• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 377/6/7 and Class 455 allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intro298

Hello everyone, does anyone know the route allocations of Southern's Class 377/6/7 and Class 455 trains?
If someone has this information could they tell me where they found this information, and how i could find it for myself in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Generally the fast LBG-Caterham/Tattenham Corners are booked /6’s and /7’s due to the fact they split and so aren’t likely to be mixed with other units.

From anecdotal experience, the Victoria via Mitcham Junction (the ones that provide the half hourly Hackbridge service) services are generally /6 and /7 and the London Bridge - Tulse Hill - Beckenham Junction is 455. I have seen all sorts across the metro network though so it isn’t gospel.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hello everyone, does anyone know the route allocations of Southern's Class 377/6/7 and Class 455 trains?
If someone has this information could they tell me where they found this information, and how i could find it for myself in the future.
Generally 455s work all services via Tulse Hill - eg London Bridge to Beckenham Junction / Caterham / Sutton (peak), London Bridge to Coulsdon Town via Forest Hill (off-peak) and London Victoria to Epsom Downs via Norbury.

377/6 and 377/7 work London Bridge to Caterham / Tattenham Corner and share the other suburban services with 10-car 3+3+4 formations.

If you join the 'ukmodernemu' group on groups.io you may be able to access carriage working notices for previous timetables which show the intended allocations.

Last edited:

Andy1673

377/6 /7 work all London Bridge to Caterham/Tattenham Corner services (splitiing at Purley), some Victoria - Epsom - Dorking - Horsham circuits, some peak London Bridge to Victoria services and some Victoria - Sutton peak services as such as late night Victoria to Gatwick Airport and early morning return
455s work London Bridge to Caterham via Tulse Hill, London Bridge to Beckenham Junction, London Bridge to Coulsdon South (2 of 3 diagrams), Victoria to Epsom Downs and some peak Victoria to London Bridge and Victoria to Sutton services. Almost all in pairs (2x455s) only some late night services are single units

Railcar

Is one of the deciding factors whether the driver needs to walk through the train to reverse?

For example, 2x455 cannot be used on the Victoria to West Croydon via Crystal Palace route because that reverses in the siding between the tracks just beyond West Croydon. 2x455 would mean the driver climbing down into the six foot with trains moving at speed on either side, whereas with a 377 of any length they can walk through the train. Multiple 455s are used where there is a platform at both ends of the route

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is one of the deciding factors whether the driver needs to walk through the train to reverse?

For example, 2x455 cannot be used on the Victoria to West Croydon via Crystal Palace route because that reverses in the siding between the tracks just beyond West Croydon. 2x455 would mean the driver climbing down into the six foot with trains moving at speed on either side, whereas with a 377 of any length they can walk through the train. Multiple 455s are used where there is a platform at both ends of the route
That's interesting, because while I normally only see single 455s in that siding, I have seen a few pairs there in recent months.

Presumably short notice changes / diagram swaps?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
That's interesting, because while I normally only see single 455s in that siding, I have seen a few pairs there in recent months.

Presumably short notice changes / diagram swaps?
You won't see multiple 455s in that siding, as the driver cannot walk through to change ends

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You won't see multiple 455s in that siding, as the driver cannot walk through to change ends
I can assure you that I have on at least two occasions earlier this year; I go past the siding regularly, usually sitting on the right hand side of the train, and always look at what's in the siding.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I can assure you that I have on at least two occasions earlier this year; I go past the siding regularly, usually sitting on the right hand side of the train, and always look at what's in the siding.
Four cars are okay. 8 cars are barred owing to the inability of the driver to walk through to change ends. Unless there are two drivers, one in each end

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Four cars are okay. 8 cars are barred owing to the inability of the driver to walk through to change ends. Unless there are two drivers, one in each end
Ah... maybe the ones I saw were double manned, then?

I had another thought, though - can the siding be worked permissively? In other words - can they stick a failed 455 in there and still run another one normally? Although that wouldn't account for the ones I saw being particularly close together, but then the further thought occurs to me that if they do stick a failed 455 in there, presumably the only thing that can rescue it would be another 455...?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Ah... maybe the ones I saw were double manned, then?

I had another thought, though - can the siding be worked permissively? In other words - can they stick a failed 455 in there and still run another one normally? Although that wouldn't account for the ones I saw being particularly close together, but then the further thought occurs to me that if they do stick a failed 455 in there, presumably the only thing that can rescue it would be another 455...?
Planning, Control, Signaller, Driver error, or a combination. Wouldn't be the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.