• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeder4

Ironically, I think the prevalence of hand sanitisers has actually led to people washing their hands less. All the sanitisers do is kill viruses, they don't actually get dirt and grime off your hands like soap would do. Yet people sometimes seem to use them in place of soap now. They'll go to the loo and just use sanitiser afterwards, rather than actually washing their hands. There's just no substitute for good old soap and water. Given a choice between eating a meal with hands that might have been in contact with a virus, or eating a meal with hands that might be covered with dirt, I'd take my chance with using the virus hands over the dirt hands any day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
I am a firm believer in that you can be "too clean" - you need to keep your body used to various pathogens so it knows how to deal with them, especially with children and their developing immune systems.

Obviously I was my hands after peeing, before I prepare food, etc, but I certainly don't sanitise every time I see a dispenser.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I am a firm believer in that you can be "too clean" - you need to keep your body used to various pathogens so it knows how to deal with them, especially with children and their developing immune systems.

Obviously I was my hands after peeing, before I prepare food, etc, but I certainly don't sanitise every time I see a dispenser.
Agree 100%

MikeWM

Established Member
There also appears to be fairly good evidence that overuse of 'hand sanitiser' - particularly certain types and/or not using it correctly - is a potential driver of antimicrobial resistance, which concerns me a great deal more than Covid ever did.

Eyersey468

Established Member
There also appears to be fairly good evidence that overuse of 'hand sanitiser' - particularly certain types and/or not using it correctly - is a driver of antimicrobial resistance, which concerns me a great deal more than Covid ever did.
It concerns me too

trainophile

Established Member
There also appears to be fairly good evidence that overuse of 'hand sanitiser' - particularly certain types and/or not using it correctly - is a potential driver of antimicrobial resistance, which concerns me a great deal more than Covid ever did.
Any links (non-paywalled) to that?

MikeWM

Established Member
Any links (non-paywalled) to that?

Here's a few. Disclaimer that I've not 'purity-checked' the sources of these links (though the first one is NPR, which counts as mainstream media I expect). They seem to be more 'could happen' than 'will happen', but it would be pretty tough to prove 'will happen' I expect.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...f-hand-sanitizers-study-finds?t=1656334582151
https://microbiologysociety.org/blo...ndemic-impacted-antimicrobial-resistance.html
https://phys.org/news/2020-04-heavy-sanitizer-boosts-antimicrobial-resistance.html

On another note mentioned above, there's also this article

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168661/

which implies that they are often used *instead* of proper hand-washing, which is not a good thing.

trainophile

Established Member
Here's a few. Disclaimer that I've not 'purity-checked' the sources of these links (though the first one is NPR, which counts as mainstream media I expect). They seem to be more 'could happen' than 'will happen', but it would be pretty tough to prove 'will happen' I expect.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...f-hand-sanitizers-study-finds?t=1656334582151
https://microbiologysociety.org/blo...ndemic-impacted-antimicrobial-resistance.html
https://phys.org/news/2020-04-heavy-sanitizer-boosts-antimicrobial-resistance.html

On another note mentioned above, there's also this article

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168661/

which implies that they are often used *instead* of proper hand-washing, which is not a good thing.
Thank you. That's real eye-opener. It doesn't seem to have been very well publicised, first I've heard of it.

DelW

Established Member
Within the last couple of weeks, my local Homebase shop has removed all the plastic screens from around the tills, and removed the barriers that made everybody approach the tills from one direction.
The latter was actually quite useful at busy times, since a single queue fed all the open checkouts, and you didn't have to try to predict which was the one to avoid because a barcode would be missing, or someone's phone payment wouldn't work, etc.

trebor79

Established Member
My doctors surgery still insisting on masks and a big spiel on their website about it and needing to "protect" everyone. But nobody said a word when I went in bare faced to get a prescription. Will see what happens when I go for a consultation (assuming I can get an appointment).

Snow1964

Established Member
My local Co-Op still has the extra Perspex panels at the tills, and still has an open box of free disposable masks next to the sanitizer at the entrance.

Out of curiosity I watched about 15 people come in, not one used the sanitizer or took a mask from the box, so both just seem to be unused relic.

DelayRepay

Established Member
My local Co-Op still has the extra Perspex panels at the tills, and still has an open box of free disposable masks next to the sanitizer at the entrance.

Out of curiosity I watched about 15 people come in, not one used the sanitizer or took a mask from the box, so both just seem to be unused relic.
On a similar note, the supermarkets all have trolley cleaning stations but very few people bother to use them these days. Back in the early days, there would be a queue of people waiting to disinfect their trolley.

stuartl

On a similar note, the supermarkets all have trolley cleaning stations but very few people bother to use them these days. Back in the early days, there would be a queue of people waiting to disinfect their trolley.
Sheffield hospitals have reintroduced the requirement to wear a mask from today, due to the 'increase in covid cases'

MikeWM

Established Member
Sheffield hospitals have reintroduced the requirement to wear a mask from today, due to the 'increase in covid cases'

As I've said a few times on here already, how could you now have confidence in the medical care you're receiving from them, given they apparently think masks are somehow helpful?

Either they can't understand science, or they're not bothering to try to do so, or they're going along with 'something must be done' while knowing it is pointless. None of those three options are reassuring when these people have your life in their hands...

trebor79

Established Member
I've been in London today. Seems TfL have finally given up on "You are strongly advised to wear a face covering blah blah". Just a couple of discrete electronic posters suggesting "You can wear a face covering if you wish, if it allows to travel with confidence".
A lot of the covid stuff seems to have been replaced with equally tiresome adverts abiur staring and groping being offences. I suppose Khan jis addicted to lecturing the public.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I've been in London today. Seems TfL have finally given up on "You are strongly advised to wear a face covering blah blah". Just a couple of discrete electronic posters suggesting "You can wear a face covering if you wish, if it allows to travel with confidence".
A lot of the covid stuff seems to have been replaced with equally tiresome adverts abiur staring and groping being offences. I suppose Khan jis addicted to lecturing the public.
Try London Overground TfL it’s still a covid hell on their services

trainophile

Established Member
Good grief, just boarded the Aberdeen LNER in Edinburgh and my old mate (not) Dave* is STILL harping on about wearing a face covering unless exempt!

