• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Speculative] Ideas for a Morebus recast in Bournemouth & Poole

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Now that Morebus have very kindly taken on Yellow Buses’ routes following their collapse, I have some ideas for a total recast of services within Bournemouth & Poole to integrate the two networks together and remove number duplication.

My ideas:

Service 1: Poole - Bournemouth - Christchurch. Via North Road, Boscombe & Southbourne Crossroads

Service 1a: Bournemouth - Christchurch - Somerford. Via Boscombe, Iford & Barrack Road

Service 1b: Bournemouth - Christchurch. Via Boscombe & Cranleigh Road

Service 2: Bournemouth - Castlepoint - Bournemouth (circular). Via Winton, Moordown, Muscliffe, Townsend, Boscombe & Springbourne

Service 2a: Same as above but in reverse

Service 3: Poole - Bournemouth - RB Hospital. Via Ashley Cross, Charminster & Castlepoint

Service 4: Poole - Wimborne - Bournemouth. Via Broadstone, Merley, Colehill, Ferndown & Moordown

Service 4a: Poole - Wimborne - Bournemouth. Via Broadstone, Corfe Mullen, Merley, Bearwood & Wallisdown

Service 5: Bournemouth - Ensbury Park - Kinson. Via Charminster, Winton & Leybourne Avenue

Service 5a: Bournemouth - Ensbury Park - Kinson. Via Charminster, Winton & Columbia Road

Service 6: Poole - Tower Park. Via Oakdale & Canford Heath

Service 6a: Poole - Tollerford Road. Via Oakdale & Canford Heath

Service 7: Poole - Rossmore - Bournemouth. Via Alderney, Wallisdown & Winton

Service 7a: Poole - Rossmore - Bournemouth. Via Alderney, Branksome & Westbourne

Service 8: Poole - Turlin Moor - Poole (circular). Via Hamworthy, Upton, Creekmoor & Oakdale

Service 8a: Same as above but in reverse

Service 9: Poole - Kinson - Christchurch. Via Alderney, West Howe, Northbourne & Castlepoint

Service 9a: Poole - Kinson - Christchurch. Via Alderney, Bearwood, Ensbury Park & Castlepoint

Service 80: Alum Chine - Hengistbury Head. Via Bournemouth Pier, East Cliff, Boscombe Pier & Southbourne Overcliff

Service A1: Bournemouth - Aviation Business Park. Via A338, RB Hospital, Hurn & Airport

Service U5: University - RB Hospital. Via Winton, Moordown & Castlepoint

In addition to the above, I would keep the following Morebus routes in their current format:
10, 18, 20, 23, 24, 33, 36, 40, 50, 60, 70, U1, U2, U3, U4, X1, X2, X3, X6, X8, RouteOne

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deconte

Interesting but I suspect that MoreBus would be very reluctant to give up the public awareness of the M1 / M2 route branding they have built up through dedicated marketing over the years !

PTR 444

Established Member
Interesting but I suspect that MoreBus would be very reluctant to give up the public awareness of the M1 / M2 route branding they have built up through dedicated marketing over the years !
I suspect also loyal Yellow Buses customers would be very reluctant at the prospect of the alphanumeric suffix numbering system being ditched yet again after the backlash when it happened the first time. This is why I think there needs to be a compromise to devise a system which changes as few route numbers as possible (mostly by adding suffixes), but still avoids duplication.

Also I find it quite neat how my proposed route 4 takes in sections of both existing route 4s.

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Personally I would prefer to see the Alum Chine - Hengistbury Head numbered as 12! (As it was that number for many years).

SSmith2009

I suspect also loyal Yellow Buses customers would be very reluctant at the prospect of the alphanumeric suffix numbering system being ditched yet again after the backlash when it happened the first time. This is why I think there needs to be a compromise to devise a system which changes as few route numbers as possible (mostly by adding suffixes), but still avoids duplication.

Also I find it quite neat how my proposed route 4 takes in sections of both existing route 4s.
Maybe keep the M1 M2 as M services but new branding to include some yellow into it e.g replace the red with yellow

PTR 444

Established Member
Maybe keep the M1 M2 as M services but new branding to include some yellow into it e.g replace the red with yellow
I think this is a good idea. Prior to the Transdev takeover in 2005/6 I believe Yellow’s livery did incorporate a noticeable amount of blue at the front and back, so would be a nod to this period.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
But with the Xelagroup continuing the Yellow Coaches name, and with @E-Rail reporting in post #353 of the 'The rapid decline of Bournemouth's Yellow Buses network' thread that they understand the council contracted 18, 33 and 36 are to transfer to Xelagroup after Friday, one would assume that these are likely to be worked with vehicles under the Yellow Coaches name (even if to get going they initially use Xelabus vehicles from Eastleigh). Therefore would Go Ahead really want to amend their established image as a nod to a recently failed company - particularly when the Yellow Coaches brand is continuing and potentially going to have yellow-coloured buses on the road too?

miklcct

On Moderation
Now that Morebus have very kindly taken on Yellow Buses’ routes following their collapse, I have some ideas for a total recast of services within Bournemouth & Poole to integrate the two networks together and remove number duplication.

My ideas:

Service 1: Poole - Bournemouth - Christchurch. Via North Road, Boscombe & Southbourne Crossroads

Service 1a: Bournemouth - Christchurch - Somerford. Via Boscombe, Iford & Barrack Road

Service 1b: Bournemouth - Christchurch. Via Boscombe & Cranleigh Road

Service 2: Bournemouth - Castlepoint - Bournemouth (circular). Via Winton, Moordown, Muscliffe, Townsend, Boscombe & Springbourne

Service 2a: Same as above but in reverse

Service 3: Poole - Bournemouth - RB Hospital. Via Ashley Cross, Charminster & Castlepoint

Service 4: Poole - Wimborne - Bournemouth. Via Broadstone, Merley, Colehill, Ferndown & Moordown

Service 4a: Poole - Wimborne - Bournemouth. Via Broadstone, Corfe Mullen, Merley, Bearwood & Wallisdown

Service 5: Bournemouth - Ensbury Park - Kinson. Via Charminster, Winton & Leybourne Avenue

Service 5a: Bournemouth - Ensbury Park - Kinson. Via Charminster, Winton & Columbia Road

Service 6: Poole - Tower Park. Via Oakdale & Canford Heath

Service 6a: Poole - Tollerford Road. Via Oakdale & Canford Heath

Service 7: Poole - Rossmore - Bournemouth. Via Alderney, Wallisdown & Winton

Service 7a: Poole - Rossmore - Bournemouth. Via Alderney, Branksome & Westbourne

Service 8: Poole - Turlin Moor - Poole (circular). Via Hamworthy, Upton, Creekmoor & Oakdale

Service 8a: Same as above but in reverse

Service 9: Poole - Kinson - Christchurch. Via Alderney, West Howe, Northbourne & Castlepoint

Service 9a: Poole - Kinson - Christchurch. Via Alderney, Bearwood, Ensbury Park & Castlepoint

Service 80: Alum Chine - Hengistbury Head. Via Bournemouth Pier, East Cliff, Boscombe Pier & Southbourne Overcliff

Service A1: Bournemouth - Aviation Business Park. Via A338, RB Hospital, Hurn & Airport

Service U5: University - RB Hospital. Via Winton, Moordown & Castlepoint

In addition to the above, I would keep the following Morebus routes in their current format:
10, 18, 20, 23, 24, 33, 36, 40, 50, 60, 70, U1, U2, U3, U4, X1, X2, X3, X6, X8, RouteOne
Where is the ex-Yellow 6 (Bournemouth - University - Bearwood - Merley - Wimborne)?

PTR 444

Established Member
Where is the ex-Yellow 6 (Bournemouth - University - Bearwood - Merley - Wimborne)?
Seems to be in the 4a
Yes that is correct. I thought it would make sense so both routes from Bournemouth to Wimborne could be in the 4 series, with these both continuing onwards to Poole. This numbering also allows the 6 number to be kept on the Poole - Canford Heath corridor.

miklcct

On Moderation
I think the idea in #1 is good for the most services between 1 to 6, with the through running via Wimborne providing much more direct journey opportunities requiring a change between the 4 and 13 currently. However, as the 3 is used at Poole with a totally different meaning, the change needs to be done in two stages to prevent confusion - first rename the current 3 and 3x to 4a and 4x, then after a few months, change the m1 to 3.

However, I have other thoughts for the services outside 1 to 6. The Poole - Alderney - Rossmore - (Westbourne / Wallisdown) - Bournemouth services should be kept as 16 and 17 in my opinion. The number 13 will be retired and subsumed into the 4, given that it already overlaps 4 in Bournemouth. There is also no need to change the numbers 8 and 9 as well as they works perfectly. And you have missed the contracted services 7A / 7B / 7C. For Poole - Kinson services, I suggest the 11, 14 and 15 to be reorganised, extending both 11 and 15 to Christchurch on combined half-hourly headway (taking similar time between Poole and Bournemouth Hospital) and keeping the 14 as-is.

For the Breezer services, I will use just extend the 70 to Hengistbury Head in summer, and divert the 50 via Alum Chine in winter, such that the former 12 will be gone forever, with East Cliff and Hengistbury served by the contracted route 33.

And the airport A1 service should end at Northbourne to provide a local bus connection as well.

So to summarise my idea:
1 / 1b (8 buses per hour): Poole - Upper Parkstone - Bournemouth - Southbourne / Cranleigh Road - Christchurch
3 (8 buses per hour): Poole - Lower Parkstone - Bournemouth - Charminster - Castlepoint - Hospital
1a (8 buses per hour): Bournemouth - Iford - Somerford ( - New Milton)
1 and 1b are on combined headway, 6 buses per hour for 1 and 2 buses per hour for 1b, giving a total of 8 buses per hour
These 8 buses are further combined with 3 to give 16 buses per hour west of Bournemouth
East or Bournemouth, the 8 buses per hour on 1/1b are combined with another 8 buses per hour on 1a to give 16 buses per hour.
2 / 2a (clockwise & anti-clockwise): Bournemouth - Springbourne - Hospital - Townsend - Castlepoint - Muscliff - Winton - Bournemouth
4 / 4a (combined headway every 15 minutes): Poole - Broadstone - Merley / Corfe Mullen - Wimborne - Ferndown / Merley - Moordown / Wallisdown - Bournemouth
5 / 5a (combined headway): as current
6 / 6a (combined headway): Poole - Canford Heath - Tower Park / Tollerford Road
7a / 7b / 7c: as contracted
8 / 9: as current
10: as current
11 / 15 (combined half-hourly): extend to Christchurch
12: eaten by the extended 70 in summer
13: eaten by the extended 4
14: as current
16 / 17 (combined 15-minute headway): as current
50: divert via Alum Chine in winter
70 (hourly): extend to Hengistbury Head
A1 (hourly): Bournemouth - Rail Station - express to Airport - Aviation Business Park - Northbourne roundabout

So I am keeping as many as the current numbers if possible.

PTR 444

Established Member
I see your wish has been granted by MoreBus !
It breaks the convention of their Breezer numbering system though, which is done in multiples of 10. Hence that routes 40, 50, 60 and 70 already exist, logic follows that the next breezer/open top/summer route should be numbered 80.

deconte

It breaks the convention of their Breezer numbering system though, which is done in multiples of 10. Hence that routes 40, 50, 60 and 70 already exist, logic follows that the next breezer/open top/summer route should be numbered 80.
Yes a fair point regarding the 60, 70, 80 etc.

Another question occurred to me about renumbering: where would you place the 7a 7b 7c Parkstone circulars?

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
I see your wish has been granted by MoreBus !
Power to the People!

Actually that route : route number has operated for many many years so re-introducing it is a nod to heritage and tradition.

PTR 444

Established Member
Another question occurred to me about renumbering: where would you place the 7a 7b 7c Parkstone circulars?
That’s a good point actually. I would probably renumber them to P1, P2 and P3 (the P standing for Parkstone) as they aren’t very important services in the greater scheme of things.

