• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Tunnel Junction - Pilning High Level Car Transport Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthBritish

A very good and longstanding friend and I have recently become aware of this service which was started by the GWR in 1924. We believe that, like the Aust car ferry, it operated right up until the opening of the Severn Bridge and in latter years was scheduled to operate typically between two and four times a day. The few photographs that exist on the web all show steam locomotives as the motive power. The journey itself was scheduled to take no more than twenty minutes and was not cheap. In 1964, a return second class fare for one car accompanied by one passenger was 38/6 (£1.925) further passengers being another 3/6 (£0.175) each. Taking RPI inflation, the return fare would now be c£40 and much higher if rail fare inflation were to be applied.

The issue we have not been able to resolve is what was the motive power in its latter days. In steam days, we believe Severn Tunnel Junction shed provided the motive power and we have seen photographs of a 45xx Small Prairie tank and a 61xx Collett tank engine on the duty pulling a single composite coach and a few flat wagons indicating demand in the 1950's and 60's was not large and, given the paucity of service, that makes sense. We know that Severn Tunnel Junction shed closed to steam in October 1965 and its remaining steam allocation went to Gloucester Horton Road. We assume the locomotive allocated to the service was then provided by Gloucester Horton Road. Gloucester Horton Road lost its steam allocation very shortly afterwards on 1st January 1966 which implies, for the remaining period up until the Severn Road bridge opened on 8th September 1966, that diesels must have been used for motive power. Can anyone shed light on whether this was the case, from which depot and which diesel locomotive class was assigned to this service before these facts are lost to the "mists of time"?

It is a small aspect of railway history that fascinates us and we would love to learn more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I think this featured on a DVD somewhere. IIRC it stated the coach used was an ex slip coach. Can't remember the name of the video/DVD at the moment.

Taunton

Established Member
The locos were generally taken from the "Severn Tunnel Bankers" (actually pilots on the front), of which STJ shed had a considerable stud of classic GWR 2-6-2Ts, originally 31xx, later 51xx/41xx. As well as the car shuttle, which must have seemed an easy duty, their main duties were to pilot eastbound heavy freights, mainly coal but also others, from STJ yard to various points through the tunnel; Pilning loop occasionally, but more commonly Stoke Gifford yard, and sometimes all the way up to Badminton, or to Filton. The climb out of the bottom of the tunnel is pretty consistently 1 in 90 all the way up to Patchway station, and piloting was needed both to avoid stalling in the tunnel but also to help line occupation on a busy double track main line.

Given the line occupation, if there was a freight (much of them empties of course) going the other way the returning pilot would assist as well, as much for line occupation as anything.

The signal section from Pilning to Severn Tunnel Junction was nearly 5 miles, half substantially uphill. In WW2 the GWR put in Intermediate Block signals in the tunnel, these didn't work particularly reliably in the wet conditions and although there was never an accident there were some near incidents, and in the early 1950s they were taken out again. Checking the tail lamp of a train coming out of the tunnel was given a very high priority.

In the last year (possibly only months) after STJ steam shed closed I believe the shuttle, one coach and a couple of car flats, was handled by a D68xx loco, a complete overkill. I seem to recall the end of the steam pilots coincided with any remaining unfitted freights being diverted via Gloucester.

I don't know why the WR stuck with the car shuttle as long as they did. It apparently normally only took two or three cars, of which just one might have shelled out for the tarpaulin covers (a hangover from 1920s cars mostly being open), and hardly anybody queueing for the Aust ferry was aware of it at all, let alone its handful of departure times. One of its potential users would be singer Bob Dylan, whose publicity for his biographical film "No Direction Home" features Dylan standing on the Aust slipway, his touring Daimler in the background https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Direction_Home

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
How did those costs compare with the ferry alternative charge? prior to the bridge opening.

NorthBritish

It would appear, with a driver, the ferry charge ranged between 9/6 (47.5p) and 12/6 (62.5p) single in the summer of 1966. The single rail fare for car plus driver in 1964-5 was 24/3 (£1.225) travelling second class. The problem with the ferry was it was subject to the tides, being unable to run at low tide, and significant queues could build up for it. I guess, for some people who did not want to drive via Gloucester, the train did give you some certainty at a price compared with the ferry where wait times could vary. However, there were various requirements like not crossing with a full tank of petrol. To quote from the 1964-5 Western Region timetable "Some petrol (not more than a quart in motor cycles) may be left in the tanks provided that the ignition is switched off, the key removed and there is no leakage". When the Severn Bridge opened in 1966, the cost for a car was 2/6 (12.5p) so a considerable cost and time saving, especially for larger cars!

