• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is there a more detailed map available somewhere of the Stagecoach Inverness/Highlands coverage areas than the one pictured below?
(the original PDF was a bit more readable, but didn't provide any more information)

I'm trying to figure out if the stop Culloden Battlefield (line 2) is still within zone 1A or not…

View attachment 101592
Looking the Inverness City map, it suggests to me that it would be outwith zone 1a. To be honest, I don't think it's that far enough out of Inverness to be in zone 2, but I'm not certain. The terms and conditions for each ticket aren't clear on it either.

Attachments

• Inverness City from 6 July 2020.pdf
    488.3 KB · Views: 37
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martijn

Looking the Inverness City map, it suggests to me that it would be outwith zone 1a. To be honest, I don't think it's that far enough out of Inverness to be in zone 2, but I'm not certain. The terms and conditions for each ticket aren't clear on it either.
According to that map, it indeed looks I can forget about using a Inverness Zone 1A DayRider
Just a return ticket (from Inverness centre) will probably be the best option then! Too bad that those aren't available in the app (or even have their price listed…)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
According to that map, it indeed looks I can forget about using a Inverness Zone 1A DayRider
Just a return ticket (from Inverness centre) will probably be the best option then! Too bad that those aren't available in the app (or even have their price listed…)
If you use the journey planner on stagecoachbus.com (Inverness to Culloden Battlefield) it actually includes the 1A dayrider in the list of ticket options, but only if you take the 1 to Balloch and walk from there to the battlefield site! It's further on the bus and further to walk too!

I suspect there's no return fare due to the zone 2 ticket being cheaper than 2 singles.

It might be worthwhile sending them a tweet (@StagecoachHLand) or an email [email protected]

I noticed on the VOSA at the start of the week that there are changes to the Aviemore network on the 4th October.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I noticed on the VOSA at the start of the week that there are changes to the Aviemore network on the 4th October.
Bluebird also have some changes from the same date. It's unclear at this stage what the changes will be in full but what can be determined at this point is the following...

Bluebird

Service 64 (Aberdeen - Blackdog): Service reinstated, now operated by Central Coaches (formally Stagecoach)
Service 248 (Inverurie - New Byth): Once per week shopper service reinstated*
Service 270 (Fraserburgh - New Pitsligo): Saturday Service reinstated
Service 452 (Inverurie - Fraserburgh): Once per week shopper service reinstated*

Minor changes to the 4/5/6, 66, 69, 76/77, 81, 272, 273 (Watermill) & 405 (Deveron)

*248 & 452 were both withdrawn less than two weeks ago, evidently there's been a change of heart at Aberdeenshire Council already...

Highland

New 37/37A/X37 (Inverness - Carrbridge - Grantown - Aviemore - Cairngorn Ski Centre): Existing services 31/33/34/34X/37 simplified and merged
New 39/39A (Inverness - Carrbridge - Aviemore - Newtonmore): Existing Service 32 renumbered.

I'd presume the renumbering of Aviemore services is not only to simplify things but also to avoid duplication with the services in Elgin which use the numbers 31/32/33/34/35/36/38. If the Aviemore - Elgin service returns next summer it'll be interesting to see what number it uses as in the past it was the 39.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
28601 has been scrapped at under ten years of age. This is the second Highland K230UB to be scrapped following 28648 which was withdrawn in 2018 at the age of six and scrapped at the end of last year having sat at Inverness cannibalised for about two years.

Of the remaining K230UBs they're now mostly used on local work around Inverness only now with the Tain examples being replaced by integral E300s 27106/107/810/811/913/917 a few months back.

fraser158

If you use the journey planner on stagecoachbus.com (Inverness to Culloden Battlefield) it actually includes the 1A dayrider in the list of ticket options, but only if you take the 1 to Balloch and walk from there to the battlefield site! It's further on the bus and further to walk too!

I suspect there's no return fare due to the zone 2 ticket being cheaper than 2 singles.

It might be worthwhile sending them a tweet (@StagecoachHLand) or an email [email protected]
I can’t speak for their email replying skills but don’t bother tweeting them.

*Edit to add*

I was particularly annoyed with them today as an hourly bus failed to turn up and they had no information on Twitter about it, nor did they reply to me asking where the bus was.

