• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Yes D3 is the one really, calcium take sparingly though, its an easy one to over does with, I use Zinc with has similar properties for the bone.

I love the night trains across Europe and Ive done many over the years, Sofia, Bulgaria to Istanbul is a good one apart from being woke up at the Turkish border in the middle of the night, having to get dressed and leave your first class sleeper car, and then hang around on the platform while they sort out a visa out for you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, Scarborough and York. Saturday 9th October 2021.

I must admit to missing my night trains in the UK. When the Arriva Club 55 tickets were available, Id often have an all night run from Manchester Piccadilly to Carmarthen with an early hours change to the Fishguard Harbour boat train to meet the Irish ferry, which usually got me back into Swansea for around 03.30, but even that ones not possible now.

So, my option for an early train from Manchester Piccadilly was the 02.42 to York. I`d finished work on the Friday afternoon at 16.00 hours, gone to the gym for a workout and back in the hour for around 18.00, grabbed some tea and went to bed early, not that I slept much, I was up from 00.30, and after having a very early breakfast I drove into Manchester and entered a very quiet Manchester Piccadilly station for around 02.00. I’m not used to seeing the station at this time in the morning and although a few bodies were dotted around in a semi state of consciousness on available station benches, only one train was stood in a platform, a pair of the new 195 units.

I made my way down to platform 14 and a Transpennine class 185 was waiting. It was timed for a two-and-a-half-hour journey to York, with a stop at Huddersfield for 30 minutes, (reminiscent of the old parcel trains). My train arrived in York for 05.00 and after a quick recce around the station, two Transpennine cats parked up in the platforms, 60026 “Enterprise” and 68023 “Achilles”. I caught a 30-minute delayed, Class 185 to Scarborough arriving for 07.30. Scarborough station was also very quiet with only the train I have arrived on in the station.

I next made my way over to the Lord Rosebery, a Wetherspoons pub, and I was in time for breakfast, a full English, but confident that I could burn these extra calories off, I didn’t feel too guilty about the diet. After breakfast I walked down the hill into the town to the harbour, it was a glorious morning for a walked so I walked right around the Castle Hill and onto the North Bay and the North Bay Railway, a 20-inch gauge operation at just under 1 mile in length, with both steam and diesel locomotives, a railway I’ve visited before. I caught the first train of the day, a Hudswell and Clarke diesel locomotive named “Robin Hood” and designed to look like a steam locomotive. The first run around the North Bay, from Peasholme Park, the main operations base to Scalby Mills at the end of the line.

After my visit I walked back through Peasholme Park and up the hill to the Scarborough’s mainline station. On arrival at the station, I was rewarded with two class 37`s parked in the platforms on a rail treatment train, 37401 “Mary Queen of Scots”, and 37402 “Stephen Middlemore” and perfect for a few photographs, while also sat under the roof was Transpennine Cat 68032 “Destroyer” and later to arrive was another Nova 2, 68030 “Black Douglas”, which appeared to only be operating between York to Scarborough. In fact, I caught 68032 “Destroyer” back into York and it just returned to Scarborough, and later while I was at York, 68030 “Black Douglas”, did the same trip. On a Scarborough to Sheffield via Hull service was a Northern class 170.

I spent the next few hours on the platforms of York, the main stay these days are the LNER Azuma`s of course, but the Sprinter class 155 are still operating on the Hull services. Plenty of class 195`s coming in and out and class 170`s now on the Harrogate line. I was hoping to see one of the new class 803 Lumo`s, but none showed up. I left York at 15.55 on a later running Manchester Airport class 185 and had a pleasant journey back into Manchester Piccadilly to collect the car and drive home, and thus had a very satisfying trip out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Bay_Railway#:~:text=North Bay Railway (NBR) is,Bay area of the town.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun trip, fair play. I need to do that little railway in Scarborough, it's been on the list to do since 2005 and I've still not got around to allocating time to it. Still, I have got to head that way some time to do the ride to Whitby, so I will hopefully combine the two.

87electric

That's a great trip you did there and incorporating a 68 is always a bonus. There has always been something magical about travelling by train overnight for me, whatever country.

shredder1

Established Member
Yes its a nice little railway the North Bay, well run and a good tourist attraction for the area. The last time I was in Scarborough I went to do a piece on the Funiculars, Scarborough had 5 at one time, sadly only one is presently operating, the Spar cliff Funicular, (the oldest in Britain), is closed until further notice, and St Nicolas has been converted into a cafe. Only the Central Funicular is operating at present. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_funiculars

shredder1

Established Member
That's a great trip you did there and incorporating a 68 is always a bonus. There has always been something magical about travelling by train overnight for me, whatever country.
Yes its so magical at night, something about the atmosphere is railway stations at night that`s always attracted me and to board a sleeper service is electric.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes its a nice little railway the North Bay, well run and a good tourist attraction for the area. The last time I was in Scarborough I went to do a piece on the Funiculars, Scarborough had 5 at one time, sadly only one is presently operating, the Spar cliff Funicular, (the oldest in Britain), is closed until further notice, and St Nicolas has been converted into a cafe. Only the Central Funicular is operating at present. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_funiculars

Ah yes I remember seeing the funicular when I went many years ago. I think it was 2006, whenever it was TPX was all or mostly all 158s still, that was a long time ago! I didn't do it at the time, for reasons I don't remember. Maybe next time!

shredder1

Established Member
Ah yes I remember seeing the funicular when I went many years ago. I think it was 2006, whenever it was TPX was all or mostly all 158s still, that was a long time ago! I didn't do it at the time, for reasons I don't remember. Maybe next time!
i Like the old funiculars, theres not really that many in the UK really.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Saturday 16th October 2021.