*Missed the start of his intro but pretty sure it was him as he followed on with all the other usual stuff, well in excess of what’s necessary.

Only going to Kirkcaldy thank goodness, will be sure to come back on a Scotrail!

Cdd89

Established Member
a couple of discrete electronic posters suggesting "You can wear a face covering if you wish, if it allows to travel with confidence".
I’ve heard announce phrased as follows: “Please continue to wear a face covering on all TfL services and stations, if it helps you feel safe while travelling”.

Sounds remarkably like a strong recommendation until you hear the last sentence, and I suspect may cause confusion to some visitors.

Class 33

Established Member
I've just been at Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton stations, and off went those blinkin "Thank you for wearing a face covering, if you can. As a courtesy to others." PA announcements!!! Don't say GWR are bringing back this nonsense again!!!!

duncanp

Established Member
I've just been at Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton stations, and off went those blinkin "Thank you for wearing a face covering, if you can. As a courtesy to others." PA announcements!!! Don't say GWR are bringing back this nonsense again!!!!

But how many people are paying the slightest bit of attention to those announcements?

davetheguard

Established Member

From personal experience recently, they seem to have disappeared from trains now, but they can still be heard -albeit very rarely- at some stations.

I think you were pretty unlucky to hear them twice in one day; but I share your feelings about them!

greyman42

Established Member
There is an article on the front of the York Evening Press that says that for anyone attending/visiting York hospital, masks are mandatory unless you can prove you have an exemption. Does anyone know how you can prove you have an exemption?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is an article on the front of the York Evening Press that says that for anyone attending/visiting York hospital, masks are mandatory unless you can prove you have an exemption. Does anyone know how you can prove you have an exemption?
Given that this a matter of their policy, rather than the law, you'd have to ask them what they consider to be an exemption.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Nobody is listening to them and, providing it’s not forced, I don’t mind the odd rogue announcement here or there.

Tom B

Established Member
As I've said a few times on here already, how could you now have confidence in the medical care you're receiving from them, given they apparently think masks are somehow helpful?

Either they can't understand science, or they're not bothering to try to do so, or they're going along with 'something must be done' while knowing it is pointless. None of those three options are reassuring when these people have your life in their hands...
I would trust the understanding of science by a hospital over this forum - although I am aware that by saying anything other than 'masks don't work' I will fall out of favour here.

Those adverts about groping being an offence really shouldn't be there. We shouldn't need to be telling people this, but unfortunately a reflection of society that it needs to be said.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would trust the understanding of science by a hospital over this forum - although I am aware that by saying anything other than 'masks don't work' I will fall out of favour here.
"This forum" is merely a media source; what matters is the message, not the medium.

Someone who makes up "rules" (which are not even enforceable) in hospitals is not necessarily an expert in everything.

If you disagree with something posted on the forum, by all means quote it, and state why you disagree, what your view is and present any evidence that you think backs up your case.

Those adverts about groping being an offence really shouldn't be there. We shouldn't need to be telling people this, but unfortunately a reflection of society that it needs to be said.
We've had this debate twice before; no-one is going to change their minds on the topic so there is no point discussing it in any more threads.

There is no legal requirement and no-one can be refused treatment; the best thing for everyone to do is say "I am exempt" and I do not think anyone is going be asked to prove it. If asked to prove it, I'd say there is no such requirement and if they think there is, can they put it in writing as I will be consulting a solicitor.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Anyone just not believing what they are told…..

I would rather have a mind of my own thanks.

How does a believer square off the fact the very same medical experts said before they didn’t work? Selective believing sounds even more crazy eh

Butts

Veteran Member
What happened to all the people who almost religiously supported the continuation of mask wearing in every survey before they were dropped ?

Either they have not been out judging by the absence of masks. or they were virtue signalling hypocrites ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Pro-maskers are a small minority of the population; they are just very loud and shouty and so come across as being in much greater numbers than they actually are.

Also the pro-mask movement is obsessed with saying that masks are ineffective at protecting the wearer in order to justify a mandate forcing other people to wear masks.

What they ought to be doing instead is being open, honest and transparent about the effectiveness of tight fitting FFP2/3 masks, which offer excellent protection to the wearer (providing they are properly worn, handled, stored and replaced regularly) and therefore anyone who doesn't accept that vaccines are our path to normality can choose to wear one if they wish.

The pro-mask movement has always been about "YOU need to wear a mask to protect ME" which is utterly absurd, but these people are so deluded that they cannot actually see how flawed their argument is.

bramling

Veteran Member

I’m not sure I would trust the health industry at the moment, not least the NHS.

The NHS needs to explain why we are seeing a sustained spike in excess deaths, and what they’re doing to attempt to address that. All we hear is a conspicuous silence, and that’s not good enough.

It doesn’t take too much insight to offer a guess as to why this might be happening, given how the NHS has essentially pulled up the drawbridge on people trying to access its services. I’m constantly hearing people in my work and social life telling of experiences where they try and see the GP and either can’t, or get fobbed off. How many of these outwardly minor issues will turn out to be a missed diagnosis of something more serious?

If spread in hospitals is considered to now be a significant issue for which mitigation is required then there will need to be a solution rather more effective than cloth face coverings. Again, a conspicuous silence as to how the NHS considers infection control in hospitals will be managed going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.