• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Winwick and Roby. Class 88 trials. Tuesday 28th March 2017.

Nothing was planned, just thought I`d have a drive over to Winwick on the West Coast Main Line, to see what was around, but like most things in life being in the right place at the right time can go a long way, so my luck was in. As I arrived a pair of class 90`s went by southbound, followed by the Arriva class 67 on the Holyhead and my first sighting of one of the new Class 88`s 88002, Prometheus running light engine trials between Carlisle, Crewe and Liverpool.

I was fortunate in talking to one of the regulars Dave, told me that the 88 would be returning to Roby around 12.00 and was booked for an 11 minute stop, before continuing to Edge Hill, so I drove over to Roby and met Dave over there again and also bumped into Will who was also out chasing it. Nice to see a new loco on BR metals, the paint was still wet on this one, and I also had the added bonus of two class 66`s on Biomass, a morning well spent.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...75580529958.1073742710.100001125840218&type=3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've just finished reading your many reports. Good reads there, and I'm jealous about the 88 - I've yet to see one.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very nice work on getting an 88 for sight, something the majority have yet to do. I'm waiting for the SVR gala personally!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Winwick and Roby. Class 88 trials. Tuesday 28th March 2017.

Nothing was planned, just thought I`d have a drive over to Winwick on the West Coast Main Line, to see what was around, but like most things in life being in the right place at the right time can go a long way, so my luck was in. As I arrived a pair of class 90`s went by southbound, followed by the Arriva class 67 on the Holyhead and my first sighting of one of the new Class 88`s 88002, Prometheus running light engine trials between Carlisle, Crewe and Liverpool.

I was fortunate in talking to one of the regulars Dave, told me that the 88 would be returning to Roby around 12.00 and was booked for an 11 minute stop, before continuing to Edge Hill, so I drove over to Roby and met Dave over there again and also bumped into Will who was also out chasing it. Nice to see a new loco on BR metals, the paint was still wet on this one, and I also had the added bonus of two class 66`s on Biomass, a morning well spent.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...75580529958.1073742710.100001125840218&type=3

Did you attend bulleid gala @ Swanage?

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala and South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 1). Thursday 30th March 2017.

A week spent visiting the Swanage Railway`s Spring Steam Gala, three-day Bulleid Event and also travelling the my last four branch lines of Great Britain, Lymington Pier, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Seaford.

The Journey South.

Leaving Manchester Piccadilly on the 09.27 Cross Country Voyager, I travelled down country as far as Brockenhurst to traverse the Lymington Branch, which was being operated on a shuttle service by a two car South West 158 sprinter, first I travelled down to the Pier station and alighted as far as Lymington Town station on the return journey, before travelling back up the line to Brockenhurst and catching the next Cross Country Voyager to Bournemouth, ex Manchester Piccadilly 11.29. I met up with a friend John from Manchester, who was travelling down on this train and also visiting the Swanage gala for three days.

However, I left John in Bournemouth, he was fortunate to have secured accommodation in Swanage, and needed to catch the number 50 bus to take him across the water, (the bus service travels across on the Sandbanks Ferry to Swanage), but I hadn’t booked early enough, so was staying in Bournemouth in an hostel in the town centre, not a bad one though, Baggies Backpackers, I`d booked a 6 dorm room for £95 for 4 nights, and I had the place to myself for the first night, it was also just around the corner from the bus station and the shops, so well located for my needs.

After checking into the Hostel and having a quick shower, I was out on the town, and after an Italian in one of the local restaurants and a few beers on the seafront, I had a relatively early night with the alarm set for 05.30 the following morning and with the steam gala on the horizon, exciting stuff eh.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742711.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Kite159

Veteran Member
I know that Backpackers place as I managed to get a computer table from it for a couple quid :)

The bus trip across the ferry is very good

shredder1

Established Member
I know that Backpackers place as I managed to get a computer table from it for a couple quid :)

The bus trip across the ferry is very good

Yes its not a bad hostel, I begrudge paying hotel prices in the UK so nearly always opt for hostels, I found one in Brighton for £7.20 including breakfast and it was surprisingly very good, the Brighton Beach. I travelled back on the bus across the ferry each night, but in the mornings took the train to Wareham because the buses started too late really.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a lovely area Shred and the railway's pretty special with lots of short sharp banks to make the locos work hard. Looking forward to reading about it...

shredder1

Established Member
It's a lovely area Shred and the railway's pretty special with lots of short sharp banks to make the locos work hard. Looking forward to reading about it...

