• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

overthewater

Established Member
I have some doubts over this.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/...anaging-director-for-east-scotland-operations
Stagecoach today (27 June) confirmed that it has appointed a new Managing Director of its East Scotland operations.

Paul Thomas, who has more than 30 years’ experience in the bus industry, will take up his new post from 10 July.

He will take on responsibility for Stagecoach East Scotland which has a fleet of over 500 buses and employs more than 1300 staff, carrying 35million passengers a year.

Paul Thomas began his career as an apprentice mechanic in 1985, and worked his way into managerial posts before reaching managing director level. Most recently, Paul has been Managing Director, UK Bus for National Express, with responsibility for their National Express West Midlands and Xplore Dundee bus companies, ( 2014 until 2017) along with the Midland Metro tram operation. Prior to that, Paul spent several years as Managing Director with First Scotland East. ( 2005? - 2014)

Stagecoach Scotland Managing Director Robert Andrew said: “I am pleased to welcome Paul to Stagecoach. His vast experience in the industry and his previous experience within East Scotland mean he will be a great asset to our East Scotland operation. I look forward to working with him to tackle the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.”

Paul Thomas said: “I am delighted to be taking on this new role and very much look forward to returning to East Scotland which is an area I know well. I know there’s a great team there already who work hard to deliver excellent customer service and strong operational performance and I’m looking forward to working with them, and our many partners in the area, to deliver even better bus services for local people.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Why? What doubts?

It was his track record at the other companies but again it's steady as she goes and you only make use of what you have. Mind you since he been down in Brum at Nat Express - a major bus area, it's possible he might be able to bring in some new knowledge to the table?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It was his track record at the other companies but again it's steady as she goes and you only make use of what you have. Mind you since he been down in Brum at Nat Express - a major bus area, it's possible he might be able to bring in some new knowledge to the table?

Given the change seen at NXWM, I think that's probably unfair or unwise.

As for anyone's tenure at First in the latter days of the Moir era, that can't really be a yardstick for anyone.

winston270twm

Established Member
Given the change seen at NXWM, I think that's probably unfair or unwise.

As for anyone's tenure at First in the latter days of the Moir era, that can't really be a yardstick for anyone.

Paul Thomas was only promoted to MD of NX UK Bus from 1st May this year on the retirement of Peter Coates, it is the later who has been responsible for all the changes at NXWM since 2011

winston270twm

Established Member
Yes but he was COO and has been heavily involved in the changes.

Yes involved in implementing the changes, but not the 'organ grinder'

Interesting that he'll only have done two months as MD of NX UK Bus, he must have only been on 1 months notice...

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes involved in implementing the changes, but not the 'organ grinder'

Interesting that he'll only have done two months as MD of NX UK Bus, he must have only been on 1 months notice...

Winston - I think you're being rather unfair. He's been instrumental in delivering the changes as part of a team; I'm sure you aren't suggesting that he's been sat in a dark room waiting for Peter Coates to tell him what he's decided he wants doing.

His move and the speed of it is a little surprising. However, there may be perfectly understandable reasons other than work.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How bad or How good were the changes at NXWM over the past few years?

Winston or others will be better placed than me to speak but the main Birmingham operations seem better focussed than in the past. From a strong TWM operation, it seemed to lose it's way in the mid 2000s as NX got distracted by rail franchises etc.

This seemingly was summed up by the "new" NX livery of white and red that seems to fade quickly and a general unkempt appearance internally as well as externally. That and operators increasingly competing against them.

A deal was signed a few years ago with Centro to improve inward investment (though fleet replacement had already been quickened). There's now a reasonable number of new enviros in a smart new red livery or a distinctive and sophisticated grey and red version allied to some re-focussing of services.

Don't know if that's a fair appraisal; I don't use them regularly enough to really comment but just observations from my regular trips into Brum.

As is usually the way (and this is where I normally see and use NXWM), Coventry seems to be the poor relation in terms of investment etc and the new livery (with a sky blue variant naturally) is still relatively rare.

winston270twm

Established Member
Winston - I think you're being rather unfair. He's been instrumental in delivering the changes as part of a team; I'm sure you aren't suggesting that he's been sat in a dark room waiting for Peter Coates to tell him what he's decided he wants doing.

His move and the speed of it is a little surprising. However, there may be perfectly understandable reasons other than work.

Article in latest Bus & Coach Buyer suggests he's moved to Scotland to be closer to home, but why accept the MD post if you're not planning on sticking around....

Tom Staples is taking over as NX UK Bus, as well as UK Coach & German Rail

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Article in latest Bus & Coach Buyer suggests he's moved to Scotland to be closer to home, but why accept the MD post if you're not planning on sticking around....