Last edited:

Marty82

I can’t speak for their email replying skills but don’t bother tweeting them.

*Edit to add*

Particularly annoyed with them today as an hourly bus failed to turn up and they had no information on Twitter about it nor did they reply to me asking where the bus was.
Took a trip to Culloden Battlefield today and was sold a Zone 1A ticket for this.

Marty82

Ah, it was the Inverness Zone 1A DayRider you were talking about then, and not just a ticket to Culloden Battlefield (and back)…
I can buy that in-app!
Yes - that's the ticket. The zone covers a wide area for £4.50!

I suspect the 22 new buses will replace or at least part replace the E350Hs on the X17 & 59 and E400MMCs on the 727, the latter probably moving to the 201, where the displaced E350Hs go is anyones guess.

They're due for delivery in December.
Looks like you were correct.

The 727 bus service connecting the airport and the city to go electric

Local bus operator Stagecoach Bluebird has today confirmed the 727 route operated between the city and the airport will soon be operated using a new fleet of fully electric buses.

The £11.2 million investment in 22 electric buses for Aberdeen has been supported by £4 million from the Scottish Government Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme.

The fleet of 22 electric buses will be based at the Tullos depot and will bring a breath of fresh air to high frequency routes in Aberdeen including the popular 727 Aberdeen Airport service.

The double deck buses will be built at the Alexander Dennis factory in Falkirk before arriving in Aberdeen. Not only will the fleet reduce CO2 levels in the city but they are also low-floor easy-access and will be fitted with eleather seats – a material made entirely from recycled leather.

The new aviemore timetables starts tomorrow and the timetables seem confusing.
Good to see kingussie/newtonmore get regular local services on sundays and the cairngorm mountain service (formerly 31) extended to grantown/inverness.

Also, any news when the first batch of the new orkney buses will be delivered and entering service and what'll happen to the current buses on orkney. I'd imagine they will be cascaded elsewhere

Volvodart

Established Member

Hydrogen hits the Highlands​

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/north-scotland/2021/october/hydrogen-hits-the-highlands

04 Oct 2021

• Highlands capital to trial hydrogen bus this month
Inverness will soon become the next city to trial a hydrogen bus on routes across the city and as far north as Dingwall, Alness and Muir of Ord.
As a combined initiative between HITRANS, Protium Energy Limited and Opportunity Cromarty Firth, the hydrogen fuel cell bus is expected to operate from mid-October through to the November 2021 on bus routes operated by Stagecoach Highlands. The trial will conclude following the COP26 Climate Change Conference in Glasgow.
The Caetano hydrogen fuel cell bus has a 60kW Fuel Cell and a 44kW battery pack, providing a range of 400km with 30km of this distance powered by battery alone. The high performance bus emits zero CO2 emissions and the hydrogen fuel cells are stored in the vehicles roof, allowing more space on board for the comfort of passengers.

HITRANS Chair Allan Henderson and Highland Councillor said: “HITRANS is delighted to be involved in this project from the outset after an approach from Protium Energy Limited. In funding the hydrogen supply from Element2 we are demonstrating that the Highlands and Islands are willing and able play a key part in the development of Scotland’s hydrogen economy.”

David Beaton Managing Director at Stagecoach Highlands said: “We are looking forward to welcoming the hydrogen bus to our depot in Inverness. The future of transport is undoubtedly heading towards ultra-low and zero emission so it is really exciting to be able to trial this next generation of vehicles. Travelling by bus, when we can, is one of the easiest ways to address climate change through carbon reduction of our own journeys.”

Tim Harper, CEO of Element 2, said: “We are thrilled to be supplying the hydrogen for Stagecoach Highlands. It further reiterates our commitment to Scotland and our plans for growth."

The hydrogen fuel cell bus is expected to operate on Stagecoach services 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in the city and services 25, 26, 27 and 28 to the north of Inverness.
  • Explore

fraser158

And once again the only bus of the hour has been cancelled by Stagecoach and not a single titter on Twitter.

Sorry to be so negative, but it’s difficult to find positives when things so frequently go wrong when I use the bus so infrequently.

*Edit* Negative Nelly here has been proven wrong. It turned up 10 mins late.

