• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Brissle Girl

Established Member
They undertook to retain heavy rail principals on the heavy rail aspects of CVL aka Rhymney and Coryton. TAM falls outside this commitment expect to see DOO on the TAM in time.
Surely if the intention is to move to DOO you do it before you double the headcount to cover the doubling of frequency, and before you set the precedent of the guards being involved in the doors process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
Mostly because the alternatives aren't much better. Most local news sites across the UK are so riddled with ads that they're almost unreadable. Reach is the worst offender.

I don't think there is much alternative if you actually want to read about Welsh issues, at least in traditional (in some sense) media.

Getting back to this thread, realtimetrains is showing a 231 running between Cardiff Central and Treherbert today (though I don't think one of the driving cars is really on the train back-to-front as shown...)

Signal_Box

Surely if the intention is to move to DOO you do it before you double the headcount to cover the doubling of frequency, and before you set the precedent of the guards being involved in the doors process.
Have they doubled the head count ? The commitment was “mainline” not heavy rail my mistake. I really hope I’m wrong as I’ve a number or friends who work on the TAM CVL lines but I’m sure the guard commitment was mainline and didn’t mention CVL, why make a distinction between the two if there wasn’t a plan to remove on one?

You remove the guard competency from CVL based crew reduce them to onboard supervisors until natural wastage allows a forced move aka southern. It’s the only way you’ll get the increased frequency and reduced dwell times CVL require.

On another note, on street running as been delayed again so the kill stone of tram trains won’t show any benefit over conventional trains for a few more years.

Also, on another note….the resignalling from Network Rail to CVL/Amey of the Rhymney / City and Queen Street area has also been delayed which in turn reduces the capacity improvements through Queen Street. Whispers are that this section may well stay with Network Rail under contract as it is kiwi just to push through the improvements sooner than later.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Have they doubled the head count ? The commitment was “mainline” not heavy rail my mistake. I really hope I’m wrong as I’ve a number or friends who work on the TAM CVL lines but I’m sure the guard commitment was mainline and didn’t mention CVL, why make a distinction between the two if there wasn’t a plan to remove on one?
In respect of the TAM lines (the ones where the debate over DOO operation is relevant), it's hard to see how you can double the frequency of services without doubling the headcount allocated to those services.

MikePJ

Getting back to this thread, realtimetrains is showing a 231 running between Cardiff Central and Treherbert today (though I don't think one of the driving cars is really on the train back-to-front as shown...)
Yup, saw one at Central.

Last edited:

MikePJ

Cardiff Bay this morning: looks like platform construction continues. Up by Butetown station I also saw tubular pile caps, which presumably will support overhead line masts in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 91

Signal_Box

In respect of the TAM lines (the ones where the debate over DOO operation is relevant), it's hard to see how you can double the frequency of services without doubling the headcount allocated to those services.

Drivers yes as they’ll be a required resource long term, conductor / guards on the other hand aren’t needed in their current form. The CVL is very much in line to become an oversized tram line network the all the cost savings thats brings.

Blackpool run with conductors on every tram but their sole role is ticket collection, I can see the CVL conductors going the same way unfortunately. No way you’ll have CVL conductors on £47k lob term it just doesn’t add up.

This document on the RMT website appears to confirm that safety-critical guards' duties will remain when the 398s and 756s are introduced on the CVL.

This document must not be shared without the permission of tfw….rmt share document for everyone to read.

They certainly want their monies worth for the 47k pa! The method of working looks very much like the Greater Anglia method, not surprising considering the traction is a sister of train.

Like I say I really hope I’m wrong when it comes to the long term future of rhe guard on CVL, but being a 25 year veteran of underhand dealings I won’t hold my breath on this one.

Last edited:

positron

I'm currently sat on what I assume is one (the newer trains that have been running on the rhymney line for a bit) at Cardiff central to Treherbert.

Have had to treble check 3 times to make sure I'm on the correct train!
They're going to be running them in the TAM lines every so often in the runup to the Eisteddfod where they're being deployed.

Bob Price

231010 passing Radyr Weir on Sunday. I guess this is offering the drivers the opportunity to drive a FLIRT to gain experience ahead of the 756's actually entering service.

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_140350236~2.jpg
    PXL_20240421_140350236~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68

positron

If anyone gets a chance I'd love to know how big the gap at Radyr is with the flirts. It's appalling with the 150s so I can't see it being level boarding but might be closer to acceptable at least. Seems a bit odd they've not touched the track/platforms there yet