• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Speculative] Ideas for a Morebus recast in Bournemouth & Poole

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
I had previously suggested that the area should have an overall co-=ordinating body called (not surprisingly) TfD = Transport for Dorset.

However yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that the area covered was really East Dorset.

Hence my new proposed name is TED = Transport for East Dorset.

Its a really catchy name and then if you wanted to find out bus times all you would have to do is Ask Ted.
Surely it should be TfBCP?
(Transport for Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Surely it should be TfBCP?
(Transport for Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole)

Well yes but TED is much more memorable than TfBCP which sounds like the name of a cream you apply to stings and rashes.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Its a really catchy name and then if you wanted to find out bus times all you would have to do is Ask Ted.
It could also see Yellow Buses' Buster Bear back in employment as a mascot for local public transport, following his recent redundancy.

Titfield

Established Member
It could also see Yellow Buses' Buster Bear back in employment as a mascot for local public transport, following his recent redundancy.

It makes me wonder what happened to Beeper The Frog - the marketing character used by National Express in the very early 1980s?

Actually I do know a sad side story on this. Beeper was voiced and animated by the actor Ian Sandy who passed away in December 2012 at the age of 48.

I met him at a National Express promotion (with Hants and Dorset) in iirc 1981.

PTR 444

Established Member
Only one month on and I already have a revision to my original plan:

With the confirmation that More will be withdrawing their 11 route to Bearwood and the X6 being diverted to replace this, all future ideas will take this concrete plan into account. My original proposal was to replace the current 11 with a route 9 between Poole and RB Hospital, but now I believe this route can be adequately served by other routes.

Firstly, the m1 and m2 have grown to become iconic route identities in the area that it would do more harm than good to replace them. I would keep these as they are, with the sole addition of an extension on the m2 to Christchurch (Two Riversmeet Leisure Centre). This gives Southbourne Crossroads its sole bus service with a high frequency.

Now that the m1 and m2 numbers are retained, I would have to avoid using any additional numbers in the 1 and 2 series to prevent confusion arising, therefore the 1a/1b and 2/2a would have to be renumbered. For the former, I would number these as 11 and 12 respectively since these will become unused consecutive numbers in the area (next summer my proposal will see the existing 12 incorporated into the x0 numbering system for Breezer routes). The 2/2a would make most sense being changed to 4/4a, which would then mean the Poole - Wimborne routes would have to become 3/3a. Unlike the existing 1b, route 12 would run via Springbourne between Bournemouth and Boscombe to provide a 15-minute frequency along Holdenhurst Road combined with the 4/4a.

Another change is the abandonment of my idea to merge the Poole - Wimborne with the Wimborne - Bournemouth routes. While I thought this was a great idea to improve connectivity, it would probably have too much of a negative impact on timekeeping due to the numerous congestion hotspots these routes pass through. The 3/3a would terminate at Wimborne, 13 would retain its number for the Bournemouth via Ferndown route, while Bournemouth via Merley would be incorporated into the new route 9 as I will explain further on.

My plans for the 5/5a, 6/6a and 8/8a remain unchanged.

As for the 7 series, I think it would be best left alone on its current Parkstone circular routes. Since these routes are council tendered, changing them would be a lot of hassle for no gain. To put this into context, look what happened when Yellow Buses tried to get the 18, 33 and 36 renumbered to H1, D1 and U8 respectively, only for the short-lived alphanumeric system to be abandoned.

Routes 9 and 9a would now be allocated to the Bournemouth - Wallisdown - Bearwood corridor. These routes would be the exact same as the current 6/6a in all but number (9 Bournemouth to Wimborne, 9a to Kinson) to differentiate from the routes from Poole to Canford Heath, which IMHO would be a better fit for the 6/6a.

With the changes to the 7/7a and 9/9a, numbers 14, 16 and 17 would now be retained on their existing route. The 15 would remain too.

Finally, the A1 would be extended to Kinson to provide a direct link from the airport to northern suburbs of Bournemouth. Apart from the twice-daily 32, this would be the only bus service serving Wimborne Road in Northbourne.

Summary of changes:

m1: Poole - Ashley Cross - Bournemouth - Charminster - Castlepoint - RB Hospital

m2: Poole - North Road - Bournemouth - Boscombe - Southbourne - Christchurch

3: Poole - Broadstone - Corfe Mullen - Wimborne

3a: Poole - Broadstone - Merley - Wimborne

4: Bournemouth - Winton - Muscliffe - Castlepoint - Townsend - RB Hospital - Boscombe - Springbourne - Bournemouth

4a: Same as above but in reverse

5: Bournemouth - Charminster - Winton - Leybourne Avenue - West Howe - Kinson

5a: Bournemouth - Charminster - Winton - Columbia Road - West Howe - Kinson

6: Poole - Canford Heath - Tower Park

6a: Poole - Canford Heath - Tollerford Road

7a/7b/7c: Parkstone local routes

8: Poole - Hamworthy - Turlin Moor - Upton - Creekmoor - Poole

8a: Same as above but in reverse

9: Bournemouth - Winton - University - Wallisdown - Bearwood - Wimborne

9a: Bournemouth - Winton - University - Wallisdown - Bearwood - Kinson

11: Bournemouth - Boscombe - Iford - Christchurch - Somerford Sainsbury’s

12: Bournemouth - Springbourne - Boscombe - Cranleigh Road - Christchurch

13: Bournemouth - Winton - Northbourne - Ferndown - Colehill - Wimborne

14: Poole - Alderney - Wallisdown - West Howe - Kinson - Ensbury Park - Castlepoint - RB Hospital

15: Poole - Upper Parkstone - Alder Road - University - Winton - Castlepoint - RB Hospital

16: Poole - Alderney - Arne Avenue - Branksome - Westbourne - Bournemouth

17: Poole - Alderney - Arne Avenue - University - Winton - Bournemouth

A1: Bournemouth - RB Hospital - Bournemouth Airport - Aviation Business Park - Northbourne - Kinson

50: Diverted via Alum Chine during winter months

70: Extended to Hengistbury Head when it resumes operation next summer
X6: Diverted via Bearwood to replace the current 11

All other Morebus routes would remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.