Volvodart

Established Member

New Orkney buses to hit the road on Monday​

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/new-buses-to-hit-the-road-on-monday/

October 22, 2021 at 5:21 pm.

The first four buses in Stagecoach’s brand new fleet are set to hit Orkney’s roads, on Monday, October 25.

The buses, which arrived on Friday, October 15, are the first of 34 new vehicles which were bought as part of a £5.4 million contract between Orkney Islands Council and Stagecoach.

Asked where passengers will see the biggest improvement in the new buses, engineering manager for Stagecoach, Mark Malley, cited their reliability.

“Reliability for the buses themselves is phenomenal,” he said.

“The whole running gear is supplied by Volvo, which is renowned throughout the world for reliability.”

In total, Orkney will take delivery of 25 Volvo buses, with the remaining nine buses being built by Optare.

Three will be arriving this Saturday and one on Sunday. As of Monday, November 1, five will be arriving every week until the end of that month.

Has the hydrogen bus been in service yet? Not seen any photos of at all on the internet. Also, what is the situation with the new orkney buses. How many have been delivered/enter service so far?

Volvodart

Established Member
I presume it was in service, as West Coast Motors were subsequently using it in service.

Sorry to change the subject; does anyone know which number 10 departures from Aberdeen on weekdays are normally buses (rather than coaches)? I would guess that most of the Inverurie terminators would be buses (E300s?), what about the Huntly terminators?

Jordan1296

Sorry to change the subject; does anyone know which number 10 departures from Aberdeen on weekdays are normally buses (rather than coaches)? I would guess that most of the Inverurie terminators would be buses (E300s?), what about the Huntly terminators?
The 1355 to Huntly & 1455 to Keith on weekdays are both allocated to be a "normal bus" - but this isn't always the case, especially on the 1455.

alchemy

Has the hydrogen bus been in service yet? Not seen any photos of at all on the internet. Also, what is the situation with the new orkney buses. How many have been delivered/enter service so far?
5 Short Evoras in service SJ71HHG - HHN: 39501 - 39505
10 or more Long Evoras in service
SJ71HHP -HHZ and some others: 21369 - 21378. I've also seen 80, 82 and 84 which have HL* and HM* plates

alchemy

5 Short Evoras in service SJ71HHG - HHN: 39501 - 39505
10 or more Long Evoras in service
SJ71HHP -HHZ and some others: 21369 - 21378. I've also seen 80, 82 and 84 which have HL* and HM* plates
21386 and ,21388 now in service

Volvodart

Established Member
Bluebird has a new operating centre in Portlethen, near Aberdeen, presumably for the electric buses:-

BLUEBIRD BUSES LIMITED
Director(s): BRUCE DINGWALL, PETER ALAN KNIGHT, SAMUEL GREER, CARLA STOCKTON-JONES
BUS STATION, GUILD STREET, ABERDEEN, AB11 6NA
Decrease at existing operating centre: HILLVIEW ROAD, ABERDEEN, AB12 3HL
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 58 vehicle(s)
New operating centre: A & M SMITH SKIP HIRE LTD, Duffshill Road, ABERDEEN, AB12 4RX
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 22 vehicle(s)

It appears to first 3 of 8 new Solos for Orkney have entered service today (48051-3) according to bustimes.org.
I still only see 14 of the new Evoras being tracked so far. Have the remaining Evoras been delivered yet?
How much of the "old" stock remains in service on Orkney?

alchemy

It appears to first 3 of 8 new Solos for Orkney have entered service today (48051-3) according to bustimes.org.
I still only see 14 of the new Evoras being tracked so far. Have the remaining Evoras been delivered yet?
How much of the "old" stock remains in service on Orkney?
There are 19 evoras on the trackers including the shorter ones with 395xx fleet numbers
One not shown on tracker SN71HHX is parked outside Burray school tonight so some might only have been used on school services so far. HHY was on the depot on Tuesday.
Not many older ones left now.
Two waiting to go on ferry this morning .56312 or 56313 and 44749.
The electric bus is still here, 1 or 2 Streetlites, 37256, 53254 and 36955. Possibly a couple more on school runs but these are the only ones I've seen out and about this week.
3 new optares in service so far.

Last edited: