• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Timetable Change - 12th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA1

Increase in services including the return of 12 cars and an introduction of 707s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news with service levels increasing.

Looks like they are making use of the 707s to create more 12 coach networker services towards Dartford/Hayes reading the information.

Paul Jones 88

Will Charing Cross / Tonbridge / Ashford become twice hourly again?
These services are artificially busy at the moment, today I departed from Paddock Wood at 11 o'clock and there were no seats available and people standing by the doors, because of my bad knee I thought sod it and just sat in first class.

DA1

Will Charing Cross / Tonbridge / Ashford become twice hourly again?
These services are artificially busy at the moment, today I departed from Paddock Wood at 11 o'clock and there were no seats available and people standing by the doors, because of my bad knee I thought sod it and just sat in first class.
They will indeed at :10 and :40 it seems.

Andy1673

Out of curiosity how many diagrams of 707s they intend to introduce? One or two? SE now has only 8 707s (4 pairs).

alex397

Established Member
Since I’ve been travelling about a bit more recently, I’ve noticed there are now poor connections with the Canterbury West line and the Marshlink line at Ashford ‘International’.
There were 3 tph between Canterbury West (CBW) and Ashford. The Highspeed (which remains the same), a ‘fast stopper’ from Ramsgate to London stopping at Wye, and a train which started at CBW stopping at all stops to Ashford, then to Maidstone East and London, which is the train which has been removed, with the Ramsgate train now stopping at all stops.

Southbound it is a 44 minute wait, and northbound it is 42 mins. So, 86 minutes wasted waiting in total if on a day trip somewhere. It now makes travelling from that area of Kent down to Rye/Hastings/Eastbourne much longer, and car now a more attractive option. Previously, journey times were definitely competitive against the car, with traffic in Ashford being the most unappealing.

Obviously, the Marshlink train times can’t really be changed much, and I can understand why Southeastern have reduced trains on the CBW line. It was quiet on those services (except the High Speed) even before Covid, and 3 tph was perhaps excessive. I just hope the connections at Ashford will somehow improve soon.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Caught the 1130-odd Javelin from Medway to St Pancras this morning. Full and standing, only 6 cars, when the previous coastbound one was 12. Mostly football/shopping. With only one train an hour HS1 to N Kent at the moment, they could surely use all 12-car sets without any more staff being needed.
The platform screens said something like “this service is usually standing room only”, which I’d never seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.