• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should restrictions be eased fully if Indian Variant case rates do not decline before June 21st?

If case rates do not decline before June 21st, what do you think should happen with the roadmap?

• Go ahead with easing of all Covid restrictions on June 21st, assuming vaccinations are ramped up

Votes: 174 52.9%
  • Go ahead with stage 4 of easing restrictions on June 21st, but keep masks and WFH guidance

Votes: 29 8.8%
  • Ease some stage 4 restrictions on June 21st, but keep others for longer

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • Postpone stage 4 easing to a later date in the worst affected hotspots

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • Postpone stage 4 easing to a later date everywhere

Votes: 47 14.3%
  • Impose new localised restrictions in the worst affected hotspots

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Impose new national restrictions

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The former wasn't obligatory but the latter was (in theory!)
Just for one person in the group, now everyone is supposed to be scanned in. Most places I go don't even ask. One is very strict on it, but then they only have one code by the door which results in groups crowding around it...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
The former wasn't obligatory but the latter was (in theory!)

Not until mid-September it wasn't.

eg. https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/09/restaurants-uk-government-tightens-track-and-trace-rules/
Health secretary Matt Hancock said this morning {Sep 9th} that it would also become compulsory for pubs and restaurants to take customers’ details for the test and trace programme. Fines can be levied against venue owners who do not comply with the rules.

“We’re also going to enforce more strictly the rules around hospitality, including for instance you need to give your contact details when you go to hospitality, which has so far been voluntary,” he said.

Many places did insist on it before then but it wasn't a legal requirement.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Our underfunded, understaffed broken down hospitals can't cope with an extra, and pointless 50000 deaths, and say 200000 unpleasant hospitalisations rather than waiting a month to do their vaccines. Otherwise, Lockdown 5. We still will have to go through a similar horrible wave after vaccines are complete. We all knew vaccination would take longer than June 21.
Also, fix the NHS!
Looking forward to seeing the evidence to show us that the end of the world is nigh. Surely we have put up with this long enough that the doom merchants can just lock themselves in their house as they are too scared to go out and the rest of us should be allowed to get on with their lives.

I can see us getting later in the year - some of these people are nearly 6 months since they were vaccinated. We don't know how long the vaccine works for. Lets continue to make everyone suffer. We were told by the government the vaccine was the solution. We rushed to get the 10 priority groups vaccinated and the rest of us have suffered as a result. Now without any evidence we are made to suffer more, sure it is time to see if the vaccine actually works by letting us live again? Otherwise what is worse a life where you can't actually do anything or getting covid. Give me the later, as if it is the former, at least if the later kills me it won't be any worse then the former.

TheBeard

Not sure you realise 10million of the more vulnerable have only had half a vaccine.
Full hospitals for 12+more months leads to an even longer wait for your new heart valve or hip. Just look at Brazil still 2000 dying a day- a vaccine can really reduce that burden.
And no, to me Lockdown is not something I would ever agree with since we knew more about this, last May, due to the damage it causes.
Not sure of the alternative plans but am aware there could be other sensible ways around this, but you won't get any sense or publication about ALTERNATIVES to Lockdown. All Science not agreeing has been suppressed.But that is not Freedom, nor a free society.
Just saying, it is a lot of people to condemn, for a month of what is now reasonable life. But at the last furlong, how can we change the mantra from Lockdown to an alternative? You have no chance, without a regime change.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not sure you realise 10million of the more vulnerable have only had half a vaccine.
Full hospitals for 12+more months leads to an even longer wait for your new heart valve or hip. Just look at Brazil still 2000 dying a day- a vaccine can really reduce that burden.
And no, to me Lockdown is not something I would ever agree with since we knew more about this, last May, due to the damage it causes.
Not sure of the alternative plans but am aware there could be other sensible ways around this, but you won't get any sense or publication about ALTERNATIVES to Lockdown. All Science not agreeing has been suppressed.But that is not Freedom, nor a free society.
Just saying, it is a lot of people to condemn, for a month of what is now reasonable life. But at the last furlong, how can we change the mantra from Lockdown to an alternative? You have no chance, without a regime change.
Easy, the 10 million stay indoors and the rest of the population continue with their lives. (No idea where you get than number from the 10 priority groups were done ages ago hence why we are no doing under 30's) Why should 50 million keep suffering for them? If I had known that my vaccine would have made no difference to the quality of life in the UK - I would have rather they sent it to Brazil were it may improve someone's quality of life. Instead I have had money wasted on vaccinating me - for absolutely nothing.