Tom Staples is taking over as NX UK Bus, as well as UK Coach & German Rail

It would be wrong to speculate - all sorts of personal things can happen.

IIRC James Freeman moved from Reading to FWoE because of family issues.

overthewater

Established Member
I might need to create a new thread to get more details about NXWM. Bus and coach buyer would be right he is from this side of the border, I can't blame him for just come back up north ;)

The one thing I heard about him was while at FSE, some crap old stock come up from England and there were getting ready to be used in Service, he came past, looked at them and just scraped them there and then.

The East Scotland Job has been advertised for since January I think , but it's most likley is Paul was given the temp at NX? was its stated that job was just temp or full?

winston270twm

Established Member
The East Scotland Job has been advertised for since January I think , but it's most likley is Paul was given the temp at NX? was its stated that job was just temp or full?

The promotion to MD wasn't temporary, as Peter Coates had stepped aside to stay on at NX for another year but in a business development role.

Fifescottish

Reported elsewhere that Scania Omnilinks 24006 and 24009 have been sold to Dochertys Midland coaches. Wonder what use they have for them?

overthewater

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that Scania Omnilinks 24006 and 24009 have been sold to Dochertys Midland coaches. Wonder what use they have for them?

Private hires? School work? who knows :lol:

The service changes for the 14 August are starting to come thought.

Does look like Bay travel Lost the B1 to Stagecoach, I wonder what other changes are on the cards

Revised timetable:
PM0000004/708 Registered
FIFE SCOTTISH OMNIBUSES LTD
Route: Newburgh High Street to St Andrews bus station
Service number: F094X (94X)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 14 Aug 2017

New service up to hourly Mon-Sun. (WHATS news:p)
PM0000004/863 Registered
Route: Glenrothes bus station to Perth bus station
Service number: F036 (36)

It would seem Bay travel has picked this up but the big question will be how will the new route operate....
PM0000004/616 Cancelled
Route: West Wemyss to Fife Central Retail Park
Service number: F013W (13, 13A, 13B)

Fifescottish

Mid August is normally when they alter West Fife. Wonder if there is anything planned this year.

Is the 36 another of last years cuts reversed (Was the 36 not to be cancelled at one point?)

overthewater

Established Member
I doubt West Fife will see any changes this time around. The 36 was saved last year but you have to wonder what going to change with it. Its says it not subisdise but it is on a sunday by Perth and Kinross council.

PM0001027/2 Cancelled
MOFFAT & WILLIAMSON LTD
Route: Glenrothes, Boston Road or Bus Station to Markinch, Rail Station via Coaltown of Balgonie
Service number: 2
Service type: Normal Stopping, School or Works

PM0001027/6 Cancelled
MOFFAT & WILLIAMSON LTD
Route: Glenrothes Bus Stn to Circular
Service number: 4
Service type: Normal Stopping, School or Works

PM0001027/90 Registered
MOFFAT & WILLIAMSON LTD
Route: Collydean Glenrothes to Leven Bus Station via Glenrothes Bus Station, Coaltown of Balgonie, Markinch, Star, Kennoway
Service number: M4
PM1136207/30 Registered

The new M4 will cover old 2, 4 and 46.

BAY TRAVEL COACHES LTD
Route: John Smith Business Park, Kirkcaldy to Main Street, West Wemyss via Kirkcaldy Bus Station, Victoria Hospital, Dysart
Service number: 13 (13A)
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
If Docherty's have bought two of the OmniLinks, I wouldn't be surprised if they were for school work. The Perth Grammar run is 9 times out of 10 at full capacity.

overthewater

Established Member
Looks like there new guard has sorted out the mess, but let hope there also remember to add in some early morning dups from Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy at 10am...

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servi...rticle?SituationId=ID-04/07/2017-12:52:46:846

August is the busiest time of year for journeys from Fife to Edinburgh, and to help you get there more easily, we’re introducing a special Festival service, F59, running in August between Halbeath park & ride, Ferrytoll park & ride and Edinburgh up to every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and up to every 30 minutes on Sunday, providing extra capacity at this busy time of year.

Combined with existing Express services, this will provide journeys between Halbeath P&R and Edinburgh up to every 10 minutes, and between Ferrytoll P&R and Edinburgh up to every 5 minutes!