Playing at home this weekend, it was the good old East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala. The first stop was a short drive up to Ramsbottom Sidings, but after the first two trains passed through, a security guard came up the sidings and asked us to leave, in some 50 years of supporting the railway, Ive never come across anything like it on the East Lancs, so I guess the Railway is changing, and in fairness if an accident happened to someone while lineside, the railway could be held liable and we all have a duty to protect our preserved railways whenever we can. A few of the lads in the sidings were current volunteers for the railway, and later two police men came up the sidings to make sure every one had left, but they gave the impression that they were wasting their time, it was hardly an emergency. I guess we have to protect our preserved railways and all good things come to an end I suppose, although it does seem a little strange stopping working members from going lineside now, especially since a couple of those members had been asked to patrol the tracks while the railway was closed due to Covid.

After being evicted from the sidings, I made my way to Ramsbottom station and later onto Burrs Country Park in the fields. There was plenty of action all day with some very interesting freight arrangements, so some great planning involved. Two advertised locos sadly failed, A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” and a LMS Jinty 47298. A nice touch by the railway was to have A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” on display in Bury Bolton Street station. The usual excellent selection of stalls for railway books, models and other related railwayania. Overall a great event, a big well done to all involved on the East Lancs Railway, another winning event.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097 (Friday/Saturday only), Sentinel Works – 7232 ‘Ann’ (Saturday only shunting wagons around Bury)

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Sunday 17th October 2021.

I’m usually on band practice Sunday these days, but my second guitarist was busy, so after an early session in the gym and then a roast dinner at a village pub, I was on my way to the East Lancs railway again, but just staying on Bury Bolton Street on this day, which gave me time to visit all the stalls and catch up with a few friends.

I managed to capture everything that was running again apart from the Great Western tank loco, 5643, I also managed a few shots of the “City of Wells” leading the diner service rushing through the station. I also succumbed to buying a mint condition Hornby 00 Gauge Drummond 700 Class 3F 0-6-0 30346 in late BR black livery for £60 from Rogers undercroft emporium, so can’t complain at that price and another nice model for the cabinets. However, the weather was poor, damp and dull, still a few punters around though, and lots on the trains, so hope the railway did well over the event and a big well done again to all involved.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097,

YorkyLad

East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Saturday 16th October 2021.

Playing at home this weekend, it was the good old East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala. The first stop was a short drive up to Ramsbottom Sidings, but after the first two trains passed through, a security guard came up the sidings and asked us to leave, in some 50 years of supporting the railway, Ive never come across anything like it on the East Lancs, so I guess the Railway is changing, and in fairness if an accident happened to someone while lineside, the railway could be held liable and we all have a duty to protect our preserved railways whenever we can. A few of the lads in the sidings were current volunteers for the railway, and later two police men came up the sidings to make sure every one had left, but they gave the impression that they were wasting their time, it was hardly an emergency. I guess we have to protect our preserved railways and all good things come to an end I suppose, although it does seem a little strange stopping working members from going lineside now, especially since a couple of those members had been asked to patrol the tracks while the railway was closed due to Covid.

After being evicted from the sidings, I made my way to Ramsbottom station and later onto Burrs Country Park in the fields. There was plenty of action all day with some very interesting freight arrangements, so some great planning involved. Two advertised locos sadly failed, A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” and a LMS Jinty 47298. A nice touch by the railway was to have A4 60009 “Union of South Africa” on display in Bury Bolton Street station. The usual excellent selection of stalls for railway books, models and other related railwayania. Overall a great event, a big well done to all involved on the East Lancs Railway, another winning event.

Operating locomotives,

LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T 41312 visiting from the Mid-Hants Railway, GWR 7800 Class 7820 ‘Dinmore Manor’ visiting from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, GWR 5600 Class – 5643, L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456, L&Y Class 27 – 52322, Southern, West Country Class – 34092 ‘City of Wells’, Standard 4 – 80097 (Friday/Saturday only), Sentinel Works – 7232 ‘Ann’ (Saturday only shunting wagons around Bury)

I was amazed to see your security guard friend on Ramsbottom Station, stopping people from accessing the station. Why did the ELR feel the need to pay for a security guard at Ramsbottom station checking tickets - when in the past either obtaining a Platform Ticket or dropping a few coins in the milk churn was sufficient if you weren't travelling? It is hardly a hot bed for aggro?! Not sure what the arrangements were at Bury, bit it seems a bit over the top for me and certainly didn't look very 'heritage'. Great pics by the way!

shredder1

Established Member
I was amazed to see your security guard friend on Ramsbottom Station, stopping people from accessing the station. Why did the ELR feel the need to pay for a security guard at Ramsbottom station checking tickets - when in the past either obtaining a Platform Ticket or dropping a few coins in the milk churn was sufficient if you weren't travelling? It is hardly a hot bed for aggro?! Not sure what the arrangements were at Bury, bit it seems a bit over the top for me and certainly didn't look very 'heritage'. Great pics by the way!

