• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

overthewater

Established Member
Lets look I was right on a number of gusses:
* X26 has come back,
* X27 no longer does Leven for most of the day,
* X4 is under threat,

I hope the running times will be adjusted when the bridge does open because some of them are just outrage; 85mins to get to Glenrothes etc. The new X5 is pointless compared to the X55, why would anyone from Dunfermline use that? Also Dunfermline has lost is direct link to Perth. Why would people use the X56? its quicker to use the Citylink services I give these three months and I suspect the company will be allowed quickly change/speed up the timetables by early October at the very latest.

THen there is gem: Stopping Arrangements
Revised stopping arrangements into Edinburgh applied. Set down only stops from Orchard Brae & revised Craigleith stop

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/Home/...Express City Connect Service Change Proposals

Home Promos and offers East Scotland Service Change Proposals

Express City Connect Service Change Proposals
We have been reviewing our Express City Connect services from Fife to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Dundee and will be carrying out consultation through our website and with local authorities during early April 2017. Timetable and route changes will be introduced in early June.

The current network is very popular but we are aware from customer feedback and our own observations that there are some difficulties faced in operating in and out of Edinburgh city centre.

Although delayed, the impending opening of the Queensferry Crossing and resultant transfer of the Forth Road Bridge to become a public transport priority route has provided an opportunity for us to review our Edinburgh services.

We are also aware that the popularity of our Glasgow services continues to increase and this has led to some instances where coaches are full to capacity. Likewise the changes made to services X53 & X54 in 2016 have proven popular with more people travelling into Dundee than before.

To reflect feedback received and current operational conditions we are proposing a number of changes that will increase capacity and look to offer other improvements to the services on offer.

If you would like to comment on any of the proposals you can view draft timetables below, and complete our feedback form before Thursday 13 April.
These proposals are also being discussed with the many local authorities across the areas our services operate through during this period.

Proposals by Service

Service X24: St Andrews – Glenrothes – Halbeath P&R – Dunfermline – Glasgow – Glasgow Airport

Rerouting of Service X24 via Forth Valley Royal Hospital, offering links from the Falkirk area to Glasgow Airport.
Revised stopping pattern between St Andrews and Glenrothes with limited stops, as per current service X59 service.
Re-introduction of some journeys on service 24 in early morning and late evenings.
Revised timings to allow for increased traffic congestion.

New Service X26: Leven – Glenrothes – Cowdenbeath - Halbeath P&R – Dunfermline - Glasgow

Hourly service on Monday to Saturday.
New links from Windygates, Markinch, Cowdenbeath & Crossgates to Glasgow.
Serves Forth Valley Royal Hospital.
Improved links from Cowdenbeath to Glenrothes.

Service X27: Kirkcaldy – Halbeath P&R – Dunfermline – Glasgow

Most journeys would operate between Kirkcaldy and Glasgow only, up to every 30 minutes
Leven to Glasgow would be served by new X26 service (see above).
Kirkcaldy to Cameron Bridge still served by service 41.
Most journeys would no longer serve Forth Valley Royal Hospital, which would be replaced by services X24 & X26.
Additional morning peak and late evening journeys between Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy.

Service X37: Kirkcaldy – Glenrothes

0750 (Saturdays) Kirkcaldy to Glenrothes withdrawn, alternative departure at 0805.
1855 and 1955 Glenrothes to Kirkcaldy journeys withdrawn, with later journey added to X53.

Service X53: Kirkcaldy – Glenrothes – Cupar – Dundee – Ninewells – Kingoodie

Times slightly revised.
Daytime journeys will run via Newport, partly re-introducing direct journeys to Ninewells and Glenrothes.
Additional morning peak journeys to serve Ninewells & Invergowrie
Later journey to and from Kirkcaldy
Service X54: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Halbeath P&R – Cowdenbeath – Glenrothes – Cupar – Dundee

Completely revised timetable to improve reliability
Service will additionally serve Thornton, partly replacing links previously lost with the removal of service X61
Improved evening & Sunday service
Improved connections to/from St Andrews in the early morning and late evening

Service X55: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Rosyth – Dunfermline

Journeys north of Dunfermline will be withdrawn and partly replaced by improved service X56 (see below)
Timings revised between Dunfermline & Edinburgh to improve reliability
Improved evening peak frequency from Edinburgh

Service X56: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Halbeath P&R – Kinross – Perth – Dunkeld