Thank you very much, yes it is indeed, an amazing line and it should be open through to Wareham shortly, many thanks for reading sir.

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala & South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 2). Friday 31st March 2017.

A week spent visiting the Swanage Railway`s Spring Steam Gala, three-day Bulleid Event and also travelling over the my last four branch lines of Great Britain, Lymington Pier, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Seaford.

Swanage Steam Gala First Day.

Operating locomotives, Oliver Bulleid`s, 34046 ‘Braunton’ (Appearing as 34052 ‘Lord Dowding’), 34053 ‘Sir Keith Park’, 34070 ‘Manston’, 34081 ’92 Squadron’, 34092 ‘City of Wells’, BR 4MT Standard Tank 80104 (running as 80146) was the station pilot at Swanage and veteran M7 tank engine number 30053 M7 on standby.
After a good night’s sleep in the Hostel, I caught a bus up to the Bournemouth railway station and took breakfast. A train to Poole and a number 40 bus to Swanage arriving just after 09.00, so not too bad, although it would have been better to have found accommodation in Swanage, I must remember to book earlier next time.

I was however there before the first train was due to depart from Swanage each day and had chance to see the locomotives being prepared on shed, so I didn’t do too badly, it was an amazing sight seeing all those Bulleid steaming up and but for the infestation of hi viz clothing, could have been a scene from the 1960`s. I purchased a 3 day rover ticket at £49 with an extra £1 for the timetable, an excellent collectable memory based on the original Southern Region workings. I caught the first train out of Swanage to the top of the line at Wareham, but passengers can`t alight here until later in the year when trains will operate from the main line station, the present limit is a mile short at the Network Rail boundary.

I returned to Norden and alighted there, spending some time photographing from the fields. I returned to the top of the line at Wareham, locos were topping and tailing from Norden with a loco change after each run. On returning to Norden for the second time I took the next train to Corfe Castle and after sometime around the station and its environs, I met up with John, and we later climbed the Castle hill for some first class views of the railway. The weather was glorious and I spend quite some time just sat up there photographing the trains below.

Returning to Corfe Castle station I next caught a train back up to Norden and then returned to Swanage to phot the double header leaving, the timetable only had one double-headed booked at the end of each day and it was the same for each day, a very tight and action packed schedule, but I needed to catch the last number 50 bus at 18.25 each night back to Bournemouth, which is routed across the Sandbanks Ferry, an interesting journey by itself which joins Poole with the Isle of Purbeck.

Returning to Bournemouth, I had tea in a Mexican restaurant, the usual few beers and a return to the Hostel, a great first day and the start of a fantastic gala.

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Purbeck

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...86996215483.1073742712.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala & South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 3). Saturday 1st April 2017.

A week spent visiting the Swanage Railway`s Spring Steam Gala, three-day Bulleid Event and also travelling over the my last four branch lines of Great Britain, Lymington Pier, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Seaford.

Swanage Steam Gala, the Second Day.

I was up early again at the Hostel and made my way to Bournemouth railway station to catch an early train to Poole, breakfast in Poole and the Breeze 40 serves bus to Swanage. I met John at the station, he was catching the first train up the line, but I wanted to visit the workshops, a 15 minute walk away and not connected by rail, it was worth the visit with Maunsell U Class 2-6-0, 31806, Bulleid 34072 257 Squadron and 34028 Eddystone in various stages of renovation.

Returning to Swanage station, I had a run up the line again to Wareham and returned as far as Norden and later Corfe Castle again, when I climbed the castle walls for a second day, although the weather wasn’t quite as sunny while I was up there, so I returned to Corfe Castle station and had another run to Wareham and returned to Norden and Corfe Castle, later going down the line to Harmans Cross and met up with John again.

At Norden the narrow gauge Purbeck Mineral railway and Mining Museum was operating.

I later returned to Swanage for a while before catching the 18.25 50 Breeze bus service back into Bournemouth. An Italian restaurant for tea with a few beers taken back to the hostel. Two students were in the community room with guitars, so it wasn’t long before I`d borrowed one from them and I was having a jam, a great day and an equally great night, I was slightly later in bed that night.