Thanks very much friend, yes a bit of a waste of money it would seem, but I think they had a staffing issues, a lack of volunteers at Ramsbottom, Bury was fine, we had our own staff manning the station.

shredder1

Established Member
Dean Forest Railway. 50th Anniversary. Saturday 23rd October 2021.

It had been quite a few years since I last visited the Dean Forest Railway and I had been meaning to get back to it for some time, but was looking for a suitable gala day in which to visit. So, when I noted the 50th Anniversary gala coming up, I’d put it in my diary.

Another early start and a drive down to Manchester Piccadilly for the 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager down to Birmingham New Street followed by a walk across the bridges to platform 12B for the Cross Country Nottingham to Cardiff class 170 to Gloucester. Nice to see a former Chilterns Turbostar coupled up to e West Midlands train` class 170 for a bit of livery variety.

At Gloucester I boarded a TfW Turbostar class 170 for the last part of the journey to Lydney, arriving by 09.30 so a four and a half hour journey. The Severn Tunnel was closed for maintenance, so plenty of diverted IET`s passing through Gloucester and Lydney.

I made the short walk around to Lydney Junction for the Dean Forest Railway and awaited the first train down the line, although the first one out was at 10.40, it might have been better had the railway arranged an earlier train from the junction, if only for visitors to spend money on a breakfast in the Café at Norchard.

The first train in was an ex GWR small Prairie Tank 4451, this was followed by a second train behind ex BR class 14 D9521, both services were operating the full length of the line from Lydney Junction to Parkend, with a third locomotive, former Longmoor Military Railway Austerity tank 75008 “Swiftsure”, joining later in the day, while the class 14 went on driver experience for visitors. A DMU service was also operating at various times of the day between Norchard Low Level station and Lydney Junction calling at Lydney Town station. In addition to this, a visiting locomotive Pecket 1722, “Rocket” from the Telford Steam Railway was giving guards van rides around Parkend throughout the day, so some very intensive operations on a railway that is just under 5 miles in length, but feels much longer.

My first trip of the day was a ride up to Parkend behind the small Prairie Tank 4451, I returned as far as Norchard behind class 14 D9521. A much welcome coffee at Norchard along with a visit to the shop, museum, bookshops and workshops, plenty to do and see and a further £16 worth of station totem fridge magnets added to the collection. My next move was a ride on the DMU service back into Lydney Junction, returning to Norchard, I next returned to Parkend, this time behind Austerity tank 75008 “Swiftsure”, I spent some time at Parkend on my second visit of the day and took a guard’s van ride behind the Pecket 1722, “Rocket”, before returning to Norchard behind small Prairie Tank 4451, and finally another train, behind LMR Austerity 75008 “Swiftsure”, back to Lydney Junction.

It was an intensive gala with very frequent trains, so a really big well done to the Dean Forest Railway and its volunteers for a fantastic effort, well done guys. It was nice to catch up with a few old friends and meet a few new ones too.

I caught the 17.55 train from Lydney to Gloucester and was rewarded with EWS liveried class 66176 stopped at the signals as my train arrived, so it gave me the opportunity of a few photographs, after it continued on its journey a class 60 passed through at speed on a large tanker train, but far too fast for any night time photography. A thirty-minute wait for the Birmingham Train at Gloucester, but a great connection on a Cross Country Voyager from New Street to Manchester Piccadilly although it was 20 minutes down by the time it arrived at 21.40, but after a short drive home I was in the house for just after 22.00, a great trip.

shredder1

Established Member
Lancashire Day Rover, (Part 1). Saturday 30th October 2021.

With no events happening over the weekend, I decided to stay relatively local and purchased a Lancashire day rover ticket. The idea was mainly to cover a few lines I hadn’t done for a while and generally see what was around. Essentially, I wanted to travel on the West Lancashire line from Ormskirk to Preston and then the Morecambe and Heysham branch.

I had a bit of a lay in this Saturday and didn’t need to set the alarm until 05.00 for the first tram out of Bowker Vale and into Manchester. From Manchester Piccadilly I boarded the 07.20 to Liverpool Lime Street for a full Wetherspoons English breakfast in the “North Western”, which set me up for the day.

I was next down the tunnels and heading out to Kirkdale to view the depot yard from the station. The new 777`s don’t appear to operate on a Saturday, but have apparently been out on driver training midweek on the Southport lines. Still, plenty of class 507`s and 508`s around at the moment, but they are on borrowed time now.

My next train was up to Ormskirk where I left Merseyrail and waited for the West Lancashire line connection up to Preston, this line was operated by a Northern class 158 Sprinter and it arrived in torrential rain which gave me a good soaking as I took a few snaps before boarding.

