• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs where you go “Aargh” and lurch for the Off button

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Anything by The Cure.

Not for musical reasons by for guilt by association. Friday I'm in Love in particular can go jump in a big fire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
Nelly and Kelly- Dilemma (sounds like a nursery rhyme)
Toploader- Dancing In The Moonlight (so ruddy smug!)
Beyonce- All The Single Ladies (it's like being hit on the head with a mallet repeatedly)

Worm

I’m a big fan of Smooth Radio but I’m sick of the same two George Michael and Whitney Houston songs they play everyday, several times a day.

I’ve also threatened to make my classes listen to Nickleback while they complete their work if talking too loud and I’ve got to quieten them. Don’t think the college would like me too much though for actually doing it :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
2 songs which I try and turn over the radio if they come on:
B52s - Love Shack
Clash - Rock the Casbah

Plus anything by Justin Bieber (which thankfully isn't a lot unless I end up on Heart on the car radio when jumping stations due to adverts or the DJ telling everybody about his weekend of cutting the grass etc)

lxfe_mxtterz

Pretty much anything by Beyoncé - with top picks for making me want to scream being "Single Ladies" (which I note has also been mentioned above) and "Love On Top" which to me just sounds like a cacophony of screeching(!)

johnnychips

Established Member
Nelly and Kelly- Dilemma (sounds like a nursery rhyme)
Toploader- Dancing In The Moonlight (so ruddy smug!)
Beyonce- All The Single Ladies (it's like being hit on the head with a mallet repeatedly)
Yes, that Toploader one is a definite switch off.

I wish I hadn’t created this thread now as ’Young at Heart’ has been an ‘ear worm’ all bl*8dy day!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I like my trance however I've never been a Tiestö fan.
I like a lot of trance music but I don't think this song could possibly be placed in that category. Yes, Tiësto was originally known for trance music, but these days much less so.

satisnek

Any computer-generated thing from the last 35 years, really. But before that, there's just one: Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. Thankfully, I never had to play it during my time at hospital radio. I don't mind death discs, sentimental mush or spoken lyrics (even early rap), but all three put together is just too much. If I ever do have to play it, I'll probably do so at high speed. 8x produces a frenetic tinkling which is over and done with in less than 30 seconds. Indeed, I don't know why Pick Of The Pops and other retro chart shows don't use this technique for Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris, etc. instead of not playing the track at all.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
There is a song so awful that
This X Factor audition (although the dead silence in the theatre once they finish singing and the Judge's comments are worth watching).

That's not the worst ever! What about Abi... and Lisa... and together.. we are Abi and Lisa?

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds. The reason being that they were the best band in the world for their first five albums, and then hit the big time with that atrocity, so now whenever you tell anyone you love Simple Minds they say "I know them... Don't You Forget About Me?" and then you have to hide under your chair.

DannyMich2018

I’m a big fan of Smooth Radio but I’m sick of the same two George Michael and Whitney Houston songs they play everyday, several times a day.

I’ve also threatened to make my classes listen to Nickleback while they complete their work if talking too loud and I’ve got to quieten them. Don’t think the college would like me too much though for actually doing it :lol:
I agree completely about Smooth.
Yes George Michael and Whitney Houston were great artists but get far too much airplay compared to say David Bowie, Slade, the Beatles etc.

In terms of annoying songs there's one by Justin Timberlake from many years ago which I can't stand......-Sexyback- sounds like it stuck.

Typhoon

Established Member
Over orchestrialised and over choralised versions of 'Hallelujah', often (but not exclusively) to be heard in Cowell-type programmes, here and abroad. The song contains the words 'It's a cold and its a broken Hallelujah'. There is nothing cold or broken about them. By the time they end, they are polished and gleaming

To me the song oozes vulnerability, that is why I like Jeff Buckley's version of those I have heard (and I listened to more when writing this). There may be others but the minute the fifty piece orchestra comes in or the vocal 'do-do-do-do' it is time to move on. Silence is not a crime in a song.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Killers - Mr Brightside. I have heard this song way too many times for one lifetime. :frown:
Gotta be honest, I never really "got" how The Killers became so huge. They're okay, better than Oasis whose success will always be an even bigger mystery, but if they'd been on the scene in 1993-ish they'd have been buried by the competition.

SJL2020

Novelty songs, pretty much all of them.

Too many to mention by name, but especially ones that get played at weddings when the DJ is trying to get more people to dance.

prod_pep

Established Member
Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds. The reason being that they were the best band in the world for their first five albums, and then hit the big time with that atrocity, so now whenever you tell anyone you love Simple Minds they say "I know them... Don't You Forget About Me?" and then you have to hide under your chair.
One of, if not my outright favourite band. My personal Simple Minds greatest hits playlist has 32 tracks and suffice it to say that atrocity is not amongst them.

D821

That "Shut up and dance with me" song. Over used on Strictly and destined to be forever danced to by drunken aunties at weddings.

ABB125

Established Member
That "Shut up and dance with me" song. Over used on Strictly and destined to be forever danced to by drunken aunties at weddings.
Funny, I read this and the song immediately (literally; I go back to the homepage, and it starts!) comes on on the playlist at the event I'm currently at!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Rap music.
Anything else whose record sounds almost exactly like their previous & next records.
Most jazz.
Probably 75% of pop singles released since the 1970s. Many are so lame, boring & forgettable
Thrash metal. One Motorhead is just about tolerable; dozens of clones are best forgotten.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I agree completely about Smooth.
Yes George Michael and Whitney Houston were great artists but get far too much airplay compared to say David Bowie, Slade, the Beatles etc.

In terms of annoying songs there's one by Justin Timberlake from many years ago which I can't stand......-Sexyback- sounds like it stuck.

I tend to listen to Smooth every now and again on the car radio, usually when either Kate Garraway or Myleene Klass are presenting.

I have to say that Smooth seems to play the same bank of songs constantly day after day. The three Dirty Dancing tunes (Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes / Patrick Swayze / Eric Carmen) all seem to get regular airtime. I never used to mind any of these songs but they do grate on me a little these days.

CJ

nw1

Established Member
I went through a period of intolerance to certain types of music when I was younger (second half of my 20s, especially), when certain genres wound me up. Boybands, especially Westlife, would be the best example. I also went through a period of disliking "My Heart Will Go On" in 1998 due to excessive overplay.

Nowadays I'm much more live-and-let-live about music and nothing, including those songs I disliked when I was younger, provokes that much of a reaction from me, though (like most people do when they get older) I do think that most chart music sounds the same these days, and there is very little variety compared to the latter part of the 20th century or even very early years of the 21st.

Pinza-C55

Most songs by Abba, especially Fernando and Chiquitita.
Mull Of Kinytre - absolutely dire,
Sailing by Rod Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.