• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

southern emu's nse connex ect my kit bashing and scratch building work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VEP3417

That is actually excellent. :)

i just came across another thread "oldmoor junction" where you posted pics of your model railway layout, and i think i now own that layout! small world :lol: bit different now as i bought it with most parts missing, and i removed the station and signal box and am currently trying to work out how i want it to look, do you have any more pics of it when you had it? what was its name at the time?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
i just came across another thread "oldmoor junction" where you posted pics of your model railway layout, and i think i now own that layout! small world :lol: bit different now as i bought it with most parts missing, and i removed the station and signal box and am currently trying to work out how i want it to look, do you have any more pics of it when you had it? what was its name at the time?
Good grief. I’m being stalked by an ex layout! :lol:
I’ll see what I can dig out later.

VEP3417

thanks :) i bought it for £13 from weymouth a few months back on ebay, i plan to remodel it a bit but how im not sure yet as have been concentrating on the rolling stock

Peter C

Established Member
Ah yes - I remember seeing @Cowley's images from that layout on my Oldmoor Junction thread ages ago now. Looked to be quite a nice little layout, especially for £13!

-Peter

VEP3417

i think the people needed it gone at short notice as they where moving hence the price, it was a buy it now!
its a bit rough now and most parts where missing but i recon i can do something with it ;) the track is nicely laid and weathered though

Peter C

Established Member
i think the people needed it gone at short notice as they where moving hence the price, it was a buy it now!
its a bit rough now and most parts where missing but i recon i can do something with it ;) the track is nicely laid and weathered though
Ah OK :)
At least there's a starting point from which you can work from. The track definitely looks very good from the photos!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m just going out in a minute for N gauge Monday, so I’ll see what else I can think of and get back to you properly tomorrow. But just thinking about it offhand I don’t think we ever gave it a name. It was originally built for my young son and it fitted on the bottom bunk of his bunk bed.
Here’s a few photos I’ve got on the phone, the long road on the top was a drop in section and so was the bit with the bus garage which also had the platform attached.

F440C16D-0677-4CF6-B1F1-668447C55223.jpegD2673E94-F509-4BDB-95E2-41A052E9F224.jpeg40FC3D28-0095-4024-8EF9-F42A111CBCB7.jpeg09B0C688-C14D-417A-9D6F-A0256E8EC16F.jpeg

I think they were the photos that I took for eBay, I must have more somewhere though.
I actually delivered that to the lady (she was in Bridport), and set it up for her. This was only in June 2019 so I’m surprised it’s been asset stripped already!:lol:

VEP3417

thanks for that ! yes shame all that was missing as it looked really good, i might have to replicate it again 8-)

VEP3417

bit of progress but not much, diddnt like the 304 in regional railways so painted it into nse, much better! still got 1 car to build though, and made a sort of sr epb single car sandite unit thing out of old bits and bobs i had lying around, and weathered them all so far but not much else done at the moment

Attachments

• DSCF6311.JPG
    DSCF6311.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCF6314.JPG
    DSCF6314.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF6316.JPG
    DSCF6316.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF6317.JPG
    DSCF6317.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
bit of progress but not much, diddnt like the 304 in regional railways so painted it into nse, much better! still got 1 car to build though, and made a sort of sr epb single car sandite unit thing out of old bits and bobs i had lying around, and weathered them all so far but not much else done at the moment
Excellent. That sandite unit looks amazing considering it was made from bits and bobs.

