• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Electric modelling ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
So...I've been thinking about building a layout for ages, and having had some time recently (haha!) I've come up with some ideas and themes.

I've always been a fan of the BR blue era, and I also love an air of dereliction and decay. I know a lot of enthusiasts prefer their railways bustling and pristine, but I've long fancied the idea of building a layout based on a line in its final days. I've spotted some fantastic pictures of the Elmers End to Sanderstead line recently, which was very lightly used, and the peak hours only service ceased in 1983 - part of the route was later reused by Tramlink. Anyway - besides the stations being pretty atmospheric, the line was operated by 2-EPBs, which are of course made by Bachmann.

So! My inspiration is a run-down suburban station with a 2-EPB shuttle service, and perhaps a siding or two for parcels or freight (there was an oil terminal at Selsdon that provides inspiration for this). I was also reading about the proposed Southern Heights line that was planned to run between Orpington and Sanderstead. It was planned in the twenties and thirties and would have been electrified from the start. It was intended to attract building and investment into the fairly rural area it was going to serve, but post-war it was greenbelt land and so remained pretty quiet. If built, I can easily imagine it would have been somewhat underused and potentially a candidate for closure in BR's more cash-strapped times.

A small-ish station and a few sidings won't take up too much space in OO, I reckon. I'd quite like to do it as an oval so I can run trains continuously - never been much of a fan of end-to-end or terminus layouts. Anyone got any pointers for inspirational layouts and track plans? I might actually end up building this thing...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So...I've been thinking about building a layout for ages, and having had some time recently (haha!) I've come up with some ideas and themes.

I've always been a fan of the BR blue era, and I also love an air of dereliction and decay. I know a lot of enthusiasts prefer their railways bustling and pristine, but I've long fancied the idea of building a layout based on a line in its final days. I've spotted some fantastic pictures of the Elmers End to Sanderstead line recently, which was very lightly used, and the peak hours only service ceased in 1983 - part of the route was later reused by Tramlink. Anyway - besides the stations being pretty atmospheric, the line was operated by 2-EPBs, which are of course made by Bachmann.

So! My inspiration is a run-down suburban station with a 2-EPB shuttle service, and perhaps a siding or two for parcels or freight (there was an oil terminal at Selsdon that provides inspiration for this). I was also reading about the proposed Southern Heights line that was planned to run between Orpington and Sanderstead. It was planned in the twenties and thirties and would have been electrified from the start. It was intended to attract building and investment into the fairly rural area it was going to serve, but post-war it was greenbelt land and so remained pretty quiet. If built, I can easily imagine it would have been somewhat underused and potentially a candidate for closure in BR's more cash-strapped times.

A small-ish station and a few sidings won't take up too much space in OO, I reckon. I'd quite like to do it as an oval so I can run trains continuously - never been much of a fan of end-to-end or terminus layouts. Anyone got any pointers for inspirational layouts and track plans? I might actually end up building this thing...
I’m really interested in this but it’s a bit late so I’m going to have a think about it and look at the area tomorrow before coming back with some ideas.
I like the sound of it though @Journeyman.

nlogax

Established Member
If I had the time and real estate I'd be modelling in the same sort of decrepit SR era. It's fascinating and there seemed to be plenty of variety as well as a catalyst to work on one's weathering technique! Newhaven Harbour is pretty inspirational on that front, I think you may find it a decent start..

Journeyman

Established Member
If I had the time and real estate I'd be modelling in the same sort of decrepit SR era. It's fascinating and there seemed to be plenty of variety as well as a catalyst to work on one's weathering technique! Newhaven Harbour is pretty inspirational on that front, I think you may find it a decent start..

I've seen that one at Model Rail Scotland - it certainly caught my eye. Blue BILs and HALs? Yes please!

I agree, the Southern always tended to get written off as boring, and when I was a kid it was impossible to buy models of the trains I saw and rode all the time. I can't wait to recreate the world of my youth.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've seen that one at Model Rail Scotland - it certainly caught my eye. Blue BILs and HALs? Yes please!