Darandio

Established Member

Are you going to post any evidence or just keep shouting big numbers?

I'm baffled by this comment though. There were 27 million people in phase 1-9 and not all of these were 'more vulnerable' because 4.3m of them were simply offered the vaccine at that point because they were aged 50-60. We've likely passed 30 million second doses today, so who are these 10 million people still awaiting a second dose?

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
Easy, the 10 million stay indoors if they wish to do so and the rest of the population continue with their lives. Why should 50 million keep suffering for them?

I've added a bit there, as I'm pretty sure most 70+ also are fed up of being told what to do and want to get on with thier lives as well. Certainly my parents are in this category.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I've added a bit there, as I'm pretty sure most 70+ also are fed up of being told what to do and want to get on with thier lives as well. Certainly my parents are in this category.
My dad is one of those grumpy old men in his 80 that has refused the vaccination. His view if it kills him now he has had a good life but is heart condition will probably get him first so you parents are not the only ones.

MikeWM

Established Member
I can see us getting later in the year - some of these people are nearly 6 months since they were vaccinated. We don't know how long the vaccine works for. Lets continue to make everyone suffer. We were told by the government the vaccine was the solution. We rushed to get the 10 priority groups vaccinated and the rest of us have suffered as a result. Now without any evidence we are made to suffer more, sure it is time to see if the vaccine actually works by letting us live again? Otherwise what is worse a life where you can't actually do anything or getting covid. Give me the later, as if it is the former, at least if the later kills me it won't be any worse then the former.

Unfortunately we've given unprecedented power to people who believe quantity of life is more important than quality of life. They've been fussing around at the edges for years, telling us what to eat, what to drink, when to exercise, how much to exercise, what to do, what not to do, and being general nuisances. Now we're letting them directly control our lives.

This is in many ways the natural culmination of a very unfortunate trend that has been going on for years.

Personally, I'd rather have a good life and live to 70 than a miserable one and live to 90 (and probably spend the last few years of that utterly miserable with dementia in a nursing home). I'd expect most people to agree, if they thought about it like that.

kristiang85

Established Member
Personally, I'd rather have a good life and live to 70 than a miserable one and live to 90 (and probably spend the last few years of that utterly miserable with dementia in a nursing home). I'd expect most people to agree, if they thought about it like that.

100% agreed.

And, to be honest, that's better for the State given how much pension would be saved... (brutal I know, but I certainly don't want to be sat trapped in a nursing home for 10 years draining the country of money).

greyman42

Established Member
I wonder if anyone can explain the reasons why North-West England seems much worse statistically than other areas in the map.
Is it an area that has a larger than average amount of multi-generational overcrowded households that regularly visit the sub-continent?

35B

Established Member
Easy, the 10 million stay indoors and the rest of the population continue with their lives. (No idea where you get than number from the 10 priority groups were done ages ago hence why we are no doing under 30's) Why should 50 million keep suffering for them? If I had known that my vaccine would have made no difference to the quality of life in the UK - I would have rather they sent it to Brazil were it may improve someone's quality of life. Instead I have had money wasted on vaccinating me - for absolutely nothing.
A policy that sounds like a great soundbite, but is actually really impractical when you start looking at the chains of relationships.

nlogax

Established Member
Sounds to me like Whitty et al have finally figured out that living with this thing is unavoidable once this four week period is up. That's the only positive I can take from this.

Though let's see what July 19th actually brings.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes seemed to hint that from July 19th all restrictions will be lifted including social distancing.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Would you care to cite evidence of these half vaccinated vulnerable, or are you simply making numbers up? Asking for a friend. Oh and an entire population...

