• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It stopped at two stations on the way up, but when I had to get the bus back it only took half of that time, I think it was a Pendolino bus :)

Ah that's fair enough. 30 minutes on a rail replacement bus is not too bad.

I thought they only sold pies in Wigan, what are Halloumi Strips?

Ooh you have not tried the delicacy of fried, battered halloumi strips? You have not lived good sir, they are incredible! Extremely bad for you, of course, as it's deep fried and battered cheese, but oh my good gravy they are good! Similar are mozzarella dippers, I know the ones McDonald's did/do are incredibly nice.

It would take some burning off mind, and let us not even think about the saturated fat, but as a special treat then they are seriously worth trying. No good to me, being a vegan, but I do have fond memories of halloumi strips!

EDIT: Nice work on the scores in that limited time at Piccadilly :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Ah that's fair enough. 30 minutes on a rail replacement bus is not too bad.

Ooh you have not tried the delicacy of fried, battered halloumi strips? You have not lived good sir, they are incredible! Extremely bad for you, of course, as it's deep fried and battered cheese, but oh my good gravy they are good! Similar are mozzarella dippers, I know the ones McDonald's did/do are incredibly nice.

It would take some burning off mind, and let us not even think about the saturated fat, but as a special treat then they are seriously worth trying. No good to me, being a vegan, but I do have fond memories of halloumi strips!

EDIT: Nice work on the scores in that limited time at Piccadilly :)

Well Ive had a battered sausage in Thurso so why not a Wigan halloumi cheers mate

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Battered sausages used to be a bit of a favourite for me once upon a time! I think you'll love halloumi, I've only ever had one cheese better than it. It was a Swiss gruyere I think from Asda. So good!

I do also like Violife cheese though, that stuff is really nice. Not very healthy, but then no cheese is!

shredder1

Established Member
Battered sausages used to be a bit of a favourite for me once upon a time! I think you'll love halloumi, I've only ever had one cheese better than it. It was a Swiss gruyere I think from Asda. So good!

I do also like Violife cheese though, that stuff is really nice. Not very healthy, but then no cheese is!
I must admit, I di like my cheeses, lol, Ill try it Tech, cheers mate.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Doncaster. Saturday 9th April 2022.

Another early start with the alarm set for 05.00 and a drive down to Crumpsall for the first Metrolink tram into Manchester Piccadilly, with time to get breakfast at Greggs before the 07.20 Transpennine to Doncaster, but it was running 35 minutes late, when it did arrive we all got on the train only to be told, 10 minutes later that it was cancelled and we had to move into another train in front, this resulted in me not arriving into Doncaster until around 09.30, not a great start for such an early gut up, but the weather was good, cold though, but very bright sun most of the day, with a few clouds of rain coming in the afternoon briefly, so couldn’t complain really.

I still needed around 16 Azuma’s IET`s, and managed to whittle this down to 7, I also copped one Hull IET, leaving me one to clear now and 2 Lumo`s, leaving me one to cop, so quite a productive day, with plenty of freight to keep me going too.

These included, South bound two light paired engines in Freightliner livery, 66563 and 66545, followed by 66525 northbound, and then GBRf 66748 southbound, Freightliner 66532, southbound and Freightliner 66529, and 66747 in NWT livery, double headed 66151 in EWS livery and 66055 in DB livery southbound, followed by 66158 in EWS livery and 66743 Belmont Royal Scotsman livery. EWS liveried 67007 arrived and parked up in the sidings from the north. Finally, 66587 in One livery southbound.

I stayed on the platforms all day, caught up with a few friends, and boarded the 17.45 Transpennine class 185 back into Manchester, arriving home for around 20.00, so a good day was had.

shredder1

Established Member
Doncaster revisited. Friday 15th April 2022.

With the alarm set for 05.00 and a drive down to Crumpsall for the first Metrolink tram of the day into Manchester Piccadilly again, but it wasn’t running, so I finished up driving into Manchester. I was retracing my journey from the previous Saturday. It was bank holiday and the weather was glorious. I had the bug to try to clear my IET`s passing through Doncaster, and despite it being Good Friday, Realtime Trains was advertising quite a few freight movements.

