• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

southern emu's nse connex ect my kit bashing and scratch building work

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

bought this recently as an unfinished project - merseyrail ex class 501 sandite/de icing unit and 73

the 501 bodies are bachmann epb's converted and had no chassis so ive used the scratch built ones i made for the epb and will make other chassis for that at a later date, the 73 has p4 scale wheels fitted to ive converted it back to oo using bachmann 2hal wheels

who ever built it did a very good job and super detailed the set very well hence i had to buy it even though it isnt southern region, but ill work my magic on it and finish it

Attachments

• DSCF7572.JPG
    DSCF7572.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7573.JPG
    DSCF7573.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7575.JPG
    DSCF7575.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7576.JPG
    DSCF7576.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCF7577.JPG
    DSCF7577.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7578.JPG
    DSCF7578.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7579.JPG
    DSCF7579.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 17
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
bought this recently as an unfinished project - merseyrail ex class 501 sandite/de icing unit and 73

the 501 bodies are bachmann epb's converted and had no chassis so ive used the scratch built ones i made for the epb and will make other chassis for that at a later date, the 73 has p4 scale wheels fitted to ive converted it back to oo using bachmann 2hal wheels

who ever built it did a very good job and super detailed the set very well hence i had to buy it even though it isnt southern region, but ill work my magic on it and finish it
Those both look like lovely models. I'm interested to see what it'll look like once you've finished it all!

-Peter :)

VEP3417

theyre very highly detailed, even the lima 73 has has the underframe cut off and all individual components put on and the bogies are detailed as well, i just ordered some etched brass cab windows and flush glazing for the 501 the other day to continue with the level of detail someone else started

Peter C

Established Member
theyre very highly detailed, even the lima 73 has has the underframe cut off and all individual components put on and the bogies are detailed as well, i just ordered some etched brass cab windows and flush glazing for the 501 the other day to continue with the level of detail someone else started
All sounds very nice! Fitting some of my older models with more realistic detailing is on the list of several things to get done - that, and painting them and making them look as nice as yours!

-Peter

VEP3417

thanks! yes things like lima 73s/33s ect can be made to look nice by detailing, makes a surprising difference

VEP3417

been working hard on the chassis of the 501 and weathering 2 of the 3 vehicles, still far from finished though :lol: more weathering and detailing needed

Attachments

• DSCF8296.JPG
    DSCF8296.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF8303.JPG
    DSCF8303.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Peter C

Established Member
been working hard on the chassis of the 501 and weathering 2 of the 3 vehicles, still far from finished though :lol: more weathering and detailing needed
I'm liking the look of those. I guess that's the same 73 you mentioned in the post at the top of this page? Did you manage to get anywhere with it?

-Peter

VEP3417

ive not tested it yet but ive unplugged the wiring loom and fitted the blank chip and changed the wheels from p4 scale to 00 scale which was fiddley

Peter C

Established Member
ive not tested it yet but ive unplugged the wiring loom and fitted the blank chip and changed the wheels from p4 scale to 00 scale which was fiddley
Ah OK - but at least you've got somewhere with it I suppose? :)

-Peter

VEP3417

bought some detailed hornby mk2 coaches off ebay recently for £20 which i thought was good considering someone's put flush glazing in them, added transfers, detailed the interiors and put new wheel sets on them

as you can see ive already started weathering one (the top one) as they are a bit too clean at the moment :lol:

Attachments

• DSCF0849.JPG
    DSCF0849.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0850.JPG
    DSCF0850.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

fourtytwo

I am amazed reading the work you have been doing in N gauge, you obviously have not reached the shaky hand stage yet (one of the reasons I moved to OO).

Peter C

Established Member
bought some detailed hornby mk2 coaches off ebay recently for £20 which i thought was good considering someone's put flush glazing in them, added transfers, detailed the interiors and put new wheel sets on them

as you can see ive already started weathering one (the top one) as they are a bit too clean at the moment :lol:
Those do look nice. Those transfers on the windows do add a lot. Lovely weathering too!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That’s a pretty decent set of coaches you’ve got there. At that kind of price you don’t mind tinkering around with them either.

VEP3417

I am amazed reading the work you have been doing in N gauge, you obviously have not reached the shaky hand stage yet (one of the reasons I moved to OO).
this is oo gauge not n gauge...i couldnt be doing with n gauge it looks too fiddley :lol:

thanks for the replies, yes i hadnt given much though to hornby mk2s before as i diddnt quite like the way they looked, it haddnt occurred to me to put flush glazing in ect but spotted these and thought i could do something with them....
someone's even painted the tables/chairs/interior walls

i might have to make a mk2 micro buffet to go with them.... :lol:

VEP3417

not posted for a whilst
ive started working on a mixed livery scotrail rake, ive had some intercity livery coaches for ages now but you know me, i like to model something different :lol: ive even made a micro buffet, which was an airfix coach, i repainted as the original blue was slightly wrong, and added transfers ect - theyre far from finished as will need weathering and detailing

will be a mix rake of br blue/scotrail/intercity

done 2 coaches as below, ic red stripe changed to blue, and have another 3 to work on including a dbso i made years ago but never finished

bit of a departure from the southern stuff i normally do but i had these lying around anyway so thought id do something with them

Attachments

• DSCF3895.JPG
    DSCF3895.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCF3896.JPG
    DSCF3896.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Peter C

Established Member
So sorry - I'd seen this earlier (and even looked up what a micro-buffet was) but forgot to respond. Those coaches look really nice - actually I think you might have persuaded me to try thinking about making my own micro-buffet coach; did it take much work beyond the painting/transfers to get it to that stage?

