• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Friday 12th April 2024.

A day roaming around Greater Manchester looking for freight. After an early session at the gym, I was heading for Manchester Victoria to catch the 10.28 to Pemberton. I am still trying to get a photograph of the Knowsley bin train operating on the line between Wigan Wallgate and Knowsley. After checking on Realtime Trains it was still showing as I alighted at Pemberton, the Binliner was due passed at 10.35, but at 10.20 it was cancelled, that’s the second time I’ve been down for it and failed, Ill keep trying though.

I returned to Wigan Wallgate and walked across the road to the Northwestern station, a few freight were showing on Realtime Trains, but many of them didn’t run, it fact only two DRS workings appear around 15.00, these were a Northbound class 68007 and southbound class 66422. The posts for the wires are going up south of Wigan Wallgate, these will be for the electrification of the Westhoughton-Bolton lines and Hindley- Salford Crescent route, so get your photographs while you can. I walked back over to Wigan Wallgate station in time to catch a Northern 769 back to Manchester Oxford Road and caught up with a southbound Freightliner class 66502. I later caught a train into Manchester Piccadilly and then the Metrolink tram back to my car.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Western Region Weekend. Saturday-Sunday 13th-14th April 2024.

Another great and innovated gala, courtesy of the East Lancashire Railway, with action throughout the weekend, and plenty of double-heading in various make-ups. It was nice to see both the Warship and Hymek double-headed with Pendennis Castle, from memory of the period though, it was usually the steam loco leading, a failed hydraulic.

Locomotives rostered were, former GWR 4079 “Pendennis Castle”, class 50 “Valiant”, class 14 D9531, Hymek D7076, Warship D832 “Onslaught” and Peak class 45108.

I visited the railway on both days, mainly trackside, on Saturday I covered mainly Ramsbottom, Irwell Vale, Ewood Bridge, Summerseat locations and Burrs Country Park and on the Sunday, Bury Bolton Street, Summerseat Viaduct, and Burrs Bank. Due to me not riding I bought a few new books and some paintings. A big well done to all involved on the East Lancs Railway for another amazing event.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Tuesday 16th April 2024.

I’m taking advantage of my time away from work and tapping into my free Manchester rail pass, (well its not actually free these days, we must pay £10 a year to use our bus pass on trams and trains).

I keep hitting the gym early most mornings and after a drive to the nearest Metrolink station, Crumpsall, I take the tram into Manchester. On this day I arrived into Manchester Victoria just after 09.30 boarding a Northern class 769 to Wigan Wallgate, via Bolton, while later a Northern Sprinter to Pemberton to try and catch up with the Knowsley-Wilton freight, but I got it wrong again, however, a lesson finally learned, as I did catch up with it later in the day. I next travelled to Hindley as the OHW poles are now starting to appear ready for the electrification of the Hindley to Bolton line, with lots of trees being removed along the line and platforms being extended. After taking photographs at both Hindley and Westhoughton, probably my last images prior to the wires going up.

I returned to Wigan Wallgate and walked across the road to Wigan North Western, southbound was DRS class 66422 with a stone train, Northbound was DRS class 68003 with the Tesco containers. Just after 14.15 the Wilton EFT-Knowsley FT binliner passed heading towards Wallgate station. Walking back over the road to Wigan Wallgate, I returned on a Northern Sprinter to Manchester Victoria and caught up with the Brindle Heath RTS to Dean Lane RTS Freightliner class 66504 to finish the day off nicely.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Wednesday 17th April 2024.

I was back on the platforms of Manchester Victoria, essentially for the Bulleid West Country Pacific 34046 “Braunton”, on the White Rose charter from Hereford to York, with Intercity liveried 47828 at the rear. A lovely looking loco and always nice to see a steam train in Victoria again. DRS class 66799 passed shortly afterwards with a stone train.

I caught a train out to Salford Crescent and later to Daisy Hill and then back to Atherton. From Atherton I caught a Blackburn -Headbolt Lane service directly to Rainford, where I finally caught up with the Wilton EFW-Knowsley FT binliner behind EWS liveried 66112. I decided I wanted to see where the line branched off to Knowsley FT, so caught the next train down to Headbolt Lane. An extension of the spare to Knowsley FT leaves the main line just north of Headbolt Lane, but the spare continues adjacent to the Headbolt Northern platform. The binliner must reverse and run round her train to access the site, with an overbridge over the entrance and main line, it would certainly be worth seeing the operation.

From Headbolt Lane I caught a direct Sprinter service back to Manchester Victoria, and then the tram back to the car and the drive home. I must admit I’m enjoying these mid-week mini trips out.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Thursday 18th April 2024.

Another short trip out in my local region. I was essentially chasing the Wilton EFT-Knowsley FT binliner again, I seem to have an unnatural attraction to binliners at the moment. I was on the platforms of Manchester Victoria for 10.00, after a heavy leg workout at the gym. It was however a very cold day, with frost on the car in the morning.

