• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shoeburyness & Southend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altfish

I'm considering doing a bit of track bashing...

Would like to do
Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness then return to Southend Central. Then walk to Southend Victoria and get the train back to Liverpool Street

Is it possible to get a return ticket that'll cover this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Tickets from London Terminals are only valid to one or the other (except for the season ticket). You would need to buy a ticket from somewhere slightly further afield, like Finsbury Park which will be issued to "Southend Cen/Vic" and is valid on either route.

Or if you already have a travelcard, you can get a Boundary Zone 6 - Southend Cen/Vic ticket that can be used either way.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Theoretically doable with a London Terminals - Shoeburyness ticket valid via Any Permitted route. GA staff my disagree, however!

JB_B

Established Member
Theoretically doable with a London Terminals - Shoeburyness ticket valid via Any Permitted route. GA staff my disagree, however!

That would certainly be reasonable but can you explain how it's permitted? ( For Liverpool Street-Victoria-[walk]-Central-Shoeburyness using a London Terminals - Shoeburyness ticket routed "Any Permitted" or vv.)

AFAICS the mapped routes from London to Shoeburyness all go via Pitsea and going via Southend Victoria isn't within 3 miles of the shortest route.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
That would certainly be reasonable but can you explain how it's permitted? ( For Liverpool Street-Victoria-[walk]-Central-Shoeburyness using a London Terminals - Shoeburyness ticket routed "Any Permitted" or vv.)

AFAICS the mapped routes from London to Shoeburyness all go via Pitsea and going via Southend Victoria isn't within 3 miles of the shortest route.
Having just checked the (e)NRT and RG I can see that is indeed the case. I was on my mobile at the time and had foolishly assumed that Liverpool Street - Southend Vic was roughly the same distance as Fenchurch Street - Southend Central, and that Southend would be a Routeing Group.

Trainsplit suggests the following combination:
  • London Terminals to Shoeburyness Anytime Day Single (SDS) at £13.90
  • Shoeburyness to Stratford (London) Super Off-Peak Day Single (SOA) at £14.50
  • Stratford (London) to Zone U1-3 SDS at £4.90
Giving a total of £33.30.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm considering doing a bit of track bashing...

Would like to do
Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness then return to Southend Central. Then walk to Southend Victoria and get the train back to Liverpool Street

Is it possible to get a return ticket that'll cover this?
To get dual validity on both routes towards Southend, you can obtain either:
  • a Zones 1-6 Travelcard + Boundary Zone 6 extension (from a ticket office); or
  • a ticket from somewhere beyond London Terminals, such as Finsbury Park or West Hampstead Stns to Southend Stations (but see post below by @island regarding onward travel to Shoeburyness)
For example here are the Off Peak Day Return (CDR) fares from West Hampstead Stns and Finsbury Park:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=FPK&dest=0411&ldn=1&tkt=CDR
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=WHP&dest=0411&grpo=0265&ldn=1&tkt=CDR

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
A ticket from Southend to Shoeburyness would need to be added to that as well.

kieron

Established Member
Another option would be:

1. Stratford-Shoeburyness "any permitted" return (£19.60 anytime, £17.70 after 9:29am, £15.50 when D4 is valid).
2. London-Stratford (£4.90 anytime single)
3. Barking-London (£5.90 anytime single)

GA are happy to sell the first ticket with a walk either through Southend or through Forest Gate.

If you're happy to change trains, Oyster is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.