• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Group (Group-wide matters)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I certainly welcome the variety and suspect that this year's relatively small coach order by some previous standards is very much a testing of the waters exercise, I hope so anyway as as others have commented the business as a whole is going to need a significant upgrade to the coach fleet in the next couple of years so they obviously want to get it right, anyone remember the disaster area that was the profiles 10 or 15 years ago? Certainly not an exercise to be repeated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I certainly welcome the variety and suspect that this year's relatively small coach order by some previous standards is very much a testing of the waters exercise, I hope so anyway as as others have commented the business as a whole is going to need a significant upgrade to the coach fleet in the next couple of years so they obviously want to get it right, anyone remember the disaster area that was the profiles 10 or 15 years ago? Certainly not an exercise to be repeated

How were the Plaxton Profiles a disaster? With them being Volvos, I thought they would have been reliable.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
How were the Plaxton Profiles a disaster? With them being Volvos, I thought they would have been reliable.
A large number of them caught fire particularly the earlier 55 plate examples, albeit the argument can be made that this was more down to them being used on work they weren't designed and therefor overworked rather than a design flaw with the vehicle itself.

richw

Veteran Member
They’re basically a B7RLE bus with a coach body.
I found them useful psvar coaches at First Truronian, and were suitable for the work they were doing

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'm sure they were fine for some applications but stagecoach bought loads of them and they were replaced pretty quickly on a lot of frontline work and cascaded off into the province's. The Express City connect batch and the five bought for the Cumbrian X4 X5 were notably unsuccessful

More details about the new buses across Stagecoach Group scheduled for this year, confirming more E400s, what the E100 EVs are destined as, and many other new vehicles.
Since the Enviro (classic) range was modernised into the MMC range, I understand it that Stagecoach has been buying 11.8m E200MMCs as pretty much a direct alternative to E300s.
What have they been buying as an alternative to the E200s though? I haven't seen any short E200MMCs in either of the areas that I occasionally visit (Bluebird and Fife); have they just consolidated all new (non-electric) single-decks to the 11.8m E200MMC?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Since the Enviro (classic) range was modernised into the MMC range, I understand it that Stagecoach has been buying 11.8m E200MMCs as pretty much a direct alternative to E300s.
What have they been buying as an alternative to the E200s though? I haven't seen any short E200MMCs in either of the areas that I occasionally visit (Bluebird and Fife); have they just consolidated all new (non-electric) single-decks to the 11.8m E200MMC?
There have been limited numbers of shorter e200mmc to South West, South, Wales and East Midlands.

Cesarcollie

As operating costs rise, I guess there are fewer and fewer routes where the smallest E200s can be commercially viable. Many tenders will of course continue to specify small buses, but they aren’t a huge proportion of the total fleet for Stagecoach, and unless there are age restriction, older buses with lower depreciation will often suffice. Plus of course there is a batch of Solos due which will Meet this size requirement.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
And I don't suppose this will be the last batch of solos in diesel form that come along either, something big had to be responsible for them restarting a diesel production line and I suspect a commitment to another several years worth of orders of them from someone like stagecoach had to be part of that incentive

To be honest if we can get the build quality that we were getting for the last handful of diesel buses from Optare again with this new order plus a stepping up in terms of delivery time and after sales then they could be a serious piece of competition for a d l who are clearly focusing more on the electric market now and despite their claims otherwise are still suffering from the usual cheap nasty build quality ifsues time and again

Stagecoach group strategy with regards to fleet in the coming couple of years is going to be a very interesting to watch I think