I arrived at Preston to catch up with the colourful Pride Pendolino before boarding a Northern Barrow class 195 as far as Lancaster, where I caught up with the Air Force liveried class 156 parked up in the bay platforms.

I wanted to travel on the Heysham branch and my Northern Sprinter class 156 was already waiting in the platforms, it only operates one service a day at present, for the 12.00 sailing to Douglas Isle of Man, the only other daily sailing to the Isle of Man from Heysham is at midnight, but no train service connects with that one. The train goes via Morecambe and reverses for the Heysham line, the driver has to change the points on a ground frame and do the same again on the return journey. The direct line from Heysham back to the West Coast Main Line was taken out many years ago,

It must have been a great service back in the days of the Lancaster, Morecambe and Heysham electric trains, which finished in the 1960`s, sadly I didn’t get up there to see them back then. As you arrive into Heysham, a branch to the docks leaves the line on the left just before Heysham station, but this will now sadly be out of use.

I returned to Lancaster and then boarded a Transpenning Nova 2 Class 397 to Liverpool New Street. While passing Edgehill yard, celebrity class 66`s GB Freight 66794 “Steve Hannam”, in two tone grey and 66720 in Rainbow livery were in the yard and I managed a few photographs while passing train from the train.

My Nova 2 Transpennine class 397 arrived in an adjacent platform to a Transpennine Nova 1 class 802, so nice to see these two units together. I was then back down the tunnels and next alighting at Sandhills and waiting for a connection to Southport. At Southport I took a Subway tea in the town before catching a Northern class 769 back into Manchester Piccadilly and then the tram back to the car and drive home for 20.00, so another good day out.

Ticket details,

Facebook are now limiting photo albums to 80 images, so I’ve had to break this up into two separate albums.

Part 1.

Part 2, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4476507552396729&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, 40th Anniversary. Saturday 6th November 2021.

Locomotives operating included Southern region, Bullied Pacific, Merchant Navy class 4-6-2, 35006 “Peninsular & Oriental S. N. Co”. GWR Collett, Hall 4900 Class 4-6-0, 7903 “Foretake Hall”, GWR/BR Manor class 4-6-0, 7820 “Dinmore Manor”, GWR Churchward, 2-8-0T, 4200 class 4270, Diesels included, class 37215, class 24 5081 and class 47 47105 all in corporate blue livery, also Pressed Steel, class 117 3-car DMU W51405 (DMS), W59510 (TCL), W51363 (DMBS).

So it was back to an early start, alarm set for 03.30 for the drive into Manchester for the 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager as far as Birmingham New Street and then a rush across the footbridge to platform 12B for the Plymouth Cross Country Voyager to Cheltenham Spa. Parked in the platforms at New Street was Avanti West Coast Class 390, 390121, Climate Train livery, but sadly the connect at Birmingham New Street was quite tight and I didn’t get chance to take a photograph of it.
The Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway had arranged a vintage bus operating from Cheltenham Spa railway station to Cheltenham Racecourse station for the event, but I wasn’t sure when the first one was due, so caught a regular service bus instead and just walked out to the station as I normally do when visiting there.

The first service in to Cheltenham Racecourse was leading with class 47105, and to take us out was 7820 “Dinmore Manor”, doubled headed with 7903 “Foremarke Hall”, a Hall and a Manor, what a way to start a gala, I rode these all the way up to Toddington where the Manor and class 47 were removed and the Hall continued up to Broadway with the class 24 attached to the rear for the return journey.

I returned on the class 24 back to Toddington for a shed visit and walked around to the viewing areas, lots of stalls were around the site also, so I visited these and also spent some time photographing the comings and goings on the line. I later had a ride down to Winchcombe behind the class 37 and spent a few hours around the site and photographing the movements from a viewing area infront of the paint shops.

My last train of the day was the DMU back into Cheltenham Racecourse station and this time I sampled the free vintage bus service back into Cheltenham Spa railway station. It had been a really great event, the Merchant Navy for me was the star of the show, she looked magnificent, all the Merchant Navy class were rebuilt by 1959, and I was far too young to travel down to Southern England to see an un-rebuilt one as I was only 8 in 1959, so the only Spamcan’s I’ve ever saw are the smaller West Country, Battle of Britain classes. However. One of the stall holders at Toddington were the group who have 35011 “General Steam Navigation”, the last remaining Merchant Navy pacific from Barry, and the group are presently restoring it into its original un-rebuilt form with air smoothed casing and Bulleids`s unique chain driven valve gear, so theres one to watch for.

I had just over 10 minutes to wait for a Cross Country Voyager to take me back up to Birmingham, but nearly an hour to wait for another Voyager to take me back to Manchester, which was fine as I got something to eat on the station. I arrived back into Manchester Piccadilly for around 20.30 and after the short drive home, I was back before 22.00, so another satisfying day out, a great big well done to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, thanks for reading.

Facebook are now limiting gallery albums to 80 images, so I’ve had to break this up into two separate albums, Parts 1 and 2.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway DMU gala. Saturday 13th November 2021.