I managed to catch an earlier Transpennine class 185 into Doncaster, leaving Manchester just before 06.30 a and arriving into Doncaster an hour later. I was actually the first crank on the station. A number of freight workings had been cancelled however as I rechecked RTT on the way over, but quite a lot passed on the avoiding line towards GBRf Roberts Road depot. I was however surprised to see some 6 class 91 sets operating on the day, these included class`s 91030, 91114, 91110, 91001, 91006 and 91130. Locomotive movements through the station: class 67007 EWS liver, parked up, Engineering train parked up behind yellow liveried class 37 97304, but with a class 331 parked up in front of it, making it difficult to obtain a decent photograph. Light engine EWS livery class 66183, EWS livery 66190, DB livery 66041, Freightliner livery 66513, GBRF 66787, Freightliner 66523, Freightliner orange livery 66503, DB livery 66041, double headed GBRf northbound 66768 and 66735, southbound Freightliner 66525, GBRf light engine 66728, EWS livery parked in platform bay north end 66183, Freightliner northbound 66565, Transpennine CAT on trials 68022, and GBRf 66777 southbound. So quite busy despite the cancellations.

I also managed a few IET cops, and now only need 1 Azuma and cleared Hull Trains, class 180`s and saw my last Lumo, so a very productive day also. I decided to catch the 16.45 Transpennine 185 back to Manchester, the train arrived late, we all pilled aboard and then 10 minutes later they decided to send the train to Scarborough, so we all had to detrain and wait over an hour and a half for the next one.

Faced with the delay, I decided to take tea in my favourite café`s, the Frenchgate, run by a lovely Turkish family. I returned to Doncaster station and caught a Transpennine class 185 direct to Manchester, arriving home for around 20.00, so another cracking day in Doncaster and in the company of some lovely people.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Blackpool. Saturday 16th April 2022.

The Saturday of the bank holiday weekend and I decided to try to track down the 4 class 195`s I needed. Metrolink was operating a normal service, so I drove down to Crumpsall tram station and caught the first tram into Manchester Victoria. A class 769 took me to Wigan Wallgate and walked across to Wigan North western for a train to Preston. No Transpennines were operating though and an Arrival Pendolino was cancelled, leaving me an hours wait for the next train to Preston.

Arriving into Preston I copped one of my class 195`s on a Barrow working. I then boarded a pair of Avanti voyagers to Blackpool North. The stabling point was pretty much empty with only two 319`s parked up, but plenty of class 195`s coming and going, so it was quite busy.

I took some time out at Blackpool and had a walk along the sea front and down to Sports Direct as I needed a few new gym vests, returning to the station I treated myself to an expensive ice cream. All the issues over photography at Blackpool North over the years seem to have gone away, these days they just let you get on with it and no one bats an eyelid, I guess the powered that be, have clamped down on the deviants who had gained an unfriendly reputation towards customers, or maybe they were just tired of all the complaints, either way Blackpool North now appears to be a photographic and enthusiast friendly station at last.

My next move was a pair of class 195`s back into Manchester Piccadilly direct, the weather was still glorious and I spent a pleasant few hours’ photting, Pendolinos were diverting through Oxford Road, and a few locations on the West Coast main line were closed due to engineering works, with no trains south of Milton Keynes, or any long distance workings. I only had the one cop for the day, but still, nice to get out and about all the same.

50002Superb

Manchester-Blackpool. Saturday 16th April 2022.

The Saturday of the bank holiday weekend and I decided to try to track down the 4 class 195`s I needed. Metrolink was operating a normal service, so I drove down to Crumpsall tram station and caught the first tram into Manchester Victoria. A class 769 took me to Wigan Wallgate and walked across to Wigan North western for a train to Preston. No Transpennines were operating though and an Arrival Pendolino was cancelled, leaving me an hours wait for the next train to Preston.

Arriving into Preston I copped one of my class 195`s on a Barrow working. I then boarded a pair of Avanti voyagers to Blackpool North. The stabling point was pretty much empty with only two 319`s parked up, but plenty of class 195`s coming and going, so it was quite busy.

