• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short formation loco haulage 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Unlocked for Mister @Iskra to provide an update. :)
Thank you!

- - -

Just a quick update on Trenitalia Diesel Loco Hauled IC Services on the Ionian Coast Line between Reggio Calabria and Taranto.

This year Trenitalia appear to have sourced additional D445 Locomotives transferred from Padova for the route (thanks to @D6130 for providing this nugget of information). This means that the 2 daily IC services in each direction are now all operated by D445 locomotives consistently, whereas last year this was not the case and some trains ran with any other available DMU’s instead as substitutes, which was not always ideal on such a lengthy journey.

Additionally, since the back half of last year all the IC loco-hauled trains now consistently operated with 3 carriages, rather than the previous 2. These are all 2nd class IC carriages but they are air-conditioned and most seating is around bays of 4 with power points and good-window alignment. Fares are typically very cheap on the route.

Furthermore, the first D445 locomotive has been painted into IC livery which looks very smart and now matches the rolling stock, hopefully more follow :)

F2D2F9CD-7DAE-400F-885A-53D8816D3FEA.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you!

- - -

Just a quick update on Trenitalia Diesel Loco Hauled IC Services on the Ionian Coast Line between Reggio Calabria and Taranto.

This year Trenitalia appear to have sourced additional D445 Locomotives transferred from Padova for the route (thanks to @D6130 for providing this nugget of information). This means that the 2 daily IC services in each direction are now all operated by D445 locomotives consistently, whereas last year this was not the case and some trains ran with any other available DMU’s instead as substitutes, which was not always ideal on such a lengthy journey.

Additionally, since the back half of last year all the IC loco-hauled trains now consistently operated with 3 carriages, rather than the previous 2. These are all 2nd class IC carriages but they are air-conditioned and most seating is around bays of 4 with power points and good-window alignment. Fares are typically very cheap on the route.

Furthermore, the first D445 locomotive has been painted into IC livery which looks very smart and now matches the rolling stock, hopefully more follow :)

View attachment 116182

That just looks great. I love the matching loco and coaches, like stepping back to the 1990s somehow.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thank you!

- - -

View attachment 116182
That really looks smart, may try and sample it in November when down that way. Tha KS for the detailed update.

Established Member
That really looks smart, may try and sample it in November when down that way. Tha KS for the detailed update.
They are possibly the most boring diesels in Europe, even beyond 2016s, and on coffins, good luck. Your context for 'detail' must be equally low to the interest given lack of any actual information...............

Richard Scott

Established Member
They are possibly the most boring diesels in Europe, even beyond 2016s, and on coffins, good luck. Your context for 'detail' must be equally low to the interest given lack of any actual information...............
They may not be loudest but more interesting than some. Think DB 245s, OSE 220s and ZSSK 757s would rank as the quietest, least interesting locos with OBB 2016s not far behind?
What locos are currently allocated to this route? Which two came from Padova?

Fragezeichnen

I travelled on it last week. It's true you can't really hear anything of the loco except in tunnels, but the run is quite scenic, mostly running along mile after mile of empty beachfront.

Cost was €15 for the 7 hour journey.

Be aware if travelling from the Taranto end that the food available from the station is limited to a newsagents and the nearest mini supermarket looks to be around 20 minutes walk.