VEP3417

thanks!, the shell was an old mtk bullied guards van/coach with an emu front end grafted onto it and the sides filled over with card to cover the windows :lol: and other random oddments i had :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
I'm liking those! They're the kind of thing you don't normally see in model form. The weathering on both looks really cool too - I think I've said it before when talking to @Cowley but that's what I think of when British Rail comes up :)

-Peter

VEP3417

thanks, i try to do/make different models not often seen, i like my models on the slightly more heavily weathered side, sort of towards end of life, and also it looks like theyre running on a rainy day with dirty steamed up windows like how i remember, on veps and things when it rained :lol:

come to think of it i dont think ive seen a 304 in nse as a model? must be one somewhere but all the ones ive seen have been br blue or blue and grey, or red

Peter C

Established Member
thanks, i try to do/make different models not often seen, i like my models on the slightly more heavily weathered side, sort of towards end of life, and also it looks like theyre running on a rainy day with dirty steamed up windows like how i remember, on veps and things when it rained :lol:
Well you've created that atmosphere very well! I love seeing layouts of that era, particularly NSE, but they're not so common.

come to think of it i dont think ive seen a 304 in nse as a model? must be one somewhere but all the ones ive seen have been br blue or blue and grey, or red
I don't think I've seen one either, come to think of it. I'll keep a look out for one now - I'm curious to see if there are any others!

-Peter

VEP3417

the only 304 kits available are dc kits i think, thats the only models ive seen built but ive used dc kit parts on bachmann suburban coaches, saves making and fitting all the hand rails and details ect, i think the 304 fronts are mtk, the drivers cab window/door are dc kits as are the bogies/guards van area sides and the coaches are bachmann

i will have a nse layout at some point but im just concentrating on the trains for the moment

just a quick rough mock up of this unusual train
was a 4tc which then had hopper windows fitted to the front half only, then became part of a 4 cig for a whilst, was making a 4tc anyway so thought id represent this unusual train as i dont think anyone's attempted to build this car before

and have started an un refurbished cep 1500/tractor unit 081 which needs a bit of fettling as i started it a long time ago

Attachments

• cig1312 - Copy.jpg
    cig1312 - Copy.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF6334.JPG
    DSCF6334.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Refurb4TC001.jpg
    Refurb4TC001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF6336.JPG
    DSCF6336.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
the only 304 kits available are dc kits i think, thats the only models ive seen built but ive used dc kit parts on bachmann suburban coaches, saves making and fitting all the hand rails and details ect, i think the 304 fronts are mtk, the drivers cab window/door are dc kits as are the bogies/guards van area sides and the coaches are bachmann
Well you've done a good job, so your kitbashing has paid off! I'd never have thought of using several different coaches/kits to make one unit.

i will have a nse layout at some point but im just concentrating on the trains for the moment
I like the sound of it. You'd definitely have some good trains to run on it!

just a quick rough mock up of this unusual train
was a 4tc which then had hopper windows fitted to the front half only, then became part of a 4 cig for a whilst, was making a 4tc anyway so thought id represent this unusual train as i dont think anyone's attempted to build this car before
Looks like a very nice model you've made so far. The 4-TC units have always interested me because of their appearance as a normal unit but in actual fact they're just loco-hauled (or unit-hauled in a lot of cases) coaches with cabs at either end. What have you used to make the base coach body?

-Peter

VEP3417

thanks for the reply ;) the base coach is just a cheap lima coach, but the door and small windows forward are parts of a brass mjt sides and the front mjt also, the bogies are probably hornby/bachmann

the etched hopper windows are from a company called DJC, someone did sell them on ebay but you can buy direct from djc for half the price or that was the case anyway

trying to work out what else to make thats unusual, ive got lots of rare mtk kits tucked away of unusual bits and bobs :lol: but i find mtk kits to be a bit "flat" compared to the bachmann ect more detailed coaches

the cep coach was some cheap non branded copy of a bachmann coach i think which was modified with replica railways epb ends with a gangway added, the windows in that are actually bachmann cep ones from one i was converting to hopper windows

Peter C

Established Member
thanks for the reply ;) the base coach is just a cheap lima coach, but the door and small windows forward are parts of a brass mjt sides and the front mjt also, the bogies are probably hornby/bachmann

the etched hopper windows are from a company called DJC, someone did sell them on ebay but you can buy direct from djc for half the price or that was the case anyway

trying to work out what else to make thats unusual, ive got lots of rare mtk kits tucked away of unusual bits and bobs :lol: but i find mtk kits to be a bit "flat" compared to the bachmann ect more detailed coaches

the cep coach was some cheap non branded copy of a bachmann coach i think which was modified with replica railways epb ends with a gangway added, the windows in that are actually bachmann cep ones from one i was converting to hopper windows
You're very welcome :)
Ah cool - I've often thought of making my own units like that and I thought Lima/similar coaches would be a good way of doing it, having seen others' creations. You've done a really good job with that unit so far!