-Peter

VEP3417

no for the blue and grey one it was just, repaint the blue as it was the wrong shade, and add transfers, the transfers dont come with the right thickness of red stripe in my opinion so i painted that on, i plan to go further and weather it ect

ive also built the first series of mk2, micro buffet as well the one with the larger windows with opening quarterlights
and i may also consider making a one of these as well, going a bit micro buffet mad :lol:

Attachments

• p1703256494-3.jpg
    p1703256494-3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13

Peter C

Established Member
Ah cool - thanks. I might look into making my own - I've a few Mk2s which could do with some doing-up :lol:
They are certainly interesting things.

-Peter

VEP3417

i seem to be working on a lot of coaching stock recently rather than emus ect,

ive started on a run down/graffiti ridden rake of parcel van stock :lol: they need more detailing/weathering

Attachments

• DSCF3914.JPG
    DSCF3914.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF3915.JPG
    DSCF3915.JPG

VEP3417

thanks for re opening the thread

been working on a few bits over the past few months, coaches and emus

been converting a class 150 to a class 455 and been working on another class 307 as i was never happy with the first one i made so this second one is made out of some bachmann epbs and is a bit more detailed

Attachments

• DSCF8087.JPG
    DSCF8087.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF8088.JPG
    DSCF8088.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9294.JPG
    DSCF9294.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF9295.JPG
    DSCF9295.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCF9296.JPG
    DSCF9296.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCF6834.JPG
    DSCF6834.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6836.JPG
    DSCF6836.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25

VEP3417

thanks, for someone supposedly modelling southern emus i seem to be going off course a bit :lol: but its nice to model different stuff sometimes

if you dont end up using the epb bodies i seem to be always short of them :lol:

DJ_K666

Impressive stuff! I would love to have a model railway but space and time prohibits. All stashed in crates :(
You could build a micro layout. A depot or shunting puzzle. Or go down the Modular route where you build something to set standards and link it to things others have done too (Look up Fremo, There was a UK Frem00 version too) You don't need oodles of space to build something.

Big Jumby 74

been converting a class 150 to a class 455
I like that. Certainly gives a very sound starting point. If I may ask, what's the plan for the MSO and TSO vehicles? Would love to see an R-T-R 405 (Sub) produced, my bread and butter back in the day, but am guessing the model makers are on very slim margins with EMU models. First generation DMU's probably fair better - as my credit card keeps reminding me :lol:

VEP3417

I like that. Certainly gives a very sound starting point. If I may ask, what's the plan for the MSO and TSO vehicles? Would love to see an R-T-R 405 (Sub) produced, my bread and butter back in the day, but am guessing the model makers are on very slim margins with EMU models. First generation DMU's probably fair better - as my credit card keeps reminding me :lol:
ive already made one centre car, which is the white vehicle you can see in the post, as for the other you can buy resin/3d printed bodies but i havnt got that far yet as theyre a little bit of money plus all the extras you need, as soon as someone makes a rtr sr epb someone will convert that to a 4 sub im sure :lol:

DJ_K666

Well you've done a good job, so your kitbashing has paid off! I'd never have thought of using several different coaches/kits to make one unit.

I like the sound of it. You'd definitely have some good trains to run on it!

Looks like a very nice model you've made so far. The 4-TC units have always interested me because of their appearance as a normal unit but in actual fact they're just loco-hauled (or unit-hauled in a lot of cases) coaches with cabs at either end. What have you used to make the base coach body?

-Peter
Wasn't that thd one that had a 'modern' interior (ie 4CEP style) fitted too as a trial? I know there was one like that.

Harrison Brown does a kit of a Bulleid 4EPB. If you want a Sub you might want to use Bachmann 2EPB underframe and 4CEP centre coaches and maybe put body kits on them. Unless you like the work of the late Colin Parks, whose modelling was phenomenal.

Have a look at thos thread, but be warned, it's pretty addictive reading.

Harrison Brown does a kit of a Bulleid 4EPB. If you want a Sub you might want to use Bachmann 2EPB underframe and 4CEP centre coaches and maybe put body kits on them. Unless you like the work of the late Colin Parks, whose modelling was phenomenal.

Have a look at these threads, but be warned, it's pretty addictive reading.

And

Last edited:

VEP3417

shame none of the photos show up anymore on most of the rmweb threads, they might if you had an account though although flickr deleted a load of non paying customers accounts so thats possibly why they dont show up if they uploaded them with flickr

im still plodding along with all sorts of bits and bobs

class 455
class 307
4tc to name a few

i stopped with the tc car with refurbished windows and just started to build a standard tc in the end

just doing bits and bobs as and when :)

VEP3417

bit more work on 1 car of the 307, which started out life as a bachmann epb ....still another 2/3 cars to do depending on which train i choose to model as they did a 3 car departmental one

Attachments

• DSCF2060.JPG
    DSCF2060.JPG
  • DSCF2062.JPG
    DSCF2062.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.