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member

WesternLancer

Established Member
Saw an interesting BBC4 doc about the building of the 1960s bridge, which heavily featured the ferry and the notorious (it seemed) queues to use the ferry, but I don't think the rail alternative was mentioned.

Which makes one wonder why the railway did not ever seriously build up a rival, and more efficient service, capable of shifting more cars more quickly.

Was it that the safety issues around cars, petrol and steam locos were too tricky to resolve for a service at significant scale, or that the railway didn't want the business?
Interesting to read the notes on the 1952 timetable, eg ref fuel supply rules etc etc in that link from rmweb above!

etr221

From c1959 AA Road Book of England and Wales:
By train, Pilning to STJ, cars 17/- or 25/5, trailer caravans 17/-, M/C 1/11 to 3/9, passengers 1/9 1st class, 1/2 2nd. "Limited accomodation [for cars, &c], previous warning, by letter, telegram or telephone should be given as far in advance as possible" Solo motor cycles carried in guard's compartment of any train. Full details from the stations, or WR TT
By ferry, Beachley to Aust. Daily from 9 am, average of 9 crossings each way, more in summer, timings vary with tides (TT available on request). Trailer caravans not accepted. Capacity 17 cars, time in transit 15 minutes. No service Christmas and Boxing Days. Cars (according to length) 6/6 to 12/6, Tri-car 5/-, M/C 1/6, all including driver. Passengers 1/-

For the benefit of those not brought up on old money (£sd): 1/- = 1 shilling = 5p; 1/6 = 1s (shilling) 6d (old pence) = 7½p

Taunton

Established Member
To quote from the 1964-5 Western Region timetable "Some petrol (not more than a quart in motor cycles) may be left in the tanks provided that the ignition is switched off, the key removed and there is no leakage".
That's by 1964. Just a couple of years beforehand there was a further paragraph about what to do with shutting off the Autovac and interrupting the petrol supply. I don't think any cars had been made with an Autovac since the late 1920s (which is what you have if you don't have a battery/electric supply on the car for an electric petrol pump), but the WR realised only very late on.

I did read a principal user of the service was the railway CCE to move their vehicles etc across the river.

NorthBritish

Saw an interesting BBC4 doc about the building of the 1960s bridge, which heavily featured the ferry and the notorious (it seemed) queues to use the ferry, but I don't think the rail alternative was mentioned.

Which makes one wonder why the railway did not ever seriously build up a rival, and more efficient service, capable of shifting more cars more quickly.

Was it that the safety issues around cars, petrol and steam locos were too tricky to resolve for a service at significant scale, or that the railway didn't want the business?
Interesting to read the notes on the 1952 timetable, eg ref fuel supply rules etc etc in that link from rmweb above!

Given the length of time it could take by ferry and the impact of low tides on operations, it does indeed make you wonder why the railways could not have mounted a more successful operation and go for a bit more volume at a lower price. Perhaps the volume of passenger, coal and other trains through the tunnel did not make this possible on a grander scale. 500,000 cars carried on the ferry in its last year vs. probably no more than perhaps 10,000 at the very most by rail and goodness knows how many via Gloucester. There was certainly a market for it.

For anyone interested, here are a couple of short films towards the end of the Aust car ferry that I came across

A news item video from the BBC regarding the closure of the Severn Tunnel car ferry service can be found here. It actually closed on 6th October nearly a full month after the bridge opened. Must have been pretty deserted for those last four weeks.

Thanks everybody for the information. I have now had the chance to look at the December 1966 Railway Magazine that marks the closure of the service and it confirms English Electric Type 3 diesels (Class 37 in today's language) were used on the service in its final months with bogie carflats having replaced four-wheel wagons on which the car had to be tied down. It also notes that the service was the last working place of a GWR slip-coach with one of 1947 Hawksworth origin being the coaching stock for the service and I note that was some six years after the last proper slip car working at Bicester North.

I am sure there is still more information to be learnt about this service so if anyone can add further to our knowledge that would be great.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The piece in the December 1966 Railway Magazine mentions that the service ceased "after October 6". (The bridge has opened on September 8.) Car fare latterly 42s 6d plus 1st or 2nd class passenger fares as relevant. Tarpaulin cover for vehicle was another 5s 0d. Steam locomotives had been Tunnel bankers 31XX or 61XX 2-6-2 tanks. Latterly diesel English Electric Type 3s. Bogie car flats took over from the historical 4-wheel flat wagons. The carriage was the last 1947 Hawksworth former slip-coach.

