• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed limiters in cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No shows 40 when when doing 37. The actually speed is under the indicated speed.

Ah, that is over-reading, which most cars do because it's the easiest way to avoid under-reading (as things happen like tyres wear or are replaced with ones with a slightly different circumference), which renders the vehicle unroadworthy. Typically it's by about 5% or so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
No, it wouldn't. Modern engines are fine with it, the stop won't be for long enough to significantly affect the temperature of the engine, and vehicles so fitted are generally fitted with beefier starter motors and batteries to take account of the more frequent use.
The battery on my current car which has stop/start is certainly a damn sight more expensive, as I found when it needed replacing in the spring.

Ediswan

Established Member
Ah, that is over-reading, which most cars do because it's the easiest way to avoid under-reading (as things happen like tyres wear or are replaced with ones with a slightly different circumference), which renders the vehicle unroadworthy. Typically it's by about 5% or so.
As tyres wear, the speedometer will over-read more, but not by much. In practice, speedometer accuracy is not checked during an MOT test. Prosecutions for under-reading may have occured, but I can't find any. Far more likely to collect speeding fines.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The battery on my current car which has stop/start is certainly a damn sight more expensive, as I found when it needed replacing in the spring.

Indeed, as they are not only bigger, but also have extra electronic control systems attached.

Applepie356

Intelligent speed assist (ISA) have been recently introduced to buses in London. They use GPS to limit the bus to the local speed limit and it seems pretty reliable so far.

I don’t see any reason why such a system can’t be mandatory on cars manufactured after a certain date.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Intelligent speed assist (ISA) have been recently introduced to buses in London. They use GPS to limit the bus to the local speed limit and it seems pretty reliable so far.

I don’t see any reason why such a system can’t be mandatory on cars manufactured after a certain date.

GPS isn't accurate enough for that to work generally. It probably works in London because speed limits are somewhat zonal and mostly 20 or 30 anyway. If you were doing 70 on a motorway and suddenly lost power (or worse, braked) because it thought you were in a 20, that would be potentially deadly.

talltim

Established Member
Some (most)? modern cars enable the driver to set a speed limiter to avoid accidentally going over the limit but of course this is under the driver's control. An absolute upper limit might be feasible but wouldn't solve the problem of excess speed on roads below the national speed limit. I don't believe technology to enforce lower speed limits and override the driver is yet reliable enough. We discussed this recently - posts 185 and above in the thread below. Post 195 gives the example where a car misread a 50mph sign for 5mph

I recently drove my work pool car for the first time. At one point the dashboard screen said the speed limit was 70, but the (built in) sat nav screen said the limit was 60....
If the car can't even make its mind up, what hape do we have?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
GPS isn't accurate enough for that to work generally. It probably works in London because speed limits are somewhat zonal and mostly 20 or 30 anyway. If you were doing 70 on a motorway and suddenly lost power (or worse, braked) because it thought you were in a 20, that would be potentially deadly.
Yes, this is a really serious prospect. Some slip roads have a 30 limit and in London there are 50mph dual carriageways which run parallel to 20mph local roads.

Ken H

On Moderation
Yes, this is a really serious prospect. Some slip roads have a 30 limit and in London there are 50mph dual carriageways which run parallel to 20mph local roads.
Theer is the A168 which runs parralel to the M1 btween Wetherby and Scotch corner. Not dual carriageway so 60 national speed limit applies. Can satnav tell if a car is on A168 or M1? Reliably?

ABB125

Established Member
Theer is the A168 which runs parralel to the M1 btween Wetherby and Scotch corner. Not dual carriageway so 60 national speed limit applies. Can satnav tell if a car is on A168 or M1? Reliably?
(Engage pedant mode)

It's actually the A1(M), not M1. But the premise is correct

apk55

I would expect the software in system to have some intelligence.
For example if it established that you were on a motorway then it would know that you could not suddenly jump to nearby side street with a 20 mph limit. Also it might default to the highest local speed limit within the range of uncertainty (after a cold start) until it established which roads it was on. I would also expect some provision to detect the presence of GPS jammers and if it detected the presence of one by for example the measured road speed is different from GPS speed signal to default to a low speed limit (30MPH?).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would expect the software in system to have some intelligence.
For example if it established that you were on a motorway then it would know that you could not suddenly jump to nearby side street with a 20 mph limit. Also it might default to the highest local speed limit within the range of uncertainty (after a cold start) until it established which roads it was on. I would also expect some provision to detect the presence of GPS jammers and if it detected the presence of one by for example the measured road speed is different from GPS speed signal to default to a low speed limit (30MPH?).

Defaulting to a lower limit would be really, really dangerous. A car limited to 30 on a motorway would soon be involved in a really serious collision if it didn't happen in the near side lane.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It would have to default to a higher limit in the event of any uncertainty, or the national limit if it had no useful information on location. However the Russians and others appear able to spoof GPS so it undetectably gives an incorrect location, and if there's a motive for people to do that to avoid speed limits then it may well be that mini-spoofers (with limited range to cover only the nearby receiver) could join radar detectors and other law-breaking technology on the market.

apk55

I agree that we have to consider the posibility that the GPS signal is lost. As well as jammers and possibly terrorist action there is also the possibility of natural events. For example the earth being hit by a coronal mass ejection from the sun This has happened in the past for example the Carrington event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event which might fry all the GPS satellites. Personaly I would like to see systems default to a lower speed limit possibly 40MPH which would enable people to still get around and provide a deterrent for using a GPS jammer.