View our summary timetable for all journeys between Halbeath and Ferrytoll P&Rs to Edinburgh city centre.
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East Scotland/Fife/ESCOT_Fife_F59.pdf

In addition to service F59 and our regular Edinburgh services, we’ll also be running extra late night journeys to and from Edinburgh in August. The following journeys will run every night from Friday 4 - Monday 28 August:

X54 2225 journey from Glenrothes to Edinburgh
X54 2355 journey from Edinburgh to Glenrothes
X55 2335 journey from Dunfermline to Edinburgh
X55 0035 journey from Edinburgh to Dunfermline
X58 2225 journey from Leven to Edinburgh
X58 0015 journey from Edinburgh to Leven

We’ll also be running a night service between Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh in both directions, during August only, stopping at Ferrytoll P&R, Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay. The following N58 journeys will run on Friday and Saturday nights (Saturday and Sunday early mornings) from Friday 4 - Sunday 27 August:

N58 0015 journey from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh
N58 0115 journey from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy
N58 0215 journey from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh
N58 0315 journey from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy

Don’t forget - our normal N55 journeys between Edinburgh and Dunfermline, stopping at Ferrytoll P&R, Inverkeithing and Rosyth will also be running on Friday and Saturday nights:

N55 0030 journey from Dunfermline to Edinburgh
N55 0130 journey from Edinburgh to Dunfermline
N55 0230 journey from Dunfermline to Edinburgh
N55 0330 journey from Edinburgh to Dunfermline

All usual Express services will run as normal in August too, but delays are expected due to the high volume of traffic travelling to/from Edinburgh. Please allow extra time for your journey (we don’t want you arriving late to your show!) and remember to plan ahead and track your bus arrival, or download the Stagecoach Bus app.

overthewater

Established Member
PM0000004/791 Registered (Short notice)
Route: Kelty, Westcroft Way to Dalgety Bay, Regents Way
Service number: F007B (7B, 7D, 7C)

PM0000004/848 Registered
Route: Burntisland to Town Service
Service number: FB01 (B1)

PM0000004/860 Registered
Route: Cowdenbeath, Old Perth Road to Kirkcaldy, Victoria Hospital
Service number: F018 (18)

PM0000004/861 Registered
Route: Dunfermline, James Street to Rosyth, Park Road
Service number: F085 (85)

PM0000004/862 Registered
Route: Ferrytoll Park and Ride to Saline turning circle
Service number: F086 (86, 86A)

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Whats the 85 and 86 all about?

It seems there council tenders to fill up the gaps from last august.
* 85, daytime via Duloch.
* 86, peak times

The new fleet cards have come out and some interesting things have appeared.

Dunfermline
Volvo B12B 15m
* 57 Reg: 54038, 54039, 54040, 54041
* 59 reg: 54067, 54072, 54073, 54074, 54075

Glenrothes
Volvo B12B 15m
54063, 54046, 54065, 54069, 54070

Whats the point? Everything else is the newer stock with the leather seats. So Glenrothes is due 54356 – 54363 Volvo B11R 15m Plaxton Elite. The 5 at Glenrothes are out of the company, ( there the dirtiest of the lot) I would expect three 61reg to move to D/line to be used on the X27. I dare say the 57reg will also leave the company. (Only AFTER the Edinburgh festival) The Five 15m 59reg, I can see them moving around to have all coaches on the X5/X9, to replace the deckers.

There only six B7 coaches left and mixed bag where there are turning up. 15m coaches are being used on the X51 etc. Yet it seems the plan is for the X55 to be fully operated by those Ex Kent coaches.

Fifescottish

So the 85 and 86 are sort of replacements for the 1?

Is there an 84 to come as we now have an 83,85 and 86?

The 57 plate ex Western coaches are much cleaner than the 59 plate ones!

overthewater

Established Member
So the 85 and 86 are sort of replacements for the 1?

Is there an 84 to come as we now have an 83,85 and 86?

The 57 plate ex Western coaches are much cleaner than the 59 plate ones!

Alas it will all depend on the age and the reliability, If the 57 plates are just as good I suggest you barriage the company to keep the 57 plates.

Fifescottish

Even if they took the nice clean seats out of the 57 plates and put them in the 59 plates it would be better.

Things do seem to be improving to be honest.

overthewater

Established Member
Even if they took the nice clean seats out of the 57 plates and put them in the 59 plates it would be better.

There wont do that, for some unknown reason there continue to run those dirty awful coaches on the X24 Glasgow runs. At least shortly there be gone and the X24 will be top of the line. I have nothing agiast them use the 8 -9 year stock, but there should have given them a minor facelift.

Things do seem to be improving to be honest.

Seems to be is the important part, there still a way to go.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Looking at the latest fleetlist as well it appears that 4 of Perth's MANviro's are being disposed of and being replaced with 4 Integral E300's.

1 of which was used on service 333 between PRI and Ninewells and the other 3 coming from Dunfermline which were used on the 40/A.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
A few interesting points.

With Scania/Omnilinks

* 24006, 24009 have gone to Docherty
* 24005, 24007 have gone to Blairgowrie ???
* 24008 has gone to Ferrymill

While three 57 plate B12 coaches were brought out of Reserve and put into service at Dunfermline, but there dont seem to have replaced any B7 coaches.
* 54039, 54040, 54041