I agree, the Southern always tended to get written off as boring, and when I was a kid it was impossible to buy models of the trains I saw and rode all the time. I can't wait to recreate the world of my youth.
You’ve got me lost in a sea of banger blue now...
This is only a small depot scene but it’s got a nice southern region feel about it, some good inspiration maybe?
Oakley Green:

A nice bit of all over blue Thumper action:

Peter C

Established Member
I've just had a play around with AnyRail 6 and this is what I've made:
1592938780336.png
The station, with the platform marker by the blue rectangle, is a one-platform affair, with a little loop and a couple of sidings. Going anti-clockwise, we get to a single-track section; this is like the Hastings Line, where issues with tunnel walls meant that the line through each tunnel in question had to be single-tracked. The curve we then pass down would be in a tunnel, ending at the other end of the curve, on the other side of the layout. Here, we go back to double track, with a siding on the left and the right.
The green circle indicates where a crossover could be added in to allow for a small loop to be made. A crossover could also be added in at the end of the siding above the two running lines on this diagram; it would allow for two loops (or sidings, depending on how you wish to use them) to store trains in. They would be more than adequate for a 2-EPB or similar.
The line then continues around the next curve as a double-track route, arriving back at the station area. Here, the trains can go into the sidings, which could be set to serve any kind of business/factory/setting. If you wanted, the junction at the end of the platform could be turned into a crossover (which would require some cutting-up of track pieces) to allow for trains to maintain left-hand line running around the double track section and still get into the platform.

Here's what the layout could look like if the single track section was turned into a double-track section:
1592939454039.png
This would mean that trains could be set off and they could just go round and round, without any user input.

Please note I'm not telling you how to make your railway, or what to do - these are just the results of me playing around with layout-planning software! :D If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just had a play around with AnyRail 6 and this is what I've made:
View attachment 79888
The station, with the platform marker by the blue rectangle, is a one-platform affair, with a little loop and a couple of sidings. Going anti-clockwise, we get to a single-track section; this is like the Hastings Line, where issues with tunnel walls meant that the line through each tunnel in question had to be single-tracked. The curve we then pass down would be in a tunnel, ending at the other end of the curve, on the other side of the layout. Here, we go back to double track, with a siding on the left and the right.
The green circle indicates where a crossover could be added in to allow for a small loop to be made. A crossover could also be added in at the end of the siding above the two running lines on this diagram; it would allow for two loops (or sidings, depending on how you wish to use them) to store trains in. They would be more than adequate for a 2-EPB or similar.
The line then continues around the next curve as a double-track route, arriving back at the station area. Here, the trains can go into the sidings, which could be set to serve any kind of business/factory/setting. If you wanted, the junction at the end of the platform could be turned into a crossover (which would require some cutting-up of track pieces) to allow for trains to maintain left-hand line running around the double track section and still get into the platform.

Here's what the layout could look like if the single track section was turned into a double-track section:
View attachment 79889
This would mean that trains could be set off and they could just go round and round, without any user input.

Please note I'm not telling you how to make your railway, or what to do - these are just the results of me playing around with layout-planning software! :D If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Peter
I quite like the idea of a single line tunnel off the end of the platform slewed into the centre of the tunnel like on the Hastings line.
A couple of Dogfish wagons and a weathered blue 73 in the yard opposite and maybe the yard on the opposite side of the layout could have third rail and walkways to service the EPBs mmm...
;)

Peter C

Established Member
I quite like the idea of a single line tunnel off the end of the platform slewed into the centre of the tunnel like on the Hastings line.
A couple of Dogfish wagons and a weathered blue 73 in the yard opposite and maybe the yard on the opposite side of the layout could have third rail and walkways to service the EPBs mmm...
;)
That idea with the 73 and the walkway sounds really good... I'm going to have to add it into my layout! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That idea with the 73 and the walkway sounds really good... I'm going to have to add it into my layout! :D

-Peter
The thinking about it is a big part of the enjoyment.
Sometimes I have difficulty getting to sleep because loads of ideas start popping into my head just as I’m dropping off!

nlogax

Established Member

Maybe Bournemouth station could also be useful inspiration? Long down platform leading to walkway and the turnback sidings just short of the overbridge at the country end.

