• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Yorkshire buses discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Any similarities are likely to be with the First Midlands fleets given that their MD now has responsibility for South Yorkshire.
Yep - we’re seeing the signs of Nigel Eggleton giving some much needed focus on FSY. Similar moquette to the Salt Road and Nimrod refurbs in Worcester and the Knotty in Potteries. Not been to Leicester so don’t know if their rebrands have been similarly treated - is it the same there?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yep - we’re seeing the signs of Nigel Eggleton giving some much needed focus on FSY. Similar moquette to the Salt Road and Nimrod refurbs in Worcester and the Knotty in Potteries. Not been to Leicester so don’t know if their rebrands have been similarly treated - is it the same there?

Not sure, not seen the interiors.

carlberry

Established Member
It's... a nice enough livery... I'm a little surprised at the colours used - local buses went from "navy/cream" to "brown/cream" to "brown/ red/cream" to "red/yellow" in the years before First's palette took over - so it's not like there's any particular history to the colours (compared to some "local" First liveries like the green in Aberdeen or the blue in Stirlingshire)... blue also runs the risk of alienating half the population of Sheffield (given the United/ Wednesday thing - the depot at Olive Grove is roughly where Sheffield Wednesday started out, but is fairly close to the United ground).
Was it Sheffield corporation that was famous for changing the colour of the wheel hubs based on the political makeup of the local council?

Must admit, I quite like that new livery. Not sure the 'balls' work but it is definitely an upgrade from Olympia. nice shade of blue and I feel the front cream adds a bit of class, with the silver breakup lines.

...and oh I do miss those B9s being at Leeds. You could actually enjoy your journey (even as a non-enthusiast). Streetdecks on the other hand...

johnnychips

Established Member
Just put single deckers on the schools only routes in Donny where the kids can all sit together, and double deckers on the routes where ordinary passengers have to mix with kids so space is limited to 31 not 19. Don’t care what they look like.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not sure, not seen the interiors.
To be fair, the Eclipses that came from WoE and Cymru had been refurbished in recent years anyway.

Was it Sheffield corporation that was famous for changing the colour of the wheel hubs based on the political makeup of the local council?

They did have blue for a while but mainly it was red. However, would Sheffield had ever been Tory controlled in the 1960s?

With the new liveries for Sheffield and Doncaster, I think it's just Essex, the non Leeds bit of WY, and the Oldham rump of the GM business that are continuing with Urban.

Andyh82

Established Member
With the new liveries for Sheffield and Doncaster, I think it's just Essex, the non Leeds bit of WY, and the Oldham rump of the GM business that are continuing with Urban.
And in the case of Halifax they are actually in the process of phasing out the coloured fronts that they do have, to become 100% olympia

swifty

Established Member
Is it a group thing? The Midlands ones have it but Kernow/Cymru have something similar but different whilst WoE have something else.

Not sure it’s group wide but Midlands (and now S Yorks), Berkshire, Hants and Dorset, Cymru are using the same pattern in various colours. FSW have a similar pattern in various colours and WoE have their P&R moquette.

Interestingly Essex have now adopted the Scottish version of the livery with a white front. The ex airport E200s were the last repaint into full Olympia I believe.

On the Buses

That moquette is a Best Impressions design (hence the users). Started in red for Kernow, plus a green version for Buses of Somerset not yet used, then a purple version for HDB to use in first interiors when retrimming that has been adopted by BI customers

carlberry

Established Member
They did have blue for a while but mainly it was red. However, would Sheffield had ever been Tory controlled in the 1960s?
I was suprised, however I found a reference to it here:
https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/2121-old-colour-scheme/

The blue wheel centres were indeed painted in the mid sixties when the tory's, briefly, ran the council, they went back to red with the return of labour. I must admit, for me, the gorgeous blue and cream wth red wheel centres was synonymous with Sheffield, and to my mind, still one of the most attractive schemes ever seen anywhere in Britain.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not sure it’s group wide but Midlands (and now S Yorks), Berkshire, Hants and Dorset, Cymru are using the same pattern in various colours. FSW have a similar pattern in various colours and WoE have their P&R moquette.

Interestingly Essex have now adopted the Scottish version of the livery with a white front. The ex airport E200s were the last repaint into full Olympia I believe.

I didn't know they'd boldly broken away from Urban..... :lol: Jeez.... Thanks for the heads up but arguably, they need a bit more than that!

I know what you say about the moquettes. It might be my eyesight (as I'm getting on a bit) but I think the Cymru/Kernow/Berkshire ones (in various colours) are slightly different from the Midlands versions? Or maybe I need a trip to Barnard Castle o_O

I know of some advocates of the West of England scheme; as you know, I'm not so keen :D

Nonetheless, it's good to see the first knockings of an improvement to the FSY fleet. It'll be good to see the first Doncaster one arrive in due course. Mind you, the real progress when you see the overall standard of the existing fleet improve.

On the Buses

I know what you say about the moquettes. It might be my eyesight (as I'm getting on a bit) but I think the Cymru/Kernow/Berkshire ones (in various colours) are slightly different from the Midlands versions? Or maybe I need a trip to Barnard Castle o_O

You’re right. It’s a blue version but same pattern. Red Green Blue and Purple versions all designed by BI.

overthewater

Established Member
Has anyone else seen the new livery? Has only one been done? but it does look rather smart and complements the exciting First livery. The bus has also been given a refresh inside which is what is needed with midlife buses., let hope this is a start the first group kickstarting refurbishing there mid life fleet.

