• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Group (Group-wide matters)

route101

Established Member
Well... that actually puts my mind at rest as the thought of all those hours on a Panther was not giving me good faith.

Currently on the 22:45 from Glasgow to Victoria, currently somewhere just north of Birmingham.

Good experience on 50406 so far, however I’m finding it increasingly difficult to get some sleep due to the rattling and the temperature onboard.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

On another positive note, these drivers are absolutely gunning it down the M6 so far.

Yeah, I suppose you don't have someone right next to you. Just seen a citylink panorama on M11 to London at Glasgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Never thought the time would come!
Looks pretty swish too! Looks like it is using GPS though not quite real time.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It will be taking the feed from Green Road.
Green Road is what, exactly? Please provide a more detailed explanation and do not assume everyone knows what you're referring to.

Mwanesh

Greenroad is the telematics that monitors harsh braking, accelation and turning too fast. It pinpoints the exact location. If you drive like Miss Daisy you get no events. Your score will be zero. Thats the short of it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Greenroad is the telematics that monitors harsh braking, accelation and turning too fast. It pinpoints the exact location. If you drive like Miss Daisy you get no events. Your score will be zero. Thats the short of it.

Isn't the aim to get as many flashing red lights as possible? Sounds like a fun game. :lol:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I doubt it comes from GreenRoad as it doesn't hold any information about the service that is being operated, merely the driver.

It'll more likely be connected to the VIX ERG ticket machine which has realtime tracking capabilities.

And yes, long before time!

sbrignall72

I doubt it comes from GreenRoad as it doesn't hold any information about the service that is being operated, merely the driver.

It'll more likely be connected to the VIX ERG ticket machine which has realtime tracking capabilities.

And yes, long before time!
Would be nice if it had the fleet number too

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Would be nice if it had the fleet number too
You can get the fleet number/reg by digging into the website a bit.

On Google Chrome, you need to open Inspect Element (Ctrl+Shift+I), go to the Network tab, double click the entry that begins false?callback, and scroll until you find vehicleId.

Boo_

On Moderation
Greenroad does a lot more than people think. It does have live tracking and can feed into travelnet software that abellio uses for Rail replacement planning and management software.

And there is mobile phone app for greenroad that Stagecoach rail replacement can use on buses without a tracker.

National express uses Utrack. with my log in I was able to click on the software to look on the Google map on the dashboard and see every national express coach on the network.
I could even see the driver's name the vehicle registration the speed it was travelling at, the telephone number of the coach phone and even see if there any SMS messages from passangers.

Megabus vehicles don't have ticket machines fitted apart from services in Scotland. Back In 2013 I was a Megabus controller and we were unable to use GreenRoad tracking as every depot has their own login.
Glasgow control used to have to look up what coach was on what duty then log into that depot's green road to track a late coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mwanesh

You will find only the Scottish coaches have ticket machines. The Rugby, Bristol, Freestones, Redwoods and Cwmbran ones have no machines which makes Greenroad the other option to use.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
You can get the fleet number/reg by digging into the website a bit.

On Google Chrome, you need to open Inspect Element (Ctrl+Shift+I), go to the Network tab, double click the entry that begins false?callback, and scroll until you find vehicleId.
Now if they wouldn't mind enabling that on their website...

tbtc

Veteran Member
I've seen suggestions online that Stagecoach are giving up on WiFi on local bus services - does anyone know if this is a national/regional decision and/or permanent or just a "keeping costs down during Covid" thing?

carlberry

Established Member
I've seen suggestions online that Stagecoach are giving up on WiFi on local bus services - does anyone know if this is a national/regional decision and/or permanent or just a "keeping costs down during Covid" thing?
I suspect the takeup is low. People tend to complain that bus based WiFi is poor and not worth the trouble of getting past the login requirements now that people tend to have more flexible data contracts on their phones.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I suspect the takeup is low. People tend to complain that bus based WiFi is poor and not worth the trouble of getting past the login requirements now that people tend to have more flexible data contracts on their phones.

This...

I rarely ever use on bus wifi unless it's a longer coach journey as the log in can be a pest. It's takes so long, and you need to properly log in each time you can't just connect straight away after the first time like on many other networks.