AM9

Veteran Member
I agree that we have to consider the posibility that the GPS signal is lost. As well as jammers and possibly terrorist action there is also the possibility of natural events. For example the earth being hit by a coronal mass ejection from the sun This has happened in the past for example the Carrington event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event which might fry all the GPS satellites. Personaly I would like to see systems default to a lower speed limit possibly 40MPH which would enable people to still get around and provide a deterrent for using a GPS jammer.
It seems that all these potential GPS issues are being considered only in the situation where every driver drives with their foot flat on the floor relying on the speed limiters to protect them from both prosecution and being involved in any collision.

PeterC

Established Member
It seems that all these potential GPS issues are being considered only in the situation where every driver drives with their foot flat on the floor relying on the speed limiters to protect them from both prosecution and being involved in any collision.
I am not sure why you imagine that driving at the legal limit involves having your "foot flat on the floor". I have seen collisions narrowly avoided when traffic is driving at 40 in a 40 limit and one numpty panics on seeing a camera and slams the brakes on. That was only a 10mph drop, if a "smart limiter" suddenly and incorrectly picks up the wrong limit on a national speed limit road the difference could be 40 or 50 mph. To avoid a collision if that sort of braking occurs without warning you need to be totally focussed on the car in front. In practice a good part of your attention is on the cars ahead of that one to anticipate anything that will cause him to brake.

Last edited:

87 027

This thread was started on the premise that a speed limiter that is not capable of being overridden by the driver might be able to prevent incidents such as the level crossing smash where the car couldn't stop in time. All that is being pointed out is that there are scenarios where solutions based on existing technology (GPS, road sign recognition) may not be robust enough when they become an intrinsic part of a safety critical system or otherwise capable of putting a car in harm's way if they do not function as expected, rather than merely a driver's aid

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
If that happens (and I agree that it's a possibility in the short term and a near certainty in the long term), I suspect that car speed limiters not working will be one of society's smaller concerns...
The collapse of world financial systems (which depend on super-accurate GPS time signals), aircraft navigation and control systems, and the potential destruction of internet systems, are among the, um, possible little difficulties.

AM9

Veteran Member
I am not sure why you imagine that driving at the legal limit involves having your "foot flat on the floor". I have seen collisions narrowly avoided when traffic is driving at 40 in a 40 limit and one numpty panics on seeing a camera and slams the brakes on. That was only a 10mph drop, if a "smart limiter" suddenly and incorrectly picks up the wrong limit on a national speed limit road the difference could be 40 or 50 mph. To avoid a collision if that sort of braking occurs without warning you need to be totally focussed on the car in front. In practice a good part of your attention is on the cars ahead of that one to anticipate anything that will cause him to brake.
I didn't say that driving at the legal limit involves having a foo flat to the floor. What I was referring to was that in situations where there are absolute limiters, (in this case a speed limiter) drivers know that it will usually prevent them exceeding that speed so the limiter takes the place of the accelerator and the pedal functionally becomes a go/stop switch, i.e. the risk of speeding is normalised because of the limiter, that is, until it malfunctions.

87 027

I didn't say that driving at the legal limit involves having a foo flat to the floor. What I was referring to was that in situations where there are absolute limiters, (in this case a speed limiter) drivers know that it will usually prevent them exceeding that speed so the limiter takes the place of the accelerator and the pedal functionally becomes a go/stop switch, i.e. the risk of speeding is normalised because of the limiter, that is, until it malfunctions.
I make extensive use of cruise control as my driving is mostly long distance on motorways. My own car being older does not have adaptive cruise control; however having driven cars which do I totally get the advantages. I also see great benefits in driver controlled speed limiters, particularly in EVs where "every little helps" in preserving range. Furthermore I drive using Waze as a guide to hazards ahead which has the advantage of providing a GPS indication of speed in addition to the indicated reading of the speedometer so I never consciously go over the limit. Where I have reservations is in having the car decide it knows 100% better than my judgement in 100% of situations.

I don't believe that anyone who has seriously looked into the limitations of Artificial Intelligence would unhesitatingly endorse it just yet as a panacea to fully autonomous vehicle control. It has great potential, and I think there are fantastic possibilities for the future, but that is for the longer term.
------
Interesting explanation in one of today's papers of why speedometers typically overread. According to the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, speedometers are not allowed to indicate any reading lower than your true speed, but are allowed to overread by up to 10% + 6.25 mph. To measure speed precisely the sensor counting the rotations of the driveshaft needs to know the circumference of the tyres, but this is not necessarily a constant as it can be affected by factors such as tyre size, tread wear, inflated pressure and ambient temperature. Therefore, manufacturers play safe and calibrate the speedometer to overread by a suitable margin of error to allow for changes in tyre size and conditions.