-Peter

VEP3417

thanks, id have preferred to use bachmann or similar due to the high detail, but they still command strong money just to be cut up and modified :lol:

VEP3417

finally after 3 months or so ive near on finished the 304 apart from a pantograph/couplings, slightly on the heavily weathered side but it is supposed to represent a sort of near end of life train, ill probably sell it/put it on ebay soon as lovely as it is, the plan was always building it to sell to put the money towards finishing some of my other models :)

Attachments

• DSCF7132.JPG
    DSCF7132.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7134.JPG
    DSCF7134.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7140.JPG
    DSCF7140.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7142.JPG
    DSCF7142.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7144.JPG
    DSCF7144.JPG
    955.2 KB · Views: 22

Peter C

Established Member
finally after 3 months or so ive near on finished the 304 apart from a pantograph/couplings, slightly on the heavily weathered side but it is supposed to represent a sort of near end of life train, ill probably sell it/put it on ebay soon as lovely as it is, the plan was always building it to sell to put the money towards finishing some of my other models :)
That looks really cool - the weathering and 'approaching the end of its life' effect you've given it really adds to that - even down to the missing bits of the NSE logos.

-Peter :)

VEP3417

thanks....must admit the transfer damage happened by accident but actually adds to the affect :lol:

you dont often see heavily weathered models and i wondered if id gone to far but i think its about right for a near end of life vehicle

Peter C

Established Member
thanks....must admit the transfer damage happened by accident but actually adds to the affect :lol:
Haha - sounds like something I'd do :D
Definitely adds to the overall look though, so I suppose it's a win.

you dont often see heavily weathered models and i wondered if id gone to far but i think its about right for a near end of life vehicle
I think you've done a good job there: looks really nice. Some people tend to go over-the-top with weathering but you've struck a nice balance.

-Peter

VEP3417

ive been doing it long enough to get it just about right but every train is a new challenge, they never turn out same no matter how many times you do it but thats a bit like the real thing, every real train weathers differently

you can over do it and make it too dark, which i did a bit on this but i tool some terps and a scotch brite pad and sanded back the weathering a bit witch works really well, same with the underframe/bogies, weathered a bit strongly but got some thinners and the scotch brite pad and sanded it back a bit and again worked really well

Peter C

Established Member
ive been doing it long enough to get it just about right but every train is a new challenge, they never turn out same no matter how many times you do it but thats a bit like the real thing, every real train weathers differently

you can over do it and make it too dark, which i did a bit on this but i tool some terps and a scotch brite pad and sanded back the weathering a bit witch works really well, same with the underframe/bogies, weathered a bit strongly but got some thinners and the scotch brite pad and sanded it back a bit and again worked really well
It's definitely one of those things where practice makes perfect. One of the little details which really adds to it is the weathering around the doors - love it. :)

-Peter

VEP3417

thats the thing about weathering, i usually use a wash so it gets in all the nooks and crannys like door frame gaps, where if you just use an airbrush it wouldnt get in all thos areas

as for fire damage, ive not really gone that far, not on a nice model like this anyway, did a class 33 ages ago though,
im not sure id go to all the effort of building another one like this as it took me 3 months or more as it was to do this one :lol:
i usually do 1 offs when it comes to models

if that wasnt enough ive also been working on these 2

had to have a mlv seeing as im building a refurbished cep :lol:

the mlv started out as br green

Attachments

• DSCF7154.JPG
    DSCF7154.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCF7158.JPG
    DSCF7158.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCF7159.JPG