• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT SUBWAY DRIVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

I've been invited for the first stage of the interview with SPT for the underground drivers job and there is a psychometric test. Does anyone know if there is a numerical test involved ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kmck96

Been invited to tHis as well. I believe its only a SCAAT test, similar to what they have sent us as practice material

Need2

i've heard that but i think the guys are getting trained up for when they go driverless.
To my little brain that makes no sense, why would you train people to be drivers if they’re going driverless?

SeanG

Perhaps someone needs to sit in the control room and monitor them? Do they have emergency drivers for when the driverless system breaks (like the DLR)? Depot driving?

Other than that not too sure

Eebbs1912

I worked for SPT doing the signals etc and left two years ago for a trainee driver job. The new trains are fully automated and are already in Glasgow. they are being held up because they don't fit round some of the tighter bends yet until they finish work on the tunnels. After that they will just be shunted from the yard, down to the tunnels then work driverless.
It'll basically be a shunters job. The full time drivers were on something like 35k so who knows what they'll offer for that.

obibup

It's a SCAAT test. As for the 35k salary posted above - it's actually closer to 25k.

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
Until the trains are ready to go driverless (there's always delays with big projects), they will need drivers. Even if its only for a short time, it would look good on CV and to give examples of learning something, following rules etc. to give if you then applied for Scotrail later on.
Even if you were moved after the driverless project comes in and became station staff, you'd still have fire evacuation and other rules and procedures to follow in that role to use as examples.

It's not the complete dead loss that some are saying. Use it as a stepping stone.

Magic

Until the trains are ready to go driverless (there's always delays with big projects), they will need drivers. Even if its only for a short time, it would look good on CV and to give examples of learning something, following rules etc. to give if you then applied for Scotrail later on.
Even if you were moved after the driverless project comes in and became station staff, you'd still have fire evacuation and other rules and procedures to follow in that role to use as examples.

It's not the complete dead loss that some are saying. Use it as a stepping stone.
That's what I'm thinking and if successful it's considerably more than what I'm earning now. The annual salary on the application form was £27,300. As someone says I think it will be more of a shunters role as the job title is " A Delivery service officer (driver). Also I'm thinking they won't just pay all the driver's off once fully automated. I suppose I can ask that type of question at the interview. As you said I could possibly use it as a stepping stone into Scotrail .

Been invited to tHis as well. I believe its only a SCAAT test, similar to what they have sent us as practice material
Good luck with your interview, yeah it's only a SCAAT test which I'm relieved about.

kmck96

Any of you on here been successful at the assessment day and been invited for interview? If so, I'm curious to know if anybody has any further information with regards to the grammar test we need to do on the day.
I've never had to do a spelling or grammar test as part of a job interview process before so not really sure what to expect

Magic

Any of you on here been successful at the assessment day and been invited for interview? If so, I'm curious to know if anybody has any further information with regards to the grammar test we need to do on the day.
I've never had to do a spelling or grammar test as part of a job interview process before so not really sure what to expect
Hi , I've just noticed your message. I emailed them and they said you have to read two passages and pick out spelling and grammar errors. They said there is no practice tests and didn't provide any further information. I'm not sure if there will be questions to answer on the two passages. From what I've read Grammar is more sentence structure rather than full stops and comma's ect.

kmck96

I'm in on the 9th as well, so will see you there haha. I'm sure it's an offer of employment following a successful medical

Magic

Well done guys , I was unfortunate after the interview stage. I thought my interview went well but it's not to be this time round.

Magic

Sorry to hear that mate. What day were you in for interview?
It was on Tuesday and found out today. I'm not sure if I scored poorly on the passage test. It was a good opportunity as there was 9 positions available, slightly gutted but first time applying for SPT so will take positives from that. I'm hoping people drop out because of that shift rota but that's very wishful thinking.

SGuy

Hi guys. I think I was at the same assessment as you guys around 2 weeks ago. Had interview last week, medical is this week, recieved offer of employment (sub to med) even have start date on it. Start in 10 days!
You should receive your offer of employment any day now if you have a medical. Good luck! See you soon

kmck96

It was on Tuesday and found out today. I'm not sure if I scored poorly on the passage test. It was a good opportunity as there was 9 positions available, slightly gutted but first time applying for SPT so will take positives from that. I'm hoping people drop out because of that shift rota but that's very wishful thinking.
Might be worth asking for feedback? That way you know for next time. Haha you never know bud

Hi guys. I think I was at the same assessment as you guys around 2 weeks ago. Had interview last week, medical is this week, recieved offer of employment (sub to med) even have start date on it. Start in 10 days!
You should receive your offer of employment any day now if you have a medical. Good luck! See you soon
Congrats man. That's a fast turnaround. My medicals not until 9th September then I'll have my notice to work, so I reckon my start date won't be for another two months or so.
You can let us know how it goes - all the best!

M3lvin

Congrats on getting through guys! Anyone have more info on the medical? I have mines on the 26th August. Do you find out there and then if you pass it or do you need to wait a few days?

SGuy

Mine is soon. I'll let yous know. I don't think you find out there. I'm guessing it's so the nurse isn't in a position to say you've failed the medical?

Driver0202

Mine is soon. I'll let yous know. I don't think you find out there. I'm guessing it's so the nurse isn't in a position to say you've failed the medical?
Medical company’s should know the standard you need to pass the medical , so you can ask is that all ok after each part, urine test takes around 3-5days to come back.

SGuy

Medical company’s should know the standard you need to pass the medical , so you can ask is that all ok after each part, urine test takes around 3-5days to come back.
Hmm. I'll be started by then. I already have my start date. Medical is 1.5 hrs. So I've been told.

kmck96

How did your medical pan out? Did you find out the result there and then? How long did it last in the end?

LCC106

Established Member
The urine test takes a few days to come back so you don’t find out then and there.

whoosh

Established Member
Good luck to everyone going for it. As I said earlier - even if short-term and you end up becoming redundant or moved into stations as Driverless comes in - it's all experience you can use in other railway applications later on.

If you find out (hopefully through a successful application!), what does a typical shift look like?
What's the maximum number of round trips per shift (max each way?)?
Max shift length?

It would be interesting to know - there's little social history about working there. It's one of those "unknown" places - it seems to get left out of railway history, and trying to get any info on what it's like to work there is very hard. I suppose because it's not an ASLEF represented place of work, makes it even harder with no record there either. The union of choice is Unite, which is a legacy of the Subway being industrially alongside the Tramways of Glasgow back in the day.

M3lvin

I have just had my medical and found out there and then that I was suitable for the role - the urine test for presence of drugs is one of those instant result tests.
The full medical took around 1 hour, hope that helps anyone.

LCC106

Established Member
I have just had my medical and found out there and then that I was suitable for the role - the urine test for presence of drugs is one of those instant result tests.
The full medical took around 1 hour, hope that helps anyone.
Interesting to learn that, it didn’t used to be. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.