From Manchester Victoria I caught a train to Salford Central and waited for the Cemex stone train from Peak Forest, but it didn’t run. I then caught the Headbolt Lane train to Daisy Hill as I had been timing the Wilton EFW-Knowsley FT binliner, and she was right on time behind EWS liveried class 66112 again. I returned to Manchester Victoria via Wigan Wallgate and then travelled back up to Salford Crescent for the Brindle Heath RTS (Flhh) – Dean Lane RTS (Flhh) behind Freightliner class 66504, before returning to Manchester Victoria and then home.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Friday 19th April 2024.

I was chasing freight trains around Greater Manchester again, starting off at Manchester Victoria and on the platforms for 10.00. The Cemex stone train from Peak Forest didn’t run again, but the Wilton EFW-Knowsley FT binliner was showing as activated from Knowsley, so I caught the Headbolt Lane train as far as Pemberton, but it was again cancelled, however I later caught up with it.

I caught the same train back to Wigan Wallgate and treated myself to a footlong subway, a Mexican. At the side of Wigan Wallgate is the Uncle Joes Mint Ball Factory, so being in Wigan, I decided to buy some, as I’ve not had an Uncle Joes Mint Ball for years, I went in four different shops trying to find some, and no one was selling them, so much for this Wigan delicacy.

I then made my way over to Wigan North Western. Three southbound movements were showing on RTT, all around the 14.00 period. The first one down was Freightliner class 66607, followed shortly afterwards by DRS class 68006 on the Tesco, and within a short period afterwards came light engine, Brush Type 4, class 47830, D1645 in two-tone BR green livery.

I then walked back over the road to Wigan Wallgate and RTT was showing the Wilton EFW-Knowsley FT binliner heading south, so I caught a train to Hindley, and captured the Binliner there behind EWS liveried class 66112. From Hindley I boarded a Northern class 769 to Deansgate, returning on the same train to Salford Crescent and waited for the Brindle Heath RTS (Flhh) – Dean Lane RTS (Flhh) behind Freightliner class 66504.

I later took a train back to Manchester Victoria and then the tram back to the car, it had been a very productive day.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, recent museum exhibits. Saturday 20th April 2024.

After a week chasing freight trains around Great Manchester, On Saturday I decided to have a few hours at the East Lancs Railway to see the recent additions to Bury Transport Museum, loaned from the National Collection.

The unique Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, 0-4-0 “Wren” Horwich Works narrow gauge locomotive, built by Beyer Peacock in 1887. Stanier 3-cylinder 4MT 2-6-4T locomotive in LMS 4200 livery, (BR 42500). Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T, works number 1223, “Vesta”, The locomotive spent its entire working life at the Hawarden Bridge (later renamed Shotton) steelworks in North Wales.

I had my usual wonder around the various bookstalls, and although trying not to spend any money, I still managed to spend £160, on books, paintings and a Bachmann 00 gauge locomotive, LMS 10000 in BR green livery, an irresistible model, I really should stay away from those places.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I caught the same train back to Wigan Wallgate and treated myself to a footlong subway, a Mexican. At the side of Wigan Wallgate is the Uncle Joes Mint Ball Factory, so being in Wigan, I decided to buy some, as I’ve not had an Uncle Joes Mint Ball for years, I went in four different shops trying to find some, and no one was selling them, so much for this Wigan delicacy.
I'm pretty sure B&M sell them, but if not, the sweet shop just past Primark does. Both on Standishgate - just keep walking past the Subway. Talking of which, Hideout in the Arches (just under the WCML bridge and turn left, next door to Wigan Central) does great toasted sandwiches. The grilled cheese is my favourite.

shredder1

Established Member
I'm pretty sure B&M sell them, but if not, the sweet shop just past Primark does. Both on Standishgate - just keep walking past the Subway. Talking of which, Hideout in the Arches (just under the WCML bridge and turn left, next door to Wigan Central) does great toasted sandwiches. The grilled cheese is my favourite.
Oh OK thank you very much, Ill check them out.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Tuesday 23rd April 2024.

The weather looked a bit brighter, than it had been, so I was back down at Manchester Victoria chasing freight. The day started off with a 07.00 gym session followed by breakfast at Wetherspoons. I was in Manchester just before 11.30 and caught a Blackburn train to Bolton, with a change for a train to Hindley.

I wanted to check out the grade 2 listed, Deep Pit footbridge at Hindley as it is due to be lifted and moved to cater for the OH electrification to Bolton. The masts and swivel arms were up each side of Deep Pit footbridge. I also timed my visit for the Wilton EFW to Knowsley FT binliner, this week behind EWS liveried class 66121.

I later walked back around to Hindley railway station and caught the next Northern class 769 Oxford Road service, with a change at Bolton for a train to Salford Central for two freight workings, first was the Brindle Health RTS -Deans Lane RTS behind Freightliner class 66951, this was followed a few minutes later with the Cemex-Peak Forest working, behind GBRf class 66776 to finished off a nice afternoon.

Last edited: