• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Tube Stock (Siemens Inspiro)

Lockwood

Is that blue line a tfl branding "the bottom is blue, here is more blue to break up the white space" thing, or will we see red lines, brown lines, teal lines as the stock gets put out on other lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is that blue line a tfl branding "the bottom is blue, here is more blue to break up the white space" thing, or will we see red lines, brown lines, teal lines as the stock gets put out on other lines?
I do think any other colour apart from red would look nasty.

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
The Bakerloo and Piccadilly ones might look the same or very similar... The Central and Waterloo and City trains will be slightly different

TRAX

Established Member
I think it will stay blue but a line-coloured cheatline could be interesting

thomalex

I presume they've gone with white again for the body? There were some renders with silver which would have been something a bit different, and a nice throwback to the unpainted days

b08aa9fd095e4f7c9a6fc19e63a93959.jpeg

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
I presume they've gone with white again for the body? There were some renders with silver which would have been something a bit different, and a nice throwback to the unpainted days
Maybe the new paints make graffiti removal easier than anodised aluminium.

Recessio

View attachment 117556
I think this looks more sleek/modern, provided they maintained its cleanliness so it didn't just look they ran out of money for paint.

I also much preferred the interiors on those initial renders, but I wonder if the oxblood tile-esque colouring for the interior wasn't as good for accessibility or something...

Goldfish62

Established Member
Maybe the new paints make graffiti removal easier than anodised aluminium.
That's why the current livery was introduced over 30 years ago.

I also much preferred the interiors on those initial renders, but I wonder if the oxblood tile-esque colouring for the interior wasn't as good for accessibility or something...
The original renders were back when it was known as New Tube for London and was a pastiche of the 1938 stock, just like the New Bus for London / New Routemaster / Borismaster / Roastmaster (in this weather) was a pastiche of the original Routemaster.

AM9

Veteran Member
That's why the current livery was introduced over 30 years ago.

So it's better that any new livery benefits from such paint advances rather than change for change's sake which makes vandalism more expensive to deal with.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So it's better that any new livery benefits from such paint advances rather than change for change's sake which makes vandalism more expensive to deal with.
Indeed, no one in their right minds would return to unpainted aluminum.

TRAX

Established Member
How much of the Underground livery is vinyled anyway, if any of it is ?

YSTrains

On Moderation
Will the platform edge doors be installed after the full introduction of the NTfL? It would make sense for that to happen after the 1973 stock retires.

100andthirty

Will the platform edge doors be installed after the full introduction of the NTfL? It would make sense for that to happen after the 1973 stock retires.
All that's in place at the moment is funding for the provision of the trains. There is no money to install new signalling; a useful way of controlling any PEDs. Current LU practice is to provide enhanced services with ATO with a person in the cab observing the way ahead and controlling the doors. Any move to take the person out of the cab was to be the trigger for PEDs. So, if someone stumps up the money, the trains could be followed by the signalling and ATO. Then the PEDs could be fitted with everything else required to enable "driverless" operation.

There is no way PEDs could be fitted whilst 1973 tube stock is still around as its door positions are completely different from 2024 tube stock. I'm sure this issue is challenging anyone in LU who might be thinking about eventually replacing the Jubilee line trains.

stuu

Established Member
there is no proposal to install PEDs.
TfL included them in a video about the upgrade some time in the past, although that may have been to please the previous mayor, rather than a serious proposition

Recessio

There is no way PEDs could be fitted whilst 1973 tube stock is still around as its door positions are completely different from 2024 tube stock. I'm sure this issue is challenging anyone in LU who might be thinking about eventually replacing the Jubilee line trains.

The door positions on the 96 stock (and 95 stock) were originally a compromise for when they planned to retain and renovate the 1983 stock on the JLE, right? Nice to see the 1983 stock's doors will ultimately continue to cause issues whenever the 96 are replaced, probably up to six decades after the 83s entered service!

100andthirty

But those door positions were the standard ones used on all tube trains of the era; there's really no relevance to the 1983 tube stick proposal that was, I seem to recall, abandoned before ant PED design was started. 1996 tube stock door positions are almost the same as on 1973 tube stock.