Completely revised timetable with departures up to every hour
Revised service omitting Dunfermline to speed up journey times to/from Edinburgh
Connections available at Halbeath offering through fares (including Kinross – Glasgow)
Two return journeys added from Dunkeld, Birnam and Bankfoot to Edinburgh

Service X58: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Dalgety Bay – Kirkcaldy – Leven – East Neuk – St Andrews
Service X60: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Kirkcaldy – Leven – East Neuk – St Andrews

Revised timetable to improve reliability
Revised route in Inverkeithing, due to long term closure of Hope Street
X60 reverts to previous route only serving Dalgety Bay station on off peak journeys
Improved connections to service 95

Service X5: Dunfermline – Halbeath P&R – Ferrytoll P&R – non stop – West End – Edinburgh city centre
Service X9: Glenrothes – Pitteuchar – Halbeath P&R – Ferrytoll P&R – non stop – West End – Edinburgh city centre

New “non-stop” commuter express services X5 & X9 will link Dunfermline/Glenrothes to Ferrytoll then non stop to the West End of Edinburgh

Other changes affecting local services

Some minor changes are also being made to local services, primarily to afford improved connections to and from express services.

Service 14: Kirkcaldy – Dunnikier
Minor revision to times

Service 95: Leven – Upper Largo – Anstruther – Crail – St Andrews
Service 97: Leven – Upper Largo – Largoward – St Andrews

Minor revisions to timings to improve connections at Leven
Additional weekday journey at 1450 from St Andrews to Leven on service 95
Additional weekday journey at 1030 from St Andrews to Leven on service 97
1410 journey from Leven to St Andrews now operates schooldays as well as school holidays (97)

Service X4/46: Leven – Markinch – Glenrothes
These services are operated by Stagecoach on behalf of Fife Council who specify the service and timetable provided. As new service X26 introduces new express links between Leven and Glenrothes, without financial subsidy from the council, they are carrying out a review as to what changes may be made to services X4 and 46. As these revisions are proposed by Fife Council, we are not in a position at this time to advertise any likely timetable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamester

The X4 & 46 will likely be lost to another operator so introducing the X26 kills two birds with one stone. It offers a half hour service between Glenrothes and Glasgow and provides a replacement/competition for the X4. Aberhill is losing 5 bus workings on Express. Dunfermline is gaining Glasgow work as losing the 40 frees up space.

overthewater

Established Member
The X4 & 46 will likely be lost to another operator so introducing the X26 kills two birds with one stone. It offers a half hour service between Glenrothes and Glasgow and provides a replacement/competition for the X4. Aberhill is losing 5 bus workings on Express. Dunfermline is gaining Glasgow work as losing the 40 frees up space.

Who was going to win the 46/X4? Bay Travel I've heard there were after the 13 and 32 but who know what versions. I think what council will do is let stagecoach keep the 46 shot gun it with the 44 and let both operate to down to Whitehall in Glenrothes. Of course the 43 will be killed off, but most links will be covered by other routes. I think the services will be safe until August no point changing something just to be changed again 10 weeks later?

This is a game of spot the duty moves. I thought Aberhill wasn't really losing out because its now gained the X26, even with 6 duties going to Dunfermline for the X27?

During the day, there could actually be no overall increase in PRV, with the 40 coming off and the new x26 bus the one bus for the No14 since that cant interwork with the X53 anymore.

X55: Improved evening peak frequency from Edinburgh

That poky pies, there is actually one less bus at peak times around 5pm. :D

Last edited:

Jamester

Moffat & Williamson was mentioned but who knows! I've heard the 13 is lost but B1 is returning to Stagecoach. I can't see them ditching the 43. It would halve the service in Milton of Balgonie and remove the main link between Kennoway and Windygates.

I've heard Glenrothes are gaining Express work as the new vehicle order would suggest. The bulk of Kirkcaldy town services will move to Aberhill. That's the current plan anyway, from the rumours I've heard!

overthewater

Established Member
Moffat & Williamson was mentioned but who knows! I've heard the 13 is lost but B1 is returning to Stagecoach. I can't see them ditching the 43. It would halve the service in Milton of Balgonie and remove the main link between Kennoway and Windygates.

I've heard Glenrothes are gaining Express work as the new vehicle order would suggest. The bulk of Kirkcaldy town services will move to Aberhill. That's the current plan anyway, from the rumours I've heard!