Traction operating, BRC&W Class 104, Class 105 ‘Cravens’, BRC&W Class 110 ‘Calder Valley`, Gloucester RC&W Class 122 (Bubblecar), paired with a single ‘BSK’ carriage, Class 144 ‘Pacer’ DMU ‘drag’: Class 33, (33109) and Class 104.

Another local event and probably the last of the year before the Santa Specials start everywhere. I was on the first train of the day out, the Cravens 105, I can remember seeing many of these in East Lancashire back in the 1970`s, particularly on Accrington sheds, this one however is an ex Scottish example. I travelled on the class 105 to Rawtenstall and back down the line as far as Burrs Country Park and waited for the BRC&W class 104 to take me back up the line to Summerseat where I caught the Pacer class 144 back into Bury.

I waited for the class 104 to return to Bury and took it down to Heywood returning to Bury for the DMU ‘drag’: Class 33, (33109) and Class 104 as far as Ramsbottom, where I met the northbound Class 122 (Bubblecar), paired with a single ‘BSK’ carriage, but returned to Bury on the DMU ‘drag’: Class 33, (33109) and Class 104.

The Calder Valley class 110 then moved onto the station and was paired with the class 104 for my second run of the day upto Rawtenstall and finally returning to Bury. A full and active day, a big well done to the East Lancashire Railway and its volunteers on the day.

https://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/events-activities/dmu-weekend/

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester including non-electrified lines. Monday 15th November 2021.

I`m usually busy on Mondays practicing with the band, but due to a few members being away, I had the day to myself. I was up and in the gym for 07.00 and by 09.30 I was boarding a tram at Crumpsall Metrolink station, first stop Manchester Victoria.

I decided to catch up with the none electrified lines to the west of Greater Manchester, the two I was interested in was the Bolton to Wigan via Westhoughton line and then Hindley to Salford Crescent via Atherton line.

The first train I boarded was a Southport bound Northern Sprinter class 150 to Westhoughton, followed by a Northern class 769 to Hindley. From Hindley I was off down the Atherton line and alighting at all the stations which still had their canopies.

My next train took me to Walden and later Swinton, from where I return to Wigan Northwestern. I eventually caught up with the COP26 Avanti Pendolino 390121 on a London bound service. I finally caught a Northern class 195 to Manchester Piccadilly to see the only loco of the day in the bay platforms, Transpennine Cat class 68030 “Black Douglas” before taking the tram back to the car, so not a bad day really.

Part 1.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4523624477685036&type=3

Part 2.

shredder1

Established Member
Edinburgh and Glasgow, Saturday, Sunday 20th 21st November 2021.

Transpennine were offering their Club 55 tickets, so I thought I’d take advantage and have a few days in Scotland, around Glasgow and Edinburgh as I hadn’t been up there for a few of years. The old Glasgow electric class 314`s have now been withdrawn, but a few of the class 318`s are still around, so these and the Scottish HST`s were my main target.

I caught an early train from Manchester Piccadilly on Saturday morning at around 06.30, a NOVA 2, direct to Edinburgh Waverley. While waiting for my train at Manchester Piccadilly, no less than 3 freights went through, but the only one I managed to photograph was Freightliner 66502 heading towards Trafford Park. On arrival into Edinburgh Waverley, parked up against the wall was GBRf liveried Class 92020 “Billy Sterling”, which I suspect they are using on the Caledonian Sleeper services. The class 385`s have now taken over a lot of the services since I was last up there and after a look around Waverley station, I caught a class 385 to Glasgow on the longer route via Shotts and Bellshill into Glasgow Central. The football was on in Glasgow and the train was full of drunken supporters, so it didn’t take me long to join in with them, since the cans were going free.

On arrival into Glasgow Central, I obtained some supplies from Greggs and took another class 385 out to Motherwell via Cambuslang and Bellshill. Motherwell depot looked very quite empty as I passed by, only one class 66 in the yard and no sign of the class 68`s, if they are still operating up there. From Motherwell I caught a class 320 via Hamilton and Bridgeton to Glasgow Central Low-Level platforms and made my way up to the main station again. My next move was a class 380 down to Neilston, the last time I was down that line it was operated by class 314`s still in the maroon livery, I returned to Glasgow Central on the same train as the light was going by this time, so after an hour or so on the station, only two class 318 set were noted operating, so I headed back down to the Low Level platforms and caught a class 318 up to Partick, as main of the class 318`s are operating on these lines now, mainly on the Milngavie services. After spending a little time at Partick, I caught my last train of the day to Charing Cross as I was staying at the Staysafe Hostel a five-minute walk from the station and at £19 for the night, it was ideal. I`ve stayed in the Safestay Hostel`s in the UK and also Czech Republic and Vienna and they always provide an excellent service to suit my needs, as I usually arrive late and Im up and out early.

I was up and showered by 06.30 Sunday morning, and walked into the city for breakfast. Glasgow is very slow on a Sunday morning and even the main railway station Central, doesn’t open up until around 07.30. I caught the first train out going anywhere, which was a class 380 heading for Gourock, but I alighted at Paisley Gilmour station, before returning to Glasgow Central.