I grabbed these from Streetview but I'm sure there's a decent pic out there of how things used to look in the 80s. Imagine this scene but with some crusty REPs or VEPs and the occasional 33 (or all blue 73), and the walkway which didn't have anything resembling a safety treatment or yellow edges. And a few Marinas and Princesses in the car park :smile:

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 12.24.10.png

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 12.13.59.png

Peter C

Established Member
Maybe Bournemouth station could also be useful inspiration? Long down platform leading to walkway and the turnback sidings just short of the overbridge at the country end.

I grabbed these from Streetview but I'm sure there's a decent pic out there of how things used to look in the 80s. Imagine this scene but with some crusty REPs or VEPs and the occasional 33 (or all blue 73), and the walkway which didn't have anything resembling a safety treatment or yellow edges. And a few Marinas and Princesses in the car park :smile:

View attachment 79903

View attachment 79904
That sounds really interesting. I've got a bit on my layout which will be a bit like that so I'll be looking into that more! :D

-Peter

John Webb

Established Member
Not BR SR but BR (LMR) - take a look at Croxley Green branch on the disused stations website. Got very run down and mucky before closure. Was due to be revived recently as part of amending the Metropolitan line to terminate at Watford Junction but that was sunk by politics.

Peter C

Established Member
Not BR SR but BR (LMR) - take a look at Croxley Green branch on the disused stations website. Got very run down and mucky before closure. Was due to be revived recently as part of amending the Metropolitan line to terminate at Watford Junction but that was sunk by politics.
Another line which is somewhat similar is the West Croydon-Wimbledon line: it was part of the national network until it closed in 1997 and was turned into part of the Croydon Tramlink.
It wasn't worked by 2-EPBs but instead by Class 456s (I don't know if it was one or multiple over the years) but they were the only units which would fit at the small platforms. If you have Train Simulator, there's an amazing route available which covers this route and it shows what it was like in its last few years.

-Peter :)

Journeyman

Established Member
Loads of great ideas here! Some of the quieter spots on the Southern's coastal routes seem promising too, with little prefabricated stations gradually crumbling, as BILs and HALs rumble in and out...in fact, it even provides an excuse for a BEL in blue and grey, for diversions and railtours.

*drools*

Journeyman

Established Member
Just found a brilliant inspiration here! A small halt on an electrified line...brilliant. Fits the "barely hanging on" scenario, and would be perfect for any of the 2-car Southern EMUs available.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That does look interesting.
Peco do all the concrete accessories and they’re fairly cheap too so you’re halfway there!

Journeyman

Established Member
That does look interesting.
Peco do all the concrete accessories and they’re fairly cheap too so you’re halfway there!

Niiice! Fascinating, isn't it? I do like that style of small station.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Niiice! Fascinating, isn't it? I do like that style of small station.
Definitely. I love all that concrete SR stuff. There was a big concrete works at Exmouth Junction near us and there’s still loads of it about (Polsloe Bridge is almost like the full kit).
My friends railway that I’ve helped with now and again has lots of it, it’s N gauge but you get the idea. All Peco stuff.

38E5C270-779F-46C2-9BF0-714AC30729FF.jpeg

Should look great when it’s all weathered and finished.

RichJF

If you want inspiration for a run-down route that Southern Electric units ran on; I'd look at the North London Link (pre-2006, post-1985) between Stratford & North Woolwich. Southern 2-EPBs running along the line with some VERY shabby stations. Silvertown strikes me as a good example (tramway sidings, abandoned track & single electrified platform).

If I didn't live in a small flat, I'd be modelling Southern Electric/diesel based on the North London Line or Cuckoo Line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.