I think the idea in #1 is good for the most services between 1 to 6, with the through running via Wimborne providing much more direct journey opportunities requiring a change between the 4 and 13 currently. However, as the 3 is used at Poole with a totally different meaning, the change needs to be done in two stages to prevent confusion - first rename the current 3 and 3x to 4a and 4x, then after a few months, change the m1 to 3.

However, I have other thoughts for the services outside 1 to 6. The Poole - Alderney - Rossmore - (Westbourne / Wallisdown) - Bournemouth services should be kept as 16 and 17 in my opinion. The number 13 will be retired and subsumed into the 4, given that it already overlaps 4 in Bournemouth. There is also no need to change the numbers 8 and 9 as well as they works perfectly. And you have missed the contracted services 7A / 7B / 7C. For Poole - Kinson services, I suggest the 11, 14 and 15 to be reorganised, extending both 11 and 15 to Christchurch on combined half-hourly headway (taking similar time between Poole and Bournemouth Hospital) and keeping the 14 as-is.

For the Breezer services, I will use just extend the 70 to Hengistbury Head in summer, and divert the 50 via Alum Chine in winter, such that the former 12 will be gone forever, with East Cliff and Hengistbury served by the contracted route 33.

And the airport A1 service should end at Northbourne to provide a local bus connection as well.

So to summarise my idea:
1 / 1b (8 buses per hour): Poole - Upper Parkstone - Bournemouth - Southbourne / Cranleigh Road - Christchurch
3 (8 buses per hour): Poole - Lower Parkstone - Bournemouth - Charminster - Castlepoint - Hospital
1a (8 buses per hour): Bournemouth - Iford - Somerford ( - New Milton)
1 and 1b are on combined headway, 6 buses per hour for 1 and 2 buses per hour for 1b, giving a total of 8 buses per hour
These 8 buses are further combined with 3 to give 16 buses per hour west of Bournemouth
East or Bournemouth, the 8 buses per hour on 1/1b are combined with another 8 buses per hour on 1a to give 16 buses per hour.
2 / 2a (clockwise & anti-clockwise): Bournemouth - Springbourne - Hospital - Townsend - Castlepoint - Muscliff - Winton - Bournemouth
4 / 4a (combined headway every 15 minutes): Poole - Broadstone - Merley / Corfe Mullen - Wimborne - Ferndown / Merley - Moordown / Wallisdown - Bournemouth
5 / 5a (combined headway): as current
6 / 6a (combined headway): Poole - Canford Heath - Tower Park / Tollerford Road
7a / 7b / 7c: as contracted
8 / 9: as current
10: as current
11 / 15 (combined half-hourly): extend to Christchurch
12: eaten by the extended 70 in summer
13: eaten by the extended 4
14: as current
16 / 17 (combined 15-minute headway): as current
50: divert via Alum Chine in winter
70 (hourly): extend to Hengistbury Head
A1 (hourly): Bournemouth - Rail Station - express to Airport - Aviation Business Park - Northbourne roundabout

So I am keeping as many as the current numbers if possible.
This post did not appear in the thread until now, so I have only just read this.

I like the idea of interworking the 1 with the 1b, however if doing it that way I would prefer that both Southbourne Crossroads and Cranleigh Road get an evenly spaced service, just like how Yellow Buses route 1b/1c used to operate. It is a shame that Yellows rationalised the 1b in favour of the 1c route to snatch custom from More when they extended the m2 to Southbourne Crossroads, as it has left Cranleigh Road with a vastly reduced service compared to just 5 years ago. I’d say the 1/1b could operate every 15 minutes each (giving 8 buses per hour total), or every 20 minutes (6 buses per hour combined) if budgets and resources are tight.

As much as I feel that the 7a/7b/7c numbers are wasted on their current routes, it’s probably going to be a lot of hassle to change due to these being tendered services, so may be best left alone.