The Saturday had been bright and sunny when I initially arrived into Edinburgh, but it later became dark and overcast with rain in the air by the time Id travelled to Glasgow. On the Sunday however was a stark change, with plenty of sunshine, not bad for a November day. I headed back down the tunnels and caught a train up to Hyndland, once the site of an EMU depot from 1960 to around 1987, it housed the Glasgow Blue trains the class 303`s, no sign of it these days though. I did however catch up with a number of class 318`s.

From Hyndland I caught another train up to Anniesland for the connection back into Glasgow Queen Street on a non-electrified section operated by a class 158. On passing Eastfield depot, there now appears to be more buildings on site and more lines in place for the class 385`s. Glasgow Queen Street has also had a major facelift since I was last there and they have made a really good job of it, a more open and lighter concourse with extended platforms for the new class 385`s. I also caught up with my first Scottish HST of the trip working an Aberdeen service.

I caught a class 385 on the direct line back to Edinburgh alighting at Haymarket and in time to see an Edinburgh Aberdeen HST rush through the station, a few more HST sets were parked up on Haymarket depot. After an hour at Haymarket and I was back through the tunnels into Waverley station for my Transpennine Nova 2 class 397 direct into Manchester Piccadilly and after a bus ride home I was back in the house for 19.30 Sunday evening, so a nice cheap weekend away, thanks to Transpennine.

Prices Transpennine Club 55 ticket £20, SPT Roundabout tickets £7.40 a day, so a very cheap weekend

Part 1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4544536145593869&type=3

Part 2

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4545606845486799&type=3

Part 3

xotGD

Established Member
Club 55 sounds like a good deal. Alas, I'm only 54!

shredder1

Established Member
Carlisle & Glasgow. Day 1. Saturday 27th November 2021.

Another weekend taking advantage of the Transpennine Club 55 offer. Since I didn’t do everything, I wanted to do last weekend, I booked a return to Glasgow on the Saturday and a guest house to stay over until Sunday.

I had however already booked everything by the time Storm Arwen was announced, probably a bit foolish venturing out after a storm warning and sadly three people were killed by falling trees, but I decided to travel all the same, although a few things did go against me. Firstly I needed to catch a 05.00 train from Manchester Piccadilly which is 7 mile away from my residency, so I ordered a local taxi on the Tuesday before, “Middleton Cars” I phoned them again on Friday night to remind them and even offered to wait at the end of the street to save the taxi driving in from the main road, after phoning the office 3 times a taxi arrived 15 minutes late, and even then I had to chase him down the next road, so I had a stinking row with him, fired him off and ordered another local taxi who came within 5 minutes, so I made the train with minutes to spare, albeit a bit wet after running around, phew!

It was a nice smooth run on a Transpennine Nova 2, coffee was served and the storm sounded like it was easing outside the train. Unfortunately, as we arrived into Carlisle an announcement came over the tannoid that the train was cancelled at Carlisle due to fallen trees on the line. Transpennine basically dumped us at Carlisle and forgot about us for 5 hours, as train after train were cancelled north of Carlisle, and even the Newcastle trains suffered. Another later announcement stated that the line would be closed until further notice. The staff at Carlisle were very good though to be fair and we did have a choice of warm waiting rooms to hang around in.

I took a full English breakfast in the “William Rufus”, a pub I’ve used here before and a J D Wetherspoons. I was lucky in that as I arrived classes 90007 and 90046, we stopped in the station on a northbound container train, and shortly afterwards the Caledonian Sleeper arrived southbound behind class 92018. A few more trains kept me occupied throughout the morning, the track cleaner with a pair of 68`s DRS 68016 and 68010, and later the Tesco with another pair, plus a class 57312 Rail Operations Group towing class 319-unit Orion and class 70814 in Colas livery on a log train, plus Thunderbird duties class 57308 parked up along the wall, even the Flying Scotsman made an appearance on a special which should have taken the Settle and Carlisle line, but instead was diverted up the main line, so plenty of action to keep me going.

By early afternoon I suppose someone had to order some coaches and a coach to Glasgow did turn up, also one for Edinburgh for other stranded passengers. We made good time on the coach and I arrived into Glasgow for 14.30 so still a few hours left to do a few lines. I bought two, day roundabout tickets from the ticket office, one for the Saturday and another for the Sunday, and I jumped the first train down to East Kilbridge and back to Glasgow Central on Sprinter 156`s in a threesome, this was followed by a run out to Paisley Canal on a Class 320, passing Shields Road and Corkerhill depots, both of which were fairly full.

I returned to Glasgow Central, bought a few supplies for the evening and then heading out on a train to my guesthouse for the night in Barrhead. My accommodation was a five minutes’ walk away from the station, up a hill opposite the entrance. On first impressions it looked like the Bates Motel from the film “Psycho”, but I was greeted by a lovely elderly Scotsman and his South Korean wife, really nice people who made me feel very welcome, the accommodation was great and the bed was better than my own, I slept through solid until 07.00 the next morning, and despite the set backs, it was a great first day was had.

shredder1

Established Member
Carlisle & Glasgow. Day 2. Sunday 28th November 2021.

