• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Somers Town? Coach Stn

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

MAny years ago I had to catch a coach to Luton Airport from what appeared to be an old Coal Yard in what I think is now called Somers Town ( it probably was then as well) Does anybody have any knowledge or information about this place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
The site of the former Somers Town Goods Station next to St Pancras. Now occupied by the British Library.
It was used by British Coachways who didn't have access to Victoria Coach Station.

I had a look at the site once and don't recall any facilities beyond a portakabin.

quarella

Kings Cross Coach Station, as mentioned above now the site of the British Library. It made Gloucester Road Coach station seem positively palatial.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not only were there no facilities, it wasn't asphalted and was full of potholes, which filled with dirty water. A great advert for privatised, deregulated coaching! A few years earlier I'd worked right opposite it, when it was boarded up.

6Gman

Established Member
Cheeky buggers sent passengers who wanted a toilet across the road to use the BR facilities at St Pancras!

PeterC

Established Member
Seamarks used to ferry package tour passengers from London to Luton. The first time that I went abroad in the 60s we went from a depot somewhere near the Euston Road but that was back in the 60s, long before British Coachways.

There have been a succession of coach stations in the area going back to pre war times.

pitdiver

Seamarks used to ferry package tour passengers from London to Luton. The first time that I went abroad in the 60s we went from a depot somewhere near the Euston Road but that was back in the 60s, long before British Coachways.

There have been a succession of coach stations in the area going back to pre war times.
That was it Peter, Seamarks was the Coach Company. I don't know how true it was but I heard that Seamarks were the only company allowed to operate coaches into Luton Airport.
I also remember catching a coach from underneath Euson Stn itself.

Wirewiper

There was also a coach stop in the vicinity, known as "57 Pancras Road". Some services, e.g. the Whippet Coaches service to Huntingdon and Papworth commenced from there.

In the pre-deregulation era there was also a "Kings Cross Coach Station" just off Caledonian Road, this was a proper purpose-built facility and was used by the Ewer Group's East Anglian Express services amongst others; and a coach station in Judd Street that was used by the famous Birch Brothers 203 service to Bedford and Rushden amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.