WesternBiker

What a wonderful thread - brings back memories. We used to travel regularly (at one point every weekend) from Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset to my grandparents' home in Penarth. Prior to the Severn Bridge opening in 1966, we mostly used the ferry from Aust to Beachley, and occasionally the passenger-only ferry service from Weston-Super-Mare (Birnbeck Pier) to Penarth.

My father tried to avoid the Pilning - Severn Tunnel Junction rail service - we used it a handful of times. It was a turn-off having to give prior notice (pretty much a requirement on weekends) and it was difficult arriving at a predictable time given traffic in Bristol. I recall some long delays because of the difficulty in loading cars. And it was a lot more expensive than the ferry, which, outside the summer, was reasonably predictable so long as the tides were convenient. (Queues were notorious in the summer.) The drive via Gloucester was hell - Chepstow was a significant bottleneck.

WesternLancer

Established Member
What a wonderful thread - brings back memories. We used to travel regularly (at one point every weekend) from Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset to my grandparents' home in Penarth. Prior to the Severn Bridge opening in 1966, we mostly used the ferry from Aust to Beachley, and occasionally the passenger-only ferry service from Weston-Super-Mare (Birnbeck Pier) to Penarth.

My father tried to avoid the Pilning - Severn Tunnel Junction rail service - we used it a handful of times. It was a turn-off having to give prior notice (pretty much a requirement on weekends) and it was difficult arriving at a predictable time given traffic in Bristol. I recall some long delays because of the difficulty in loading cars. And it was a lot more expensive than the ferry, which, outside the summer, was reasonably predictable so long as the tides were convenient. (Queues were notorious in the summer.) The drive via Gloucester was hell - Chepstow was a significant bottleneck.
Great to read those personal memories of your father's take on the train service option.

Given the length of time it could take by ferry and the impact of low tides on operations, it does indeed make you wonder why the railways could not have mounted a more successful operation and go for a bit more volume at a lower price. Perhaps the volume of passenger, coal and other trains through the tunnel did not make this possible on a grander scale. 500,000 cars carried on the ferry in its last year vs. probably no more than perhaps 10,000 at the very most by rail and goodness knows how many via Gloucester. There was certainly a market for it.

For anyone interested, here are a couple of short films towards the end of the Aust car ferry that I came across

A news item video from the BBC regarding the closure of the Severn Tunnel car ferry service can be found here. It actually closed on 6th October nearly a full month after the bridge opened. Must have been pretty deserted for those last four weeks.

Thanks everybody for the information. I have now had the chance to look at the December 1966 Railway Magazine that marks the closure of the service and it confirms English Electric Type 3 diesels (Class 37 in today's language) were used on the service in its final months with bogie carflats having replaced four-wheel wagons on which the car had to be tied down. It also notes that the service was the last working place of a GWR slip-coach with one of 1947 Hawksworth origin being the coaching stock for the service and I note that was some six years after the last proper slip car working at Bicester North.

I am sure there is still more information to be learnt about this service so if anyone can add further to our knowledge that would be great.
Thanks for posting those links. Look forward to perusing them.

Taunton

Established Member
We used to travel regularly (at one point every weekend) from Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset to my grandparents' home in Penarth.
Having actually been on Burnham beach a few days ago (in between the incessant rain) Penarth, along with the high-rise buildings of Cardiff, was readily visible across the water, which must have been infuriating. Did you ever use the Campbells steamer from Weston to Barry Island as an alternative?

Last edited:

WesternBiker

Having actually been on Burnham beach a few days ago (in between the incessant rain) Penarth, along with the high-rise buildings of Cardiff, was readily visible across the water, which must have been infuriating. Did you ever use the Campbells steamer from Weston to Barry Island as an alternative?

Not to Barry - the one I remember was from Birnbeck Pier in Weston-super-Mare to Penarth Pier, which was a regular (albeit subject to tides) rather than excursion service. I think it went on to Cardiff, although the pier there was more affected by tides than Penarth, so I only recall Weston to Penarth.

It's an idea for a thread, though - the jetty at Burnham itself was built by the Somerset & Dorset Railway for a short-lived Cardiff to Burnham service in the 1860s. There is an interesting potted history of the jetty at Burnham here: http://www.captureburnham.co.uk/landmarks/sea-front/the-jetty The rails are still there, albeit covered by tarmac: they were not used by passengers, who covered the short distance from the station on foot, but for goods, hauled on a wire. An interesting feature was that the lifeboat was also launched using the rails - the former lifeboat building being adjacent to the station.