I took some time out at Blackpool and had a walk along the sea front and down to Sports Direct as I needed a few new gym vests, returning to the station I treated myself to an expensive ice cream. All the issues over photography at Blackpool North over the years seem to have gone away, these days they just let you get on with it and no one bats an eyelid, I guess the powered that be, have clamped down on the deviants who had gained an unfriendly reputation towards customers, or maybe they were just tired of all the complaints, either way Blackpool North now appears to be a photographic and enthusiast friendly station at last.

My next move was a pair of class 195`s back into Manchester Piccadilly direct, the weather was still glorious and I spent a pleasant few hours’ photting, Pendolinos were diverting through Oxford Road, and a few locations on the West Coast main line were closed due to engineering works, with no trains south of Milton Keynes, or any long distance workings. I only had the one cop for the day, but still, nice to get out and about all the same.

I was at Piccadilly on Saturday too (via Crewe), it was a glorious day and plenty of cops, just a little quiet without the TPE services substantially reduced.

shredder1

Established Member
I was at Piccadilly on Saturday too (via Crewe), it was a glorious day and plenty of cops, just a little quiet without the TPE services substantially reduced.

Yes I still need a few of the Transpennines, a shame, but a great afternoon, I was mainly on platforms 13/14 for the sun phots.

shredder1

Established Member
Longsight and Newton Heath TMD. Sunday 17th April 2022.

Easter Sunday and after an early session at the gym and a Sunday lunch at my favourite pub, I was itchy to see if I could track down another class 195, I was now down to 3, plus I still need 4 of the class 397 Transpennine units, so all potential local cops.

I took a drive over to Longsight depot to see if I could see anything through the fencing, but it’s difficult to get anywhere near these days with so many premises now built up against the depot perimeter, so I was unable to see any of the class 397`s in the yard and all I could see was a Transpennine CAT and a Pendolino, viewed from the bottom gate.

I next drove over to Newton Heath depot which still has a few locations where you can see units on shed, Thorpe Road Bridge is good for an overall view. This was followed by a drive around to the main entrance where you can view any units parked against the road side wall, and I was pleased to get another class 195 cop, 195121, so only two to go now. The other viewing area is through the railings at the side of the garage on Dean Lane, looking towards the new depot building, another class 195 parked up, but not one I needed. A nice couple of hours out.

shredder1

Established Member
Mills Hill, Greater Manchester. Monday 18th April 2022.

Easter Monday, and Id succumbed to using Realtime Trains, (RTT), to track down my required units, 195`s particularly as I needed two of them. The first one 195 019 was showing as working from Leeds to Manchester, so I drove up to my local railway station, which is around 3.5 mile away, so really not that local, Mills Hill, and waited for her passing through at around 09.30. With the first cop in the bag, I drove back to my gym for a session.

A meal in a local town café and a quick check on Realtime Trains and I was on again for my last class 195 003, she was due through Mills Hill on a Leeds to Chester working at 13.20, so it was another drive up to Mills Hill railway station, and right on que, 195 003 was in the bag, tracking trains on RTT is more like entrapment than trainspotting, but if we have the technology, then why not use it I suppose. Following my cop was a bonus freight behind EWS liveried class 66 187 on the Knowsley bins.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Saturday 23rd April 2022.

A bit different this Saturday for me as I was meeting up with some fellow musicians in Bury, so decided to use up on of my free passes on the East lancs Railway. I drove up to Heywood railway station and caught the first train up to Rawtenstall and back to Bury for the meet up, later catching a train back to Heywood. I then drove back up to Bury and visited another branch of my JD gyms, had a workout and finished the afternoon with a nice relaxing sauna.

I traveled behind Sulzer class 33109/D6525 Captain Bill Smith RNR in BR railfreight grey, the only other service operating was hauled by BR Standard 4MT tank loco, 2–6–4 T 80097.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly. Sunday 24th April 2022.

On checking RTT and seeing if I had any potential local cops operating in the region, I noticed my last Class 331003, was running around between Manchester Airport and Blackpool Central, so a bit of entrapment was required for the required.

Sunday morning was my usual routine, the gym first doors, followed by my pub roast, then back to the homestead and class 331 003 was on her way back from Blackpool and due to pass through Manchester Piccadilly at 15.15.

