• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Tube Stock (Siemens Inspiro)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Although probably true in the context of UK stock over the last two to three decades.
And elsewhere. Seems that OBB are not happy with their late and unreliable Tallent 3s so have ordered more Desiros instead.

Wolfie

Established Member
Today, Siemens’ social media accounts have presented the final design of the new Piccadilly line tube trains.

View attachment 91843

Here is the press release with a lot of information and a few pictures, outside and inside: https://www.mobility.siemens.com/gl...nces/metro-london.html?linkId=300000000971683

As well as a datasheet with some technical information: https://assets.new.siemens.com/siem...ity-piccadilly-line-tube-train-data-sheet.pdf
Sorry but that is downright ugly.

I assume that the articulated bogies means that there are fewer wheels under each carriage which therefore provides the room for the A/C equipment.

Looking at the pictures, are there any luggage areas? Have these been sacrificed to provide the greater capacity?

Edit: to correct my lousy spelling!
That's clever.

Hope they arrive before 2025 I want those old trains gone!
No chance. Frankly slippage is far more likely. The 73 stock are way better than the 72 stock on the Bakerloo line, which has no set replacement date, either.

Have you failed to notice the statement about 9-car trains, where the current 1973 Tube Stock maxes-out platform lengths with only 6 cars?

20 axles* is not a vast reduction from 24 (and for all we know the total train weight might well be lower too), but articulation is far far gentler when trying to avoid track wear on corners.

*22 axles if these are configured as half-train units, despite having no cabs in the middle, just like S Stock
A useful explanation, TY.

Why are you not a fan ?
I can mostly see advantages.

I believe TfL names stock when the first one gets delivered, so as this is planned for 2025, I’d say 2025 Stock ?
That's true for deep tube stock. Not for stock on the cut and cover lines (S stock etc)....

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
A roadshow is now moving around Piccadilly Line trainstaff depots showcasing trial drivers cab seating, with different cushion and back designs to gauge driver favourites.

Confirmation in the posters shown of the “2024TS” or “24TS” designation and that only half the Piccadilly fleet will be built in the UK.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I quite like the design. The main thing I dislike is the tiny windows, though looking at the inside mockups it doesn't look too claustrophobic.

(Of course th e deep-level tube isn't famed for its scenic views anyway :))

Journeyman

Established Member
But both descriptions are personal opinions, not absolute fact. :)
Personally I think they look great, a very striking mix of modern with traditional LT design touches. Certainly better looking than the S and 2009 stocks, which were beaten senseless with the ugly stick.

Mikey C

Established Member
I quite like the design. The main thing I dislike is the tiny windows, though looking at the inside mockups it doesn't look too claustrophobic.

(Of course th e deep-level tube isn't famed for its scenic views anyway :))
The window size difference will only be noticeable when a similar design replaces the 92 stock on the Central Line

py_megapixel

Established Member
The window size difference will only be noticeable when a similar design replaces the 92 stock on the Central Line
The '92 stock has unusually large windows for a deep tube train anyway. tbh I can't say I like how those feel inside - too much murky grey panelling!

AM9

Veteran Member
The '92 stock has unusually large windows for a deep tube train anyway. tbh I can't say I like how those feel inside - too much murky grey panelling!
The '92 stock does trave quite a distance above ground where the large windows are welcome.

Wolfie

Established Member
Noticeable in that replacing a mobile greenhouse means that even without aircon things should be much cooler!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I think the smaller windows will allow them to fit a less powerful HVAC system as the trains would take less effort to heat/cool, thus the HVAC units can be smaller and lighter, am I correct?

TRAX

Established Member
I think the smaller windows will allow them to fit a less powerful HVAC system as the trains would take less effort to heat/cool, thus the HVAC units can be smaller and lighter, am I correct?
Seems logical to me. Whereas it’s the main reason or not I’m not sure. The 2009 Stock has small windows and no A/C.

AM9

Veteran Member
Seems logical to me. Whereas it’s the main reason or not I’m not sure. The 2009 Stock has small windows and no A/C.
I doubt that it makes much different unless the train is standing in the sun for a long period.

TRAX

Established Member
I doubt that it makes much different unless the train is standing in the sun for a long period.
Which can be the case one lines with long outdoor sections and exterior depots.