• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South TPE route should get a better service than at present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-nova-1-class-802-2-progress.163414/
It's what doubling the capacity does! I got a peak time service from Man Vic to Leeds yesterday and got a table to myself. Quite amusing watching about 100 fellow passengers try and cram on a late running 185 5 mins before the 802 came in, some people will never learn!

It may happen one day that the South Pennine route will finally get the 6 coach 185s promised for the last 2 or 3 years. 15 year old trains are seen as a step up on the Hope Valley route used to Northern's Pacers and now getting 35 year old 150s with 30 year old 158/156/153 units from East Midlands.

Very much the poor relations. If a Nova train ever comes our way it will be more unusual than seeing Galatea, Leander, Flying Scotsman, or Tornado.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LittleAH

It may happen one day that the South Pennine route will finally get the 6 coach 185s promised for the last 2 or 3 years. 15 year old trains are seen as a step up on the Hope Valley route used to Northern's Pacers and now getting 35 year old 150s with 30 year old 158/156/153 units from East Midlands.

Very much the poor relations. If a Nova train ever comes our way it will be more unusual than seeing Galatea, Leander, Flying Scotsman, or Tornado.

Hard to blame TPE for false promises when they've been been at the mercy of CAF. Plus there's no point TPE investing in 802's on a route with barely any electrification. The 185's are still a great train, much rather get on a 185 than a 195 that's for sure.

Jozhua

Established Member
Hard to blame TPE for false promises when they've been been at the mercy of CAF. Plus there's no point TPE investing in 802's on a route with barely any electrification. The 185's are still a great train, much rather get on a 185 than a 195 that's for sure.

I agree with not blaming TPE for fase promises, but yeah, it's very frustrating for us frequent South Transpennine users. There's much less frequency on Hope Valley, but a lot of demand, to the point where off peak services are still overcrowded and peak services you'll be lucky to stand.

The 185's are okay, toilet situation is not good and not really that many seats. If only MML at least had been electrified and possibly Hope Valley, 802's would have been perfect. :(

I will say though the 158's East Midlands use still feel like great trains, even more modern interior-wise than Voyagers and Turbos and arguably just as good from a noise/ride quality perspective. 156's and especially 153's not so great for the route...

Killingworth

Established Member
I agree with not blaming TPE for fase promises, but yeah, it's very frustrating for us frequent South Transpennine users. There's much less frequency on Hope Valley, but a lot of demand, to the point where off peak services are still overcrowded and peak services you'll be lucky to stand.

The 185's are okay, toilet situation is not good and not really that many seats. If only MML at least had been electrified and possibly Hope Valley, 802's would have been perfect. :(

I will say though the 158's East Midlands use still feel like great trains, even more modern interior-wise than Voyagers and Turbos and arguably just as good from a noise/ride quality perspective. 156's and especially 153's not so great for the route...

This is a digression, but a year or two ago I was talking to a fellow passenger as we waited for a delayed westbound 185 from Sheffield. I must have mentioned the Hope Valley scene and the requirement for an electricification compliant footbridge to replace a foot crossing at Hathersage. I expressed incredulity at £750,000 for such a bridge on a line unlikely to be wired.

He agreed, but said he'd wasted a year of his life working on a shelved plan to electrify the route. By the time the 802s are ready to be replaced, in 20-30 years, maybe the poor relations may benefit from cascades to a by then partially electrified line. That's after MML is wired up, of course.

yrreb

I'm happy to tell you that, while there may not be any new trains coming to the South route any time soon, there may be strengthening on three diagrams from next week and one of these is on the South route, all I recall is that it's the 15:53 off MIA

Jozhua

Established Member
I'm happy to tell you that, while there may not be any new trains coming to the South route any time soon, there may be strengthening on three diagrams from next week and one of these is on the South route, all I recall is that it's the 15:53 off MIA

Should I start a new thread for 185 strengthening on the south TPE route or is there already one?

Status
Not open for further replies.