D6130

Established Member
I think that's a rather unfair comment, given that @Iskra has taken the trouble to post some excellent photos and write up some comprehensive and enjoyable trip reports. Not everyone is obsessed with the intricate minutiae of the mechanical details and performance characteristics of different types of locomotives. At the end of the day, the poor guy is there for a relaxing holiday!
I am currently in Italy but, unfortunately, I have left my Platform 5 'Italian Locomotives and Multiple Units' book in England. I last travelled on the line in 2016-17 and was hauled on different occasions by D445 1086, 1100, 1140 and 1141....all of which were then allocated to RC depot. Recently refurbished 1056 - seen in all its glory in @Iskra 's excellent photos - may have been an ex-Padova loco - but, as always, I am open to correction. When in Italy, I always buy the current copy of 'I Treni' (Trains) magazine, which gives the latest reallocation and withdrawal information for locos and units....however, I suspect that the transfers may have taken place while I was in the UK. I was told about them by Italian rail staff contacts.
Be aware if travelling from the Taranto end that the food available from the station is limited to a newsagents and the nearest mini supermarket looks to be around 20 minutes walk.
What's happened to the wonderful, friendly and cheap family-run cafe/bar on platform 1 at Taranto? I hope it didn't succumb to the pandemic.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I am currently in Italy but, unfortunately, I have left my Platform 5 'Italian Locomotives and Multiple Units' book in England. I last travelled on the line in 2016-17 and was hauled on different occasions by D445 1086, 1100, 1140 and 1141....all of which were then allocated to RC depot. Recently refurbished 1056 - seen in all its glory in @Iskra 's excellent photos - may have been an ex-Padova loco - but, as always, I am open to correction. When in Italy, I always buy the current copy of 'I Treni' (Trains) magazine, which gives the latest reallocation and withdrawal information for locos and units....however, I suspect that the transfers may have taken place while I was in the UK. I was told about them by Italian rail staff contacts.
Thank you for info, hoping to go early next year. Was hoping to get tail end of Siena locos but quotes of those going this month meant an August visit was too risky.

Iskra

Established Member
My interest in railways is casual (and I find that healthy), so thus so is my reporting. I’m sure technical information is already out there somewhere and if people want more information they will look for it.

It’s a novel service in an obscure, less-travelled part of Italy, available at relatively low prices so I am merely bringing it to people’s attention and as grownups they can decide if they want to take action based on that information themselves. What I wouldn’t want though, is for people to travel a long distance to travel on them and end up with a non-air conditioned regional DMU as a substitute for 7 hours in the 30+ degree heat, so I hope my confirmation that all diagrams are actually covered by loco’s this year means that people can travel with confidence and have the journey they intended.

It is a valid point that they aren’t the loudest/most powerful etc, but there is still enough novelty about them to be a pull as it’s not unusual to see other enthusiasts on them. (Use the seat selector to sit behind the loco)

They may not be loudest but more interesting than some. Think DB 245s, OSE 220s and ZSSK 757s would rank as the quietest, least interesting locos with OBB 2016s not far behind?
Perhaps, a most boring European Loco thread? I’m glad you can see some interest in them!

I’ve had 1104, 1056, 1141 for haulage this holiday.

I travelled on it last week. It's true you can't really hear anything of the loco except in tunnels, but the run is quite scenic, mostly running along mile after mile of empty beachfront.

Cost was €15 for the 7 hour journey.

I agree they are best-sounding in tunnels. I was pondering the lack of running noise last week and contemplating whether it is the loco’s that are quiet or the route that doesn’t test them enough being quite flat, coastal and only load 3?

While the sea view is always alluring especially along the Straits of Messina, I do enjoy the inland mountain view too, especially in Calabria.

D6130

Established Member
I agree they are best-sounding in tunnels. I was pondering the lack of running noise last week and contemplating whether it is the loco’s that are quiet or the route that doesn’t test them enough being quite flat, coastal and only load 3?
I suspect that one of the main reasons for the lack of apparent engine noise is that the D445s have very loud cooling fans, which tend to overpower the engine sound....with the possible exception of the short uphill sections either side of the tunnel South of Crotone.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I suspect that one of the main reasons for the lack of apparent engine noise is that the D445s have very loud cooling fans, which tend to overpower the engine sound....with the possible exception of the short uphill sections either side of the tunnel South of Crotone.
They also have large exhaust silencers (noticed Polish SU46s with similar engines are also not the loudest but interesting enough) but I have enjoyed them over past few years. The attraction of Italian scenery and the food at the end of the day certainly add to the appeal!!
Looking forward to covering the route next year as one part of Italy I've not been to yet. Thanks for the updates.

D6130

Established Member
Thank you for info, hoping to go early next year. Was hoping to get tail end of Siena locos but quotes of those going this month meant an August visit was too risky.
I'm hoping to do a Firenze-Siena trip on Monday, so I'll let you know what I can find out.
My wife and I travelled from Firenze to Siena on Monday's train R 18215, 13 10 Firenze SMN-Siena behind D445 1068 - which was required for haulage - and the following three trains at least (we passed them on their inward journeys) were D445s. Looks like they're still going strong on that route and also on many of the Firenze-Borgo San Lorenzo via Pontassieve services....although there was a 'Minuetto' DMU on the Siena-Empoli shuttles.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
In Finland last week I was surprised to see that VR have some short sets of their wonderful double decker Intercity trains. This is IC471 on a rush-hour Tampere-Pori train last week, with an Sr2 electric locomotive leading three cars.