One difference was, of course, that you had to book, whereas the ferry was a turn-up-and-go service. And booking in those days meant writing by post! It certainly felt like the railway didn't really want the business.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
One difference was, of course, that you had to book, whereas the ferry was a turn-up-and-go service. And booking in those days meant writing by post! It certainly felt like the railway didn't really want the business.
It is interesting to note that in Volume 3 of the History of the Great Western Railway by O S Nock the author takes a fairly cynical tone when discussing the cumbersome arrangements for the car shuttle. Slightly tongue in cheek he concludes, "Nevertheless it was a gesture, typical of the unbounded spirit of enterprise on the GWR during the days of Sir Felix Pole". Sir Felix was early to appreciate the importance of "Publicity and Propaganda" and even included a chapter on the subject in his autobiography (albeit not mentioning the shuttle specifically).

The railway system had a long tradition of conveying 'carriages' and horses in special vehicles attached to passenger trains dating back to their earliest days. However there was a morbid fear of early motor vehicles catching fire and several companies' timetables had explicit instructions that cars had to be purged of petrol or gas, steam cars' fires extinguished and electric cars batteries/accumulators removed before being consigned by goods train. "Motor cars will NOT be conveyed on passenger trains" appeared in various places. So the shuttle was all part of a learning curve.

Taunton

Established Member
However there was a morbid fear of early motor vehicles catching fire and several companies' timetables had explicit instructions that cars had to be purged of petrol or gas, steam cars' fires extinguished and electric cars batteries/accumulators removed before being consigned by goods train. "Motor cars will NOT be conveyed on passenger trains" appeared in various places. So the shuttle was all part of a learning curve.
As the Channel Tunnel experience shows, not something to have completely gone away.

morrisobrien

The P.&A.Campbell steamer sailings by the famous 'White Funnel Fleet" between Birnbeck Pier and Penarth were only seasonal, normally starting on Maundy Thursday and finishing mid October.
After 1956 Cardiff was the HQ of the company.It did not have a pier, but two floating pontoons at the end of Bute Street.Up to four steamers could "overnight"there.All sailings to/from Cardiff would call at Penarth.

Taunton

Established Member
I remember from early 1960s visits to Weston that the return steamer from Weston left at about 5pm; we used to be in a cafe there overlooking the pier and see it go. How long did it take to cross? About an hour?

There was also a more spasmodic service, dependent on tides, which left Bristol, round about Cumberland Basin, at around 9am, and hip-hopped along to Clevedon, Weston, Penarth, Minehead, Porthcawl and Ilfracombe, and then returned the same way, taking all day, and on occasion it even called at Lynmouth (if tide was high) and Lundy. I think Campbells were down to two vessels by then, the Bristol Queen and the Cardiff Queen, which shared the runs between them. Anyone have a timetable?

Again if I am not mistaken the vessels were not subject to drink licensing regulations on Sundays, limited in England and absolutely closed in Wales, and imbibers made up a notable proportion of the business.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I remember from early 1960s visits to Weston that the return steamer from Weston left at about 5pm; we used to be in a cafe there overlooking the pier and see it go. How long did it take to cross? About an hour?

There was also a more spasmodic service, dependent on tides, which left Bristol, round about Cumberland Basin, at around 9am, and hip-hopped along to Clevedon, Weston, Penarth, Minehead, Porthcawl and Ilfracombe, and then returned the same way, taking all day, and on occasion it even called at Lynmouth (if tide was high) and Lundy. I think Campbells were down to two vessels by then, the Bristol Queen and the Cardiff Queen, which shared the runs between them. Anyone have a timetable?

Again if I am not mistaken the vessels were not subject to drink licensing regulations on Sundays, limited in England and absolutely closed in Wales, and imbibers made up a notable proportion of the business.

I recall quite a bit of material about Campbells that was very well presented in this BBC doc (when next on), which certainly mentioned a number of their routes, although not in specific timetable level detail of course. I certainly recall interesting interviews with former staff. It certainly mentioned the impact of the licensing regulations that you mention Taunton!

morrisobrien

I recall quite a bit of material about Campbells that was very well presented in this BBC doc (when next on), which certainly mentioned a number of their routes, although not in specific timetable level detail of course. I certainly recall interesting interviews with former staff. It certainly mentioned the impact of the licensing regulations that you mention Taunton!

I am actually in that documentary on BBC4.
It was me who met Sabrina as an eight year old!!

WesternBiker

The P.&A.Campbell steamer sailings by the famous 'White Funnel Fleet" between Birnbeck Pier and Penarth were only seasonal, normally starting on Maundy Thursday and finishing mid October.
After 1956 Cardiff was the HQ of the company.It did not have a pier, but two floating pontoons at the end of Bute Street.Up to four steamers could "overnight"there.All sailings to/from Cardiff would call at Penarth.
Ah, thank you for that correction. It may explain why, in my memories of going to Wales by train, it was always dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.