Last edited:

Pit_buzzer

See from McKenna Bros that they've done the first new Doncaster liveried vehicle https://twitter.com/McKennaBrothers/status/1334058649854103554

Apparently, it's 36227 and has had a mid life internal refurb too.
I think McKennas have just done the branding. The interior work and repaint were done at Thorntons. Saw it monday at Leger Way just after it returned. It has the cream front upper deck in the same style as the Sheffield livery but was totally unbranded at the time. McKennas branded it yesterday and it was in service today

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think McKennas have just done the branding. The interior work and repaint were done at Thorntons. Saw it monday at Leger Way just after it returned. It has the cream front upper deck in the same style as the Sheffield livery but was totally unbranded at the time. McKennas branded it yesterday and it was in service today
Yes - McKennas do the vinyls which the tweet states.

cnjb8

Established Member
See from McKenna Bros that they've done the first new Doncaster liveried vehicle https://twitter.com/McKennaBrothers/status/1334058649854103554

Apparently, it's 36227 and has had a mid life internal refurb too.
So how does the Doncaster's Clever Buses fit into this (the livery on the former Leicester B7RLEs)? Is that a sub brand of Red Buses for 66?
Also a few StreetLites wear that livery, they are
63129 and 63135
Not my photos

tbtc

Veteran Member
I've not been a massive fan of some of the new First liveries (too much white, a washed out lilac etc) but the Doncaster one looks really good - the "old" Doncaster livery was red with a thick purple stripe, so there's some history in this rebrand - looks pretty powerful too (compared to some of the faded colours that operators are going for nowadays)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I've not been a massive fan of some of the new First liveries (too much white, a washed out lilac etc) but the Doncaster one looks really good - the "old" Doncaster livery was red with a thick purple stripe, so there's some history in this rebrand - looks pretty powerful too (compared to some of the faded colours that operators are going for nowadays)
When you're talking of too much white or lilac, which ones are you referring to? The Scottish ones?

Aside from First Essex, First Oldham and First West Yorkshire(where apart from in Leeds, they are actively removing the coloured fronts and branding and regressing to Urban), the other new liveries and brands are generally very bright and strong.

The Doncaster livery is quite smart and the purple stripe is a Stenning nod to the livery in the 1970s before brown and beige were brought in.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Great new colours for Doncaster, and Sheffield. Long overdue and no doubt instigated by the new MD.

cnjb8

Established Member
When you're talking of too much white or lilac, which ones are you referring to? The Scottish ones?

Aside from First Essex, First Oldham and First West Yorkshire(where apart from in Leeds, they are actively removing the coloured fronts and branding and regressing to Urban), the other new liveries and brands are generally very bright and strong.

The Doncaster livery is quite smart and the purple stripe is a Stenning nod to the livery in the 1970s before brown and beige were brought in.
First Essex have a new livery, it's similar to the new First York livery

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

buslad1988

Thanks for that.

How uninspiring, for a business that really needs some oomph behind it.
I know! All the opportunities they have with the bright yellows/greens/purples from EN/TW pre barbie and they go with this. Unless perhaps this is just a stop gap until the new MD/Commerical Manager get their feet under the table.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I know! All the opportunities they have with the bright yellows/greens/purples from EN/TW pre barbie and they go with this. Unless perhaps this is just a stop gap until the new MD/Commerical Manager get their feet under the table.

Getting back on topic, it is certainly a good statement of intent from Nigel Eggleton and his team to start to get the South Yorkshire operations smartened up. The Doncaster livery is certainly bold and a vast improvement. Not quite so sold on the Sheffield version but it's all subjective and we should applaud the refurbishments that are taking place.

It's taken a time and a change of management for FSY to wake up and can only hope that other OpCos finally join the party emulating FWoE and FSW.

Pit_buzzer

Getting back on topic, it is certainly a good statement of intent from Nigel Eggleton and his team to start to get the South Yorkshire operations smartened up. The Doncaster livery is certainly bold and a vast improvement. Not quite so sold on the Sheffield version but it's all subjective and we should applaud the refurbishments that are taking place.

It's taken a time and a change of management for FSY to wake up and can only hope that other OpCos finally join the party emulating FWoE and FSW.
The 2nd Gemini to be repainted in Sheffield livery has a diagonal rainbow stripe rather than a collection of snooker balls, it'll be interesting to see if this a kind of route branding or if they are one offs

ALEMASTER

The 2nd Gemini to be repainted in Sheffield livery has a diagonal rainbow stripe rather than a collection of snooker balls, it'll be interesting to see if this a kind of route branding or if they are one offs
each bus has a little theme added, mostly Sheffield related. The 3 buses done so far has snooker, Arctic Monkeys and NHS. I assume that will spread across the fleet until they run out of ideas!

Pit_buzzer

each bus has a little theme added, mostly Sheffield related. The 3 buses done so far has snooker, Arctic Monkeys and NHS. I assume that will spread across the fleet until they run out of ideas!
That's an excellent idea, can't wait for the Human League bus :)

Status
Not open for further replies.