Last edited:

Factotum

I make extensive use of cruise control as my driving is mostly long distance on motorways. My own car being older does not have adaptive cruise control; however having driven cars which do I totally get the advantages. I also see great benefits in driver controlled speed limiters, particularly in EVs where "every little helps" in preserving range. Furthermore I drive using Waze as a guide to hazards ahead which has the advantage of providing a GPS indication of speed in addition to the indicated reading of the speedometer so I never consciously go over the limit. Where I have reservations is in having the car decide it knows 100% better than my judgement in 100% of situations.

I don't believe that anyone who has seriously looked into the limitations of Artificial Intelligence would unhesitatingly endorse it just yet as a panacea to fully autonomous vehicle control. It has great potential, and I think there are fantastic possibilities for the future, but that is for the longer term.
------
Interesting explanation in one of today's papers of why speedometers typically overread. According to the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, speedometers are not allowed to indicate any reading lower than your true speed, but are allowed to overread by up to 10% + 6.25 mph. To measure speed precisely the sensor counting the rotations of the driveshaft needs to know the circumference of the tyres, but this is not necessarily a constant as it can be affected by factors such as tyre size, tread wear, inflated pressure and ambient temperature. Therefore, manufacturers play safe and calibrate the speedometer to overread by a suitable margin of error to allow for changes in tyre size and conditions.
Yes. My Toyota under reads by 3mph on standard tyres and 2mph on winter tyres

philthetube

Established Member
This point about the braking issue keeps being made, one thing which will not happen is cars dropping anchors to get down to speed limits, it is obvious to all that that would be very dangerous and no one is stupid enough to introduce that.

apk55

I made the point earlier that speed limiters should have some intelligence built into them and if it has established that you are on motorway you can not suddenly jump to a urban side road with a 20MPH limit. While GPS can give a very accurate speed measurement over a long distance and time, in an urban environment with poor signals due high buildings etc it can get confused and lose lock for a few seconds and say you are over the speed limit when you are defiantly not. This often happens with my cheap satnav particularly when accelerating or changing direction.
One easy solution would be to have a separate speed signal from the road wheels (a simple magnetic probe in the gearbox would do) and use that for speed sensing. With some intelligence built in the software it could even enable the system to cope with tunnels so that it knows you have say a mile to go before you get a signal again.
It could even be made to be self calibrating so if the tire size changed it could compensate.

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
With some intelligence built in the software it could even enable the system to cope with tunnels so that it knows you have say a mile to go before you get a signal again.
All the cars with built-in GPS I have owned included inertial guidance. They will quite happily keep track through long Alpine tunnels.

apk55

All the cars with built-in GPS I have owned included inertial guidance. They will quite happily keep track through long Alpine tunnels.
I agree inertial guidance can achieve this although they are prone to drift. Most use other inputs such as axle probes and GPS signals to constantly compensate for drift.

Ediswan

Established Member
I agree inertial guidance can achieve this although they are prone to drift. Most use other inputs such as axle probes and GPS signals to constantly compensate for drift.
Agreed that inertial guidance will drift. In cars, it is definitely a backup to GPS. It should easily last long enough for any of the scenarios suggested in this thread though. I once had the car antenna fail while in Austria, so no GPS signal on the way home. Between interial guidance and 'must be following a road' logic, the system hung on remarkably well, but eventually ended up circling a field in Belgium.

Hopefully the days of truly bizzare GPS wrong answers are behind us. At startup, a now vintage handheld stated we were doing 600mph off the coast of Norway. The true position was Fort Dunlop on the M6.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Except the very act of regular start and stop *does* wear engines and other components, you can "beef them up" all you like, but you're having to do that to offset some of that additional wear & tear.

And it's debateable whether or not it actually *saves* fuel - because again, more fuel is used starting the engine than if the engine had been left idling for a short time.

Not for the first time such benefits are more about "virtue signalling" than actual, tangible benefits. And often they are the exact opposite for the person who owns the product as they are paying more for an inferior product.
One of the motoring TV shows did a test. If I recall correctly, they put a litre of fuel into two identical cars then drove along a pre determined route around Birmingham. The car that cut the engine at red lights went quite a bit further before it ran out.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Well you get some pretty dangerous bunching when lorries hit their limiters when overtaking on dual carriageways.
Many times that I've driven on motorways, I've encountered a lorry that's taken several miles to overtake another one, clogging things up somewhat, with all faster traffic (that is, all motors, most vans) squeezed into the overtaking lane. There was on, I think, the Newsthump a spoof tale of a lorry driver given a prize for taking from Junction 5 to Junction 19 on the M1 to overtake another lorry; a bit of an exaggeration, but it seems almost that long when you're stuck behind overtaking lorries.

A young acquaintance of mine who opted to have a black box fitted by his insurer, found that they black-marked him for speeding on a road where they got the 30/40mph boundary wrong by about 100m.
There's a motor near my house with a big sticker that apologises for the slow speed and explains that this is because the motor is fitted with a black box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.