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

http://www.purbeckminingmuseum.org/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742713.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What was being played in the jam session then Shred? :)
Also, I haven't been on the Purbeck Mineral Railway although it's always interested me and I've had a look around their base etc (fascinating). What did they have running and how long is the running line now?
Did you say that you'd just covered your last four branch lines in the UK!?

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
What was being played in the jam session then Shred? :)
Also, I haven't been on the Purbeck Mineral Railway although it's always interested me and I've had a look around their base etc (fascinating). What did they have running and how long is the running line now?
Did you say that you'd just covered your last four branch lines in the UK!?

Thanks very much just acoustic guitars so a bit of Zep and some blues, lol They had one diesel loco running up and down pulling a few tipper trucks for a few hundred yards, I don`t think they are running too far at the moment, but they are hoping to apply for a light railway order to take passengers. Yes I managed all my GB branch lines, still a few Irish ones to do though.

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala & South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 4). Sunday 2nd April 2017.

Swanage Steam Gala, the Last Day.

The final day of the gala and being a Sunday in early April the bus service wasn’t good, the number 50 from Bournemouth was my first option, but that didn’t get me in Swanage until 10.45, which was much later than I wanted, the Breeze number 40 bus from Poole was even later, arriving into Swanage at 11.45. Even the trains to Wareham did start running until after 08.00, the first one arriving in Wareham by 09.05 and then a 4 mile hike to the railway at Norden or a taxi ride for £15. This was however my best option.

I walked up to Bournemouth railway station, no buses, and caught the 08.30 train to Wareham, no sign of a taxi at Wareham station, so I set off walking the 4 mile or so to Norden, sticking my thumb out in the hope that someone would stop for a poor soul hitch-hiking at this time on a Sunday morning, unbelievably it worked and a very nice lady actually stopped, within 5 minutes of me setting off walking, and dropped me off at Norden station, (it must be my big blue eyes), as luck has it, I arrived on the railway before the first train, at 09.30.

I was stood waiting for the first train to arrive, when I bumped into Facebook friend Ian Knight, it’s a small world. After taking a run to the top of the line, back to Wareham, my intention was to spend some time in the fields at Harmans Cross, the train I took however didn’t stop there, despite being advertised on the timetable, but the run down to Swanage was fine and I caught the next train back up to Harmans Cross, met up with John, and spent most of the day in the fields, which lend themselves to some excellent photographic opportunities. The weather was the warmest on the Sunday, although all three days had been really good, and I had a great afternoon catching the rays and photting the passing trains. I later returned to Swanage for the last of the shunting and the double-headed, catching the last bus back, the Breeze 50 at 18.25, to Bournemouth. A big well done to all involved on the Swanage Railway and thanks for a great event.

I decided on a Mexican again for tea, so visited the restaurant I`ve been too days before, but was told this time that they were booked up and I`d have to wait over two hours for a table, I couldn’t actually find anything else that I fancied and ended up in McDonald’s, certainly not my first choice of eating, but it got me by. I was however amazed to find Bouncers on the door at McDonald’s, presumably the kids start fighting if they`ve had one too many Happy Meals and McFlurry chasers, what is the world coming too. After a few beers in a local pub I retired to the Hostel for my last night, it had been a great gala at Swanage, but I still had a few days roaming the south coast to look forward too before I headed back North. Stay tuned for some more exciting adventures.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742715.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala & South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 5). Monday 3rd April 2017.

I left the Hostel in Bournemouth at 07.30 and took breakfast in the town before taking a bus up to Bournemouth railway station. I was making my way to Brighton, where I had booked another hotel for the night, but I wanted to visit a number of branch lines on the way over, so estimated it would take most of the day.
I boarded a Southwest train, which took me to Southampton Central, where I changed for a Southern train to travel along the coast route via Hamble to Cosham. I changed there for a train down to Portsmouth and Southsea and then walked to the high level platforms to catch a train to Portsmouth Harbour. The next train took me to Havant where I changed for a train to Barnham, and I then boarded a 313 to take me down the branch to Bognor Regis. Returning to Barnham for a service which took me down the branch line to Littlehampton.

I couldn’t believe my luck at Littlehampton when an engineering train with top and tail class 37`s followed me into the station, these were Colas liveried 37116 and BR Corporate blue liveried 37025 Inverness TMD, indeed they also followed me to Brighton, talk about being in the right places at the right time.

