• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should we go back into lockdown at this point?

Is it time for a second national lockdown?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

The main line I always get in my emails from them is something along the lines of 'Our utmost priority is to keep everyone safe and protect the lives of everyone in Scotland', so no doubt it would continue, much to my dismay.

They do seem to have departed from reality - it's impossible to "keep everyone safe".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Our preparation for school placement class at university this morning told us that they've heard a total social lockdown (ie no going out apart from work, exercise and shopping) is being very seriously considered by the Scottish Government until either Christmas or a vaccine in order to keep schools open. This would involve moving universities to online until Christmas (and if things don't fall, a vaccine), closing all hospitality and non-essential shops and re-imposing a 5-mile travel ban.

Really hope this doesn't happen, as the damage this would cause would be massive compared to letting the virus spread.

Too much reliance on a vaccine but well done if she shuts up shop though pass the buck to Westminster as usual, politicians (most) have no real clue about real life but it’s ok for them to us.

Just to add I wonder if any of the so called conspiracy theories maybe true (I’m always seeing agenda21 and event201 never read up on them but..), they do also forget people do speak their minds but we don’t get reassurance from any government.

Such a thing as getting on in life but it’s fast becoming we are all in a prison.

They are placing a lot fo reliance on a vaccine which works effectively? What happens if there isn't one (or it's of limited effectiveness)? Or if it takes so long that the economy is trashed by then?

That’s the problem right there, did they panic this much over colds or flus, I doubt she does care about the economy anyway it’s Westminster’s fault anyway! I think people are realising more as this goes on.

Last edited:

philosopher

Established Member
Our preparation for school placement class at university this morning told us that they've heard a total social lockdown (ie no going out apart from work, exercise and shopping) is being very seriously considered by the Scottish Government until either Christmas or a vaccine in order to keep schools open. This would involve moving universities to online until Christmas (and if things don't fall, a vaccine), closing all hospitality and non-essential shops and re-imposing a 5-mile travel ban.

Really hope this doesn't happen, as the damage this would cause would be massive compared to letting the virus spread.

Such a rule I suspect will just be ignored to the point it becomes meaningless. The odds of getting caught are very small so people will risk it and meet up, possibily using loopholes such as visiting for childcare. They will conclude maintaining mental health necessitates meeting their family and friends.

Do you have a source for this information or is it simply speculation?

rumoto

Do you have a source for this information or is it simply speculation?

This is the last information the press says about it:

Circuit breaker lockdown may be 'part of an answer' in covid fight says Jason Leitch

A short term “circuit breaker” lockdown may be “part of an answer” in the fight against coronavirus, according to Scotland’s national clinical director. Jason Leitch said it was a “very difficult balance” to decide whether the controversial measure, which involves locking down the country on a temporary basis, would be the right move.

Deputy First Minister John Swinney also said the option is being “explored”.

Speaking to MSPs at a Holyrood committee, Swinney did not endorse a circuit breaker strategy, but nonetheless left it open as an option.

He said: “The question of some form of circuit breaker in October has been suggested by the advice that has emerged from SAGE [the scientific advisory group]. I wouldn’t say that that is a specific proposition. It is more the raising of the possibility that, if the pandemic continues to grow at an accelerating rate in the period going forward, there may be a necessity to take some form of what I would describe as interruptive action to try to slow further, and more aggressively the development of the pandemic. No decisions have been taken for that to be the case.”

Pushed on the issue by Labour MSP Monica Lennon, he said: “Monica Lennon is correct that the circuit breaker concept is being explored, simply because we have a suggestion that that may be an effective or necessary intervention from the thinking that comes out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.