Of course what version of that No13, that the bigger question. I have heard it could be cut to one ( West Wemyss) bus working with the no32 covering the other part. Of course the other option for the 46 is merge it with the 32 thus keeping the 46 to one bus working. Who knows :D

But it Aberhill that needs extra coaches. :s

Jamester

The last I heard Fife Council propose to retain service 13 in its current form with one pm journey cut to cover a school.

overthewater

Established Member
The last I heard Fife Council propose to retain service 13 in its current form with one pm journey cut to cover a school.

I thought thats what stagecoach were offering? but if Bay got then maybe there gone with a different idea?

overthewater

Established Member
Thats the consultation over and done with, I doubt were see any changes, even if the passengers have asked ;)

The speculation over what going to happen with the South Queensferry route is growing, with it being said: First are also looking to throw its hat back in the ring.

Strange one this, it seems one of the older Strathtay solos has moved to Glenrothes depot, not sure which one. It has the ugly seats.

ChrisPJ

South Queensferry should be arguably as logical a part of the Lothian network, as places like Penicuik or Gorebridge. Stagecoach were nuts to work the route without a permanent outstation on the Edinburgh side of the bridge.

overthewater

Established Member
Yet is been point out, the stagecoach depot is NO futher from Queensferry than a Lothian depot. Its not the base thats the problem its the fact passenger number have been poor on that route for years. Hint: Train passengers using the local station has seen a massive increase over the past five years, including a big increase in season tickets.

Lets not forget the awful traffic within Edinburgh due to the trams and the A90.

overthewater

Established Member
Looks like the changes are going ahead, it does look like the X4 coming off in June, I dare say this 46 reg is just temp until August changes.

PM0000004/840 Registered
FIFE SCOTTISH OMNIBUSES LTD
Route: Leven bus station to Glenrothes bus station
Service number: F046 (46A, 46)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 05 Jun 2017

Volvodart

Established Member
The loaned Enviro400s with Bluebird should be returning imminently as they are being replaced with one's made spare at Fort William following the contract losses there.

overthewater

Established Member
The loaned Enviro400s with Bluebird should be returning imminently as they are being replaced with one's made spare at Fort William following the contract losses there.

Thats good to hear, so the 95 branding buses will be back in use in time for the busy holiday/summer period.

Macllain

4 Solo Sr's from Preston due at Dunfermline, 2 already in service having only arrived yesterday. Don't have numbers!!

overthewater

Established Member
4 Solo Sr's from Preston due at Dunfermline, 2 already in service having only arrived yesterday. Don't have numbers!!

Just to make sure were all singing on the same hym sheet,

Are those part of movement of Carlisle Solos SR? or is this additional to that?
Its unclear how many are coming, its also unclear whos getting what.

Its been stated 4 going to St Andrews while Dunfermline are getting them to replace the last of the E200 brought in 2010.

Fifescottish

Stated elsewhere that

Enviro 200s 36195/96/98/99 are being transferred to Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire from where Optare Solo SRs 47941-43/54-60 and 48001/02 are expected here

overthewater

Established Member
As postaged else where but it does seem there a problem:

STAGECOACH ORDERS 2017/18.

* 26166 – 26171 Enviro 200 Enviro 200 MMC for Dunfermline.

* 54356 – 54363 Volvo B11R 15m Plaxton Elite for Glenrothes.
Source:- British Bus Publishing 2017 Stagecoach Bus Handbook.

E200 are for the 747. The Elites are for the X24 and X54/59 I dare say to get rid of the rest of the crap dirty 59 plates coaches.

The problem is it was claimed some other coaches were due for Dunfermline for 55, it seems that been kicked into the long grass.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member

E200 are for the 747. The Elites are for the X24 and X54/59 I dare say to get rid of the rest of the crap dirty 59 plates coaches.

The problem is it was claimed some other coaches were due for Dunfermline for 55, it seems that been kicked into the long grass.

Scotland as a whole doesn't seem to be getting much this year.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could certainly do with some new(er) stuff in my neck of the woods. They're using 07/08 plate E200s and reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Could certainly do with some new(er) stuff in my neck of the woods. They're using 07/08 plate E200s and reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

Same with Perth. They drafted in a few extra E400s from Fife only to get the Olympians off the road before the start of the year. Perth would still be running them in service if they could get away with it.

J Burns

The Elites are for the X24 and X54/59 I dare say to get rid of the rest of the crap dirty 59 plates coaches.

will these 59plates not still be used as part of the new Fife-Glasgow services, X26 and the new Glenrothes/Edinburgh X9?

overthewater

Established Member

The Elites are for the X24 and X54/59 I dare say to get rid of the rest of the crap dirty 59 plates coaches.

will these 59plates not still be used as part of the new Fife-Glasgow services, X26 and the new Glenrothes/Edinburgh X9?