A drive down to my local Metrolink stop, Crumpsall and a tram into Manchester Piccadilly and with 30 minutes to spare, before she glided into platform 13 with 331001 leading, scribble and that’s the class 331`s cleared.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.5032765526770926&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Reading. Saturday 21st May 2022.

A day trip down to Reading to thin out my GWR IET and class 387`s allocated to Reading, and I had some good results for the day.

I drove down to Manchester for the 05.11 to Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager to Reading, a journey of around three and a half hours by train, so time to catch up on some sleep. The weather was lovely and the journey both ways went without event. I spit ticketed the journey saving about £15, so £49, still expenses by Eastern European standards an indeed many Western European countries.

I sat on the end of the station all day in my T shirt, topping up the tan, and it was nice to see Reading is still as busy as ever. The sleeper returned from Penzance behind the GWR class 57, but I was on the wrong platform to get a decent photograph of her and by the time I had got over to the right platform, she had gone. Two freight movements went through the station, one on containers and the Daventry Tesco on a diversion both west bound.

The Elizabeth Line class 345`s were operating through to London Paddington with the full Cross Rail line opening in three days’ time, so I expect Reading is set to become busier. I must admit I do miss the old Reading General station, but as far as modernised stations go, the new Reading railway station has a good balance, and works quite well.

A good selection of class 165`s and class 387`s, and on the southern platforms were mainly class 450`s these days with just two class 458`s working in between. The last time I was down there the HST`s still ruled the roost, its surprising how quickly things appear to change, or maybe it’s an age thing.

shredder1

Established Member
Doncaster. Saturday 28th May 2022.

I was a bit undecided where to go this weekend, so thought another ride over to Doncaster wouldn’t go a miss, its always busy with freight and I needed to clear by last Azuma IET`s, which on checking Realtime Trains was operating from London to Edinburgh and passing through Doncaster around 12.30, she was right on time.

I was up for 05.00 and on the first tram into Manchester, but engineering works saw me having to walk from Market Street into Piccadilly.

I was on a 07.20 Transpennine class 185, twin units, direct into Doncaster and the first thing I did on arrival was to walk out to Roberts Road depot to see if I could see anything in the depot or find a location on the avoiding line to photograph the workings that avoid the station, but both locations were inaccessible, with security fencing everywhere, however, I did find a nice little café in the industrial estate by the side of the depot, so at least I got a brew after my walk out there.

On walking back to the station, I managed a shot over the bridge on the mainline where they now park locos, 2 Colas class 56`s and a class 70 were parked up in the sidings, but I needed my small collapsible stool to see over the bridge parapet. Returning to the station, I spent the rest of the day on the platforms and caught up with a few friends, plenty of freight through to keep me busy with included the pair of class 37`s on the engineering train which is a regular visitor.

Problems with Transpennine on the return journey though, first a platform change at the last minute for the 03.40 which was running 10 minutes late, a platform change from 3A to platform 8, we boarded the train and sat on it for about 15 minutes only to be told that it was then only going as far as Meadowhall and that we could return to platform 3A for another Transpennine direct into Manchester, this was also running late and I arrived just before 17.00, but I was in no rush really and was back home for around 18.30, so not a bad day out.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly and Oxford Road. Thursday 2nd June 2022.

Extended bank holidays thank to the Queens Jubilee, gave me a few extra days out this week. After an early start into Manchester, I put Realtime Trains into action again to track down Transpennine class 397 unit 397 007 on a Manchester Airport to Carlisle diagram and also Cross-Country Voyager 221 124 on a Bournemouth working, I now only require one of each. A bonus working was light engine 90039 in Backbone livery heading west through Manchester Piccadilly and I later caught the class 90 returning, but hauling EWS liveried 66060 East through Oxford Road, and all that before 10.30, so not a bad result. On returning to the car at my local Metrolink station I then drove up to Bury for a session in the gym followed by a relaxing sauna, so a pretty chilled out day really.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Friday 3rd June 2022.

