• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shepperton Petersfield Chichester fare query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, All being well I need to Travel in a few weeks time from Shepperton to Petersfield and Chichester.

Going out on a Monday afternoon, back the next day, Tuesday afternoon.

I Do have a Network South East Card.

I have found a return fare of £ 27.00 Shepperton/Chichester, would that allow me to break my journey at Petersfield and carry on to Chichester changing at Havant?

My Ideal times-journey would be;

Monday afternoon, Depart Shepperton via Clapham Jct to Petersfield (To arrive there about 1600)

Tuesday morning around 1000 or a little after, Depart Petersfield to Chichester, (To arrive about 1200 noonish) changing trains at Havant.

Tuesday afternoon, depart Chichester about 15-1600 ish, to Shepperton changing at Clapham Junction.

I can also change at Wimbledon and or Woking, if that helps and saves money.

Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks, Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
You're looking at this ticket..

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=SHP&dest=CCH&rlc=NEW&rte=700&tkt=SVR

I haven't looked to see if their are cheaper ways of doing this journey but this ticket look fine for most of the journey you're planning.

Kingston and Twickenham pass as origin routeing points and Havant and Ford pass as destination routeing points. You'll need to avoid doubling back between your origin and destination routeing point so if you want to do Clapham-Petersfield via the South West Main Line you'd want to go to Clapham via Twickenham and Putney. Otherwise join the main line at New Maldon (or further down). [Actually, I think doubleback Easement 000012 might allow you to go up as far a Wimbledon before doubling back but in any case you can't pass twice through Earlsfield.] The same applies in the reverse direction if you're coming back to Clapham via SWML - obviously it's not a problem if you're returning via the Brighton Main line.

The other thing to be aware of is you'll be using your off-peak return for outward travel on two days.

That shouldn't be a problem - see ...

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...1-ticket-types-conditions.70018/#post-1179549

"An overnight stay en-route is allowed as follows: If the individual ticket restrictions allow break of journey Overnight stay anywhere en-route allowed if the passenger so wishes; it is his/her decision alone."

Unfortunately, RDG say "Off-Peak Return Tickets are valid for one return journey.The outward part is valid for travel on the date shownon the Ticket. If you *cannot* complete your journey on the same day, you will be allowed to finish it the following day" (from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Guide to Tickets 2018.pdf page 4) so it's possible you might encounter a member of staff who thinks you should have keep going as far as you could on day one.

Since you can break your journey anywhere and, normally, staff won't know when you stopped on day one I think it's unlikely it would be an issue.

(Other opinions welcomed on this point...)

Veteran Member
1. I can't see any issue in practice (and NRE seems to agree) with going to CLJ by the normal route
2. The fractionally cheaper HAVANT - NOT VIA LONDON ticket is also valid by both routes and would reduce the opportunity for hassle over the overnight BOJ by 50%.
3. If I didn't want the potential hassle I would buy a single Petersfield-Havant for day 2, however I agree that this is unnecessary.

JB_B

Established Member
1. I can't see any issue in practice (and NRE seems to agree) with going to CLJ by the normal route ...

Interesting - I couldn't get Shepperton, Kingston,New Malden, Clapham, (New Malden), Petersfield, Chichester out of NRE for the not London ticket.

Without via points it continues from Clapham via Gatwick.

With via points CLJ,PTR it would only offer the more expensive via London ticket (where the split route avoids the double back issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.