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Sounds to me like Whitty et al have finally figured out that living with this thing is unavoidable once this four week period is up. That's the only positive I can take from this.

I don’t trust them.

What’s four weeks going to do exactly? We can live with Covid now, they’re only delaying the inevitable

initiation

Yes seemed to hint that from July 19th all restrictions will be lifted including social distancing.
I will not be holding my breath. I will not belive they are going to do this until it actually happens.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I’m at the point where I sincerely hope businesses will ignore the rules from now on, I personally am no longer wearing the mask and I’m going to mix indoors with more than six people, 4 weeks doesn’t make a difference

big_rig

This thing is running out of puff, in my opinion. The doom-mongers in tonight's conference weren't putting up much of a show of it, I thought, compared to previous instances. The Indian variant is weak as piss against the vaccines, as the slides showed. Same story as all the other variants. Unless they can rustle up a new one in the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised if the option was taken to go with step 4 prior to the 21st July or whatever the new date is.

Class 33

Established Member
I will not be holding my breath. I will not belive they are going to do this until it actually happens.

Yes, all restrictions(including in particular this social distancing nonsense) ending on 19th July. I'll only believe when I see it. Wouldn't be atall surprised if they find some reason before then to cancel it and impose another 4 week delay. And the next Freedom Day would become 16th August, and then maybe 13th September.....

Domh245

Established Member

It'd certainly be promising if 19/7 was complete removal of restrictions, as I'd been expecting a half-hearted sop on the 21st with 'full freedom' in early 2022.

The only downside is that previously I've thought "ah, at last it sounds like they've admitted they need to live with covid" about 3 times before now..

asw22

I seem to recall being told that to allow schools to reopen that certain parts of society would remain closed.
Now that the schools and universities are likely to have all finished for 6 weeks holiday from around 19 July, this should allow the other parts of society to reopen - I doubt whether this might happen now though I may be surprised

What is worse is that I expect to hear around late August / early September that certain parts of the economy have to close in order to balance the risk budget of schools reopening.

Followed by a circuit breaker in the autumn and another lockdown towards the end of the year because of a new variant or vaccines failing or some other issue.

Remember: 12 weeks to bend the curve, world beating test and trace, eat out to help out, tiered restrictions, circuit breaker, Kent variant, lockdown, roadmap to recovery and so on into the new annual cycle

MattRat

On Moderation
Well, now we have our answer. At least a month before more easing. Although, I get the feeling they could just keep extending ad nauseum if they wanted to.....

Failed Unit

Established Member
A policy that sounds like a great soundbite, but is actually really impractical when you start looking at the chains of relationships.
If of course the 10k is actually a real number. ;). But they can control who come into their house. Force them to wear mask / biohazard suit. If they are that concerned that is how it should work rather then expect the world to adapt to their paranoia.

35B

Established Member
If of course the 10k is actually a real number. ;). But they can control who come into their house. Force them to wear mask / biohazard suit. If they are that concerned that is how it should work rather then expect the world to adapt to their paranoia.
That was toxic nonsense before, and is now.

It is also the case that cases have fallen to a level where the extreme shielding in force before is no longer proportionate.

kristiang85

Established Member

It is also the case that cases have fallen to a level where the extreme shielding in force before is no longer proportionate.

Therefore the rest of the restrictions are no longer proportionate.

Failed Unit

Established Member

Deliberately in this case. We are told that the people that had health concerns were vaccinated back in Easter. (1st shot). Then they told us they would slow down the 1st shots to get the 2nd done. The whole point of doing this was to open up by next week so people could go back to work / enjoying life. Even I have had both, no reason to, didn’t rush and that was over 2 weeks ago. They lied.

so how we have 10k of vulnerable people is beyond me.

I do meet people that don’t think the lockdown should be lifted until everyone is vaccinated. I do tell them no-one is forcing them to go out and mix with people. They are the same people that complain social distancing isn’t happening on train x or beach y - but still going themselves. This kind of person needs to either get on with life or lock themselves away rather than make everyone else suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.