Recessio

But those door positions were the standard ones used on all tube trains of the era; there's really no relevance to the 1983 tube stick proposal that was, I seem to recall, abandoned before ant PED design was started. 1996 tube stock door positions are almost the same as on 1973 tube stock.
Yes, you're completely right in fact. Think I've been getting my stocks confused, was totally wrong about the 83 having look at some pictures.

Snow1964

Established Member
A small status update is in the TfL Board Finance report (pack page 50)

We completed assembly of the first of nine cars for the first new Piccadilly line train, including applying the TfL livery.

Piccadilly line upgrade
Delivery fleet introduction
We completed assembly of the first of nine cars for the first new Piccadilly line train, including applying the TfL livery. This was our first strategic milestone for the year, and was delivered early. Completion enables the car to move to the next stage of manufacture, which includes installation of internal equipment, and for the next cars to commence assembly.
Depots and Stabling
We have successfully completed installation of track and signalling works for the first four roads at South Harrow sidings, as well as new driver walkways and driver access platforms. The bringing into use of stabling for four trains was achieved at South Harrow sidings on 6 July.
Power
The high-voltage power framework was signed and first two call-off contracts awarded. This will enable us to start delivering crucial substation upgrades at Sudbury Hill, Northfields and Cockfosters, and complex upgrades at Cobourg Street and Manor House.

Snow1964

Established Member
Some more updates taken from Programmes and Investment Committee of TfL Board

4.9 The new, higher capacity Siemens trains will be fully accessible and feature walk- through interiors, saloon air-cooling (for the first time on a deep tube train) and all- double doorways to improve boarding and alighting. Modern audio/visual communication systems will include digital display screens for customer information and advertising, a new CCTV system for the train operator to view the platform and train interface from the driving cab and improved customer security cameras.
4.10 Following achievement of the key Tier 1 Final Design milestone in 2021, the manufacturing contract with Siemens Mobility Limited has progressed further with the start of assembly of the first new vehicles in Vienna during autumn 2021.

Construction progress is one set of bodyshells
4.11 The first vehicle underframes and bodyshells have been assembled and finished in the TfL corporate livery scheme for ‘first in type’ acceptance prior to series production.
4.12 Siemens have progressed with the procurement and manufacture of key sub- system elements of the train, including underframe equipment, the propulsion system and train door system. The first fully assembled train is scheduled for completion by summer 2023 and will then undergo an extensive programme of pre-delivery reliability proving at Siemens’ Test and Validation centre in Westphalia, Germany.

First train in service now summer 2025
4.13 Despite the resourcing challenges referred to above, the programme currently remains on target to receive the first train to London for testing on the Piccadilly line in summer 2024 with the first train scheduled to enter passenger service in summer 2025.

4.14 Construction of Siemens’ c.£200m UK train manufacturing facility in Goole, East Yorkshire is nearing completion with the train assembly hall to commence production in early 2024. This facility is creating an estimated 700 skilled jobs. It has also enabled an estimated 250 jobs during construction and up to 1,700 indirectly in the supply chain. The new UK rail manufacturing facility will support around 80 graduates and apprentices and will be complemented by the recently opened Rail Accelerator and Innovation Solutions hub for Enterprise (RaisE) campus for industry research and development. Once completed, it is expected that approximately 50 per cent of the new Piccadilly line trains will be assembled at the new UK facility in Goole.

Snow1964

Established Member
If anyone wants some long bedtime reading, a redacted copy of the new train award to Siemens Mobility Limited is now in public domain. (warning it is 648 pages, although there is index near the start). There are lots of specifications if anyone wants details of the new stock.

Snow1964

Established Member

DavyCrocket

After the death of a member of the public who had fallen between train and platform at Waterloo, but not been noticed, one of the recommendations in the report was that the “skirt” of the car should be a lighter rather than darker colour, so that someone may be more easily visible. Hopefully this will actually happen

TRAX

Established Member
This has been missed here as the picture from TfL dates back from October, but production of the first 2024 Tube Stock car is underway at the Siemens plant in Vienna. It has no doubt evolved quite a bit since then.

44AB0170-A9DA-4634-8BF6-D7AC7084C7F3.jpeg

popeter45

strange to see clearly under the hood areas (the front part that will have the cab or a gangway in front of it) painted