• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sir John Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
Sir John Hurt has passed away today...

BBC.co.uk Sir John Hurt's wife, Anwen, has led tributes to the veteran actor after he died at the age of 77.
The Bafta-winning star, known for his roles in Alien and The Elephant Man, had been treated for pancreatic cancer in 2015.
Sir John's wife said he had brought "joy and magic" and it would be a "strange world without him".
He recently starred as Father Richard McSorley in Jackie, the biopic of President John F Kennedy's wife.
Despite being given the all-clear from cancer, he last year pulled out of Sir Kenneth Branagh's production of The Entertainer on the advice of his doctors.
Lady Hurt confirmed Sir John had died on Wednesday at his home in Norfolk.
"John was the most sublime of actors and the most gentlemanly of gentlemen with the greatest of hearts and the most generosity of spirit," she said in a statement.
"He touched all our lives with joy and magic and it will be a strange world without him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38778145

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Blimey that's a suprise I only saw him in "Jackie" earlier in the week. He did look a bit haggard but I thought that was make up.

Always remember him for Midnight Express and The Elephant Man a fine Actor. Also Doctor Who recently.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'Naked Civil Servant' was brilliant, because Quentin Crisp, on whose life it was based, was always being interviewed on television and even called himself a 'media tart'! John Hurt didn't try to mimic him but succeeded tremendously (for me at least) in conveying his essence.

Butts

Veteran Member
'Naked Civil Servant' was brilliant, because Quentin Crisp, on whose life it was based, was always being interviewed on television and even called himself a 'media tart'! John Hurt didn't try to mimic him but succeeded tremendously (for me at least) in conveying his essence.

Crikey, that's a blast from the past - Seventies ??

A whole different ball game for non-hetrosexuals in those days. :idea:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Doctor Who, Harry Potter, V For Vendetta and Indiana Jones are the ones that I remember him from.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Being one of the more elderly on the website, I was really impressed by a young John Hurt interpretation of the part of Timothy John Evans in the 1971 film version of 10 Rillington Place.

I wonder if many of the younger website members have seen the 1971 film.

Butts

Veteran Member
Being one of the more elderly on the website, I was really impressed by a young John Hurt interpretation of the part of Timothy John Evans in the 1971 film version of 10 Rillington Place.

I wonder if many of the younger website members have seen the 1971 film.

Yes I remember the X Certificate 10 Rillington Place - it is on telly every now and then.

There was a pathetic reboot starring Tim Roth on BBC last year - not a patch on the one you are referring to.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Crikey, that's a blast from the past - Seventies ??

A whole different ball game for non-hetrosexuals in those days. :idea:

Hurt's good friend and fellow actor Charles Dance was talking about him on 'Front Row' tonight. He was asked which of his approx. 250 films Dance particularly commended and, after a short pause, he nominated 'Naked Civil Servant'.

He was also pretty good in '1984'.

Status
Not open for further replies.