Returning from Littlehampton to Barnham, after a few cancelled Southern services, I eventually got to Hove to change for Brighton. Plenty to photograph at Brighton since it had been a few years that I was down there; the new Gatwick Expresses were operating alongside the new Class 7000 Thameslink units. The engineering Class 37`s creeped up on me after I`d spent an hour or so at Brighton station.

I caught a bus to the seafront and the hostel Brighton Beach for the night, at under a tenner with breakfast it was amazing, clean, friendly staff and with a bar down stairs, what more could you want, after a few beers, I slept well after a good day of travelling and achieving all I`d set out to do.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742716.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala and South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 6). Tuesday 4th April 2017.

I was up early at the Hostel in Brighton; the breakfast was alright for saying it was included in the price, £10 for the night, clean and friendly, I`d stay again. I set off up the hill to the railway station, it was a very wet morning though so I decided to take a bus. I was on my last branch line, Seaford, but first stayed on Brighton station for the early morning rush hour before boarding a train to Eastbourne, a branch I hadn’t visited since the 1970`s, it well worth the visit too with semaphores and a former Gatwick Express emu`s 442 419 parked up in the sidings. I returned to Lewis to catch a train down the branch to Seaford, haulage was a Southern class 313 and Seaford was my last BR branch line.

After a photo-session at Seaford, I travelled back up the line to Newhaven Harbour as I wanted to see if anything was left of the Marine station, I noticed from the train passing that the platform was still in situ, along with three sidings that Southern use for parking up stock in the rush hour, but I wanted a closer look.

Leaving the harbour station to the south you take a rail crossing and this puts you right in the dock proper, however on the wrong side of the security barrier. I could see a security bod in the cabin, so expected him to start shouting as I made my way to the place I wanted to be, to counteract any shouting I put my headphones on and right on que, security bod started shouting Oi, Oi, so having my headphones on, I ignored him and carried on walking until I reached the area I wanted to take a photograph from and I then started walking back towards the station, by this time, security bod had leaped out of his cabin and caught up with me, telling me that I couldn’t go where I had just been, I just said no problems and walked back to the station, I had what I wanted anyway.

Returning on the next train back up to the junction at Lewis, I next needed to take the line to Wivelsfield, to complete the track in the triangle from Brighton, from Wivelsfield, I returned directly in to Brighton on a Thameslink 7000 class. The next train I caught was a Southern service back along the coastal route to Southampton Central. I was back on Southwest trains for a run up to Eastleigh, were I stopped for an hour or so.

It was refreshing to see how busy Eastleigh still is these days, my first trips to Eastleigh go back to the early 1970`s when we would visit both the sheds and works, these days however locomotives are stabled in the yard and can be viewed from the station platforms, twelve locos were stabled up with a few more shunting in the yards and passing through on freight, these included class 66`s and 70`s with the addition of a 73, so well worth a stop-over.

I returned to London Waterloo by a Southwest service and took the underground across London to Kings Cross, before catching a Great Northern service up to Sandy to stay at my son`s for the night, it had been another good day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742718.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Swanage Railway, Spring Steam Gala and South Coast Branch Lines, (Day 7). Wednesday 5th April 2017.

Nice to catch up with number one son again, although I suspect he’s fed up with me using his house as a hotel, so I bought him a few beers to keep him sweet. It was a big breakfast at Chunky`s of Sandy and afterwards I was on the 09.15 from Sandy back down the Kings Cross. Because of the way I`d purchased my rail tickets I had to go back to London as I was routed back to Manchester via Euston, I made a full day of it though and the weather was lovely again.

After the obligatory photo-session at Kings Cross, I walked over to London Euston and caught an Overground service to Watford Junction, nice to see the re-liveried 319`s on the St Albans Abbey branch. I next took a London Midland 350 to Tring where it terminated, nice to see Southern trains operating into Milton Keynes also. From Tring I boarded another London Midland 350 to Bletchley and then another London Midlands 350 via Northampton to Rugby.

In the sidings at Rugby was Class 86 259 Les Ross on an engineering train with class 97 (37), 301 and parked in the station was 57311 Thunderbird, on Thunderbird services. Another London Midland 350 took me up to Stafford with a final change here for a Cross Country Voyager to Manchester Piccadilly. A fantastic 7 days away and I achieved all I set out to do, hope you`ve enjoyed my scribblings and many thanks for reading.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...00765734106.1073742719.100001125840218&type=3