Yes and no, so cheers to making the point. :D

First off the X5 and X9 is not really new its just all the peak workings on other service being transfered.

With the Glasgow runs its will only require 3 extra coaches to operate, There done some clear moving around, including slashing the layover of the X27 at Glasgow. Thus the current X24/27- 19 coaches, New X24/6/7 is 22 coaches.
Revised timetable on x54/59. The spare X59s are going onto the X56.

I think the new overall increase will be 4, but since 8 new coaches are coming.

I think your right, some 59 plates will still be floating around but most should be out of daily service. The big question will be whats going to happen with the X55? There nothing new for the route, it has 57reg 15m coaches on the route, but its being said maybe the E300 from the No40 will get put on the X55, who knows.

I could let them off with them running 10 and 8 years coaches on the route if there just spent some cash on them. I know I sound like naggy old woman, but the coaches that were sent down from Aberdeen have never had a penny spent on them, expect for a repaint which there baldy needed even before there enter service with Fife. Would it really cost that much to deep clean and replace the flooring? Would it cost alot to deep clean seats and replace some?

Volvodart

Established Member
You should think yourself lucky, there are 55 plate coaches with Bluebird that have never had a full repaint (just the red touched up).

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
No chance of that ever happening now, since Cutlock is up in that part of the woods, I also see he's changed to timetables to booklets. Good luck with that.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
No chance of that ever happening now, since Cutlock is up in that part of the woods, I also see he's changed to timetables to booklets. Good luck with that.

I saw a copy of our new timetable the other day. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a proper booklet, with different services on different pages, but it's a single folded sheet of paper with everything crammed in. Oh, and they've renumbered everything again!

overthewater

Established Member
A bit of a surprise the company has won a top award for its Express network. Hopeful the judges never had the displeasure of those 59 plates coaches.

X55 seems to have more E200MMC on the route than B7 coaches.

The company has still not fully announced the service changes in three weeks time, nor has anyone confirmed about replacing the No40 to South Queensferry.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/east-scotland/2017/may/stagecoach-wins-top-industry-awards

Home News and Blog East Scotland Stagecoach wins top industry awards
Stagecoach wins top industry awards
08 May 2017

• East Scotland city connect network named Top Express Operation for third consecutive year
• Marketing activities for the network picked up silver award

Stagecoach East Scotland has been recognised with a top honour at the 2017 UK Coach Awards.
The transport group’s East Scotland business was awarded the Express Operation of the Year accolade at the 9th annual event held in Manchester last week (Thursday 4 May) for the third year in a row with its Express City Connect network which operates across central Scotland.

Stagecoach East Scotland also picked up the silver award in the Coach Marketing Award category for continued efforts in promoting the Express City Connect services to residents and visitors to the area.

Stagecoach East Scotland’s Express City Connect network operates high-quality coach services across Fife and into Edinburgh, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow. Facilities such as leather seats, on board toilets, power sockets, air conditioning, activity packs for kids and free wifi have helped make the services an attractive alternative to the car, achieving increased passenger numbers.

Stagecoach East Scotland Acting General Manager Jon Oakey said: “Winning this award for the third year in a row is down to the hard work of our employees who are at the heart of delivering these services to our customers all year round.

“We are delivering high-quality, reliable journeys on modern vehicles, with free wi-fi and good customer service, to help attract even more people on to greener, smarter transport.”

Other Stagecoach operations across the UK were also successful at the awards; Oxford Tube driver Gavin Francis was named Top UK Express Driver after gaining praise for his friendly, engaging, patient and reassuring approach with passengers and for his ability to train and mentor new drivers, Stagecoach’s Oxford Tube service also won the silver award in Express Operation of the Year, Stagecoach South West scooped the bronze award in the Making Coaches a Better Choice category for its Falcon service.

The UK Coach Awards recognises the dedication and professionalism of individuals and operators across the UK coach industry, with awards covering a number categories.

Congratulating all the winners, UK Coach Awards chairman John Gilbert said, "Our customers demand improved quality both in terms of vehicles and staff. We cannot meet these demands without good business organisation and excellent staff, and to retain good staff, we need to recognise and reward them, and this is why I believe this event has a major part to play in recognising leading operators, business innovation, excellent managers, staff and operating crews.”