I was up for 07.00 at the Glasgow Emo guest house, Barrhead, the host made me an excellent breakfast completed with square sausage, you have to eat square sausages in Scotland, its the law. Glasgow has a great suburban rail network, but for some reason trains are always a little late starting on a Sunday morning.

The first train out of Barrhead for Glasgow Central was at 09.20, it had snowed in the night and was a lovely snowy morning. A two-car class 156 Sprinter took us into Glasgow. I was soon down on the underground platforms and on the first train up to Milngavie which was a paired class 320 and class 318 units. I returned on the same train as far as Partick and next boarded a train, back under the City, and out to Springburn, once the location of the, sadly missed, railway workshops which built locomotives for all over the World, I could find little trace of them.

Returning from Springburn to Partick, the latter being one of the busiest stations on the Glasgow suburban network, I spent a little time on the station before returning to Glasgow Central for my final photographs before heading south. All lines were open again and trains running south, I only had the choice of one Transpennine service back towards Manchester and this was the 14.05 to Liverpool Lime Street, change at Wigan, where I picked up a Manchester Airport Nova 2 back into Manchester Piccadilly and then a bus home, it had been quite an adventure, but all worked out well in the end, many thanks for reading.

shredder1

Established Member
Newcastle & Tyne and Wear. Saturday Sunday 4th 5th December 2021.

Not being one to miss a bargain I was on another Transpennine Club 55 ticket and for £20 you can’t go wrong. This weekend I was heading up to Newcastle on the Tyne, a region I’m quite fond of, full of history and a place I visit every few years. I was aiming for the Tyne and Wear Network, the little Metro-Cammell units, built between 1979 and 1981, class 994`s and due to be replaced by a new class 555, so I thought I’d best have another ride around the Network, before they are replaced.

It was an early start with a rainy one mile walk into my nearest village, Middleton North Manchester to catch a 04.30 bus into Manchester city centre and then Manchester Victoria for the first Newcastle Transpennine of the day at 06.45. I do like my early starts and long days and I was rewarded with a Transpennine Cat class 68030 “Black Douglas” purring in the station and ready for its first run of the day to Liverpool.

Catching up with some sleep on the journey up to Newcastle, it wasn’t long before we pulled into this wonderful north-eastern city, a great ride on the Transpennine Nova 1, class 803, although I would have preferred a Peak. The first thing that struck me on arrival was the lack of a Class 67 parked up on Thunderbird duties to the side of the station, maybe the new Azuma`s don’t need to use them.

After a look around the station, I was soon buying my all-day Metro rover, £5.40 for all zones, and I was down under the tunnels on the Tyne and Wear Metro network and heading out to the Airport. Not the best day for photography, a bit wet an overcast, but what can you expect in November I suppose. From the Airport I travelled down to Felling and Pelaw, two good photographic locations on the Metro. This was followed by a train out to South Sheilds to see the new station.

South Sheilds, the new station has been moved a few hundred yards east of its original siting, and is now part of the bus station for an interchange, they have done a good job of it and it does have a much more moderner look than the old station. A gap between the shops and the railway now stands where the old station use to be and the platform is still in-situ and visible from the new station, with the single line continuing to the sidings beyond, but I don’t think it is in use anymore.

From South Sheilds I took a train to Hebburn for some location photographs and then with a change at Pelaw, a train to South Hylton the end of the line via Sunderland. I returned to St Peter`s Sunderland, another location I enjoy for its photographic opportunities, before returning to Newcastle, as I was hoping to catch up with the Pathfinder Tour that was running from Cardiff to Newcastle. The tour was running late and I arrived just in time to capture it arriving behind Class 50`s 50007 "Hercules", but it had 50034 "Furious" on one side just for a bit of fun, and 50034 "Defiance". They looked magnificent and I hung around the station until they went down to Heaton sheds and return for the return journey. In fact, I bumped into a mate from my Czech Trips, who was travelling on it, “Gary”, nice to catch up mate.

On my wanderings around the station, I noticed a tourist gift stall, selling station totem sign fridge magnets of stations in the region, so that was another £100 spent for the collection. I later took a train out to Whitley Bay, a town I tend to stay in when I’m in the region, and they offer some good out of season prices on accommodation. A bag of chips from the chip shop near the station, to eat on my 5-minute walk to the Hotel. I stayed in the Windsor Hotel for £33 for the night and an extra £8.50 for a breakfast, the breakfast was overpriced, but alright I suppose, but I wouldn’t order another one. The room was great with underfloor heating, but raging storm in the night woke me up a few times and I thought the hotel was going to be washed into the sea at times, exciting stuff.

Sunday morning and still a bit drizzly, although the winds had ceased, as I made my way back to Whitley Bay station and headed back towards Newcastle. My first stop was the excellent market on the station at Tynemouth, I usually try to visit when I’m in the area, it is one of the biggest around and always interesting to have a walk around, they seem to sell everything.

I later returned to Newcastle Central, bought some supplies for the train journey and caught the 14.05 Transpennine Nova 1, class 802, direct to Manchester Victoria, and again sleeping a lot of the way, arriving back by around 17.30 for a nice clear ride and after the bus ride home I was back in the house for 18.30 on the Sunday evening, another good weekend away thanks to Transpennine.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Edinburgh and Glasgow. Saturday Sunday 11th 12th December 2021.

