• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sold off-peak ticket on peak time journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

A few days ago I was sold an off-peak ticket onboard the train for a peak time journey. (The guard was rushing to sell tickets and I asked for a slightly different one to everyone else.)

Upon reaching my destination the person manning the barrier had a look at the ticket and asked me if I had just bought it on the train, he then said "It's not your fault, go on through".

I was obviously quite happy with the customer service I received. But I'd like to know if that is standard policy across the network - would an RPI be so lenient?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
A PF could not be issued in these circumstances (if your ticket is only invalid due to the time of day) nor would they have been able to force you to buy a new ticket. The only way of resolving it would have been to charge can excess fare, which would have meant you would have paid no more then the fare you should have paid anyway.

najaB

Veteran Member
I was obviously quite happy with the customer service I received. But I'd like to know if that is standard policy across the network - would an RPI be so lenient?
I don't know about policy, but it would be bad form for a TOC to attempt to prosecute in that situation. I suppose a keen RPI might ask you to pay the difference in fare.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It would be good to know details of the journey undertaken. The guard could well have been right and the barrier assistant wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.