• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should travel abroad be restricted to vaccinated people only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
Quite.

Of course until recently we did have 'freedom of movement' to a large number of European Countries but that right was taken away from me by a number of bigots still thinking the UK had an Empire!
Even if we had not left the EU, we would still not have been allowed to travel to Mainland Europe, until each Country decided to open their borders to all once more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Have youi got evidence that most of the population is flouting regulations ?

More importantly, what do you believe a legal block on international travel is "more effective" at achieving and, if it is more effective at achieving a worthwhile outcome, why do you think the block won't last long ?
There's a steady flow of traffic past my house seven days a week. They can't all be going to work or the supermarket. There aren't enough Police to stop people doing whatever they want. By comparison, it's very easy to stop people going abroad.

sheff1

Established Member
Have a look at traffic on the roads after the evening rush hour has finished, it is significantly higher than during the first lockdown. Were do you think these people are going? They are seeing family, friends and partners. How many people in Greater Manchester do you think do you think have actually not been indoors with a partner they are not in a bubble with? Its been illegal since the first lockdown apart from 3 weeks in July.

I don't think "exit permits" have a worthwhile outcome once stay at home ends. Its politically incendiary to try to stop people traveling abroad longer than absolutely necessary. Free travel is a right in a free society. Its a qualified right so it can be limited but only by absolute minimum amount and for the absolute minimum amount of time necessary. I suspect the main motivation for maintaining until 17th May the ban is not about public health but because of the anger it would cause if elderly Brits travel abroad while working age Brits are stuck with restrictions. I just can't see it being politically tenable. The public health risks of foreign travel can be minimised by at home quarantining. Variants will enter the UK even with a foreign travel ban.
So no evidence then, just guessing. I have no idea how many people in GM have been indoors with a partner since lockdown 1.0 and I'm pretty confident you don't either.
.... and you are clearly unable/unwilling to say what worthwhile outcome the legal block on international travel is "more effective" at achieving. Fair enough :frown:

Chester1

Established Member
So no evidence then, just guessing. I have no idea how many people in GM have been indoors with a partner since lockdown 1.0 and I'm pretty confident you don't either.
.... and you are clearly unable/unwilling to say what worthwhile outcome the legal block on international travel is "more effective" at achieving. Fair enough :frown:

Are you seriously suggesting that a significant number of people have abstained from sex for a year because of covid laws against being indoors with someone outside of their household / bubble?

Yes there are not stats on it, especially down to the locality of Greater Manchester. I find it astounding that anyone even thinks plausible that the laws have not been broken on a huge scale especially in an area were they have applied for all but 3 weeks in July. No one is angry about the law because no one apart from people terrified of the virus has abstained for a year because the Government has made it illegal for them to go into each others homes.

dan5324

On Moderation
I don’t really think travel companies etc are in any position to limit the revenue potential by restricting vaccinated customers only. When the true reality kicks in I see it being dropped quietly. And when those that do travel realise they’ll be paying more to make up the shortfall of lost custom, I can see the idea going down like a bucket of sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.