• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness 2021 replacement for usual hst sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

Why not borrow some spare Chiltern Silver sets for weekend working? Based at Stourbridge they are only an hour and a half from Derby and could do the Skegness diagrams from there? Much nicer than dmus and would attract gricers too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Why not borrow some spare Chiltern Silver sets for weekend working? Based at Stourbridge they are only an hour and a half from Derby and could do the Skegness diagrams from there? Much nicer than dmus and would attract gricers too!
Haven't those only got 6 coaches? And one of those is a premier class vehicle. On the whole a 6 car 170 is probably more suitable.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Who would crew them ?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Much nicer than dmus and would attract gricers too!

Neither of which will bring in enough money to cover the cost of the hire as the majority of punters would travel regardless of what type of train it is.

Who would crew them ?

Spot on, hired in drivers with route conductors is presumably what the OP had in mind and the same for guards. Adding yet more expense onto a route which generally attracts relatively low priced tickets.

Overall a very expensive solution to a problem which is better solved by other means.

adamedwards

In Scotland 153s have been turned in to bike and hiker van and seat cars, so could a 153 with seats removed for bags be cheaply converted and used? Any on boarding at Nottingham with big suitcases gets the 153 to sit in.

LowLevel

Established Member

They'd be expensive to run, attract more random rail enthusiasts which isn't the purpose of the train and the Chiltern sets are set up as low density home counties people movers - not huge numbers of seats and not a huge advantage in luggage space either - DVT has a donkey engine in it and weren't some of the carriage stacks removed for power door fitment?

All in all more trouble than they're worth I think.

On Moderation
In Scotland 153s have been turned in to bike and hiker van and seat cars, so could a 153 with seats removed for bags be cheaply converted and used? Any on boarding at Nottingham with big suitcases gets the 153 to sit in.
The trains that the HSTs worked were basically full with people with big suitcases, which is why they were ideal for those services: luggage space in power car vans, TGS vans and mid-coach luggage stacks as well as those at the vehicle ends. All-in-all, an excellent solution for passengers and operator.

Quite why people want to spend a week in Skegness is still utterly unfathomable, though.... It's still the coastal town they forgot to close down!

CW2

Established Member
The trains that the HSTs worked were basically full with people with big suitcases, which is why they were ideal for those services: luggage space in power car vans, TGS vans and mid-coach luggage stacks as well as those at the vehicle ends. All-in-all, an excellent solution for passengers and operator.

Quite why people want to spend a week in Skegness is still utterly unfathomable, though.... It's still the coastal town they forgot to close down!
Are you suggesting that Skegness is a last resort?
(I'll get my coat ...)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

There is a Butlins there

High Dyke

Established Member
You've clearly never been to Clacton! o_O

At least the TOC abandoned the idea of putting the HST into the path of a regular service train. This meant that some stations then had to be served by road transport, which defeated the purpose of having a train running. At least if DMU's provide additional services they have the ability to stop at many of the intermediate stations.

MichaelAMW

Would it be fair to say - I emphasise that I don't know a great deal deal about the relevant overlap between traction and route knowledge - that if you wanted to use free Meridian capacity at weekends you would use them on the Lincoln - Leicester trains and thereby free up some units for the Skegness line? I say this based on the fact that there is a Lincoln - London train every day, but I obviously don't know if that means an all-day service using Meridians could be provided.

Whistler40145

Established Member
If you want to do something crazy, hire in a nice Blue and Grey Mark 2 Air Con set from Rivera Trains plus two of Harry Needle's Class 20s and recreate the days of the real Jolly Fisherman

LowLevel

Established Member
If you want to do something crazy, hire in a nice Blue and Grey Mark 2 Air Con set from Rivera Trains plus two of Harry Needle's Class 20s and recreate the days of the real Jolly Fisherman

Not going to happen. The antics of a few last year sadly have reduced the chance of anything interesting occurring to zero. It'll be some form of release of 15x and 170 somehow.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not going to happen. The antics of a few last year sadly have reduced the chance of anything interesting occurring to zero. It'll be some form of release of 15x and 170 somehow.
Anything that doesn't include Class 153s has to be an improvement

On Moderation
The idea is to transport the great unwashed of Langley Mill to their holidays, not operate a magnet for imbeciles.

richardderby

Definitely no meridians or HSTs planned this year.. From EMR..
Thanks for your email of 06 April 2021 regarding our summer services to Skegness.

I have liaised with our timetable and resource planning team, and can confirm that our Weekday services we will mainly operate 3 or 4 car trains. We plan to operate 3 car services on Sundays with selected services operating as 2 cars.

The Saturday service will consist of 7 trains operating as 4 cars, with the remainder running as 3 cars.

I do hope this helps. If you do require any additional information, please do let me know

WesternLancer

Established Member
Definitely no meridians or HSTs planned this year.. From EMR..
Thanks for your email of 06 April 2021 regarding our summer services to Skegness.

I have liaised with our timetable and resource planning team, and can confirm that our Weekday services we will mainly operate 3 or 4 car trains. We plan to operate 3 car services on Sundays with selected services operating as 2 cars.

The Saturday service will consist of 7 trains operating as 4 cars, with the remainder running as 3 cars.

I do hope this helps. If you do require any additional information, please do let me know
This does not sound like a recipe for success....

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Can’t imagine there being much difference in seating capacity between a 4 car 156 and an HST.

Bear in mind of the 6 coaches of an EMR HST, over half of one vehicle is buffet space and the remaining section of that vehicle along with one other coach is low density first class.

Seating capacity I can’t see being much difference but there is obviously a loss of luggage capacity.

TheBigD

Established Member
Can’t imagine there being much difference in seating capacity between a 4 car 156 and an HST.

Bear in mind of the 6 coaches of an EMR HST, over half of one vehicle is buffet space and the remaining section of that vehicle along with one other coach is low density first class.

Seating capacity I can’t see being much difference but there is obviously a loss of luggage capacity.
4 car 156 approx 275 seats
8 car HST approx 470 seats (as used in previous years)
As the EMR HSTs are now 6 car that's approx 350 seats.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Yes, tho of course last time the service was HST they were 8 cars as mentioned. The one I was on was pretty full too.

Given other post I doubt c75 people will want to stand on a 156, 4 car train. Plus luggage....

And a lot of people who use the train to Skeg for hols are households with no car access as an alternative choice.

So this is not ideal

Scott1

Unfortunately the issues with the drop lights required a steward by every door on the Skegness train in recent times, an issue that doesn't exist on any other HST service EMR operate. A Meridian doesn't help because the bigger issue is luggage capacity, which means the only option was for EMR to use the regional trains, since a Meridian doesn't actually provide much in terms of extra seats versus a 15x/170 or keep a HST for it, if they could get permission from the DfT and once you factor in the cost of keeping the train in service just for Skegness and all the extra staffing required to stop fools hanging out the windows then it doesn't make economic sense.

There's no denying it is a problem, but there's no good solution. Personally I'd have liked the HST to remain for its luggage space, however the behaviour last year has definitely killed that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.