The Jubilee event on the East Lances Railway, I noticed on the roster that English Electric Class 40 D345 in BR green livery was operating and this was my main target. In fact, it was a green day in that everything that was operating was in green livery. This included Collett GWR class 56XX 0-6-2T 5643, Bullied Pacific, 4-6-2 34092 City of Wells and Cravens/BRCW, Class 105, DMU SC51485 and E56121. I had an early session at my JD gym, Bury, followed by a sauna again, walked over to Bury Bolton Street station for a few photographs and then returned to the car and first drove up to Ramsbottom and next to Irwell Vale and finally Rawtenstall, for different location photographs, which positioned me nicely, as my eldest granddaughter, now living in Eastbourne, was up at my daughters in Stacksteads for the weekend, so chance to visit the family, which finished up a nice and varied day.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.5146338945413583&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Midland Road TMD, Leeds. Saturday 4th June 2022.

A day out in the car, leaving the house at 06.00 to a bright morning, and starting with a run over the M62 to Leeds and a visit to Midland Road depot, with a good mix of Freightliner class 66s and 70`s. Although the sky had clouded a little as I crossed the Pennines, but still I managed to capture a few good images while poking the lens through the fencing.

I then drove over to Haworth for the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which Ill continue in another album.

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. Saturday 4th June 2022.

After a successful visit to Midland Road, Leeds, I then drove back west on the M62 and took the Bradford Road, traveling cross country to Haworth, taking breakfast in the café opposite the railway station.

Following breakfast, I visited the sheds at Haworth. Two locos were in steam, BR class 2MT 2-6-2T 41241 and Taff Vale Railway class 02, 0-6-2T 85, with BR class 20 031 in two tone grey coal sector livery.

I next drove down to Keighley to get a few lineside photographs, I have the privilege of having a lineside pass for the Worth Valley Railway, one of a few railways still allowing them, but it only takes on person to lose it for everyone, I’ve already had reports of these being misused and they are no longer issuing new ones at the moment, only renewals.

Driving to Ingrow West for a visit to the shop and to buy a few books and DVD`s. I then had a ride behind a few service trains up to Oxenhope, Oakworth and I walked down the line to Damems, before returning to Ingrow West and then driving back over the Pennines. The weather was dry, with sunny spells, not a bad day really.

xotGD

Established Member
Some great shots on the KWVR. You picked the right day, as it is a bit damp on this side of the Pennines today.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly. Monday 6th June 2022.

A quick check on Realtime Trains displayed my last Cross Country Voyager was on its way up from Bournemouth to Manchester Piccadilly arriving at 13.23, so plenty of time for a session at the gym and sauna before driving down to Crumpsall Metrolink station and a tram into Manchester Piccadilly.

My Cross-Country Voyager 220030 was right on time, other bonuses were a Transpennine Cat in the bay platforms on driver training, class 68027 “Splendid”, and southbound on freight was Maritime class 66090, “Maritime Intermodal Six”, so worth the effort of going out for.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've not been commenting lately, admittedly, but I have been reading and clearly you're having an excellent year on the railway! One day I may actually find time to look at all your photos too, sometimes I don't get such luxury as I'm more likely to be found outside when it's nice weather. This week, yes let's not comment on the forecast!

Love your commitment to keeping healthy and managing to maintain your interest in the railway!

shredder1

Established Member
I've not been commenting lately, admittedly, but I have been reading and clearly you're having an excellent year on the railway! One day I may actually find time to look at all your photos too, sometimes I don't get such luxury as I'm more likely to be found outside when it's nice weather. This week, yes let's not comment on the forecast!

Love your commitment to keeping healthy and managing to maintain your interest in the railway!

Thanks very much Tech, yes times always a problem, I like to keep fit of course, but need to lose weight again, it keeps creeping up on me. my problem is I like food too much.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I sympathise, I have a similar problem. A lot of mine is psychological, but I'm working on the neuroplasticity works required. One day, I'll have a diet better matched to my requirements yet still satisfied!

shredder1

Established Member
I sympathise, I have a similar problem. A lot of mine is psychological, but I'm working on the neuroplasticity works required. One day, I'll have a diet better matched to my requirements yet still satisfied!

Ive just had to move two buttons on my new walking pants, so should be OK for my trips to Europe next week :( .