Attachments

• 4A6284F3-834D-4E65-A941-1E64BBBC5EA6.jpeg
    4A6284F3-834D-4E65-A941-1E64BBBC5EA6.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 20

Iskra

Established Member
My wife and I travelled from Firenze to Siena on Monday's train R 18215, 13 10 Firenze SMN-Siena behind D445 1068 - which was required for haulage - and the following three trains at least (we passed them on their inward journeys) were D445s. Looks like they're still going strong on that route and also on many of the Firenze-Borgo San Lorenzo via Pontassieve services....although there was a 'Minuetto' DMU on the Siena-Empoli shuttles.
That’s good to know, I may sample them up North on a future trip. What coach formations do they operate on regional services?

D6130

Established Member
What coach formations do they operate on regional services?
Usually five car push-pull sets of MDVC stock - so, strictly-speaking OT for this thread - including a driving trailer....but occasionally the odd MDVE carriage creeps in.

MDVC = Media Distanza Vestibolo Centrale (Medium Distance Centrale Vestibule - doors at one third and two thirds of carriage length for shorter distance trains).

MDVE = Media Distanza Vestibolo Extremita (Medium Distance End Vestibule - doors at either end of the carriage; usually used on longer distance regional express services such as Roma-Pescara, Roma-Ancona, Roma-Firenze and Milano-Torino).

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Maybe my change of plans was premature but the continuing requirement for FFP2 masks means not too fussed. Still hoping to cover Taranto runs next Easter.

Iskra

Established Member
Maybe my change of plans was premature but the continuing requirement for FFP2 masks means not too fussed. Still hoping to cover Taranto runs next Easter.
It may be a requirement, but my observations while travelling in Italy this month, show that the regulations are increasingly disregarded. Usage on flights and at airports was low. Trenitalia were a bit more strict, but I travelled with just a cloth mask (as I also did in October) and that was accepted. A small minority were not wearing masks, only wearing when challenged or wearing only when staff appeared.

I wouldn’t let the regulations deter you. They might not last much longer anyway.

For anyone interested, as of earlier this week the 445 loco fleet are still around on the Siena line, and also some of the Borgo San Lorenzo services.

The two weekdays I was there, the xx.10 from Firenze / xx.18 from Siena were fairly solid D445, though there were a couple of DMU vices and a couple of cancellations, presumably due to stock / loco shortages.

Also the 1255/1419/1455/1555/1655 Firenze - Borgo San Lorenzo were D445 loco-hauled too.

Finally, the 1352 Siena - Chiusi seems to be booked for loco-hauled with a D445 - it then stables at Chiusi. I believe (but didn’t personally see) that the return working is the 0602 the following morning.

D6130

Established Member
For anyone interested, as of earlier this week the 445 loco fleet are still around on the Siena line, and also some of the Borgo San Lorenzo services.
Which days were you there? We didn't see you on Monday or Tuesday. Kathy is sorry to have just missed you and it would have made a cracking 'Seeing other forum members unexpectedly' post! (See my post #74 above).

The 06 02 Chiusi-Siena and 13 52 Siena-Chiusi services have been loco-hauled push-pulls for many years and probably will be amongst the last to be so before the locos are withdrawn, as they are the school services and are heavily-used between Rapolano Therme, Asciano and Siena. However, they're nice and quiet during the holidays.

AFAIK, another D445 push-pull set covers a couple of return trips from Siena to Grosseto on weekdays, but I can't remember which ones off hand. Probably the school trips on that line too.

Ah, it’s a shame I just missed you both - it was Tuesday when I did the 1352 to Chiusi, and a few trips on the Siena line.

Wednesday I covered both the Siena & Borgo lines - I didn’t realise about Grosetto, so missed that. I doubt I’ll be back before they’re withdrawn, but at least I managed a couple of days covering them. 1068 was the most common one for me, I had four trips with it over the two days!

Hope Kathy is well, and see you at a meal soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.