My reasoning behind renumbering the 8/9 as 8/8a was because it follows on from the 2/2a numbering convention - The suffix symbolises the anti-clockwise direction.

I feel that the 15 could be subsumed into the U2 route, since they are both very similar except the latter only runs during term time. My idea was to withdraw the 15 and additionally run the U2 hourly during university vacations, but you could also do the opposite - withdraw the U2 and run the 15 half-hourly during term time. I’m not sure how many passengers use the 15 end to end but I’d suspect very few considering the m1 now runs to RB hospital, and the only direct links lost by its withdrawal would be Parkstone - University/Winton and University - RB Hospital. Even so, I suggested a replacement for the latter flow in the form of a new U5 route running term time only.

OLD POST ABOVE - NEW POST BELOW

Another idea I’ve just come up with in response to people’s recommendations of keeping the m1/m2 services - maybe some of the ex-Yellows routes could be subsumed into the m-prefix network. While denoting high-frequency corridors, it could also eliminate the need to renumber the duplicate routes in Poole.

I would propose:

m1 route stays as it is, although frequency dropped to every 10 minutes

m2 is extended to Christchurch and interworked with a new route m3

m3 follows the exact same route as the m2, but running via Cranleigh Road rather than Southbourne Crossroads. m2/m3 operate at 20 minute intervals each, providing a combined 10 minute frequency on the common sections.

m4 is a direct replacement of the 1a running every 10 minutes, providing a combined 5-minute interval frequency with the m2/m3 between Bournemouth and Pokesdown

m5 is a direct replacement of the ex-Yellows 5, running every 20 minutes

m6 is a direct replacement of the ex-Yellows 5a, running every 20 minutes. Between Ensbury Park and Charminster, both the m5/m6 provide a combined 10 minute frequency, which is then combined with the m1 for a 5-minute interval from there to Bournemouth.

This means most of the Morebus routes in Poole will not need to change their number. Assuming the 3 and 4 are extended from Wimborne to Bournemouth as mentioned in the OP, that only leaves the ex-YB 2 & 4 to renumber. The best fit for these two would probably be 21 and 22 as they are consecutive numbers which have not been used for some time.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
I like the idea of interworking the 1 with the 1b, however if doing it that way I would prefer that both Southbourne Crossroads and Cranleigh Road get an evenly spaced service, just like how Yellow Buses route 1b/1c used to operate. It is a shame that Yellows rationalised the 1b in favour of the 1c route to snatch custom from More when they extended the m2 to Southbourne Crossroads, as it has left Cranleigh Road with a vastly reduced service compared to just 5 years ago. I’d say the 1/1b could operate every 15 minutes each (giving 8 buses per hour total), or every 20 minutes (6 buses per hour combined) if budgets and resources are tight.
It will not be viable to operate 1 / 1b evenly spaced as Southbourne needs more service compared to Cranleigh Road, therefore my proposal is 3:1.

PTR 444

Established Member
It will not be viable to operate 1 / 1b evenly spaced as Southbourne needs more service compared to Cranleigh Road, therefore my proposal is 3:1.
Ahh fair enough. The only issue is that Southbourne - Tuckton will get an unevenly spaced service. However you could extend the half-hourly u3 route to the current m2 terminus which would fill the gaps.

deconte

Ahh fair enough. The only issue is that Southbourne - Tuckton will get an unevenly spaced service. However you could extend the half-hourly u3 route to the current m2 terminus which would fill the gaps.
Interesting idea but it would cost an extra bus added to the usual two bus half hourly U3 cycle to go past Fisherman’s Walk. Such an extra bus would have time to go as far as Tuckton (if not even further).

miklcct

On Moderation
Interesting idea but it would cost an extra bus added to the usual two bus half hourly U3 cycle to go past Fisherman’s Walk. Such an extra bus would have time to go as far as Tuckton (if not even further).
Can U3 cope with the demand if the headway is changed to every 40 minutes?