Boo_

On Moderation
I find stagecoach ok but others limit data too much so I am lucky to get 10 mins on the bus before data limit. as my apps eat the data.

lightning76

The explainer to staff says that it is a national decision to "temporarily" turn the WiFi off. It will remain on Megabus, Citylink and Oxford Tube as well as "some additional services in some regions".

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Stagecoach limit to 100mb too IIRC.

Connecting used to be fine on my old phone (which was Android), however I can never seem to get it to connect/log in properly on my iPhone. It's no big loss - we have good 4G coverage here and I'd only be checking emails (or this very forum ;)) etc.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The message to staff (I'm not staff but I have seen the message), says that uptake on short journeys is very low and the cost of providing Wifi on the buses is very expensive and thus it's being turned off on local routes to save on unnecessary costs as it's not right to provide luxuries while the base services are being subsidised so much by central gov.. In Merseyside, it will continue on at least the 1/X1 Chester - Liverpool and the X2 Preston - Liverpool. Others may be in that but I don't think they were on the memo. I get that 'some additional services in some regions' simply means routes where passengers predominantly travel longer distances.

Personally, for me, it's a shame as I try to refrain from using data as much as possible. I tend to only top up my phone every few months so a small trip into town, I know the bus has wifi and all that stuff so I use that for the 10 minute journey. I can see though how uptake is low and it probably doesn't make any financial sense to provide wifi on buses where the average journey is less than 15 minutes.

route101

Established Member
I don't tend to use bus wifi. Quite often you cant connect, though my house internet is really slow and goes on and off, so I have had to use my phone as a hotspot, this eats up data.

When out and about can be a faff connecting to all these wi fi connections.

overthewater

Established Member
The message to staff (I'm not staff but I have seen the message), says that uptake on short journeys is very low and the cost of providing Wifi on the buses is very expensive and thus it's being turned off on local routes to save on unnecessary costs as it's not right to provide luxuries while the base services are being subsidised so much by central gov.. In Merseyside, it will continue on at least the 1/X1 Chester - Liverpool and the X2 Preston - Liverpool. Others may be in that but I don't think they were on the memo. I get that 'some additional services in some regions' simply means routes where passengers predominantly travel longer distances.

Personally, for me, it's a shame as I try to refrain from using data as much as possible. I tend to only top up my phone every few months so a small trip into town, I know the bus has wifi and all that stuff so I use that for the 10 minute journey. I can see though how uptake is low and it probably doesn't make any financial sense to provide wifi on buses where the average journey is less than 15 minutes.

I think the company is right to do this, and the logic behide being correct.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I don't remember reading anything about it.
I saw a "Route 10: Aberdeen - Elgin - Inverness" coach going northbound towards Leith on Leith Walk yesterday (in Edinburgh). Why would this coach have been this far south? Rail replacement work? It wasn't heading towards the rail or bus stations though, that's what's confusing me.
It had "Scottish Citylink" on the destination displays, if that helps at all.
Thanks

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I don't remember reading anything about it.
I saw a "Route 10: Aberdeen - Elgin - Inverness" coach going northbound towards Leith on Leith Walk yesterday (in Edinburgh). Why would this coach have been this far south? Rail replacement work? It wasn't heading towards the rail or bus stations though, that's what's confusing me.
Thanks

That will have been 54832 on rail rep. Not sure why it was showing Scottish Citylink but they go to the Lothian depot between runs.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Thanks
If it was around 1830, it would have been 54832 coming off of Rail Replacement and heading to Central depot for a driver break.

That will have been 54832 on rail rep. Not sure why it was showing Scottish Citylink but they go to the Lothian depot between runs.
If it was around 1830, it would have been 54832 coming off of Rail Replacement and heading to Central depot for a driver break.
Thanks both. I didn't realize there was slack in the N Scotland fleet; I also saw Buchan-branded coaches in Edinburgh a few weeks ago so they must have been on rail replacement too.
Is there somewhere which provides a map with the tracker location for Stagecoach and/or Megabus vehicles at all? I tried the Megabus website but you can only view one service at a time there, and there's some routes aren't showing tracked vehicles at all (e.g. the 900). I recall someone saying they knew of one of the new "900 Glasgow - Edinburgh" coaches being used down to London, is this sort of thing purely from actually seeing the coach though?