I just couldn't resist the last weekend of the Transpenning Club 55 tickets, so I decided to head back north of the border again and revisit a few more lines around suburban Glasgow. I was on the first bus from my nearest village Middleton, and had a mile to walk for the 04.45 bus into Manchester and then a walk across Manchester to Piccadilly station for the 06.27 to Edinburgh.

Déjà vu was playing up again as we arrived into Carlisle and the train was cancelled, but this week it was apparently a signalling problem and we were told we could board the next Avanti service to Edinburgh, so again we were stuck at Carlisle, but this week only for around an hour and the signals appeared to work fine for the Avanti Pendolino.

On arrival into Edinburgh, the Class 385`s now rule the roost on many of the services, especially on the direct Edinburgh to Glasgow`s, which have really quick turnarounds, although I do miss the top and tail class 27`s.

I caught a Glasgow bound service and I alighted at Coatbridge Sunnyside. I hadn’t visited the museum for a few years and wanted to see what progress they had made on the class 311, I was a fan of the old Glasgow Blue Trains, the classes 303`s and 311`s.

The rain was heavy as I walked around to the Summerlee Museum, Coatbridge, Sunnyside is actually the nearest station to the museum, but you have to walk past Coatbridge Central to get to the entrance. The Christmas season was well in hand at the museum with a road train taking children around the museum grounds and I also saw Santa, (or one of them at least).

My first stop was the Garratt locomotive which looked in a far worst condition than when I last visited it, indeed parts of the body are distinctly being eaten away with rust, I do wish some group would take care of this locomotive and at lease get it under cover somewhere.

I walked around to the old mining section and the three industrial locomotives were pretty much in the same state, and yes you`ve guessed it, the last surviving Class 311 was also in a very sorry state, outside to the elements and in scrap yard condition. I do hope these fine machines are renovated and taken care of before they get to a point of no return, it’s such a shame to see them like this.

After a coffee in the museum café and to get dried off a little, I returned to Coatbridge Central station, the old station building is still in situ and in use as a shop of types, it’s been renovated and is in excellent condition. I made my way up the steps to Central station, but a number of trains had been cancelled in both directions, due to a staff member becoming sick apparently, in fact this seemed to be a message I got all weekend with cancellations, the staff must have been going down like flies.

I walked back up the hill to Coatbridge Sunnyside and caught the next train towards Glasgow, although alighting at Bellgrove, as I still wanted to photograph a few of Glasgow’s inner suburban stations and services. From Bellgrove I travelled to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and went up to the main station to see if any HST`s were around, but there wasn’t any, returning to the Low-Level platforms I next took a class 318 out to Springburn and returned on it on its full route to Milngavie, and then back as far as Partick, for a change to a class 320 down to Larkhall. Returning on that service up to Dalmuir via the Yoker line. Plenty of units on the depot at Yoker as we passed.

I returned from Dalmuir with a Class 320 to Charing Cross, Glasgow and my bed for the night. I was staying at the Staysafe hostel again, £30 for a 4-bed dorm, but I had it to myself. I was showered and out for a meal in a local restaurant and then returned for an earlyish night and slept right through until 07.00 Sunday morning.

Sunday morning was damp, but no rain, so I walked to Glasgow Central station and took breakfast in Tim Horton`s. I made my way to the underground platforms and caught a class 320 up to Westerton with a change of trains, for the Singer line to Dalmuir and from Dalmuir, a train back under the city to High Street, before returning to Queen Street main station and catching a class 185 across to Edinburgh.

Eastfield depot appears to be shedding the class 185`s now, with a few more lines in place for storage, as the train moved beyond Eastfield, I noticed some new sidings being built with a number of HST`s parked on them, apparently this is Cadder Depot, so it looks like the HST`s in Scotland will be staying for a while.

Arriving into Edinburgh Waverley and after buying a few supplies for the trip home, I caught the 14.15 Nova 2 direct to Manchester Piccadilly and I was lucky to get a seat, as apparently two previous trains had been cancelled, so many passengers had to stand in the aisles as far as Carlisle and beyond.

I was lucky with my bus home, only a few minutes wait from Piccadilly Gardens, another great weekend away, thank you Transpennine.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Nice trip report from my old stamping ground. Glad you had a good weekend, despite the usual seasonal West of Scotland weather! One small correction, if I may: When you refer to class 185 units, I think you are referring to the ScotRail class 385 EMUs. Lots of trains in Scotland are currently being cancelled due to drivers having to self-isolate after having been 'pinged' by the Scottish NHS track-and-trace system.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The pinging is still going on up there? Yikes! I know of nobody who uses that app these days!

I too was confused with the 185 thing, before I twigged it was a typo for 385s. I do like those trains, need to go back up there next year. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't make it up there in 2021, almost always venture north of the border at least once a year!

It sounds like you had a good time, despite the delays and cancellations. The museum sounds worth a visit, I'll have to try and remember it