn't see that thread -- thanks for the pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.