• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should you keep records of journeys as evidence to prove Delay Repay claims/defend against accusations of fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I haven't sold anything. I get no money for it. It really is very easy for any organisation to get any information it wants. If you believe not having a mobile phone means you're flying under the radar I'm afraid you're badly mistaken.
My phone is set to only transfer data on WiFi, so there's no mobile data charge to me. Even I am capable of deleting unwanted photos.
I don't get what people are so scared of sharing anyway. Do you really think there are people who's job is to sit looking at people's photos for no real reason? If you've done nothing wrong, they really are not going to waste time and money looking at your photos. Anyone who wants to hide everything is always immediately more suspicious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
Having read all posts on here, and on other relevant threads my thoughts are that it is a good idea to keep details if using a season ticket but not needed on other journey patterns, unless you find yourself making an exceptional number of clams.

crablab

I have not read through all the posts here, so apologies if someone has suggested this already.

If you have an Android phone, you will find by default Google Maps keeps a record of your history. You can find it here: https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

It will even add in photos etc. you've taken along the way to the timeline!

Creepy, maybe, but also perhaps useful if one ever needs to prove they were or were not on a certain train at a certain time.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I have not read through all the posts here, so apologies if someone has suggested this already.

If you have an Android phone, you will find by default Google Maps keeps a record of your history. You can find it here: https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

Creepy, maybe, but also perhaps useful if one ever needs to prove they were or were not on a certain train at a certain time.

Sorry, but it doesn't work with everyone, even if they do have an Android phone, as I do.
I've just checked my own details right back to May this year and it has NO records of any of my movements.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Only if you have the relevant location settings on.

I have only applied for Delay Repay twice, both times for Northern when it was over an hour as you get the complimentary pass. The first one was on a normal priced ticket and that went through no hassle. The second one was on a 10p ticket and they initially rejected the claim, but then allowed it with not much argument. I wonder if they reject claims on effectively free tickets as a matter of course as a fair percentage of people will then not bother.
I also had to claim on a promotional ticket (10p) to Barrow. I now have a framed letter and travel voucher for 3p.

Another claim was for 1 hour plus delay from Bolton to Urmston via Manchester Oxford Road. Even though this journey was taken using my free Pensioners Pass I was given a complimentary travel pass. NB: The "Bus Pass" no longer gives free travel on Trams and Trains in Greater Manchester unless an annual £10 payment is made.

crablab

*sigh* not what I'm talking about (of course if you disable system location services then Google Maps won't work, and yes the default Android setup will have it on) but whatever.

infobleep

Veteran Member
*sigh* not what I'm talking about (of course if you disable system location services then Google Maps won't work, and yes the default Android setup will have it on) but whatever.
Not everyone is using the default Android system. Maybe there are some that have it off by default.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So it seems I have just got an interesting one that may be relevant - applied correctly for a 1 hour delay (50% return refund), have been paid for a 2 hour delay (100% return refund)...all very nice but I have half considered appealing to correct it but it will just confuse them and there is probably no mechanism to pay it back...what would others do? Keep proof of the correct application and donate the difference to charity perhaps?

Gloster

Established Member
So it seems I have just got an interesting one that may be relevant - applied correctly for a 1 hour delay (50% return refund), have been paid for a 2 hour delay (100% return refund)...all very nice but I have half considered appealing to correct it but it will just confuse them and there is probably no mechanism to pay it back...what would others do? Keep proof of the correct application and donate the difference to charity perhaps?
Keep it, but next time you have a borderline claim for about the same amount, don’t put in the claim. Treat it as an advance for your next delay. I know that is not the legal situation, but should you really put yourself to a lot of time and effort if it is their error?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The number of times they pay less than they should, I'd keep it without any qualms. Anyway, maybe they decided to do a goodwill customer service overpayment.

35B

Established Member
Have had similar with LNER recently. 50% due on each leg (both AP single so no complications about percentages), and got confirmation that outward leg refunded at 100%. DM’d via Twitter and asked for review, making clear happy to accept overpayment but on,y expecting entitlement.

100% arrived today.

For return leg, got message that claim already settled (auto DR may be involved) - am giving it a little time to come through before I chase.

Going back to OP, I have pdf copy of RTT logs for both trains so can revisit if required.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There will be no mechanism to pay it back. I'd be keeping the correct amount and donating the difference to a railway-themed charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.