PTR 444

Established Member
Can U3 cope with the demand if the headway is changed to every 40 minutes?
I was thinking it could slot into the Southbourne bus pattern like this:

On a 7-8 minute headway:
xx00 - 1 to Christchurch
xx07 - 1 to Christchurch
xx15 - 1b to Christchurch/U3 to Tuckton
xx22 - 1 to Christchurch
xx30 - 1 to Christchurch
xx37 - 1 to Christchurch
xx45 - 1b to Christchurch/U3 to Tuckton
xx52 - 1 to Christchurch

On a 10-minute headway:
xx00 - 1 to Christchurch
xx10 - 1b to Christchurch/U3 to Tuckton
xx20 - 1 to Christchurch
xx30 - 1 to Christchurch
xx40 - 1b to Christchurch/U3 to Tuckton
xx50 - 1 to Christchurch

With both options the U3 would still be half-hourly, although these would be timed to run directly behind or in front of the 1b. Note that these timings are just a guide, and also 1 and 1b could alternatively be numbered m2 and m3 as per post #16.

E-Rail

U3 route and times are chosen and specified by Bournemouth University. They do not form part of the morebus commercial network other than for ticketing purposes.

miklcct

On Moderation
U3 route and times are chosen and specified by Bournemouth University. They do not form part of the morebus commercial network other than for ticketing purposes.
It's entirely possible for the university and morebus to deal with it as part of the bus service contract.

PTR 444

Established Member
IIRC Route U3 used to only run during term time until Yellow Buses axed the 25/26 routes along Richmond Park Road. Was it really the University’s decision (rather than Morebus) to start operating it during the holidays when seldom of its clientele would be using it?

Wychwood93

IIRC Route U3 used to only run during term time until Yellow Buses axed the 25/26 routes along Richmond Park Road. Was it really the University’s decision (rather than Morebus) to start operating it during the holidays when seldom of its clientele would be using it?
The 'vacation' timetable finishes earlier. The even shorter Saturday service (7 each way) covers both term time and vacations.

miklcct

On Moderation
40 minutes frequency isn’t passenger friendly. Every 30 minutes is easily committed to memory.
I don't see how it isn't unfriendly like 20 minutes.

What I consider isn't passenger friendly are headways like 19, 23, 37, etc. - large prime numbers., or even worse, given as a range like 23-28, etc.

duncombec

I don't see how it isn't unfriendly like 20 minutes.

What I consider isn't passenger friendly are headways like 19, 23, 37, etc. - large prime numbers., or even worse, given as a range like 23-28, etc.
Because at 20 minutes, the times will be the same each hour - 10:00, 10:20, 10:40, 11:00, 11:20, etc. At 40 minutes, the pattern only repeats every 2 hours - 10:00, 10:40, 11:20, 12:00, 12:40, etc.

If you have to remember which hour pattern is being used, then it's not an easy to remember timetable. If you think you've remembered, if you turn up at the bus stop at 11:15 and find the bus is at 11:20, you'll wait. If you turn up and find it's at 11:40, you won't. Wherever possible, clockface timetables with repeating patterns are always the ideal option for frequencies below 10 minutes (the generally held "turn up and go" time).

miklcct

On Moderation
Because at 20 minutes, the times will be the same each hour - 10:00, 10:20, 10:40, 11:00, 11:20, etc. At 40 minutes, the pattern only repeats every 2 hours - 10:00, 10:40, 11:20, 12:00, 12:40, etc.
The next step up from 30 minutes, if we insist on the same each hour, is 60 minutes. This is usually an unacceptable service reduction.

I have known that some bus routes have reduced the frequency from 30 to 35 minutes when the company found out that the buses seldom run on time. If it was reduced to 60 it would be a disaster. Now here, 35 is hard to remember as each hour has different departure times, not so for 40 (e.g. even hours 00, 40; odd hours 20).

Titfield

Established Member
I had previously suggested that the area should have an overall co-=ordinating body called (not surprisingly) TfD = Transport for Dorset.

However yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that the area covered was really East Dorset.

Hence my new proposed name is TED = Transport for East Dorset.

Its a really catchy name and then if you wanted to find out bus times all you would have to do is Ask Ted.

Status
Not open for further replies.